SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

That's great news but I should get a percentage as I think I invented feeding blackworms to salt water fish. It just took a few decades for people to listen. B)

Yes indeed and that would be well deserved Paul

Albert

• Like 1

That's great news but I should get a percentage as I think I invented feeding blackworms to salt water fish. It just took a few decades for people to listen. B)

About the same time it's taken me to get people to start accepting Oxydators Paul and I get nothing either lol.

Just out of curiosity what is the reaction in the Hobbyist world about Blackworms as food for fish If I may ask

Albert

Seems the seller in the UK has only just been found as far as the marine fraternity are concerned.

Just out of curiosity what is the reaction in the Hobbyist world about Blackworms as food for fish If I may ask

Albert

Seems the seller in the UK has only just been found as far as the marine fraternity are concerned.

Albert

Grrrrrr silly phone.

• Like 1

2014-10-12124555_zpsf2b71364.jpg

2014-10-12091849_zpsf42eeb00.jpg

You can see 3 of the 5 pipefish here

2014-10-12084741_zpscd906042.jpg

And helping PopPop feed worms.

2014-10-11090417_zpsd1cf670a.jpg

And vacation hatchery and feeder.

2014-10-12124511_zps132fadeb.jpg

Just because I can

2014-10-12094815_zps85df4f9c.jpg

Very nice and great great shots Paul ....

Love the Grandchildren too ... and the Grandma :)

Albert

About the same time it's taken me to get people to start accepting Oxydators Paul and I get nothing either lol.

Grrrrrr silly phone.

Yes that is how it goes Les .... but at least you get the satisfaction that more and more people are starting to use them.

And it happens to all of us ... but it is all part of helping others to be honest

Albert

• Like 1

Pic's showing the ceramic blocks fitted into the small filter area of my new nano skimmer/filter with Purigen packet underneath the top block.

IMG_7973_zps01c1162f.jpg

IMG_7970_zpscd612993.jpg

Reminds me of a product that was around many years ago Les ... worked well if I remember correctly but needed cleaning as it plugged up with detritus but maybe these are better and if you pre-filter the water before it hits the ceramic blocks then that should not be a problem ...

Are they like the ones we know from 10 or 15 years ago ?

Albert

• Like 1

They do seem similar however the pores are perhaps larger. I think the product you maybe referring to was called "Cellpore" if I remember right. The skimmer is still producing and those that expect a vasy amount of dark skimmate are perhaps expecting too much from a skimmer on such a small tank as my 46L nano. I wasn't expecting it to produce vast amounts of skimmate and I am quite satisfied with it's performance so far.

Reminds me of a product that was around many years ago Les ... worked well if I remember correctly but needed cleaning as it plugged up with detritus but maybe these are better and if you pre-filter the water before it hits the ceramic blocks then that should not be a problem ...

Are they like the ones we know from 10 or 15 years ago ?

Albert

• Like 1

They do seem similar however the pores are perhaps larger. I think the product you maybe referring to was called "Cellpore" if I remember right. The skimmer is still producing and those that expect a vasy amount of dark skimmate are perhaps expecting too much from a skimmer on such a small tank as my 46L nano. I wasn't expecting it to produce vast amounts of skimmate and I am quite satisfied with it's performance so far.

Yes that may have been the one Les, don't remember the name exactly .. too long ago ... of course we also had the scintered glass (Siporax) ... and I came across this Video on material old and new

And glad to read your skimmer is doing well and as well as you expected it to do if not better than what you were expecting

Albert

• Like 1

Yes I well remember using Siporax which was the first stinted glass filter media on the market here in the UK.They recommended you replaced half of it every 6 months due to clogging I seem to recall. Interesting video Albert.

Yes that may have been the one Les, don't remember the name exactly .. too long ago ... of course we also had the scintered glass (Siporax) ... and I came across this Video on material old and new

And glad to read your skimmer is doing well and as well as you expected it to do if not better than what you were expecting

Albert

• Like 1

Yes I well remember using Siporax which was the first stinted glass filter media on the market here in the UK.They recommended you replaced half of it every 6 months due to clogging I seem to recall. Interesting video Albert.

Yes the problem with most of those media is indeed that they eventually plug up and need to be replaced ... or washed very thoroughly which is not that easy to do :(

Albert

• Like 1

You could microwave it Albert not sure if you had to put it in water when you did but it did work and revitalise it.

