Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stones & Roses

jball1125

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my first casualty, besides the jumper. The smaller LPT died on me. I think the other LPT might have battled it. Im not sure if that can happen or not but the damage started from the side the other LPT was touching. By the time I noticed it looked pretty bad. I separated them to see if it would come back but it just got worse. I removed it from the tank today.

jedimasterben
I had my first casualty, besides the jumper. The smaller LPT died on me. I think the other LPT might have battled it. Im not sure if that can happen or not but the damage started from the side the other LPT was touching. By the time I noticed it looked pretty bad. I separated them to see if it would come back but it just got worse. I removed it from the tank today.

nope, heliofungia are fine to touch, they will not sting each other. long tentacle plates really just do not survive in captivity, with very, very few exceptions (research institutions typically cant keep them either). the smallest nick on their flesh and they will not survive, they immediately get brown jelly infections, which is most likely what happened to the first. keep it on soft substrate (ie no sharp shells, crushed coral, anything like that, only sand), give it intense lighting, and feed it meat every few days and youre doing the best you can.

once you notice tissue recession, its probably beyond saving. dip it iodine often and it has a slight chance of recovery, but if it loses any part of the mouth, it will not survive and should be discarded.

nope, heliofungia are fine to touch, they will not sting each other. long tentacle plates really just do not survive in captivity, with very, very few exceptions (research institutions typically cant keep them either). the smallest nick on their flesh and they will not survive, they immediately get brown jelly infections, which is most likely what happened to the first. keep it on soft substrate (ie no sharp shells, crushed coral, anything like that, only sand), give it intense lighting, and feed it meat every few days and youre doing the best you can.

once you notice tissue recession, its probably beyond saving. dip it iodine often and it has a slight chance of recovery, but if it loses any part of the mouth, it will not survive and should be discarded.

Thanks for the tips Jedi. The survivor seems to be doing just fine. We will see how much longer I can keep it.

Updated FTS.

IMG_0849.jpg

Added some Macros, Forest Fire digi and another ric.

Killer! I like the scape and coral/macro selection so far!

Love the new FTS. & I spy blastos ;)

Thanks owenj, you might be able to spot more very soon. ;)

Killer! I like the scape and coral/macro selection so far!

Thanks Spirofucci! Im really digging the new scape and the macro is just awesome! I cant wait for the flame one to take over that back corner, it has amazing color.

I think success can be measured by the fact I did not realize this was only 12 gallons. Great job, can't wait to see this mature!

Thanks Mark.

I think its doing pretty good, the polyps are always out and color looks the same as when I purchased it. The color is interesting, like a real deep grey/blue with greenish polyps. Nothing crazy but I wanted to test the waters with an affordable acro. I think I feel safe enough to purchase some higher quality ones now.

Your Acro looks like it is doing well!

The Heliofungia are often not easy. Hope yours recovers. I have seen apparently dead fungia skeletons sprout new babies after a few months, so even if it looks like a skeleton, you might want to keep hidden in the back somewhere and see if this happens.

The Heliofungia are often not easy. Hope yours recovers. I have seen apparently dead fungia skeletons sprout new babies after a few months, so even if it looks like a skeleton, you might want to keep hidden in the back somewhere and see if this happens.

Thanks but I tossed it, smelled like pure death and I was a little paranoid about keeping it in. -_-

jedimasterben

Only Fungia reproduce like that, Heliofungia only produce one child skeleton at a time, and as far as I know, it's only while alive. I kept the skeleton of one in my tank for eight months and nothing happened.

Only Fungia reproduce like that, Heliofungia only produce one child skeleton at a time, and as far as I know, it's only while alive. I kept the skeleton of one in my tank for eight months and nothing happened.

Thanks for the knowledge Jedi. :)

Archived