inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Early this morning I had to call an ambulance for my wife. She needs surgery to remove a cyst on her spine that has been extremely painful but last night was to much. We had an appointment to see a surgeon today but she couldn't wait so they admitted her and hopefully soon she can have the surgery and get some relief as this has been going on for 3 months.

Hope your wife is doing better Paul ...

Albert

Oh dear Paul sounds more like the UK than the US cancelling her surgery like that such things happen all the time here. Never used to be like that bet we imported such from the US. Anyway lets hope she gets her operation on Tuesday with no more delays. Good luck and best wishes to your wife.

• Like 1

My new Fluval 46L Edge is still maturing it seems. I have a light loving sea whip frag in which is doing quite well but some Zoas have yet to open fully. I go away on Wednesday for 5 days walking and camping in the English Lakes and have auto top ups on both tanks along with timers on the lights. Neither tanks will get fed after Wednesday am until my return on the following Sunday. All fish should be fine while I am away. There are no fish in my new Edge of course and wont be until I am happy its time to add a couple. We have had a lot of rain the last few days but its nice now just hope the weather holds for us. I am working this afternoon until 8pm. Tomorrow I will pack everything read for an early start on Wednesday.

• Like 1
albertthiel

She is not happy Albert, they cancelled her surgery until Tuesday. Still in a lot of pain.

That is a bummer indeed ... and so I understand that she is not happy at all ... and in pain ...

Well hopefully it will be taken care of tomorrow .... I am pretty sure it will ...

Happy Veteran's Day to you ... and all other Vets who read this

Albert

albertthiel

Oh dear Paul sounds more like the UK than the US cancelling her surgery like that such things happen all the time here. Never used to be like that bet we imported such from the US. Anyway lets hope she gets her operation on Tuesday with no more delays. Good luck and best wishes to your wife.

Yes that and giving you an appt time and then when you get there for that time, you have to wait an hour or more because ... well who knowns why ... but you sit there and sit there and jut loose more and more time ..

Albert

albertthiel

My new Fluval 46L Edge is still maturing it seems. I have a light loving sea whip frag in which is doing quite well but some Zoas have yet to open fully. I go away on Wednesday for 5 days walking and camping in the English Lakes and have auto top ups on both tanks along with timers on the lights. Neither tanks will get fed after Wednesday am until my return on the following Sunday. All fish should be fine while I am away. There are no fish in my new Edge of course and wont be until I am happy its time to add a couple. We have had a lot of rain the last few days but its nice now just hope the weather holds for us. I am working this afternoon until 8pm. Tomorrow I will pack everything read for an early start on Wednesday.

I am pretty sure things will be OK Les and I wish you a nice few days off in walking and camping ...

And with the ATO's in place and timers on the lighting all should be all right ...

And yes I am sure that your fish can do for a few days without food ....

Albert

Thanks Atoll, The CAT scan shows that the cyst is very large and grew into the bone. So to repair it he has to remove the cyst and do a bone graft with a bone from her hip. He also wants to fuse that part of her spine. It is a 3 hour procedure with a 4 month recuperation time but during those 4 months she can walk and he said even go on the boat, but not to go crazy. She is in good spirits right now. The operation is 4:00pm tomorrow.

• Like 1

My wife's operation lasted for five hours. She wasout of recovery at 4:00am this morning. Everything went well. They fused the disk in her lower spine with titanium rods. In a lot of pain now but that is to be expected

Thanks paul

• Like 1
albertthiel

My wife's operation lasted for five hours. She wasout of recovery at 4:00am this morning. Everything went well. They fused the disk in her lower spine with titanium rods. In a lot of pain now but that is to be expected

Thanks paul

Glad to read they too care of the surgery and the needed removal of that cyst or growth Paul ....

And yes I expect that she is in a lot of pain after an operation like that, but it is for the better and once that pain subsides she will be in great shape again.

Give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery please.

Albert

My wife just had surgery for two cysts on her back. She was in a lot of pain and the five hour surgery went well. Now she has two titanium ground rods in her lower spine. It could have been worse, she doesn't have Pop Eye or anything.

Today I visited her in the hospital. She is in a large hospital here in New york with a very good reputation. She is in a private room with another woman. An Asian lady whom my wife introduced me to. I asked what part of China she was from and she said she is Mandarin. I figured that because she is very attractive, has a very small mouth and had on a very colorful robe. All she ate was these tiny shrimp, and she only ate one about every 15 seconds all day as long as the lights were on. Her husband secretely told me she is very high maintenance.

My wife is doing fine as long as they keep giving her morphine. An aid came in and poured her a pitcher of RO/DI water which I immediately tested with my Salfert kit and electronic TDS meter. I complained that it was a little cold and she likes it between about 78 and 82 degrees. If it is to cold, and she doesn't have time to become accustomed to it, my wife will just lay on the floor and possably get psorisis. On her legs thay have these plastic bladders that look like little kids swimmies. They inflate and deflate every few seconds and are powered by two "Coralife Super Luft Pumps"

I was there early in the morning and they were gut loading her breakfast which consisted of eggs and mashed potatoes with Selcon. I noticed that the mashed potatoes were made out of instant potato flakes so I told the nurse that she doesn't eat flake food so they better bring her a whole potato. Her IV drip doses her with milk with extra "calcium" and "Alk a Seltzer".

