Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Thanks but yes we know that it can be obtained in the UK and in France and in Germany etc .. .but not in the US and Canada

Thanks for the link

Albert

Correct Albert that's why I edited my post and added a footnote to that affect.

That is where I bought my recent model "D" for my Fluval Edge 46L tank. They are quite cheap and the cheapest on the net inc eBay UK

Yes now see that you edited your post Les ... my mistake I guess .. :)

Albert

• Like 1

A ridiculous state of affairs if ever there was one. Beats me how a company can continue to advertise a product for what a year or so and never have them in stock. :unsure:

Thanks but yes we know that it can be obtained in the UK and in France and in Germany etc .. .but not in the US and Canada

Thanks for the link

Albert

On another note check out my reply to some guy who bought an Oxydator and gave feedback expecting quick results.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/feedback/shop/fish/technic_and_accessories/oxygen/81512

• Like 1

A ridiculous state of affairs if ever there was one. Beats me how a company can continue to advertise a product for what a year or so and never have them in stock. :unsure:

On another note check out my reply to some guy who bought an Oxydator and gave feedback expecting quick results.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/feedback/shop/fish/technic_and_accessories/oxygen/81512

Yes indeed ... very hard to understand how they can get away with keeping that up and running and never have any stock ... and even though the Sochting web stie lists a "new" contact for the US, and I have spoken to him, he has not been importing any either for some reason that is unclear.

And thanks Les for your comments to that poster on that forum

Albert

From an engineering standpoint this looks simple in design. Is there not a DIY option?

Yes it does but any of the ones that have been tried and that I have tried work anywhere near as well as the real thing and in fact some do not work at all ...

There are DIY plans on the Net and I have tried most of them including using different types of catalysts but have never been able to duplicate the efficiency of the real Oxydator

Albert

• Like 1

Yes many have tried and failed using various methods with little success.

Yes it does but any of the ones that have been tried and that I have tried work anywhere near as well as the real thing and in fact some do not work at all ...

There are DIY plans on the Net and I have tried most of them including using different types of catalysts but have never been able to duplicate the efficiency of the real Oxydator

Albert

• Like 1

There is a guy that runs a freshwater shrimp forum trying to become the new US distributor of these. Hopefully it works out, these shrimp guys are pretty avid importers of interesting foreign fish tank equipment here in the US.

• Like 2

Yes many have tried and failed using various methods with little success.

Indeed Les and I know you tried as well and were not able to reproduce what the real ones do and what their benefits are

Albert

There is a guy that runs a freshwater shrimp forum trying to become the new US distributor of these. Hopefully it works out, these shrimp guys are pretty avid importers of interesting foreign fish tank equipment here in the US.

Well I wish him good luck as that would be a boon for many Hobbyists who would like to get one or more units but can currently not get hold of any unless they order from the UK which they may not want to do.

Albert

• Like 2

I couldn't resist. Today I got another pipefish, a multi banded and a ruby red dragonet. Sometimes you got to have what you got to have. It was probably a mistake because now I have spawning mandarins, two pairs of pipefish and a fifth pipefish along with two dragonets and they all eat just about nothing except new born brine shrimp. I doubled my hatching supply but may have to triple it. I am not sure how many fish I have but I am sure it is to many :unsure:

• Like 2

I couldn't resist. Today I got another pipefish, a multi banded and a ruby red dragonet. Sometimes you got to have what you got to have. It was probably a mistake because now I have spawning mandarins, two pairs of pipefish and a fifth pipefish along with two dragonets and they all eat just about nothing except new born brine shrimp. I doubled my hatching supply but may have to triple it. I am not sure how many fish I have but I am sure it is to many :unsure:

I am pretty sure that in your tank with all the care you give it and the feeding methods you employ that all will be OK Paul especially since it is a 100 gallon + one ....

Just saying ...

Albert

I have been looking for a HOB skimmer for my Fluval 46L Edge tank for a little while. However its impossible to fit a skimmer with the standard filter attached. I finally found what might be the answer via eBay for £40 (about $50) delivered.

The skimmer/filter arrived yesterday and was fitted to my Edge late afternoon.The unit just fits into the opening with about 1mm to spare however the existing light hood will not fit as the distance from the top glass to the top of the skimmer is 5.1/4". This is not a problem for me as I had already made a new light box to house my 50w Chinese full spectrum LED unit, The skimmer has just settled down after initially filling the cup with almost clear water however it seems to have bedded in now so I will see what if anything the skimmer collects and how well it works.
Here are a few pic's of the skimmer on my Edge along with the light hood I had previously made to house my LED unit.

