Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Albert, My tubes are not sold in Marine Depot. So between those and the Majano Wand, I can go out to dinner, once.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_onPoint_Coral_Feeder_Coral_Feeders-AquaMaxx-UJ00175-FIFDFECR-vi.html

I guess you mean they are now sold by Marine Depot, and as good as they are I hope they sell thousands of them, of course that would keep you kind of busy making them all :)

Albert

• Like 1

Albert, I will gladly make thousands.

I can't believe how stupid I am. Well, yes I can. I have been having a problem losing pipefish for a long time and I couldn't figure out why.

But I did now and I should have realized it which is driving me crazy because I usually see these potential problems. The problem started a couple of years ago when I changed from my ancient 25+ year old powerheads and started using Korilla's. The pumps are fine but they have a bunch of long slots on the sides where the water enters to be pumped out by the propeller.

That slot is the same diameter as most pipefish and pipefish not being the tuna's of the sea, can't pull free once they get stuck in a slot.

Now I think I solved the problem as I glued these acrylic bands around the powerhead. This one is done and I will now do the other one. I still have my dragon faced pipefish but if I had not seen this, He would be toast, or at least pipefish gel.

Now I am trying to get a few more pipefish but of course no one has any.

2014-05-15123528_zps43af9cf0.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

Albert, I will gladly make thousands.

I can't believe how stupid I am. Well, yes I can. I have been having a problem losing pipefish for a long time and I couldn't figure out why.

But I did now and I should have realized it which is driving me crazy because I usually see these potential problems. The problem started a couple of years ago when I changed from my ancient 25+ year old powerheads and started using Korilla's. The pumps are fine but they have a bunch of long slots on the sides where the water enters to be pumped out by the propeller.

That slot is the same diameter as most pipefish and pipefish not being the tuna's of the sea, can't pull free once they get stuck in a slot.

Now I think I solved the problem as I glued these acrylic bands around the powerhead. This one is done and I will now do the other one. I still have my dragon faced pipefish but if I had not seen this, He would be toast, or at least pipefish gel.

Now I am trying to get a few more pipefish but of course no one has any.

2014-05-15123528_zps43af9cf0.jpg

Good catch Paul on what may have been happening indeed .... and I agree that the suction of these PH's can be so strong that small fish that get too close get indeed sucked against the sides of them and then cannot swim loose ...

And I like how you solved the issue ... Nice !!

Keep us posted and let us know how it works out for you

Albert

P.S. ... BTW the next issue of the Nano Reef Aquarium Newsletter is in the works and nearly completed and your article on Pipefish is in it. I expect to release it around the 20th ...

albertthiel

Cool, I can't wait to read it as I already forgot what I said

A lot of very interesting information on them ...

Albert

Ordered another Oxydator "D" as one of the companies here in the UK have a special offer on them just £23.40 inc shipping. $39 approx. I am picking up the tank stand I won on eBay tomorrow with a bit of luck. The weekend there is a Feefest in the UK and it's not being held so far from me. I will be attending the event tomorrow which is being held at Cockfields farm one of the best LFSs in the country. They always have some great fish, corals and frags in and they are sure to be fully stocked for the event. Cockfields is about 40 mins drive from me. :) Anything I do buy coral wise will have to be shoehorned into my 2': cube until my Fluval Edge is up and running. I wont be buying much (he says :rolleyes: ) as my new tank is going to be stocked with frags from my 2' cube. I will be off camping and walking in the English Lake District the weeks after next for 5 days so I won't set the tank up fully until my return but hope to have water in it and turning over with some rock in it.

Details of the event here.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/thesaltybox-com-news/150433-reeffest-2014-itinary-weekend-17-18th-may.html

• Like 1

I will be looking for a couple of small (read very small fish for my new 46L when I am ready to put fish in it (not so many) I fancy a pair of Bluestripe Pipefish (Doryrhamphus excisus) be a while though as the tank needs to be well matured with plenty of pods etc. Even at 46L the tank might be too small for a pair. I will wait to read Paul's article before I decide one way or another.

I have an article I wrote many years ago on the snake pipefish a fish I really enjoyed owning. Not a shy fish at all and a I once saw on e feed on my common clown fish eggs much the the annoyance of the attending clowns but they never attacked it and the pipefish moved on after it had eaten half a dozen or so .

• Like 1
albertthiel

Ordered another Oxydator "D" as one of the companies here in the UK have a special offer on them just £23.40 inc shipping. $39 approx. I am picking up the tank stand I won on eBay tomorrow with a bit of luck. The weekend there is a Feefest in the UK and it's not being held so far from me. I will be attending the event tomorrow which is being held at Cockfields farm one of the best LFSs in the country. They always have some great fish, corals and frags in and they are sure to be fully stocked for the event. Cockfields is about 40 mins drive from me. :) Anything I do buy coral wise will have to be shoehorned into my 2': cube until my Fluval Edge is up and running. I wont be buying much (he says :rolleyes: ) as my new tank is going to be stocked with frags from my 2' cube. I will be off camping and walking in the English Lake District the weeks after next for 5 days so I won't set the tank up fully until my return but hope to have water in it and turning over with some rock in it.

Details of the event here.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/thesaltybox-com-news/150433-reeffest-2014-itinary-weekend-17-18th-may.html

That is a real good price indeed Les ... wow ... wish they had them for that price here in the US .. :(

Yes Cockfields is a great store and I saw their event announced on one of the FB Groups and so I was aware that it was happening and anyone who does not live too far away should really try to attend that event for sure.

