inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Cormorant's where (and still are) a protected species in the UK, because of declining numbers...probably from over fishing in the rich North Atlantic waters. Well, I say declining, but they have a adapted quite well and have moved inland and are starting to decimate freshwater fish populations in some areas. I personally know of one lake of about ten acres that had a pair of Cormorants move in and while they were there literately clean the lake of fish.

• Like 2

We also have the same with Herons in the UK another protected bird spaces that is decimating lakes and even small garden ornamental ponds. These birds can be seen everywhere in the UK and are something of a pest now.

Cormorant's where (and still are) a protected species in the UK, because of declining numbers...probably from over fishing in the rich North Atlantic waters. Well, I say declining, but they have a adapted quite well and have moved inland and are starting to decimate freshwater fish populations in some areas. I personally know of one lake of about ten acres that had a pair of Cormorants move in and while they were there literately clean the lake of fish.

• Like 1

Herons in my koi pond was a real aggravation. My Black Lab figured out that I was annoyed with the predator in the yard and now guards against it.

Patrick

• Like 1

How about an exchange, you get our herons we get your cormorants?

WE have plenty of cormorants and they are also protected here. I wouldn't mind if we sent them to you so they could be protected someplace else.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I will unfortunately not be able to respond or comment on any messages till tomorrow ..

Got back from Rhode Island and due to the long hours and short sleep over the last couple of days, I mean short, I need to get some rest

Just wanted you to let you know why you did not see any comments

Albert

Your wife has a good sense of humor. Dating women that look like stonefish and trading Supermodels.

Subsea she is good like that and wants to give me to any one who will take me.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Albert, How was your Ottawa trip?

It was a real good trip ... gave two talks, the opening one and the closing one and both were very well attended and the feedback I received there and also via email and via the OVAS website is excellent.

Weather was cold, rainy, plenty of snow still on the ground .... and generally not pleasant but then I was inside most of the time so it did not bother me at all.

Trips to and back were LONG as going I had a 21/2 hour layover in Toronto and on the way back I had about the same time of a layover in Chicago .... in fact on the way back I left the Hotel at 9 AM and got to my house at 7:15 PM ...

Long day going and long day coming back ... I was "beat" I have to admit ...

The Convention though was very well organized and I compliment the Committee on setting up a really great show ! Very well attended too, and a good increase over the # of Hobbyists who attended last year.

Thanks for asking

Albert

• Like 1

Glad your trip went well Albert. It seems conventions here in the UK have died a death and I guess we can (to some extent) blame the interweb for that. There are still small meets with speakers now and again but nothing remotely like the ones you attended here some years ago. That's a real shame as when they were popular they were well attended. I guess progress is often progress in the wrong direction.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Glad your trip went well Albert. It seems conventions here in the UK have died a death and I guess we can (to some extent) blame the interweb for that. There are still small meets with speakers now and again but nothing remotely like the ones you attended here some years ago. That's a real shame as when they were popular they were well attended. I guess progress is often progress in the wrong direction.

Indeed Les the actual conventions were just fine if not better than fine, it was just that the trips to get there and return to ATL were tiring in both cases because of stop-overs in other cities and long layover times ....

And you are right I have not seen any announcement for Conventions in the UK for a long time.

I noticed Cockfields is doing something this week end I believe but it is local and at their facilities ... not like the larger ones that happen here in North America.

And true the Web may have something to do with it indeed.

I have to say that as I get a day older and older the trips take a larger toll on me ... tiring is what I mean ... but of course I still do enjoy giving the talks ..

Good to hear from you

Albert

Good morning all,

I like to share good news. The Marine Bioscience Department Head at University of Texas and the Curator for Marine Algae procurement will visit Aquaculture Ranch this afternoon. I am very excited about this development. In speaking with Doctor Brand, I joked about how would the Board of Regents view Longhorns purchasing algae from a Cajun Aggie. He laughed and said, "they need to have a sense of humor".

When it rains it pours is normally a phrase used describing bad events piling up. However, in the Texas Hill Country we are in the middle of a 200 year drought and pouring rain is a blessing. The same day that I received the phone call about the UT visit, my nephew Kurt dropped an email on me with some links to sea veggie products. I immediately told him my good news. He immediately informed me that he was investing in new technology to grow fruits and nuts using aquaponics and extended an offer to build and manage large scale commercial greenhouses. Kurt retired last year at the age of 50 years old. He was manager of the investment division of Deutche Bank. His retirement triggered world wide news releases in the financial community. He is his own investment bank.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

• Like 2
albertthiel

Good morning all,

I like to share good news. The Marine Bioscience Department Head at University of Texas and the Curator for Marine Algae procurement will visit Aquaculture Ranch this afternoon. I am very excited about this development. In speaking with Doctor Brandt, I joked about how would the Board of Regents view Longhorns purchasing algae from a Cajun Aggie. He laughed and said, "they need to have a sense of humor".

