ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yeh, I am looking into set ups for multiple live feed cultures now. This hobby has an endless amount of projects to keep me busy. Tisbe pods and baby brine seem easy enough, blackworms look a bit more difficult if you don't want them sitting in the refrigerator.

• Like 1

I will look later today ... I was at the Doctor and have a minor intervention and need to get some rest for a few hours

Albert

Hope your ok Albert.

Most of my concerns have been laid to rest with the exception of my invertebrate tank. 14 gallon with sugar sand substrate. I am looking for an invertebrate that will control the copepods and other life in the sand.

I feel a bit silly being worried about heavy substrate and pistol shrimp. I swear this little guy is grinning from antennae to antennae and is tickled pink with all his new building material. He started out with a burrow behind my living rock but my Goby is intent in keeping an eye on me and led him around to the front to burrow.

With removing the disruptive shrimp/goby from my 14 gallon and giving them their own home in a 6 gallon I feel I have achieved my goal and removed all the stress my new found hobby.

Now to find some nano-fish to flesh out my 6 gallon. Suggestions?

Keep well Albert.

Paddy

• Like 1

Hey ,

Yes that would be a good way to go indeed ... and indeed the Hobby lends itself to a multitude of DIY projects, no doubt about it.

And on the Black Worms ... I just buy live ones rather than trying to culture them. Simpler ::)

Albert

• Like 1

Paddy Mick,

Any coral you place in the aquarium will eat copepods and other pods as long as they can catch them but they will mostly get eaten by your fishes.

As to adding more fish to your 6 gallon ... 1 extra fish is probably as much as you can add so at to not overload the tank.

May a Citron Goby, or perhaps a Banggai Cardinal

Albert

• Like 1

Paddy Mick,

Any coral you place in the aquarium will eat copepods and other pods as long as they can catch them but they will mostly get eaten by your fishes.

As to adding more fish to your 6 gallon ... 1 extra fish is probably as much as you can add so at to not overload the tank.

Albert

I agree on the one fish Albert.

And to ensure I only have one additional fish in my 6 gallon my LFS (Idiot) recommended a 6 Line Wrasse as an ideal addition. Like everything else i research after I buy and this guy couldn't have sold me a worse fish. First off it requires a minimum of 30 gallons. Second is 6 liners have the personality of bullies. So far he is ignoring my Tangaroa and he better stay that way or he goes back to the LFS.

On the other side my 14 gallon is crystal clear now that the disruptive pair is isolated in their own tank.

Thanks Albert and I hope your feeling better!

Paddy

• Like 1

I see you suggest a banggai cardinal for 6g. In your opinion what's their minimum tank tank size? Do you think they are ok in that small of a tank due to them not moving much? I'm just curious.

I also picked up two more emerald gobies.

I found more info on them here, if youre interested.

Gobies on the Coral Reef

Symbiosis in Fishes

Here is a pic of one my new fish.

DSCI0053_zps25a56495.jpg

Paddy Mick,

Albert

• Like 1

Paddy Mick :

The Six Line is indeed not a good idea at all, as your research allowed you to discover. They are bullies and jumpers.

I still think that a Banggai or a Citron goby would be the way to go after you return that Wrasse.

Glad to read the 14 gallon is doing OK

Albert

• Like 1

I have kept a number of 6 lined wrasses over the years but always in pairs. I find that kept in pairs the male channels his aggression towards the female which I believe prevents her changing into a male. Without a female the single wrasse will use his aggression on more timid fish. I am not saying a male female pair will always mean there will be less aggression aimed at other fish just that it;s been my experience with the 3 pairs I have kept in the past.

• Like 1

Yes Albert, They would spawn in the evening when the female was ripe and under a single 03 actinic lamp as they were in those days a T8 tube. The female would develop a orange/redish small lump in her anal vent region signaling her readiness to spawn. They are pelagic spawners. However as soon as the female had sprayed her eggs she would shoot off and wouldn't be seen again till the following day. The male on the other hand would still be excited and would zoom around the tank I am sure looking for her or another female to spawn with in which case they may not form true pairs.

Atoll :

Were these mated pairs you kept ?

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Les for that detailed description of their behavior ...

=====

Note for some reason the "quote" mark does not work with my Windows 8.1 which I am using for this reply.. Not sure why ... works on my Mac though ... very odd

Albert

• Like 1

I converted my DIY, evaporating chiller, that was already converted from a bio ball chamber to a worm bacteria grower to increase the bacteria in my worm keeper so I can keep many more blackworms. The acrylic thing at the top with the water flowing over plates is the old chiller that is not needed any more since I installed LED lights. It allows for more bacteria to grow to keep the worms fresh and also as a side benefit, cools them. I love re cycling.

2014-10-02105959_zpsa9b21871.jpg

This is the original home made chiller.

IMG_0989.jpg

• Like 2

Nice modification Paul and yes I love recycling of parts too !

Looks good.

Now you will have thousands and thousands of Blackworms !!!!

Albert

Good move indeed Paul ....

And sorry but somehow the using the "quote" doehikie does not seem to work in this version of Internet explorer on Windows 8.1

Not sure why ... Cannot figure it out

AT

Very strange indeed as on my Mac I can use it without a problem but on this Windows 8.1 Laptop with the latest IE Explorer it just wisll not work for some reason ... oh well ..

Glad I am not the only one :)

Albert

Swapped the small cabinet under my Fluval 46L to a larger one I bought off eBay today. Took me the best part of 2-1/2 hours including a large water change. It takes a fair bit of preparation to achieve a smooth swap over. All done now just need to finalise the aquascape and let the water clear. I will post pics when all done.

• Like 1

Very strange indeed as on my Mac I can use it without a problem but on this Windows 8.1 Laptop with the latest IE Explorer it just wisll not work for some reason ... oh well ..

Albert

internet explorer is just bad lately, mozilla firefox or google chrome are your best bet to have internet surfing that is actually functional.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Albert

Internet Explorer 12 has compatibility issues with a lot of websites, so you'd need to use Chrome or Firefox to have it resolved.

Also, if you don't like the look of 8.1, download a program called 'Classic Start' and it will take you straight to the desktop and also give you a real start menu. :)

internet explorer is just bad lately, mozilla firefox or google chrome are your best bet to have internet surfing that is actually functional.

beat me to it lol

• Like 2

Yes Les I can imagine it took a lot of work and lifting and effort to get all of that accomplished

Good for you that it is all done

Albert

Thank Hey and Ben ... using Chrome now and indeed it pulls the quote text up :)

Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it

Albert

Internet Explorer 12 has compatibility issues with a lot of websites, so you'd need to use Chrome or Firefox to have it resolved.

Also, if you don't like the look of 8.1, download a program called 'Classic Start' and it will take you straight to the desktop and also give you a real start menu. :)

beat me to it lol

Thanks Ben ... Much appreciated.

Albert

• Like 1

I had some chrome on my car but I wouldn't know how to use Google Chrome on my computer even though I know it is on here.

My computer is so old, it writes in script. And when I hit "delete" a rubber eraser pops out of the mouse

• Like 2