Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

we also have a pancake Tuesday Albert. ii is a bank holiday weekend here and I am staying with friends. we are off walking in the lakes soon. hope my fish are fine when I get home on Tuesday the day before Wednesday lol.

Indeed lots of Holidays in Europe :) far more than here .... we don't even have official vacations for everyone at every company here ... some yes but quite a few no .. and not nearly as long as they are in some European Countries ...

Enjoy your stay with friends and I am sure your fishes and corals will be ok Les ...

Albert

albertthiel

Is this Stylocoeniella?

DSCI0053_zps3d987a48.jpg

Is this porites, the original coral I bought was larger and dead with feather dusters living it.

DSCI0050_zps1ed5e925.jpg

~Thanks

Yes look like it ... green base, pink polyps ... S. armata possibly

The second one hard to tell from that picture ...

Albert

• Like 1

I got a new piece of equipment today. What does it do? Well it mixes my salt, changes my tank water and filters out detritus I have stirred up as it removes the old tank water and puts in the new . All I need to do is add the salt to the container add RO water, put the inlet hose in the tank along with the outlet hose from the container, plug it in and leave it till it tells me its all done. I don't think you have anything like it in the US. Only problem is it does not seem to make toast that I can see but hey few things are perfect in this hobby.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I got a new piece of equipment today. What does it do? Well it mixes my salt, changes my tank water and filters out detritus I have stirred up as it removes the old tank water and puts in the new . All I need to do is add the salt to the container add RO water, put the inlet hose in the tank along with the outlet hose from the container, plug it in and leave it till it tells me its all done. I don't think you have anything like it in the US. Only problem is it does not seem to make toast that I can see but hey few things are perfect in this hobby.

Wow that is indeed nice how does it know how to mix the salt to the proper s.g. ? Or do you have to add a pre-measured amount of salt and a pre-measured amount of water ....

Sounds great but some more info on how it actually does all that (and sorry it does not make Toast - yet ) would be helpful Les

Albert

fish32.png

• Like 1

I was just dangling the carrot Albert. :lol:

Well yes you have to add the pre-measured amount of salt and water to the 30ltr container. The internal pump then mixes it for you. Drop a heater in if its a large % water change to bring up to temp.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.reefloat.com/awc31.html

The owner Gordon is a great guy who I have helped with one or two things his main interest I think is seahorses which he breeds. Nothing seems too much trouble for him and always answers questions quickly.

Wow that is indeed nice how does it know how to mix the salt to the proper s.g. ? Or do you have to add a pre-measured amount of salt and a pre-measured amount of water ....

Sounds great but some more info on how it actually does all that (and sorry it does not make Toast - yet ) would be helpful Les

Albert

fish32.png

• Like 1
albertthiel

I was just dangling the carrot Albert. :lol:

Well yes you have to add the pre-measured amount of salt and water to the 30ltr container. The internal pump then mixes it for you. Drop a heater in if its a large % water change to bring up to temp.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.reefloat.com/awc31.html

The owner Gordon is a great guy who I have helped with one or two things his main interest I think is seahorses which he breeds. Nothing seems too much trouble for him and always answers questions quickly.

Yes that is kind of what I thought but it is a nice device nevertheless even if you have do "prepare" it for what it is supposed to do.

Reminds me of older types that did the same think ..

Albert

Some pic's pf my AWC31. = Automatic Water Changer. 31ltr.

Doing its thing. note, water out of the tank on the right water in on the left. I had stirred the sand before switching it on.

AWC31004_zps913e5646.jpg

AWC31006_zps7ec2fa61.jpg

The programmer.

AWC31002_zpsd48890e3.jpg

Whole unit in use.

AWC31001_zps15b518ab.jpg

The prefilter to remove the stirred up detritus.

AWC31005_zps362c85d9.jpg

The cycle lasts 1 hour once switched on and makes water changes a doddle.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Looking good Les ... kind of large butI guess you can set it up let it do its job and then store it away for whatever time you need to.

I seem to remember you posted something similar looking a long long time ago ... Am I mistaken

Albert

• Like 1

Harr your memory is as sharp as ever Albert. Yes you are correct however this is the new unit with a programmer and pre-filter. The programmer switches the pump on and off every 60 seconds which mixes the water better and also extends the life of the pump.

Looking good Les ... kind of large butI guess you can set it up let it do its job and then store it away for whatever time you need to.

I seem to remember you posted something similar looking a long long time ago ... Am I mistaken

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Harr your memory is as sharp as ever Albert. Yes you are correct however this is the new unit with a programmer and pre-filter. The programmer switches the pump on and off every 60 seconds which mixes the water better and also extends the life of the pump.

Yes that is a definite upgrade from that other model which looked similar but did not have all the bells and whistles .... Good for you

AND .... Manchester City is on the road to Win the Barclay's Premier Cup .... I watched the game on TV ... Man oh man the rain was coming down like I have hardly ever seen and it just kept going on and on and on ... torrential ....

