ReefCleaners.org

Stones & Roses

jball1125

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gramophone

So I thought the nem had attached but apparently not, it got blown to the back of the tank :angry: . Ill have to go reaching in tomorrow, Anyone know how long these guys take to attach?

Did he get blown back, or did he move back there on his own?

Slow down or shut off the flow in your tank. That will give the nem time to attach its foot. Thats what I did with my carpet and long tentacle nems when they did not want to attach. To remove them/detach its foot, you blast them with flow.

Thats what I did but I guess when I turned the flow back on too quick.

Wow, those are excellent additions!

Thank you :)

Did he get blown back, or did he move back there on his own?

No he definitely got blown away.

Ha! That jellyfish seems so out of place. The food looks fantastic.

Yea thats what I thought too, there were bunch of them.

I tried getting the nem but when I got near it it sunk into the sand, its in a very hard to reach spot, I think this might be one of those $40 lost in the sand type of things.

Nano sapiens

Glad you found the Nem. In a small tank it's not so tough to find, but when I had a 50g it was a lot more difficult if anything fell through the cracks.

Thank, it wasnt easy but yea in a larger tank it would probably have been impossible.

I had to take out the new emerald because he was a coral muncher, I saw him taking chunks off of my perfectly healthy duncan in the middle of the night. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Turf Algae keeps getting worse, already its killed off two frags. I added an urchin but the only thing I notice is it moving frags around. I think it might be time to tear it down... <_<

But there are so many things you can try before you need to consider tearing down your tank!

...from your first post, is the turf algea the red stuff?

Nano sapiens

Turf Algae keeps getting worse, already its killed off two frags. I added an urchin but the only thing I notice is it moving frags around. I think it might be time to tear it down... <_<

That would be a shame.

Im open to options but I feel the purple macro type algae is taking over, i don't want to loose all my corals.

Nano sapiens

You could cover all the major areas with underwater epoxy. After a few weeks remove the epoxy and it should all be dead.

Another option would be spot treating outside the aquarium with hydrogen peroxide.

I was thinking of converting the tank into a clown and nem tank. If I am able to cover most of the rock with nems that should drain the light from the algae, plausible?

i would remove the rock and scrub scrub scrub. then you just got to keep it from growing back. phosban and purigen along with more water changes until it's gone.

do you have any idea why you are getting so much algea?

Not sure why, its the only nuisance algae giving me a problem. All params are ideal and water changes are of 40% each week.

well as you know, low phos. can be because of the algea, but i would think GHA would be more of a problem...well good luck anyways.j

scrub scrub scrub scrub, scrub

You will most definitely regret taking down your tank, jball. I almost took down my tank a few months ago after facing an annoying and perpetual dilemma. I'm so glad I didn't. It's such a gratifying thing to beat an issue like this. It will make you appreciate your tank so much more. Don't give up! But if you finally decide to, an anemone/clownfish tank would be a cool thing to have. :happy:

Thanks for the encouraging comments but I am not tearing down and quitting I just want to at least save my frags before the problem gets worse. I will probably try the epoxy idea, sounds easy enough.

Nano sapiens

Thanks for the encouraging comments but I am not tearing down and quitting I just want to at least save my frags before the problem gets worse. I will probably try the epoxy idea, sounds easy enough.

Good luck and hope you get this pest algae under control.

Archived