And indeed do not buy too much as you don't really have that much space left in the 2 Cube of hours :)

And have a good time on your trip ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I will be looking for a couple of small (read very small fish for my new 46L when I am ready to put fish in it (not so many) I fancy a pair of Bluestripe Pipefish (Doryrhamphus excisus) be a while though as the tank needs to be well matured with plenty of pods etc. Even at 46L the tank might be too small for a pair. I will wait to read Paul's article before I decide one way or another.

I have an article I wrote many years ago on the snake pipefish a fish I really enjoyed owning. Not a shy fish at all and a I once saw on e feed on my common clown fish eggs much the the annoyance of the attending clowns but they never attacked it and the pipefish moved on after it had eaten half a dozen or so .

Yes the selection of fish for that tank will have to be well thought out I gather but I am sure you will come up with the right choices Les.

And going with Pipefish might be a good idea indeed ...

As I said the next Newsletter will be available around the 20th so in a few days, long before you set that tank up I think :)

Albert

• Like 1

Just like to thank Mark and all the staff of Cockfields and the Salty Box admin boys for putting on a superb day. I only came for the free sausage barm and coffee and spent over £100. Think I was mugged lol.giflol. The 20% off all livestock was just too much to resist but then they knew that lol.gif. Wish I could have stayed longer but had to go somewhere on the way home and wanted to get my purchases back given it was so warm with my corals and fish in the car.

hard to get a good pic but the place was bursting with people.
Reefest_zps8fc5a6a2.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Just like to thank Mark and all the staff of Cockfields and the Salty Box admin boys for putting on a superb day. I only came for the free sausage barm and coffee and spent over £100. Think I was mugged lol.giflol. The 20% off all livestock was just too much to resist but then they knew that lol.gif. Wish I could have stayed longer but had to go somewhere on the way home and wanted to get my purchases back given it was so warm with my corals and fish in the car.

hard to get a good pic but the place was bursting with people.

Reefest_zps8fc5a6a2.jpg

Sounds like it was a great event .... and I can imagine that you wanted to get home indeed with all your purchases especially if it was warm and maybe even hot for a change :) and not raining :)

Glad you enjoyed it ...

ALBERT

• Like 1

Yeah it was and I didn't even stay for the speakers. I had to detour to pick up the cabinet I won on the bay for my new tank. There are some great raffle prizes as well and I bought 5 tickets so here's hoping. I would have gone back tomorrow but I am working :angry:

• Like 1
albertthiel

Yeah it was and I didn't even stay for the speakers. I had to detour to pick up the cabinet I won on the bay for my new tank. There are some great raffle prizes as well and I bought 5 tickets so here's hoping. I would have gone back tomorrow but I am working :angry:

Well if you win anything hopefully they will call you ...

You sure have been loading up on "goodies" lately :)

Albert

• Like 1

Well if you win anything hopefully they will call you ...

You sure have been loading up on "goodies" lately :)

Albert

Yeah I bought a red scooter blenny and zoa colony 5 Mexican turbos 2 Acan frags a torch frag and another LPS frag I forget the name and a small blasto colony while there.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Yeah I bought a red scooter blenny and zoa colony 5 Mexican turbos 2 Acan frags a torch frag and another LPS frag I forget the name and a small blasto colony while there.

Wow that is a lot to add to your tank that is already quite loaded up .... but I guess you'll be moving some of all of that to the new tank so you should be OK I am sure ....

Nice new acquisitions ... happy reef keeping with them

Albert

• Like 1

Wow that is a lot to add to your tank that is already quite loaded up .... but I guess you'll be moving some of all of that to the new tank so you should be OK I am sure ....

Nice new acquisitions ... happy reef keeping with them

Albert

Yep they are all in my 2' cube and will be moved over to tge new tank after my short holiday. I have also bagged a Polario M4 nano wave maker pump from a guy which will fit nicely on the back of my Edge. If that's not quite enough flow I have 2 spare powerheads both Koralia's a 900 and a 1600 but doubt I will use both with the Polario.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Yep they are all in my 2' cube and will be moved over to tge new tank after my short holiday. I have also bagged a Polario M4 nano wave maker pump from a guy which will fit nicely on the back of my Edge. If that's not quite enough flow I have 2 spare powerheads both Koralia's a 900 and a 1600 but doubt I will use both with the Polario.

Sounds like you have it all well planned out Les ... and yes with all the extra equipment you have lying around you should be able to set that new tank up really well ...

Albert

• Like 1
Sounds like you have it all well planned out Les ... and yes with all the extra equipment you have lying around you should be able to set that new tank up really well ... Albert
I am a great believer in careful planning when it comes to setting up a new tank Albert it reduces stress and makes it more fun. However even the best laid plans etc.

My tank is full to bursting now but it will only be for a few weeks when I can transfer the stock I bought today over to the Edge. I was going to stock it with just frags from my cube but the quality of stock plus the events 20% off persuaded me to invest in the frags etc I bought today.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I am a great believer in careful planning when it comes to setting up a new tank Albert it reduces stress and makes it more fun. However even the best laid plans etc.

My tank is full to bursting now but it will only be for a few weeks when I can transfer the stock I bought today over to the Edge. I was going to stock it with just frags from my cube but the quality of stock plus the events 20% off persuaded me to invest in the frags etc I bought today.

Indeed patience and planning is the key ... and I have a feeling you are going to end up with two full-fledged tanks Les :)

Albert

• Like 1
itsyahboydanny

Albert, I need help picking a light, what do you think about the lights from buildmyled.com? I working on a 10 gallon nano. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert, I need help picking a light, what do you think about the lights from buildmyled.com? I working on a 10 gallon nano. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes that would be a way to go but take a look at the suggestion made by Les ... that is an excellent way to go as well and ready made so no need to build one yourself or give the builder specs of what you actually want

Albert

• Like 1