Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Hi Albert I had a brief exchange of PMs on another forum with Adrian (seahorse breeder) re using Oxydator's in new setups. I suggested it was best to let a new tank complete the nitrogen cycle before introducing an Oxydator. I reasoned that by introducing one from the beginning that you were short circuiting the natural biological maturation of the tank by eliminating ammonia thereby.making maturation take longer. This he agreed with. However I have used Oxydator's on first start up of a tank but am unsure if this did indeed extend the maturation period or not.It makes sense to me it would extend the maturation time for the reason given above. However there is a plus side to using an Oxydator from the beginning in that it would in effect reduce the possibility of undesirability algae getting a hold.

• Like 1

On another note I bought a small rock with 25 yellow Polyps (Zoanthids) witha couple of button polyps on it yesterday which I have placed in my Fluval Edge tank. They are already out . I have not had success with these before and they can be temperamental from what I have read. I will take a few pic's and post in a few days if they continue to do well. In the meantime here is a link to id them.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+2856+675&pcatid=675

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert I had a brief exchange of PMs on another forum with Adrian (seahorse breeder) re using Oxydator's in new setups. I suggested it was best to let a new tank complete the nitrogen cycle before introducing an Oxydator. I reasoned that by introducing one from the beginning that you were short circuiting the natural biological maturation of the tank by eliminating ammonia thereby.making maturation take longer. This he agreed with. However I have used Oxydator's on first start up of a tank but am unsure if this did indeed extend the maturation period or not.It makes sense to me it would extend the maturation time for the reason given above. However there is a plus side to using an Oxydator from the beginning in that it would in effect reduce the possibility of undesirability algae getting a hold.

Yes I too would agree that it may extend the cycle somewhat but how long would remain to be determined and not sure anyone has done any testing to prove or disprove that.

I have done like you : start the tank and add the Oxydator right from the beginning and have not seen any negative effects but as you say a lot less incidence of undesirable nuisance algae that so often appear during the cycle. I have not seen their total elimination tough, but have noticed that there are far far fewer ...

Albert

On another note I bought a small rock with 25 yellow Polyps (Zoanthids) witha couple of button polyps on it yesterday which I have placed in my Fluval Edge tank. They are already out . I have not had success with these before and they can be temperamental from what I have read. I will take a few pic's and post in a few days if they continue to do well. In the meantime here is a link to id them.

I believe they have been identified as a species of Epizoanthus possibly couchii

Albert

albertthiel

Just took a quick pic of my Yellow Polyps. They have even fed today.

Yellowpolyps_zpsbe4fd375.jpg

Nice Les and yes they look like Epizoanthus species polyps

Albert

• Like 1

Nice Les and yes they look like Epizoanthus species polyps

Albert

Not Epizoanthus couchii though from the pic's I have seen of them Albert.

• Like 1

I am sure blackworms would help with the anti aging but I would have to put a lot of ketchup on them.

As for this storm, I think this will be a Sissy storm and nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I am sure blackworms would help with the anti aging but I would have to put a lot of ketchup on them.

As for this storm, I think this will be a Sissy storm and nothing to worry about.

No there's an idea ... blackworms ! That should do it indeed but not too sure about the Ketchup .. you may need some 5 Fire Chili Sauce I think :)

And yes based on what they now say on the News I guess you are right that storm is not going to do much up North

Albert

Talking of alternative food etc did you know many health freaks advocate drinking ozonated water and swear to its usefulness?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Talking of alternative food etc did you know many health freaks advocate drinking ozonated water and swear to its usefulness?

Interesting Les and any idea why ?

Distilled is very pure too

Albert

Interesting Les and any idea why ?

