SaltCritters.com

Stones & Roses

jball1125

Nano sapiens

I had something either the same or very similar in my 50g. I had a small yellow tank in there for a while and he loved mowing through this stuff. If I had this problem today, I'd scrub as much off as possible in a bucket, then cover what remains with epoxy for a few weeks to make sure it dies.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had something either the same or very similar in my 50g. I had a small yellow tank in there for a while and he loved mowing through this stuff. If I had this problem today, I'd scrub as much off as possible in a bucket, then cover what remains with epoxy for a few weeks to make sure it dies.

Wish I could finda creature that would eat the stuff. Do you have an epoxy you would recommend?

You could always peroxide dip your rocks. From what I have heard it doesnt not harm coral and it helps to kill algae. Its just you have to treat and dip them for a few weeks but it works.

You could always peroxide dip your rocks. From what I have heard it doesnt not harm coral and it helps to kill algae. Its just you have to treat and dip them for a few weeks but it works.

I guess I could but I would practically be tearing it down just so I can dip the rocks, It would probably be easier to remove all the corals place them in a frag tank and then treat the rock separately.

You can try what I did. I drained the tank to lower than the level of rocks I wanted to treat (my issue was gelidium). I didn;t throw away the water since it was going to be put back after the treatment. I dribbled peroxide on the rocks as needed, let it sit for 3 minutes and filled the tank back up again. I did this during a tank move so my corals were without water for an hour, the last 3 minutes of which were the peroxide bath. All corals are still alive.

If you have a cleaner shrimp, it will not survive a peroxide treatment like this.

Also have plenty of salt water on hand for a big water change if needed after the treatment.

You can try what I did. I drained the tank to lower than the level of rocks I wanted to treat (my issue was gelidium). I didn;t throw away the water since it was going to be put back after the treatment. I dribbled peroxide on the rocks as needed, let it sit for 3 minutes and filled the tank back up again. I did this during a tank move so my corals were without water for an hour, the last 3 minutes of which were the peroxide bath. All corals are still alive.

If you have a cleaner shrimp, it will not survive a peroxide treatment like this.

Also have plenty of salt water on hand for a big water change if needed after the treatment.

That sounds a lot easier than having to remove all the rocks. Do you have a link to a more detailed explanation of the process, like what percentage of peroxide, amount, duration etc? I appreciate the help.

Air broke while I was away for the weekend and tank temps reached 88. Everything is still alive but the few sps i have are NOT happy.

Nano sapiens

Air broke while I was away for the weekend and tank temps reached 88. Everything is still alive but the few sps i have are NOT happy.

Ouch, that is never a good thing. Hope they pull through for you.

Once you scrub the rocks, you should get some chitons from reef cleaners. Or maybe a small urchin, if you are looking for critters to that will help out.

Once you scrub the rocks, you should get some chitons from reef cleaners. Or maybe a small urchin, if you are looking for critters to that will help out.

I already tried an urchin but the particular species wasnt interested in the turf algae. I have been meaning to pick up a small tuxedo but the ones at the LFS are huge. Ill see if my LFS carries chitons. THanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Everything seems to have pulled through thankfully. Including this bubble tip I got before the weekend.

That's good to hear!

Thanks guys, I love the bubble tip. I only wish it wouldnt have moved to the back/side of my tank. Clowns havent even noticed it yet :/

How often do you guys feed your nems? The bubble tip takes small pieces of silverside like no tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

LOVE the nems, jball. There's something about that BTA that makes me want to steal it from you. I'll have to resist ;)

How's the battle going?

Thanks guys. The urchin died about 2 days ago. Not sure what happened but he didnt really do anything. Im still waiting for a tuxedo to come in at the LFS. Havent really had time to hand clean between work and summer chem classes but I will get at it soon.

Going to the LFS tomorrow, hopefully they have some tuxedos. Anything else ya'll would recommend? Even if it has to be a temporary addition.

Did they end up having a tuxedo for ya?

Got tied up and wasnt able to make it. Ill probably give it a shot tomorrow after work.

I have an idea but Im not sure if it will work. I have heard already from several people that tangs love the weird purple algae Im getting. Would it be possible to add a small tang, only temporarily till the stuff is gone? Are there even any tangs that can be kept in my tank without getting stressed out. Obviously Im not thinking of adding a huge purple tang and will only do this if someone can convince me its wont be dangerous toward the fish

Archived