Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Happy Birthday Albert, and many more ;)

Thanks Paul ... Much appreciated ... and as I posted turning 71 today .... but feeling like 29 :) .. well sort of :)

Albert

• Like 1

Bought a new stand/cabinet for my Fluval edge which is quite a bit bigger. I will be able to keep more aquarium rubbish in this one. It's an eBay purchase.

Hope you will be able to move the tank to that new stand without too much difficulty Les

Albert

• Like 1

Well I will have to empty it of course and will do a large water change at the sane time. Just a bit of planning required ad usual.

Yes indeed Les ... I would think a lot of planning and some containers around so place everything in while they are awaiting to go back in the tank sitting on top of the new stand .. but the end result should be great as you will have more space as you say and space is always at a premium

Happy reef keeping

Albert

Very interesting indeed

Thanks for posting the Video

Albert

Have to say it's not my video but how odd to have a video of one on youtube, first result when I googled the name pretty lucky.

• Like 1

how does one figure out if a pod population is large and stable enough for a mandarin. I would like one eventually but i see it as more of an epitome of tank maturity type of animal.

It does depend somewhat on the age of the tank because a new tank. no matter how much food is added just would not have the places of detritus and algae that pods need to survive and multiply. A sterile tank is never going to provide enough food for pods. I add pellets to my tank every day to feed the pods, not the fish as I feed them other things. But with enough food, pods will automatically multiply. Just not greatly in a new tank for the reasons I stated. A tank a few years old would be much more to the liking of pods.

• Like 2

Do you know any thing about Paragobiodon xanthosomus I just got two that were mistakened for regular green clown gobies. I'm wondering if they are hermaphrodites like most clown gobies.

Ive also read conflicting info on them being found in monogamus pairs and them being found in groups with a one male and several females. Not sure which info is correct.

If I can keep a group Id like to get more while I can, since I dont think ill ever see this fish again at the LFS. They seem like they are a rare fish.

• Like 1

Do you know any thing about Paragobiodon xanthosomus I just got two that were mistakened for regular green clown gobies. I'm wondering if they are hermaphrodites like most clown gobies.

Ive also read conflicting info on them being found in monogamus pairs and them being found in groups with a one male and several females. Not sure which info is correct.

If I can keep a group Id like to get more while I can, since I dont think ill ever see this fish again at the LFS. They seem like they are a rare fish.

You can find some more info here : http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=1174

But to give you more information I will have to do some more research as well as this is not a common Goby and is referred to as the Emerald Goby but seems to come in a number of color forms ...

I will try to find some more info for you and post it once I find it ... not a well documented fish and as you say certainly not one that can regularly be seen at LFS ...

Albert

• Like 1

Well I did some research on my own. I read that they live in colonies with a dominate pair. The subdominat females can change into males if needed. I might get two more since they are so rare.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842644/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2124475/

You can find some more info here : http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=1174

But to give you more information I will have to do some more research as well as this is not a common Goby and is referred to as the Emerald Goby but seems to come in a number of color forms ...

I will try to find some more info for you and post it once I find it ... not a well documented fish and as you say certainly not one that can regularly be seen at LFS ...

Albert

Thanks Paul for your reply to the Pod question by HEY

For some reason working on a Windows Laptop when I hit quote whatever the original poster wrote does not come up ..

His question was :

.... How does one figure out .... etc ..

Albert

Thanks Paul ... Great article

Albert

• Like 1