Distilled is very pure too

Albert

Oh yes Albert most certainly and I have 2 friends who drink ozinated water. They drink it as they believe it adds oxygen to the blood stream which in turn feeds the brain and other vital organs. Many report it has helped those suffering with Alzheimer and dementia bringing back alertness memory and arresting the diseases. Here is a brief overview of it.

http://falconblanco.com/health/ozone/ozwater.htm

• Like 1
albertthiel

Oh yes Albert most certainly and I have 2 friends who drink ozinated water. They drink it as they believe it adds oxygen to the blood stream which in turn feeds the brain and other vital organs. Many report it has helped those suffering with Alzheimer and dementia bringing back alertness memory and arresting the diseases. Here is a brief overview of it.

http://falconblanco.com/health/ozone/ozwater.htm

Thanks Les ... There seem to be many many reports and articles on the Net about this but I have yet to find a true medical review of the benefits of doing so .. not saying that it is not good, as you suggest, but all I have found doing a quick search are anecdotal and commercial articles not scientific ones... if you have a medical/scientific ref link I certainly would be happy to read it and see what they have to say ...

Thanks

Albert

I am not endorsing it nor do I drink ozinated water Albert I am simply informing you why many people drink it and what they believe inc 2 of my friends. It is after all alternative medicine.

I take Glucosamine sulphate. Some will tell you its useless and has no affect. I know for certain in my case and for what I take it for it works for me and works very well. You cannot buy it on prescription here in the UK and but it is quite legal to buy and use. Why do I use it? Well I have arthritis in the joints of my fingers possible due the fact I worked a large part of my life as a joiner/carpenter. I know for a fact 100% it helps me enormously to relive my finger joints problem there is no doubt about it. 50% of people taking it report great benefits from taking it the rest report no change why it works for some and not others I don't know.

The interesting things is why can't I get it on prescription. Now that is another debate all together I will leave you to ponder. Some would argue those who pay the piper call the tune. I will say this however there was a big push to ban alternative health remedies in the UK but there was a lot of resistance from the public to at least water the bill down and thankfully I can still buy Glucosamine with no problem.

• Like 1

I also take glucosamine chondroitin and I am in the 50% of the people that it doesn't work on. I think I could take a bath in the stuff and all it may do is grow hair, not that that would be a bad thing. I just had 5 shots in each knee which was supposed to be this miracle knee drug, I think it is made of mandarin slime and being mandarins don't have knees, it didn't do anything. Last week I had a cortisone shot in my hand. That also didn't do anything but the good part is that the pain from the shot in the hand is so intense that it makes you forget the other pains so it was a good thing. I like getting old and having a different pain every day, It makes me want to get up in the morning to see what it will be today.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Parazoanthus gracilis

• Like 1
albertthiel

I am not endorsing it nor do I drink ozinated water Albert I am simply informing you why many people drink it and what they believe inc 2 of my friends. It is after all alternative medicine.

I take Glucosamine sulphate. Some will tell you its useless and has no affect. I know for certain in my case and for what I take it for it works for me and works very well. You cannot buy it on prescription here in the UK and but it is quite legal to buy and use. Why do I use it? Well I have arthritis in the joints of my fingers possible due the fact I worked a large part of my life as a joiner/carpenter. I know for a fact 100% it helps me enormously to relive my finger joints problem there is no doubt about it. 50% of people taking it report great benefits from taking it the rest report no change why it works for some and not others I don't know.

The interesting things is why can't I get it on prescription. Now that is another debate all together I will leave you to ponder. Some would argue those who pay the piper call the tune. I will say this however there was a big push to ban alternative health remedies in the UK but there was a lot of resistance from the public to at least water the bill down and thankfully I can still buy Glucosamine with no problem.

Well I am glad it works for you Les .. and here in the US it is also available over the counter and some say it works and others that it really does not do much for them, (as Paul seems to point out).

But good that it helps you and I am sure a number of others.

It gets advertised a lot here and is widely available

As to the ozonated water I guess we will have to wait and see what the medical establishment comes up with as recommendations

Albert

albertthiel

I also take glucosamine chondroitin and I am in the 50% of the people that it doesn't work on. I think I could take a bath in the stuff and all it may do is grow hair, not that that would be a bad thing. I just had 5 shots in each knee which was supposed to be this miracle knee drug, I think it is made of mandarin slime and being mandarins don't have knees, it didn't do anything. Last week I had a cortisone shot in my hand. That also didn't do anything but the good part is that the pain from the shot in the hand is so intense that it makes you forget the other pains so it was a good thing. I like getting old and having a different pain every day, It makes me want to get up in the morning to see what it will be today.