My wife is in one of those real nice, State of the Art hospital beds with the bars on the sides so she doesn't go carpet surfing. After a while the nurse came in again ( I think she does Supermodel work on the side) and she wanted to give my wife a two minute freshwater dip, so we both helped her to the shower and I made sure the temperature and pH was the same as the water in her pitcher. I also specified that she only use water that was treated with "Chemi Clean". As we brought her back to the room, a maintenance guy was just about to clean her window with "Mag Float". I told him it would be better if he used a razor blade. He did a pretty good job but the next day I could easily tell the spots where he missed with the razor as they started to turn red.

They keep this hospital room extreamly clean as it is a bare bottom room, no rugs or anything and the only decorations are plain white PVC structures. I think they also inject Ozone to purify the air. The air filter near the window was provided by "Those Filter Guys" and contains a large "Poly Filter". The floor is vacuumed daily by the CUC (clean up crew) but what I didn't understand was that the maintenance guy also used a turkey baster to blow dust out from behind the furnature.

Eventually another nurse came in and she was French, she was "extreamly" nice and I thought of her as an angel, a French Angel. She also brought the surgeons, "Drs. Fosters and Smith". They were very nice and let her pick her meds out of their catalog. She picked PraziPro, tetracyline, Metronidazole and flat worm exit. We paid a little extra for next day delivery because I love my wife and only want the best for her.

If all goes well, she will be coming home in two days. She is still in pain but that is to be expected and I am praying for a speedy recovery so I can get her out of quarantine.

I have a picture of her in the hospital bed and I was going to post it, but then I thought about it. I thought that pretty soon she is going to be in better shape than me so I re thought posting that picture. After she gets home I will gingerly ask her if I could post that picture. It is safer like that. For me

• Like 2
albertthiel

My wife just had surgery for two cysts on her back. She was in a lot of pain and the five hour surgery went well. Now she has two titanium ground rods in her lower spine. It could have been worse, she doesn't have Pop Eye or anything.

Today I visited her in the hospital. She is in a large hospital here in New york with a very good reputation. She is in a private room with another woman. An Asian lady whom my wife introduced me to. I asked what part of China she was from and she said she is Mandarin. I figured that because she is very attractive, has a very small mouth and had on a very colorful robe. All she ate was these tiny shrimp, and she only ate one about every 15 seconds all day as long as the lights were on. Her husband secretely told me she is very high maintenance.

My wife is doing fine as long as they keep giving her morphine. An aid came in and poured her a pitcher of RO/DI water which I immediately tested with my Salfert kit and electronic TDS meter. I complained that it was a little cold and she likes it between about 78 and 82 degrees. If it is to cold, and she doesn't have time to become accustomed to it, my wife will just lay on the floor and possably get psorisis. On her legs thay have these plastic bladders that look like little kids swimmies. They inflate and deflate every few seconds and are powered by two "Coralife Super Luft Pumps"

I was there early in the morning and they were gut loading her breakfast which consisted of eggs and mashed potatoes with Selcon. I noticed that the mashed potatoes were made out of instant potato flakes so I told the nurse that she doesn't eat flake food so they better bring her a whole potato. Her IV drip doses her with milk with extra "calcium" and "Alk a Seltzer".

My wife is in one of those real nice, State of the Art hospital beds with the bars on the sides so she doesn't go carpet surfing. After a while the nurse came in again ( I think she does Supermodel work on the side) and she wanted to give my wife a two minute freshwater dip, so we both helped her to the shower and I made sure the temperature and pH was the same as the water in her pitcher. I also specified that she only use water that was treated with "Chemi Clean". As we brought her back to the room, a maintenance guy was just about to clean her window with "Mag Float". I told him it would be better if he used a razor blade. He did a pretty good job but the next day I could easily tell the spots where he missed with the razor as they started to turn red.

They keep this hospital room extreamly clean as it is a bare bottom room, no rugs or anything and the only decorations are plain white PVC structures. I think they also inject Ozone to purify the air. The air filter near the window was provided by "Those Filter Guys" and contains a large "Poly Filter". The floor is vacuumed daily by the CUC (clean up crew) but what I didn't understand was that the maintenance guy also used a turkey baster to blow dust out from behind the furnature.

Eventually another nurse came in and she was French, she was "extreamly" nice and I thought of her as an angel, a French Angel. She also brought the surgeons, "Drs. Fosters and Smith". They were very nice and let her pick her meds out of their catalog. She picked PraziPro, tetracyline, Metronidazole and flat worm exit. We paid a little extra for next day delivery because I love my wife and only want the best for her.

If all goes well, she will be coming home in two days. She is still in pain but that is to be expected and I am praying for a speedy recovery so I can get her out of quarantine.

