Pod Your Reef

Shrimp/Goby Substrate

PaddyMick

Hello fellow reefers.

After being out of the hobby for about 10 years I decided to get back in when I discovered the advances in filtration and lighting for nano reef aquariums.

The notion of setting up a "Symbiosis Tank" is quite exciting.

My choice for a symbiosis was to match a Tangaroa Goby with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. They bonded almost immediately to my delight.

My problem was my initial choice of substrate. I opted out for "sugar sand" and have established a 3' DSB. The problem is the Tiger is putting so much sand into the water column I'm concerned about stressing out my corals and I never have the crystal clear water you would expect in a 14 gallon nano reef tank. I also suspect the suspended sand killed my bubble tip anemone.

My solution is to go to a much heavier substrate in a 6 gallon nano reef tank established just for the shrimp and goby as they proved to be quite disruptive in the 14 gallon.

I may have gone overboard on the substrate. It is crushed coral and shells and goes from 4mm to 12mm.

Here are my questions.

I have observed my pistol shrimp searching for food in the sugar sand. Will I be denying him a food source with the new substrate?

Will the 12mm pieces be too large for a Tiger to use ?

Will the crushed shells be too sharp for my Tangaroa?

Will the coarse substrate prove to be a food and detritus trap? If so can you recommend something that can live in the coarse substrate and feed on the trapped food and detritus?

Thanking you in advance for your kind replies.

Paddy

Your new choice of substrate should be fine and better than the sugarsand. Don't make it too think and along with some cuc stir the sand periodically to release excess detritus. You can syphon out excessive detritus during water changes and or via filter cleans and changes

Update.

Pretty happy here.

The Pistol is thrilled with the new substrate. I think every engineer should have a desk top nano reef and a goby/pistol shrimp pair to remind him of what a good work ethic looks like. The goby can watch hard work all day long...just like most bosses.

Tangaroa goby seems quite unconcerned about the substrate and seems quite happy and bold.

Substrate is going to be moved on a regular basis by the pistol so I am no longer worried about detritus build up but I would still like to know what can live in that heavy substrate as a contributor to the cleaner crew.

I'm also trying to keep my 14 gallon vertebrate free. I have all concerns covered with the exception of controlling the beasties that live in the sand. Can anyone recommend an invertebrate that feeds on the sand dwellers?

Thanks

Paddy

Archived