:)

Albert

Yes that is a definite upgrade from that other model which looked similar but did not have all the bells and whistles .... Good for you

AND .... Manchester City is on the road to Win the Barclay's Premier Cup .... I watched the game on TV ... Man oh man the rain was coming down like I have hardly ever seen and it just kept going on and on and on ... torrential ....

:)

Albert

Grrrrrr man city Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :furious:

• Like 1
albertthiel

Grrrrrr man city Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :furious:

Well Liverpool could still win but it seem unlikely at this point ....

Guess you are not a Manchester City fan :)

Pity for Chelsea as they'll end up #3

Albert

I feel bad for my copperband. He looks bored, I wish I had a mate for him (or her) I tried adding another one but he almost killer her (or him) OK, I am not going to put those () in anymore, you know what I mean.

He grew a little large and the corals, especially the torches grew a little to big so he has to navigate around everything and I think he is tired of making all those sharp turns. He was about a quarter of his size when I got him.

Sometimes I see him standing on his tail with his nose up in the air right in front of the arrow crab who he thinks is a cleaner shrimp. The arrow crab just looks at him with a puzzled look on his face as if to say "Hey Dude, Do I look like a Sissy cleaner shrimp?" He is also my biggest expense as he can suck down a load of worms, and they don't give them to me for free.

I am not sure how banana fish spawn but I think one is in a nest in the back but I can't get a good look. They are a really nice fish and one of the most colorful with those bright neon yellow stripes. When fish are spawning their colors really pop and I can usually tell if a fish is spawning just by looking at them, or reading their texts.

My pair of pistol shrimp are also probably spawning but I will never know that as they spend most of their time under the gravel. Their symbiotic watchman is also my biggest fish next to the copperband.

My clown gobies continue to spawn and kill my acropora's, but it is what it is. Who needs acro's anyway?

I am getting an urge to put something in the tank, but I am not sure yet. Not a living thing as it is overpacked now , but maybe a big chain or a real anchor from my boat. The only other fish I want is a red pipefish that is supposed to come in tomorrow. I don't know exactly what that looks like, but it sounds weird and that is what I go for. I don't do tangs and angels.

2014-04-10155547_zpsf823ed3e.jpg

2014-05-08132559_zps88262231.jpg

2014-05-08132423_zps53b6c5ca.jpg

2014-05-08131342_zps02522643.jpg

2014-04-30131700_zps294f1434.jpg

Merge3_zps316a3ea7.jpg

• Like 1

This is a multibanded pipefish eating newborn brine shrimp that escaped from the feeder.

Video's of pipefish eating

th_2014-05-10150803_zps0c3c70b5.jpg

This is a dragon faced pipefish eating new born brine.

th_2014-02-03125049_zpsa0213f52.jpg

A bluestripe pipefish comes over the the feeder eventually

th_MVI_1982.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I bought a new tank. I am still keeping my 2' cube and this one will be in my PC/junk room. It's a Fluval Edge 46L that I got for a bargain price of just £50 and its almost like new. The guy just wanted rid of it as he had a new baby and already had a large FW tank. I have already ordered a 50w LED unit like the one I already have which will take a few weeks to arrive from china. The tank came with a 50w heater and filter along with its standard LED unit which won't be powerful enough for light loving orals hence the 50W LED unit I have ordered. There is even a Facebook forum for Fluval Edge enthusiasts I have joined. My intention is to stock this tank mainly with frags from my cube. I think you get the Fluval Edge tanks in the US. Here's a pic but it will be sometime before its up and running as I have to source a stand and other bits for it like some living rock etc.

FluvalEdge46L_zps0e1ce83f.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

I feel bad for my copperband. He looks bored, I wish I had a mate for him (or her) I tried adding another one but he almost killer her (or him) OK, I am not going to put those () in anymore, you know what I mean.

He grew a little large and the corals, especially the torches grew a little to big so he has to navigate around everything and I think he is tired of making all those sharp turns. He was about a quarter of his size when I got him.

Sometimes I see him standing on his tail with his nose up in the air right in front of the arrow crab who he thinks is a cleaner shrimp. The arrow crab just looks at him with a puzzled look on his face as if to say "Hey Dude, Do I look like a Sissy cleaner shrimp?" He is also my biggest expense as he can suck down a load of worms, and they don't give them to me for free.

I am not sure how banana fish spawn but I think one is in a nest in the back but I can't get a good look. They are a really nice fish and one of the most colorful with those bright neon yellow stripes. When fish are spawning their colors really pop and I can usually tell if a fish is spawning just by looking at them, or reading their texts.

My pair of pistol shrimp are also probably spawning but I will never know that as they spend most of their time under the gravel. Their symbiotic watchman is also my biggest fish next to the copperband.

My clown gobies continue to spawn and kill my acropora's, but it is what it is. Who needs acro's anyway?

I am getting an urge to put something in the tank, but I am not sure yet. Not a living thing as it is overpacked now , but maybe a big chain or a real anchor from my boat. The only other fish I want is a red pipefish that is supposed to come in tomorrow. I don't know exactly what that looks like, but it sounds weird and that is what I go for. I don't do tangs and angels.

