Cultivated Reef

Stones & Roses

jball1125

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice, looks like you've planted some seeds and the tank is starting to fill :D

Thanks Spencer! I think I'm just going to sit back and watch it grow for a while, adding only ”I must have” pieces every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on over here. Getting some decent growth on some pieces. Even the infamous Darth Mauls are growing.

Along with good growth I am getting bad growth too. Not sure what this algae is, but its taking over that top rock. Any suggestions to get rid of it?

IMG_0932.jpg

BTW the top algae is different than the smaller patch on the bottom.

Take your frags off the rock and scrub with a scrub brush, maybe hot water or let it dry out.

Yes this will kill bacteria and such but I don't see your clown and your frags shouldn't mind the loss

Since you can't pluck it off with your hands, a critter is the other option maybe a elephant conch, turbo snail, tiny sea hare (all are iffy)

However I don't think changing the lighting schedule or doing massive WC's will do anything in this case...

Take your frags off the rock and scrub with a scrub brush, maybe hot water or let it dry out.

Yes this will kill bacteria and such but I don't see your clown and your frags shouldn't mind the loss

Since you can't pluck it off with your hands, a critter is the other option maybe a elephant conch, turbo snail, tiny sea hare (all are iffy)

However I don't think changing the lighting schedule or doing massive WC's will do anything in this case...

Yea I tried plucking it but it just goes everywhere and I can already see growth coming from where the particles landed. The one on the bottom seems like some type of macro algae, it actually looks quite nice, if only it didnt grow so fast. The clown is in there but I dont think he would mind too much. My main concern is removing the rock since I did epoxy the crap out of it.

I have been thinking about covering it up with something to block the light from hitting it, not sure how though.

Added 2 smaller Mexican turbos today. Hopefully they will help some. If they start to cause too much havoc ill just give them back to the LFS.

So the turbos have definitely been munching down, unfortunately not on what I want them to munch down on, they have already knocked over some frags so back to the LFS they go tomorrow.

I honestly would replace that rock. The tank looks new enough where you don't have corals encrusted. You can try to fight that but at this point I think it would be easier to replace it with a new piece.

Well the turbos were way too clumsy for my taste, besides they didnt touch the purple stuff. I traded them in for a lawnmower blenny. Such a cool fish to watch, I have seen him pecking at all sorts of stuff but hasnt made his way up to the problem algae yet. We will see if he takes interest in it. Even if he doesnt I dont think ill take him back, I really like his character.

The blenny didnt seems to pay much attention to the algae. Unlike the turbos though I didnt return him, I like him.

I decided to take the cheato out of my AC70 because I honestly dont think that it does much, at least on such a small scale. I took advantage of the free space and squeezed the algae infested boulder in there to keep the bacteria but hopefully kill off the algae now that they wont be getting light.

How long do you guys think it will take before all that algae dies off???

• 2 weeks later...

At my mothers for the hollidays, checking the apex status through the android team viewer app and it works flawlessly.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Here are some crappy pics. Me and the camera could not get on the same page today.

Maxima has much brighter blue stripes.

IMG_1041.jpg

God of war palys are too far from the glass for my point n shoot. These are one of my favs.

IMG_1042.jpg

Nice clam! Do you have to feed the blenny then since it didn't like that big ball of algae?

THANKS!

He has other patches of algae here and there that he picks on.

• 1 month later...

Not much to update around these parts except a new misbar clown. He seems to be getting along just fine with my original one. Still having some weird macro algae issues. The stuff is actually pretty but its growing everywhere. Im at the point where I have decided to just let it be. If it starts to take over corals I will have to start over I guess.

Ill try and get some pics of the new clown and the nuisance algae soon.

Well here is a shot of the left and a shot of the right. Not looking its best but hopefully things will get better. Havent been feeding the corals to see if that helps with the macros.

IMG_1477_zps3a75cd1f.jpg

IMG_1476_zps075f6000.jpg

That type of purple turf algae is tough to eradicate once it takes hold. I had read some Posts on this stuff so when I saw some come in on a frag plug I removed it completely outside of the tank right away. I haven't seen any accounts of typical Nano creatures that will actively graze it, unfortunately, but you might try a few different types of hermit crabs to see if any of them have a liking for it.

Looks like you have plenty of fish, so you wouldn't need to feed the corals. Keeping inorganic phosphate and nitrate very low (to keep algae growth restricted) will be tough with three decent sized fish, but doable with regular detritus removal, WCs and possibly using GFO and a skimmer.

Looking forward to seeing the clown pics.

Archived