Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

This is something I have not seen before with pipefish. The copperband seeks out this pipefish and they stay together while the pipefish inspects and eats irritations or maybe parasites that I can't see off the copperband.

They have been together for 15 minutes so far and the copperband seems to be smiling. The multibanded pipefish is to large to get inside his gills but he finds some bits of food on his skin.

2014-05-18112129_zps60f69b1f.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

well the lights at buildmeled you don't actually build, you just drag and drop which colors you want into place, their wattage is low but it seems their par reading can be high

PS1290S201ALAMALTAPLAMALA.jpg

Yes that is why I said you do not have to give the builder exactly what you want, meaning formatting the light in the manner you wish

Albert

I got another multi banded pipefish and may go back tomorrow as they have 5 of them.

I am just putting this picture here because I can.

GandT_zps7466ceba.jpg

Nice Paul ... and glad to read you found a source for Pipefish ...

And I see you are a Happy Grandfather :)

Albert

albertthiel

This is something I have not seen before with pipefish. The copperband seeks out this pipefish and they stay together while the pipefish inspects and eats irritations or maybe parasites that I can't see off the copperband.

They have been together for 15 minutes so far and the copperband seems to be smiling. The multibanded pipefish is to large to get inside his gills but he finds some bits of food on his skin.

2014-05-18112129_zps60f69b1f.jpg

Very interesting Paul ...

I wonder whether the Pipefish will do that again ....

Albert

A member on another forum was informing people about the problems of high temps = reduced oxygen levels in the tank. However you can help overcome this by using an Oxydator which will increase oxygen levels and also increase redox. In fact an Oxydator affect on water quality and oxygen levels when using an oxydator can be measured with a redox meter. I borrowed a lab grad redox meter some years ago to help evaluated the increase in both oxygen and water quality when using Oxydators. Few hobbyists own such an instrument but if you do or can borrow one try it and see for yourself.

• Like 2
albertthiel

A member on another forum was informing people about the problems of high temps = reduced oxygen levels in the tank. However you can help overcome this by using an Oxydator which will increase oxygen levels and also increase redox. In fact an Oxydator affect on water quality and oxygen levels when using an oxydator can be measured with a redox meter. I borrowed a lab grad redox meter some years ago to help evaluated the increase in both oxygen and water quality when using Oxydators. Few hobbyists own such an instrument but if you do or can borrow one try it and see for yourself.

Indeed Les ... and hopefully more and more Hobbyists will start to do so at some point especially when Oxydators become available again in the US

Unfortunately when that will happen remains an unknown.

The fact that Oxydators increase the water quality has been confirmed over and over by those who use them, as can be seen on other forums, esp. European ones where the Oxydators are widely available.

Hopefully North America will see them come on the market again in the not too distant future, but as I said " hopefully" as I have no indication yet at this point when or whether that may happen ...

Albert

The big fill begins on my Fluval Edge 46L. Half the water of from my 2' cube following a water change the other is fresh salt water as the RO fills it. The stand I made out of a small free standing bathroom cabinet I got off eBay on Saturday for £16.

FluvalEdge22_zps67a8af75.jpg

Not finished aquascaping it yet I need some living rock. I put the Oxydator in there to clear the tank water which it has done. However it will be moved to a new position when the aquascaping is complete.

• Like 1
albertthiel

The big fill begins on my Fluval Edge 46L. Half the water of from my 2' cube following a water change the other is fresh salt water as the RO fills it. The stand I made out of a small free standing bathroom cabinet I got off eBay on Saturday for £16.

FluvalEdge22_zps67a8af75.jpg

Not finished aquascaping it yet I need some living rock. I put the Oxydator in there to clear the tank water which it has done. However it will be moved to a new position when the aquascaping is complete.

Looking food Les .... and I see you started the set up sooner than I had expected ...

Just hope that stand can hold that weight especially if some water spills fall on it and if it is made out of compressed wood or some similar material ..

And do I see a PC right next to it ? :)

Albert

• Like 1

Looking food Les .... and I see you started the set up sooner than I had expected ...

Just hope that stand can hold that weight especially if some water spills fall on it and if it is made out of compressed wood or some similar material ..