I have a picture of her in the hospital bed and I was going to post it, but then I thought about it. I thought that pretty soon she is going to be in better shape than me so I re thought posting that picture. After she gets home I will gingerly ask her if I could post that picture. It is safer like that. For me

You are too funny Paul ... but I am glad your wife is doing OK and the the surgery took place ...

Lovely decryption of it all :)

Albert

This seaweed is growing in a marina near mine and as soon as I can leave my wife for a little while (she just came home from the hospital and has to use a walker for a while until she can walk on her own)

I want to collect some and see if it will grow in my tank. Of course it will probably take over the entire tank but who cares? That would be so cool. I have not seen this type of algae before and it may be new to the western Long Island Sound.

Seaweed_zps3d9914eb.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

This seaweed is growing in a marina near mine and as soon as I can leave my wife for a little while (she just came home from the hospital and has to use a walker for a while until she can walk on her own)

I want to collect some and see if it will grow in my tank. Of course it will probably take over the entire tank but who cares? That would be so cool. I have not seen this type of algae before and it may be new to the western Long Island Sound.

Seaweed_zps3d9914eb.jpg

Interesting ... is it invasive you think ... looks like a type that will indeed grow fast and dense ....

Keep us posted paul

And I hope you wife is not in too much pain after the operation and that she gets well real soon ... give her my best and tell her she is in my thoughts for a rapid well being

Albert

Indeed Les ... and hopefully more and more Hobbyists will start to do so at some point especially when Oxydators become available again in the US

Unfortunately when that will happen remains an unknown.

The fact that Oxydators increase the water quality has been confirmed over and over by those who use them, as can be seen on other forums, esp. European ones where the Oxydators are widely available.

Hopefully North America will see them come on the market again in the not too distant future, but as I said " hopefully" as I have no indication yet at this point when or whether that may happen ...

Albert

A member on another forum was informing people about the problems of high temps = reduced oxygen levels in the tank. However you can help overcome this by using an Oxydator which will increase oxygen levels and also increase redox. In fact an Oxydator affect on water quality and oxygen levels when using an oxydator can be measured with a redox meter. I borrowed a lab grad redox meter some years ago to help evaluated the increase in both oxygen and water quality when using Oxydators. Few hobbyists own such an instrument but if you do or can borrow one try it and see for yourself.

Indeed Les ... and hopefully more and more Hobbyists will start to do so at some point especially when Oxydators become available again in the US

Unfortunately when that will happen remains an unknown.

The fact that Oxydators increase the water quality has been confirmed over and over by those who use them, as can be seen on other forums, esp. European ones where the Oxydators are widely available.

Hopefully North America will see them come on the market again in the not too distant future, but as I said " hopefully" as I have no indication yet at this point when or whether that may happen ...

Albert

Wondering if there is much difference in water quality in the display tank if you keep the Oxydator in the sump?
  • Like 1

I will try to get some of that seaweed into my tank as I have not seen it before. It is probably invasive which is why it is growing there where no one has seen it before. That harbor is right near the channel in the Sound where ships from all over the world go through so it may be an invasive species. I can't get out of the house now as my wife can't do anything on her own and needs a walker just to move a little so it will take a while before I am able to do just about anything

• Like 1
albertthiel

Wondering if there is much difference in water quality in the display tank if you keep the Oxydator in the sump?

The water from the sump gets purified and then is pushed up to the DT by the pump or pumps in the sump so eventually the water quality in both the sump and the DT are the same and higher than they were before without the Oxydator IME

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I will try to get some of that seaweed into my tank as I have not seen it before. It is probably invasive which is why it is growing there where no one has seen it before. That harbor is right near the channel in the Sound where ships from all over the world go through so it may be an invasive species. I can't get out of the house now as my wife can't do anything on her own and needs a walker just to move a little so it will take a while before I am able to do just about anything

I sure understand Paul .... no rush ... we'll see them when you get a chance to get some ...

Take well care of your wife which I am sure you are doing .... and I hope she has a rapid recovery and is able to move around without that walker ...

Albert

albertthiel

If you had a 5 gallon tank how would you stock it fish wise?

Very low stocking ... maybe two fish e.g. as Paul said Pipefish, or maybe a Citron Goby and Pipefish ... Definitely small and non aggressive fish and a cover over the tank to prevent fish from jumping, just in case. It may not be necessary depending on what you select but it is safer.

Another choice would be a Citron Goby and maybe a Bi-0color Blenny ...

Albert

Wow, I hate to play devils advocate, but are you guys really recommending keeping pipefish or a bi color blenny in a 5 gallon tank ?

The only fish I would keep in such a miniscule aquarium would be a small angler - they barely move.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Wow, I hate to play devils advocate, but are you guys really recommending keeping pipefish or a bi color blenny in a 5 gallon tank ?

The only fish I would keep in such a miniscule aquarium would be a small angler - they barely move.

Yes but the Angler would take up the whole Aquarium :)

Albert

• Like 1