Mostly by thoroughly washing and soaking in reef safe cleaning liquids / chemicals. I did not use the microwave method to be honest

Albert

For those who have a subscription to the "Nano Reef Aquariums" Newsletter, Issue 15 of Volume 2 has been released and is available on our Web site

www.nanoreefs.info

Enjoy

ALBERT

I seem to have so many fish that just eat new born brine shrimp but those are the fish I really like. I have the pair of mandarins, pair of dragon faced pipefish, a multi banded flag tail pipefish, a ruby red dragonette, pair of blue stripe pipefish, and a regular red dragonette or scooter bleeny as they are mistakenly called. For all these guys I hatch brine shrimp every day and give two or three feedings as that is what you need to do unless you want to keep common fish like tangs and clowns. I find these types of fish more interesting albeit more problematic in feeding but much more satisfying to keep.
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-12124555_zpsf2b71364.jpg.html'>2014-10-12124555_zpsf2b71364.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-08143123_zps17aa8fda.jpg.html'>2014-10-08143123_zps17aa8fda.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-05-19131238_zpsa8087759.jpg.html'>2014-05-19131238_zpsa8087759.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-04-02150719_zpsc6e6e8ad.jpg.html'>2014-04-02150719_zpsc6e6e8ad.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/993156c9-4458-4687-926b-7d162b2c6604_zpscab41979.jpg.html'>993156c9-4458-4687-926b-7d162b2c6604_zps

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/b9d33ff9-7593-4565-8706-d999c6132d71_zps011c8f96.jpg.html'>b9d33ff9-7593-4565-8706-d999c6132d71_zps

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/IMG_2390_zpsc4b2bf2d.jpg.html'>IMG_2390_zpsc4b2bf2d.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/13094Pregnant_pipefish_zpsaab87bcf.jpg.html'>13094Pregnant_pipefish_zpsaab87bcf.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-09-15162059_zpsb11343a3.jpg.html'>2014-09-15162059_zpsb11343a3.jpg

I can't get a good picture of the ruby red guy yet. But I will. I am looking for a mate for him but the males are all I find so far.

• Like 1

I seem to have so many fish that just eat new born brine shrimp but those are the fish I really like. I have the pair of mandarins, pair of dragon faced pipefish, a multi banded flag tail pipefish, a ruby red dragonette, pair of blue stripe pipefish, and a regular red dragonette or scooter bleeny as they are mistakenly called. For all these guys I hatch brine shrimp every day and give two or three feedings as that is what you need to do unless you want to keep common fish like tangs and clowns. I find these types of fish more interesting albeit more problematic in feeding but much more satisfying to keep.

2014-10-12124555_zpsf2b71364.jpg

2014-10-08143123_zps17aa8fda.jpg

2014-05-19131238_zpsa8087759.jpg

2014-04-02150719_zpsc6e6e8ad.jpg

993156c9-4458-4687-926b-7d162b2c6604_zps

b9d33ff9-7593-4565-8706-d999c6132d71_zps

IMG_2390_zpsc4b2bf2d.jpg

13094Pregnant_pipefish_zpsaab87bcf.jpg

2014-09-15162059_zpsb11343a3.jpg

I can't get a good picture of the ruby red guy yet. But I will. I am looking for a mate for him but the males are all I find so far.

Those are great fish indeed Paul and I agree with you that it is far more gratifying to keep those types than many other types of fish like the ones you mention.

Great shots too !!!

Thanks for sharing

Albert

How have I never seen this site before! Thanks for linking, just placed an order for some algae :D

Well it happens sometimes right ... there is so much info that sometimes we miss link ... happens to the best of us :)

Albert

Do you have any advice about mixing of smaller goby species (trimma, evoita etc) in smaller volume tanks?

Ideally in my pico I'd like to mix a trimma tevegae if I can find, with an evoita or two and a whitecap goby, but I'm not sure about aggression and competition for food.

I've not mixed smaller goby species to this degree and I'm mostly concerned about the most timid species being forced into hiding permanently.

• Like 1

Do you have any advice about mixing of smaller goby species (trimma, evoita etc) in smaller volume tanks?

Ideally in my pico I'd like to mix a trimma tevegae if I can find, with an evoita or two and a whitecap goby, but I'm not sure about aggression and competition for food.

I've not mixed smaller goby species to this degree and I'm mostly concerned about the most timid species being forced into hiding permanently.

I would not mix more than two and how large is that Pico as you cannot put 4 fish in there .... that would be overload IME

Albert

it's 12x6x6, total system volume is about 15 gallons perhaps.

I think I'll probably just go with a pair of trimma or evoita rather than mix then

Well we would call that a Nano and yes the way you suggest is IMO the better way to go indeed

Albert

oops, liters, not gallons! I've found biopellets combined with a good skimmer have been tremendous in dealing with feeding. I get away with a lot of food in there

• Like 1