007_zps6e5d5f1e.jpg

With top lid removed from the skimmer, not the small filter compartment to the far right housing Puragen and open pore ceramic filter blocks.

008_zps1886990a.jpg

With my DIY light box fitted over the skimmer and Chinese LED unit installed.

010_zps9fbadf5d.jpg

The skimmer settled down and bedding in

IMG_7964_zpsa52b8717.jpg

• Like 1

I have been looking for a HOB skimmer for my Fluval 46L Edge tank for a little while. However its impossible to fit a skimmer with the standard filter attached. I finally found what might be the answer via eBay for £40 (about $50) delivered.

The skimmer/filter arrived yesterday and was fitted to my Edge late afternoon.The unit just fits into the opening with about 1mm to spare however the existing light hood will not fit as the distance from the top glass to the top of the skimmer is 5.1/4". This is not a problem for me as I had already made a new light box to house my 50w Chinese full spectrum LED unit, The skimmer has just settled down after initially filling the cup with almost clear water however it seems to have bedded in now so I will see what if anything the skimmer collects and how well it works.

Here are a few pic's of the skimmer on my Edge along with the light hood I had previously made to house my LED unit.

007_zps6e5d5f1e.jpg

With top lid removed from the skimmer, not the small filter compartment to the far right housing Puragen and open pore ceramic filter blocks.

008_zps1886990a.jpg

With my DIY light box fitted over the skimmer and Chinese LED unit installed.

010_zps9fbadf5d.jpg

The skimmer settled down and bedding in

IMG_7964_zpsa52b8717.jpg

Well I guess with all the modifications you made and the adjustments the new device seems to be doing well for you Les

Glad you found a skimmer that "just" fits ... the margin is really small and i hope when encrusting of calcium carbonate happens in there it does not get stuck so you cannot remove it without first treating the whole thing to dissolve the Ca carbonate

Albert

My DIY HOB skimmer fits any size tank. I just built the thing and bolted it to the stand then built the house around it. Simple.

IMG_0460.jpg

That thing looks serious like a cross between a skimmer and a tomahawk missile. I particularly like seeing "the I can walk all over my house get in my car drive to the store and still have plenty of cord" phone.
  • Like 1

My DIY HOB skimmer fits any size tank. I just built the thing and bolted it to the stand then built the house around it. Simple.

IMG_0460.jpg

A bit too large though for my 15 gallon Nano Paul :) ... but look nice for your size tank

Albert

36 hours on and my little skimmers produced 100ml of skimmate. Now it might not be the darkest you have seen but it's tea coloured and given the tank it's running on is lightly stocked (I removed the fish when I emptied the tank to put it on the new stand) and given the tank is only 46L I think it's working pretty well all things considered. Here's a pic of the skimmate.

IMG_7969_zps2285c9b5.jpg

• Like 1

36 hours on and my little skimmers produced 100ml of skimmate. Now it might not be the darkest you have seen but it's tea coloured and given the tank it's running on is lightly stocked (I removed the fish when I emptied the tank to put it on the new stand) and given the tank is only 46L I think it's working pretty well all things considered. Here's a pic of the skimmate.

IMG_7969_zps2285c9b5.jpg

Well that is certainly a good sign and a good beginning showing that the skimmer is indeed working well for you and cleaning up the water as you were expecting it to you.

Time has proven you right ... good for you Les ... Thanks for the update and I hope all is well with you

Albert

Thanks Albert. I pulled a muscle in my back last eek moving my Edge and its just easing now. Golden rule I must remember bend your knees when lifting heavy objects. :(

I have read a few reports on the net and YouTube suggesting this skimmer is useless and produces nothing just fizzes away. Well maybe the did something wrong assembling it or don't know how to dial a skimmer in I don't know. What I do know is that mine although not the best nano skimmer out there is doing an admiral job so far as can be seen my the colour and amount of skimmate it's producing..

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. I pulled a muscle in my back last eek moving my Edge and its just easing now. Golden rule I must remember bend your knees when lifting heavy objects. :(

I have read a few reports on the net and YouTube suggesting this skimmer is useless and produces nothing just fizzes away. Well maybe the did something wrong assembling it or don't know how to dial a skimmer in I don't know. What I do know is that mine although not the best nano skimmer out there is doing an admiral job so far as can be seen my the colour and amount of skimmate it's producing..

Well it seems that yours contradicts what you have read on the net and is doing a good job for you so far, so time will tell whether it continues to operate in that manner, which I sure hope for you Les

Sorry to read you pulled a muscle and yes .... bend the knees is the trick indeed

Have a nice week end (rest of )

Albert