Sorry to read it does not work for you Paul ... and also that the cortisone did not do it. I had several shots in the shoulder for severe pain in the rotor cuff and that worked just fine for me.

Hopefully if they give you more shots of cortisone it may work for you ... well I hope so as arthritis is very painful indeed.

Happy 4th of July

Albert

I had 3 shoulder operations and 3 knees. 2 of the shoulder operations were Sissy arthroscopic operationg but one was a real, Man operation where they removed my entire arm and sent it out for repairs. I got some cool screws and staples, probably a couple of toggle bolts also

• Like 1

Right now I am out in my boat anchored off my favorite tide pool. It's a beautiful day and quote a few people are in the water. Earlier it was low tide and I took the dinghy to shore just to explore. I have been coming here for most of my life so I don't expect to find anything new but if I find an interesting bottle, can or a bag of 100 dollar bills I will take it to put in my tank. The amphipods are out in force, they are probably still celebrating from the 4th of July. I didn't collect any as I already have to many. I just took a few giant barnacles to glue to bottles in my reef.

In a little while I will put the outboard on the dinghy and chug around the boats here to see if I know anyone, anyone with some spare clams on the half shell or linguini and clams. My boat is loaded with beer, wine and Champaign as I plan on being out here with friends for a few days. To get here people can take the water taxi from the town dock which is very convenient as I don't have to ferry people back and fourth as that puts a kink in my partying

• Like 1
albertthiel

I had 3 shoulder operations and 3 knees. 2 of the shoulder operations were Sissy arthroscopic operationg but one was a real, Man operation where they removed my entire arm and sent it out for repairs. I got some cool screws and staples, probably a couple of toggle bolts also

:) must be a problem when you go through security at an airport :) all that metal inside of you ....

But yes operations are no fun and some are even less fun than others ... hope you have not had to have any very serious ones.

Albert

Right now I am out in my boat anchored off my favorite tide pool. It's a beautiful day and quote a few people are in the water. Earlier it was low tide and I took the dinghy to shore just to explore. I have been coming here for most of my life so I don't expect to find anything new but if I find an interesting bottle, can or a bag of 100 dollar bills I will take it to put in my tank. The amphipods are out in force, they are probably still celebrating from the 4th of July. I didn't collect any as I already have to many. I just took a few giant barnacles to glue to bottles in my reef.

In a little while I will put the outboard on the dinghy and chug around the boats here to see if I know anyone, anyone with some spare clams on the half shell or linguini and clams. My boat is loaded with beer, wine and Champaign as I plan on being out here with friends for a few days. To get here people can take the water taxi from the town dock which is very convenient as I don't have to ferry people back and fourth as that puts a kink in my partying

Well it sounds like you are having or had a great time there with all that food and all the libations you mention which would make you forget about catching amphipods anyway I would think ...

Not sure about putting a bag with 100 dollar bills in the tank but hey why not you have put all kinds of "stuff" I'm that tank so that bag of goodies may just top it all of :)

Hoping you had a great time ... and enjoyed the July 4 week-end or are still enjoying it if you have not gone back home yet.

Albert

you could take that even further, when I worked for Dr. Martin Feldman, and Garry Null ( alternative medicines) we had patients doing Intravenous ozone treatments.

• Like 1
albertthiel

you could take that even further, when I worked for Dr. Martin Feldman, and Garry Null ( alternative medicines) we had patients doing Intravenous ozone treatments.

Never heard of that being done Zeph so thanks for sharing that

Hope you are having a nice July 4th WE

Albert

Never heard of that being done Zeph so thanks for sharing that

Hope you are having a nice July 4th WE

Albert

Same to you Albert, thank you. I'm going to do a little reasearch on this as that was many years ago.
  • Like 1
albertthiel

Same to you Albert, thank you. I'm going to do a little reasearch on this as that was many years ago.

Thanks Zeph, I appreciate it and yes that would be interesting ... wonder whether that is still done and what the medical recs are on it and what the possible side effects might be, if any.

Albert