And do I see a PC right next to it ? :)

Albert

What you can't perhaps see can't quite see Albert is that I increased to size of the base which is black on a very dark blue carpet. No chance of it falling over etc. Yes indeed this is my junk/spare bedroom/PC room. I do spend quite a bit of time in here on the old PC in fact that's why I decided to put the tank in here. Although I have a laptop and a tablet plus my android phone I still prefer the good old PC. :)

• Like 1
albertthiel

I got him a girlfriend today, she is a cutie

2014-05-19131238_zpsa8087759.jpg

2014-05-19131402_zpsd56eead6.jpg

Very Very Very nice Paul ...

I like them a lot

Albert

albertthiel

What you can't perhaps see can't quite see Albert is that I increased to size of the base which is black on a very dark blue carpet. No chance of it falling over etc. Yes indeed this is my junk/spare bedroom/PC room. I do spend quite a bit of time in here on the old PC in fact that's why I decided to put the tank in here. Although I have a laptop and a tablet plus my android phone I still prefer the good old PC. :)

Yes I am sure you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent it from tipping over etc ...

And it is indeed amazing how we sometimes like older stuff .... maybe it is because of our age :)

Albert

• Like 1

The cabinet is now quite sturdy and strong now. It's not old but kind of reproduction I guess. I am waiting on a guy getting back to me regarding some live rock he has for sale. then I can finish filling the tank.

Yes I am sure you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent it from tipping over etc ...

And it is indeed amazing how we sometimes like older stuff .... maybe it is because of our age :)

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

The cabinet is now quite sturdy and strong now. It's not old but kind of reproduction I guess. I am waiting on a guy getting back to me regarding some live rock he has for sale. then I can finish filling the tank.

Yes I sure hope it is as you don't want the whole thing to come tumbling down ....

And we be ;poking for updated pics as you get along setting it up Les

Albert

Unfortunately for the fast growing Montipora, the torch corals grow faster and sting them to death very quickly. Oh Well he should have grown the other way.

2014-05-21133649_zpsbcf27719.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Unfortunately for the fast growing Montipora, the torch corals grow faster and sting them to death very quickly. Oh Well he should have grown the other way.

2014-05-21133649_zpsbcf27719.jpg

Unfortunately indeed but not much you could have done about it except tweak the water flow so the growth went in the other direction

Albert

Most of the time it goes in the other direction but that montipora grew there on it's own with no help from me. As you know they grow all over the place and are a fast grower. But the torch also grew pretty fast and everything, it seems sting acropora's.

It's fine, I have a bunch of them and they do try to grow away from stinging tentacles.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Most of the time it goes in the other direction but that montipora grew there on it's own with no help from me. As you know they grow all over the place and are a fast grower. But the torch also grew pretty fast and everything, it seems sting acropora's.

It's fine, I have a bunch of them and they do try to grow away from stinging tentacles.

Indeed growth directions can be unpredictable even when one controls the flow directions in the aquarium sometimes so one does not have control at all over where the growth will occur ...

Sorry to read it but glad you have plenty more in the aquarium

Albert

Pipefish Buffet. These are two multi banded and one dragon face pipefish eating new born brine shrimp that they get a few times a day.

Video

th_2014-05-22093008_zps9967bb87.jpg

Here are stills of them

2013-05-05152412_zps2a69aff1.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

Pipefish Buffet. These are two multi banded and one dragon face pipefish eating new born brine shrimp that they get a few times a day.

Video

th_2014-05-22093008_zps9967bb87.jpg

Here are stills of them

2013-05-05152412_zps2a69aff1.jpg

Very Nice Paul and they seem to really being enjoying their meals too ... I can see them mule "Give me more, give me more, give me more"

Albert

albertthiel

So I went to the eye doctor for a 9:30 appointment and figured I would be back by 11:00 or so

Well believe it or not, after all they did and the delays and the tests and then the decision that I have to have cataract surgery in early June, I actually just got home now ... at nearly 3 pm

'

Wow ...

Albert

Early this morning I had to call an ambulance for my wife. She needs surgery to remove a cyst on her spine that has been extremely painful but last night was to much. We had an appointment to see a surgeon today but she couldn't wait so they admitted her and hopefully soon she can have the surgery and get some relief as this has been going on for 3 months.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Early this morning I had to call an ambulance for my wife. She needs surgery to remove a cyst on her spine that has been extremely painful but last night was to much. We had an appointment to see a surgeon today but she couldn't wait so they admitted her and hopefully soon she can have the surgery and get some relief as this has been going on for 3 months.

I am sorry to read it Paul but I am sure she will be well taken care of and the cyst will be removed so she is no longer in pain.

My thoughts and Prayers are with her and with you ...

Albert