ZephNYC

Yep, that's where I got it from!

1) 16G

2) The mini (the smallest one)

3) 2 clowns

4) 4.9% (came with the kit)

5) 2 catalysts

Is this sufficient for my size tank?

That seems OK with 2 catalysts but you may want to up the % of peroxide at some point to 6% perhaps when .you need to buy more peroxide.

• Like 1

Oxydators do IME seem to perform better in tank however plenty use them in the sump. I guess the reason they perform better in the tank rather than the sump maybe due to perhaps the flow return reducing the oxygen given off as it agitated near the waters surface. When placed in tank and with the Oxydator being placed on the bottom the oxygen given off is distributed from the bottom around the tank. You may notice the very tin bubbles exiting the Ooxydator do so at right angles in near still flow while others are swished around the tank. I have used Oxydator's both in tank and in sump but prefer to place them in tank. They can easily be concealed from view behind the rockwork or in the rear corner of the tank.

Les here is a question I have about using the Oxydator I still have one from a previous tank. I had always placed it in the rear of the display. I wondered if it would make any difference to place it in the sump? I would not think so but wanted your opinion on placement of the Oxydator.

• Like 1

Hey Albert,

Gotta question for you. I used muriatic acid on some rock yesterday. Some of the pieces were really not rock, but straight up coral skeleton. After removing them from the acid, they had a brownish red coating on them that doesn't scrub off. Looking at the places where the skeleton is broken you can see layers where the rock is white and the same red/brown color. Is this rock safe to use? Is the brown/red an indication of iron or something that will leach phosphates into the water? Here's a pic. Thanks!

skeleton_zpsbcd3e2c5.jpg

Yes it is reacting with the carbonate but also whatever else is precipitated on the coral skeleton and so that reaction will give you that kind of color as a normal matter of course but it is safe to use indeed. You should have seen some bubbling effect too when the acid reacted with the carbonate and basically dissolved it.

No worries you can safely use it

Albert

Albert

• Like 1

Ok, so I finally got the oxydator! Delivered by the ROYAL MAIL.

It started bubbling within seconds of being placed in the tank.

So I've got a small cyano problem (from what I realize, probably stemming from my shitty lights). Let's see it this helps out at all

Need more info but I guess you gave it in the interim and Atoll replied to your question

Note : the Oxydator is really meant to prevent outbreaks of nuisance algae etc and increase the level of the water quality. It is not really ad device you use once you have the problems .. you can do water changes and siphon the red algae out and then start using the Oxydator and as Les suggested at a higher % of H2O2

Albert

Mr. Microscope

Yes it is reacting with the carbonate but also whatever else is precipitated on the coral skeleton and so that reaction will give you that kind of color as a normal matter of course but it is safe to use indeed. You should have seen some bubbling effect too when the acid reacted with the carbonate and basically dissolved it.

No worries you can safely use it

Albert

Albert

Thanks Albert! I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

So where can you get higher % H 2 O2 in the states? The pharmacy?

Oh and how do you know when the oxydator needs to be refilled? Will it look empty?

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Pool supply stores, health stores - but be warned that it gets frighteningly expensive very quickly, and higher % loses its reactivity extremely quickly, so buying a larger quantity and storing it you can't keep it for too long.

• Like 1

Oh and how do you know when the oxydator needs to be refilled? Will it look empty?

Try eBay and get a high % that you can dilute if need be ... and yes you know that it is time to refill it when the container that holds the peroxide is empty or nearly empty although you do not have to wait to fill it till it is empty, you can top if off any time you want.

The last time I looked I found 35% H2O2 on eBay which I diluted to 6 %

Albert

We just came back from a week out in the east end of Long Island in Amaganset which is about 75 miles from my house. We had sole access to a beach house on the Atlantic that someone we know owns but was in Colorado Our Daughter, Son N Law and two or our Grand Kids also came. I did find a fairly large snake just behind me in that first picture. I tried to catch it but it got away in the scrub brush. I didn't collect water because I didn't have room in the car but I go there often so the next time I go, I will get some. My fish are fine and I think they do better without me. I had a fish sitter and a different pipefish sitter to monitor my new automatic brine shrimp hatchery and feeder which worked flawlessly. The pipefish are smiling from gill to gill.

2014-08-07071514_zps151988f1.jpg

2014-08-06133145_zpsca046034.jpg

2012-02-18225827_zps6530fa76.jpg

2012-02-17234040_zpsce50c980.jpg

• Like 1

We just came back from a week out in the east end of Long Island in Amaganset which is about 75 miles from my house. We had sole access to a beach house on the Atlantic that someone we know owns but was in Colorado Our Daughter, Son N Law and two or our Grand Kids also came. I did find a fairly large snake just behind me in that first picture. I tried to catch it but it got away in the scrub brush. I didn't collect water because I didn't have room in the car but I go there often so the next time I go, I will get some. My fish are fine and I think they do better without me. I had a fish sitter and a different pipefish sitter to monitor my new automatic brine shrimp hatchery and feeder which worked flawlessly. The pipefish are smiling from gill to gill.

