Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

So I am sitting in my basement watching my fish as they were watching me and all of a sudden the lights go out. I was an electrician for 40 years and I can count on one hand how many times my circuit breaker tripped in my house while I was not doing anything like leaf blowing, arc welding or running some heavy equipment. So I look around and I was mixing up some saltwater and in that 30 gallon tub I have a powerhead and 3 heaters.

So before I turn back the breaker I figured it must be one of the heaters. It's always a heater. So I lift one and it is fine, I lift the second one and it is fine. Then I remove the third one and it is all black and scurvy inside and it is full of water. As I am looking for a crack on the glass, it dawned on me. The crack wasn't in the glass, it was in my head. That heater was "not" a submersible heater. It used to have a bracket on the side to hang it on the side of the tank. Like Duh. I have like 8 heaters and I just pick out a few, plug them in and throw them in a tub of water. I should have realized it wasn't submersible when it floated. I even got a big 1/2' nut and rubber banded it to the thing to keep it underwater.

It's just great getting old.

So now I have a spare, large test tube that I can make a really small Nano tank out of

Wow that is a bummer ... that must have been a real old heather as the ones sold now are submersible and the non-submerisble ones are not that common anymore IME ....

And yes now you a a Pico Pico tank indeed .... :)

Albert

I still have a few that are not submersible and must be very old as they are run by steam.

Albert, I still have a lot of stuff from my freshwater days and sometimes still find a marble in my reef as some of the rocks have been in there from the 50s or 60s. If I look hard enough I can probably find some 45s under my gravel by Frankie Valley from the Four Seasons.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I still have a few that are not submersible and must be very old as they are run by steam.

Albert, I still have a lot of stuff from my freshwater days and sometimes still find a marble in my reef as some of the rocks have been in there from the 50s or 60s. If I look hard enough I can probably find some 45s under my gravel by Frankie Valley from the Four Seasons.

Well those must be really old indeed :)

And on the marbles ... I remember those days but I don't think there are too many who do or why we use them :)

And yes who knows what else is underneath those filter plates ... you may even find some strange creatures living happily underneath there ... and some really strange ones too

Albert

I need to go to the dentist. I have 9 tooth implants, yes 9, I could be the poster child for implants. In Viet Nam I had a tooth ache, so they sent me to a semi rear area where the guy pulled my tooth, a few days later I had the same toothache and it was back on another helicopter to the same guy who said, "Oh, it must be this tooth" and he pulled that one. So I had two spaces and when I got out of the army they paid for a bridge. Bridges only last so many years and they destroy the teeth they are anchored to so I needed a couple of more implants, and they don't do them for free. I mean it is an 8 minute procedure with 25 cents worth of titanium and each one is like 3 grand. Even if the implant was made out of diamonds and 4 Supermodels held your hand during the procedure and stayed with you until the pain went away and they performed it on Broadway while they were showing "Phantom of the Opera" it shouldn't cost that much. OK maybe only 3 Supermodels and they are showing Cats. But you are stuck and it is what it is. (although my dentist does have some almost supermodels working there which almost makes it worthwhile)

So I have one place where there are 2 implants (thanks to the army) and there are 3 crowns on it. That makes it a cantilever and the end tooth doesn't have any support so the thing gets loose every 6 months. I want the DDS to put a screw in the tooth farthest from the end that has no support but he says he is afraid the screw will break. If I could stand to heat myself scream, and I had a drill small enough I would fix it myself because, to me, it is a no brainer. But that is what college does to you, it takes away your creativity and forces you to only think inside the box. I don't like boxes and find these things just stupid.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I need to go to the dentist. I have 9 tooth implants, yes 9, I could be the poster child for implants. In Viet Nam I had a tooth ache, so they sent me to a semi rear area where the guy pulled my tooth, a few days later I had the same toothache and it was back on another helicopter to the same guy who said, "Oh, it must be this tooth" and he pulled that one. So I had two spaces and when I got out of the army they paid for a bridge. Bridges only last so many years and they destroy the teeth they are anchored to so I needed a couple of more implants, and they don't do them for free. I mean it is an 8 minute procedure with 25 cents worth of titanium and each one is like 3 grand. Even if the implant was made out of diamonds and 4 Supermodels held your hand during the procedure and stayed with you until the pain went away and they performed it on Broadway while they were showing "Phantom of the Opera" it shouldn't cost that much. OK maybe only 3 Supermodels and they are showing Cats. But you are stuck and it is what it is. (although my dentist does have some almost supermodels working there which almost makes it worthwhile)

So I have one place where there are 2 implants (thanks to the army) and there are 3 crowns on it. That makes it a cantilever and the end tooth doesn't have any support so the thing gets loose every 6 months. I want the DDS to put a screw in the tooth farthest from the end that has no support but he says he is afraid the screw will break. If I could stand to heat myself scream, and I had a drill small enough I would fix it myself because, to me, it is a no brainer. But that is what college does to you, it takes away your creativity and forces you to only think inside the box. I don't like boxes and find these things just stupid.

That is crazy indeed ... 3K for 1 implant is insane !

I think here in ATL they do implants for $995 ... and the actual posts alone to which a denture can be attached are around $600 I think each ... not sure but I seem to remember having seen an ad on TV advertising those prices

Well not sure what to suggest Paul ...