When it rains it pours is normally a phrase used describing bad events piling up. However, in the Texas Hill Country we are in the middle of a 200 year drought and pouring rain is a blessing. The same day that I received the phone call about the UT visit, my nephew Kurt dropped an email on me with some links to sea veggie products. I immediately told him my good news. He immediately informed me that he was investing in new technology to grow fruits and nuts using aquaponics and extended an offer to build and manage large scale commercial greenhouses. Kurt retired last year at the age of 50 years old. He was manager of the investment division of Deutche Bank. His retirement triggered world wide news releases in the financial community. He is his own investment bank.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Thanks for sharing that Patrick and that IS good news indeed on several fronts ...

Keep up posted will you ...

Albert

Hi Albert,

First Id like to say that im new to the hobby. Ive had a 20g long all in one tank setup since sept of 2013. Ive been happy with results but have recently found out that all the worms ive been seeing in the live rocks are of the Eunicid variety. I know that they will eventually eat my corals and fish if they get big enough. Therefore i would like to acid wash my current liverock and replace all the sand as they are living in there too. I have also noticed flatworms, two pistol shrimps and some gorilla crabs.

I would like instruction on how to transfer my livestock: 2 fish and over a dozen frags and some mushrooms to a temporary 10g setup, while i acid wash the rock and replace the sand in their current home. Ive been reading alot on the safety of doing this process and rest assured more than enough caution will be taken.

i was thinking of taking one peice of my current liverock which i have high in the tank that has not shown any worm life and put it in the 10g temp with a hang on back filter to estabish some bio life. After that is setup about 10-14 days. Im hoping id be able to xfer the livestock over? Would i also be able to put all snails, hermit crabs in this same setup bare bottom?

I would like as much detail as you could provide with the best way of doing this live rock live sand switch out, without losing my livestock snails, hermit crabs, and corals included. Thank you very much in advance. Ive tried the forum but no one seems to give full detailed account of how i should proceed. id like from start to finish if you could. I only have one 10g spare tank around to use along with heater and powerhead. Ill be buying the hang on back filter(whatever you suggest).

My thinking above is just my brain working overtime and just trying to think of how best to do this but again im new and my thinking could be very flawed!! lol I look for your expertise and knowledge......thanks again!!

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert,

First Id like to say that im new to the hobby. Ive had a 20g long all in one tank setup since sept of 2013. Ive been happy with results but have recently found out that all the worms ive been seeing in the live rocks are of the Eunicid variety. I know that they will eventually eat my corals and fish if they get big enough. Therefore i would like to acid wash my current liverock and replace all the sand as they are living in there too. I have also noticed flatworms, two pistol shrimps and some gorilla crabs.

I would like instruction on how to transfer my livestock: 2 fish and over a dozen frags and some mushrooms to a temporary 10g setup, while i acid wash the rock and replace the sand in their current home. Ive been reading alot on the safety of doing this process and rest assured more than enough caution will be taken.

i was thinking of taking one peice of my current liverock which i have high in the tank that has not shown any worm life and put it in the 10g temp with a hang on back filter to estabish some bio life. After that is setup about 10-14 days. Im hoping id be able to xfer the livestock over? Would i also be able to put all snails, hermit crabs in this same setup bare bottom?

I would like as much detail as you could provide with the best way of doing this live rock live sand switch out, without losing my livestock snails, hermit crabs, and corals included. Thank you very much in advance. Ive tried the forum but no one seems to give full detailed account of how i should proceed. id like from start to finish if you could. I only have one 10g spare tank around to use along with heater and powerhead. Ill be buying the hang on back filter(whatever you suggest).

My thinking above is just my brain working overtime and just trying to think of how best to do this but again im new and my thinking could be very flawed!! lol I look for your expertise and knowledge......thanks again!!

Not home right now. Will be too long a reply from phone, so will answer later

albertthiel

Hi Albert,

Just got home and wife is calling that dinner is ready ... so I will reply in the morning as I sign off at this time as I get up real early, but I will respond in the AM or before noon tomorrow ...

Albert