Pod Your Reef

Stones & Roses

jball1125

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to mention that I removed the blenny so there is only the two clowns. Ill look into some hermits, any I should avoid?

Avoid any of the larger growing hermits. Look for 'Red Leg', 'Scarlet', 'Blue Leg', 'Dwarf Zebra'. The biggest I've had were the 'Halloween' variety from Hawaii. They can move frags around, but are generally harmless.

Avoid any of the larger growing hermits. Look for 'Red Leg', 'Scarlet', 'Blue Leg', 'Dwarf Zebra'. The biggest I've had were the 'Halloween' variety from Hawaii. They can move frags around, but are generally harmless.

Thanks for the info, ill try and pick some up in the hopes that they munch on the turf algae.

Thanks man. If the hermits dont put a dent in the stuff I think I will be getting rid of most of the corals and will to try for a nem/clown tank. I dont think a big bubble tip will be affected by the turf stuff.

Added 3 small turbos an emerald crab and 2 blue leg hermits. Let see is any of them like the turf. Ill add more hermits during the weekend. My LFS only had blue legs...

Updated Full tank shot. Not looking its greatest but its about time I took one.

IMG_1156_zps6f157444.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on the turf algae I would really appreciate the help.

I was looking through a Thread on RC and saw this:

"If its red turf, mexican turbos work great, took care of mine within 2wks, urchins as well."

I believe 'Tuxedo Urchins' are the smaller ones. Very likely that you'll loose coralline algae, too, though.

I tried mexican turbos, they are huge and knock over everything. I have heard urchins are good I might give them a try.

Thanks for chiming in.

I added an urchin to my tank when I was having gha problems and a month later I am algae free. I definitely recommend one.

I added an urchin to my tank when I was having gha problems and a month later I am algae free. I definitely recommend one.

I have been searching for a tuxedo urchin but the ones my lfs have are huge. What type did you add? Also how bad are they at knocking over frags??

Very nice tank! I like how much coral you have in that little tank too!

SeahawkReefer

Maybe an abalone? Or chiton? I had a gha problem and added a Hectors Goby who loves the stuff... 90% gone now, but dont know if any of these will eat what u r having a problem with though. As a last resort pull the rocks with turf algae and let them sit for a day in a bucket with hydrogen peroxide! Of course live rock will prob not be "live" anymore, but no algae!

Maybe an abalone? Or chiton? I had a gha problem and added a Hectors Goby who loves the stuff... 90% gone now, but dont know if any of these will eat what u r having a problem with though. As a last resort pull the rocks with turf algae and let them sit for a day in a bucket with hydrogen peroxide! Of course live rock will prob not be "live" anymore, but no algae!

Yea hopefully I don't have to resort to that.

Ill check out the putty thread, sounds interesting.

Well I am excited to inform that the turf algae is slowly but surely being munched away by non other than the turbo snails. I guess I can forgive a few knocked over frags. I cant really tell if the hermits are picking at it or between it but either way I like them so they are staying. Ill try and get some pics up soon to show the difference.

Thanks to all that commented with ideas to get rid of the stuff, I really appreciate it!

Good to hear that it's getting munched on.

Thanks man, havent had time to take pics but I promise they are coming soon. I have moved some things around and added a green sylo.

Time for a pic dump. Turf algae is on its way out and tank is starting to look good again.

IMG_1517_zps7d8133c4.jpg

IMG_1521_zps615532a9.jpg

IMG_1493_zpsf70cba99.jpg

IMG_1496_zps88e5840b.jpg

IMG_1495_zps82dda234.jpg

IMG_1494_zpsb788d518.jpg

IMG_1497_zpsc006b933.jpg

IMG_1513_zps22444c9a.jpg

IMG_1506_zpsc18c6ae4.jpg

IMG_1519_zps45919c93.jpg

IMG_1518_zpsb15f8f19.jpg

And one of the very special tank heroes!

IMG_1515_zps8fffae7f.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So for the past few days I have noticed that my purple stylo hadnt been extending its polyps, this morning the majority of it was bleached. All my params are good, not sure what could have cause it. It is receiving less flow now, could that have caused the problem??

Archived