Albert

albertthiel

That may be true in Atlanta Albert, but maybe here in New York we smile broader. :D

Yes but it seems that each smile is a lot more expensive than here :) :)

Perhaps SS ones are cheaper :)

Albert

My tank is running well, everybody is happy, the pair of pistol shrimp are still digging up the entire tank and toppling rocks, the clown gobies are still spawning and killing the acropora's, the fireclown's are still fighting/spawning and both of them hate the copperband but he doesn't care and takes great joy in antagonizing them, My favorite dragon faced pipefish is still looking very cool as are my pair of mandarins, the possum wrasse still hardly ever comes out and I may get another one so I will have two fish I never see and the bluestripe pipefish are in there someplace, but I don't know where. The bananafish are very bright yellow and real Snazzy. The arrow crab shed his shell and the Bangai's will probably spawn soon. Besides that, everything is as it should be.

2014-04-30131102_zps6ac3f9ab.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

My tank is running well, everybody is happy, the pair of pistol shrimp are still digging up the entire tank and toppling rocks, the clown gobies are still spawning and killing the acropora's, the fireclown's are still fighting/spawning and both of them hate the copperband but he doesn't care and takes great joy in antagonizing them, My favorite dragon faced pipefish is still looking very cool as are my pair of mandarins, the possum wrasse still hardly ever comes out and I may get another one so I will have two fish I never see and the bluestripe pipefish are in there someplace, but I don't know where. The bananafish are very bright yellow and real Snazzy. The arrow crab shed his shell and the Bangai's will probably spawn soon. Besides that, everything is as it should be.

2014-04-30131102_zps6ac3f9ab.jpg

Well reading all of that Paul it seems like all is OK in your Tank :)

Everyone is behaving and acting as they should and holding their ground

Good news ...

Albert

albertthiel

Albert, any idea what this beauty is?

DSC07982.jpg

Not easy to tell but could be 1 polyp for Oulophyllia ..

Is this a frag you got somewhere ?

Albert

No Internet for the last couple of days but I am expecting an engineer to fix it sometime this afternoon. On my phone at the mo so not ideal. Grrrrrrrrr

• Like 1
albertthiel

No Internet for the last couple of days but I am expecting an engineer to fix it sometime this afternoon. On my phone at the mo so not ideal. Grrrrrrrrr

Sorry to read it Les and I hope they do get it fixed for you soon ... nothing worse indeed than having to reply to messages on forums from your phone ... slow and prone to mistakes I find it to be ....

So hopefully it will get fixed today ..

Albert

My internet is back up and running some engineer bright spark disconnected me while doing some works outside it seems.

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Melacanthus atrodorsalis the Yellow tailed fang blenny today at a very reasonable price £24 the pair which is about $40 at today's exchange rate. I say a pair as I can't be 100% sure but they were in the same tank and coexisting well without any aggression between them. I have always had a soft spot for the forktail blennies as they are referred too and although IME they are quite placid fish wo betide any fish that decides to have a go at the newcomers. Most will know that they are also referred to as poison fang blennies for obvious reasons. They are currently settling into their new home and I hope to capture a pic or two in a few days and post them here.

• Like 1
albertthiel

My internet is back up and running some engineer bright spark disconnected me while doing some works outside it seems.

Yes very clever guy indeed ... happens here too .. they do work somewhere in the neighborhood and cut wires they should not be cutting or disconnect them at the POP and the next thing you know you have no Internet ...

Happened to me as well at times and I am sure it did happen to others too ...

Glad to see you are back online !

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I bought a pair of Melacanthus atrodorsalis the Yellow tailed fang blenny today at a very reasonable price £24 the pair which is about $40 at today's exchange rate. I say a pair as I can't be 100% sure but they were in the same tank and coexisting well without any aggression between them. I have always had a soft spot for the forktail blennies as they are referred too and although IME they are quite placid fish wo betide any fish that decides to have a go at the newcomers. Most will know that they are also referred to as poison fang blennies for obvious reasons. They are currently settling into their new home and I hope to capture a pic or two in a few days and post them here.

Gorgeous fish indeed but with some possible drawbacks as you point out ... those interested in any should definitely do some reading up on them ...

Meiacanthus atrodorsalis

%20Meiacanthus%20atrodorsalis.png

I gather this is the one you mean .... (note the © of the image)

Albert

• Like 1

Yes that's the one. Mine are still quite small at about 2.1/2" and not fully coloured up as yet. Thanks for posting the pic Albert.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Yes that's the one. Mine are still quite small at about 2.1/2" and not fully coloured up as yet. Thanks for posting the pic Albert.

Yes they are gorgeous fish indeed Les ... and out of all the pics I saw of them that one seemed to be one of the most appalling I came across ...

Nice ...

I hope they do well in your tank ...

Albert

Nice looking fish, I don't remember ever having one of them, but I don't remember last Tuesday.

What's a Tuesday?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nice looking fish, I don't remember ever having one of them, but I don't remember last Tuesday.

Yes it sure is and that pic really shows the fish very well ....

I thought you would have seen these in the past or even kept them .. but then there are so many fish that obviously there are some that one has never kept and may never keep

Albert

albertthiel

What's a Tuesday?

The day after Monday and before Wednesday Less :) :)

Or that day that comes after the many "boxing" days you have in the UK :)

Albert

• Like 1

we also have a pancake Tuesday Albert. ii is a bank holiday weekend here and I am staying with friends. we are off walking in the lakes soon. hope my fish are fine when I get home on Tuesday the day before Wednesday lol.

• Like 1

Is this Stylocoeniella?

DSCI0053_zps3d987a48.jpg

Is this porites, the original coral I bought was larger and dead with feather dusters living it.

DSCI0050_zps1ed5e925.jpg

~Thanks

• Like 1