Well it sure looks like all is going well in the tank Paul .. things are growing and the fish are spawning .. and the corals are growing too, to the point it seems where the larger fish have less space to swim ... oh well you can always frag some pieces off the larger ones I guess and trade them or sell them ....

Nice shots of the the tank ...

And a Happy Mother;s Day to the Wife and Daughter ...

Albert

albertthiel

This is a multibanded pipefish eating newborn brine shrimp that escaped from the feeder.

Video's of pipefish eating

th_2014-05-10150803_zps0c3c70b5.jpg

This is a dragon faced pipefish eating new born brine.

th_2014-02-03125049_zpsa0213f52.jpg

A bluestripe pipefish comes over the the feeder eventually

th_MVI_1982.jpg

I like Paul ... very nice and nice to see that the Pipefish is feeding well and looking in great shape ...

And when that new one comes in I am sure you will be posting some pics ....

Thanks and nice videos .. love that Dragon faced feeing one ..

Albert

albertthiel

Yesterday I bought a new tank. I am still keeping my 2' cube and this one will be in my PC/junk room. It's a Fluval Edge 46L that I got for a bargain price of just £50 and its almost like new. The guy just wanted rid of it as he had a new baby and already had a large FW tank. I have already ordered a 50w LED unit like the one I already have which will take a few weeks to arrive from china. The tank came with a 50w heater and filter along with its standard LED unit which won't be powerful enough for light loving orals hence the 50W LED unit I have ordered. There is even a Facebook forum for Fluval Edge enthusiasts I have joined. My intention is to stock this tank mainly with frags from my cube. I think you get the Fluval Edge tanks in the US. Here's a pic but it will be sometime before its up and running as I have to source a stand and other bits for it like some living rock etc.

FluvalEdge46L_zps0e1ce83f.jpg

Well Well Mr. Les ... not an upgrade but a second tank ... sounds like you got a SUPER deal and can't wait to see once it is in operation and the type of frags you are going to nurse to growth

Albert

I was on my boat today in the Long Island Sound and a member on here was there with me collecting grass shrimp next to my boat. He also collected this, which I studied when I got him home and I think he in an elver or baby eel.

They grow to about 4' long. I was studying him in a small tank that was suspended and I think he escaped.

Oh well, if I start seeing my fish disappear, I know he lived.

2014-05-12133115_zpsa66da2c8.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

I was on my boat today in the Long Island Sound and a member on here was there with me collecting grass shrimp next to my boat. He also collected this, which I studied when I got him home and I think he in an elver or baby eel.

They grow to about 4' long. I was studying him in a small tank that was suspended and I think he escaped.

Oh well, if I start seeing my fish disappear, I know he lived.

2014-05-12133115_zpsa66da2c8.jpg

Well I sure hope he does not start decimating your fish stock ....

Interesting looking and must be very young still looking at the size ...

Albert

He is about 2" long and totally see through. I never saw one this small as they get their black color just about at this size. If I see his tail sticking out of the water, I know he got to big.

The little sneak got sucked up in one of these as I was taking a little water out of his container, then he wouldn't come out, but I think he came out later when I used that in my reef.

He thinks he is smarter than me. OK, so I guess he is. But they spawn in freshwater so in 5 or 6 years, I may find him in my bath tub

feeders001.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

He is about 2" long and totally see through. I never saw one this small as they get their black color just about at this size. If I see his tail sticking out of the water, I know he got to big.

The little sneak got sucked up in one of these as I was taking a little water out of his container, then he wouldn't come out, but I think he came out later when I used that in my reef.

He thinks he is smarter than me. OK, so I guess he is. But they spawn in freshwater so in 5 or 6 years, I may find him in my bath tub

feeders001.jpg

Well I hope he is not of the nasty kind and decides your fish look appealing ... maybe you can catch him at feeding time and get him out of there ...

And for those who see this picture those are the feeding basters that Paul uses ... and that he makes himself (or I should say made himself)

Albert

Just completed my new hood/light surround box for my Fluval Edge 46L to house my 50w Chinese full spectrum LED unit.

FluvalEdgeLEDhood010_zps19dfbcb8.jpg

FluvalEdgeLEDhood011_zpsbe3f2cc3.jpg

FluvalEdgeLEDhood012_zps2ad705b4.jpg

Cost me £4.99p about $7 plus paint which I already had.

Be a week or so before the tank is up and running as I still need to get a stand and a few bots and bobs but I am getting there and I hope to have a stand by the weekend.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Just completed my new hood/light surround box for my Fluval Edge 46L to house my 50w Chinese full spectrum LED unit.

FluvalEdgeLEDhood010_zps19dfbcb8.jpg

FluvalEdgeLEDhood011_zpsbe3f2cc3.jpg

FluvalEdgeLEDhood012_zps2ad705b4.jpg

Cost me £4.99p about $7 plus paint which I already had.

Be a week or so before the tank is up and running as I still need to get a stand and a few bots and bobs but I am getting there and I hope to have a stand by the weekend.

Very nice Les and that was sure a good acquisition and you certainly made the light for it at minimal cost ...

Power to you !

I am sure we we'lll see pics of it when it is complete and running

Albert