2014-08-07071514_zps151988f1.jpg

2014-08-06133145_zpsca046034.jpg

2012-02-18225827_zps6530fa76.jpg

2012-02-17234040_zpsce50c980.jpg

That must have been a real great experience Paul ... wish I could have been there too :)

I am sure everyone had a great imd ... +++

Love the pics

Albert

Man, Paul that was close to the beach. :) I like to go out early in the morning and watch the sun rise when I stay near the beach.

Nice .... ! me too

Albert

Quote:
Man, Paul that was close to the beach. I like to go out early in the morning and watch the sun rise when I stay near the beach.

Reefwiser: You must have very good Eyesight. I was stationed in Kentucky for a few months and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't see the beach B)

Albert, The east end of Long Island is a great place and you are never more than a few hundred yards from the beach. On one side you have the ocean and the other side is the bay. I love it out there and go often, but I don't usually have sole use of a multi million dollar beach house for a week. But I take it when I can get it. :)

• Like 1

Quote:

Man, Paul that was close to the beach. I like to go out early in the morning and watch the sun rise when I stay near the beach.

Reefwiser: You must have very good Eyesight. I was stationed in Kentucky for a few months and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't see the beach B)

Albert, The east end of Long Island is a great place and you are never more than a few hundred yards from the beach. On one side you have the ocean and the other side is the bay. I love it out there and go often, but I don't usually have sole use of a multi million dollar beach house for a week. But I take it when I can get it. :)

Yes I can imagine that you would Paul ... that is a great place to be for sure with or without access to that Multi Million dollar house , but of course having it for a week is certainly better than not having it :)

Albert

Quote:

My brother has a vacation home on Hilton Head. I get in the golf cart and ride thru the development to the beach each morning. While everyone else is a sleep.:)

At one time Louisville was like the great barrier reef. The falls of the Ohio is where the main part of the reef was.

http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/virtual_tour.html

I built several large aquariums for the center there. A friend of Mine gave the money for the Center to be built.:)

• Like 1

That seems OK with 2 catalysts but you may want to up the % of peroxide at some point to 6% perhaps when .you need to buy more peroxide.

Perhaps for those following along at home. It would help to explain how one would dilute the Higher % of peroxide down to get 6% peroxide.

• Like 2

I am often asked the dilution ratio for the peroxide. Thanks for the vid it should help others. However most people want to dilute say 35% peroxide down to 3//6/9% some may indeed want to increase the concentration.

Perhaps for those following along at home It would help to explain how one would dilute the Higher % of peroxide down to get 6% peroxide.

• Like 1

Every few weeks my pair of mandarins spawn and every time they do, I say to myself, Self, I don't think a fish could get any more pregnant than her. But every month, just when I think she is going to explode, she spawns.

I used to think she was egg bound but she always pulls through and has her babies. I am not sure if she gets stretch marks or not.

2014-08-17182316_zps5ee06f48.jpg

2014-08-16192717_zpsb2a76892.jpg

• Like 5

Every few weeks my pair of mandarins spawn and every time they do, I say to myself, Self, I don't think a fish could get any more pregnant than her. But every month, just when I think she is going to explode, she spawns.

I used to think she was egg bound but she always pulls through and has her babies. I am not sure if she gets stretch marks or not.

I have recently been reading up on stuff pertaining to your system and its really quite fascinating, atleast what I can read about it haha. Thank you for sharing with us.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Paul and I am sure glad that she pulls through every month or every time and does not get egg bound as can indeed happen ... and that can be a serious problem unless one knows how to handle it (which you do). But that intervention does not seem to be necessary as the eggs are eventually released.

Nice to see the feeding on your special feeding contraption too

Albert

What I find amazing about fish that spawn so regular and release so many eggs and thousands in their lifetime is that it only takes 2 of the eggs to hatch the fry to reach adulthood and spawn themselves to maintain the species. In some ways that's sad but of course the unlucky ones are all part of the food chain.

• Like 1

I have recently been reading up on stuff pertaining to your system and its really quite fascinating, atleast what I can read about it haha. Thank you for sharing with us.

Yes indeed Paul does have a very interesting and special system set up .....but it "works" ... and is now going on 43 years of operation !~~ That is more than any other Hobbyist tank I know .. there are a few that are may 15 or so years old I am familiar with but 43 years is definitely the one that has been running the longest continuously that I am aware of ..

Paul 's magic :)

Albert

• Like 1