Innovative Marine Aquariums

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

eitallent

Welcome the season of extremes! No wonder the shroom melted and the Zoas look peaked. 100 degrees would melt me right into the fridge! :lol:

Wildfires are no joke. I hope they stay far from homes. :(

That puts the loss of a few plants in perspective. :) I'll take snow in May over wildfires any day. I will be laying down straw and covering them with a canvas. That may protect the core of the plant at least. I do not hold out much hope for the squash plants. Oh, well. I'll just plant them again! I like my garden veggies!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome the season of extremes! No wonder the shroom melted and the Zoas look peaked. 100 degrees would melt me right into the fridge! :lol:

Wildfires are no joke. I hope they stay far from homes. :(

That puts the loss of a few plants in perspective. :) I'll take snow in May over wildfires any day. I will be laying down straw and covering them with a canvas. That may protect the core of the plant at least. I do not hold out much hope for the squash plants. Oh, well. I'll just plant them again! I like my garden veggies!

Sounds like you have a great plan for the veggies. I love my garden veggies too. I can only do container gardening. I only have tomatoes this year. Well, I have hot peppers too but I don't count them as "veggies".

I would upgrade in a heartbeat but my dilemma is space. The only spot to put a new tank is exactly where this current tank stands. How do you transfer? I would use the same rock but need to add more so that whole "cycle" thing is an issue. LOL. I've been checking out CL occasionally for a deal I can't refuse. So far nothing....thank goodness :lol: But I do want to get a bigger tank, for sure. I want hairy mushrooms like Felicia's.

Awesome!!!! I hope they multiply like crazy for you too :D

Same thing here :( No red scooter today. He only saw the brown ones. He did see one red one but he said it was really skinny so he passed...thank goodness!!!!!! He's going to try again next week for me.

I did get my corals today :) Bad news...the mushroom melted in transit. There's a little bit of flesh left so I stuck it up on my frag rack. If the hermits get to it, it will be a late night snack. Hopefully they won't venture up there for awhile. It's possible some of the flesh that is left could regenerate. I was pretty bummed about it. I really wanted that berrylicious rhodactis! Purple and green. The zoas all seem to be doing well. Only the mellow yellows opened for me. They were quite generous with the amount of heads too. My candy zoas aren't in the best shape. Out of about 13 heads, only 3 look good. Can't wait to see these zoas open tomorrow!!!!! fingerscrossed

So all in all, not a bad day. AND....I'm up to $900 in my sprinkler fund :happydance: I'm actually going to borrow from savings for the rest. I still have to pay it back though. I'll be getting my sprinklers next week. Then I'll start a new fund (maybe)..."the upgrade fund" :D

Yeah, needing to put the tank in the exact same spot would make an upgrade difficult. My idea of how to do that would be to drain most of the water out of the current tank into a big storage container for a few minutes and move the tank to a temporary spot. Then put all the water back into the tank. That way you could free up the current spot to cycle the new tank. I know that's the only good spot, but you could probably have the current tank in a temporary location for a while right? If you do decide to upgrade, I'll send you a couple hair mushrooms :)

Sorry to hear you didn't get your scooter. I'm glad your LFS owner is a good enough guy to pass on a skinny one though. Hopefully he finds you a fat healthy one soon :) That stinks that the mushroom melted on you. It has been really hot the last couple days. We hit 85 today which is near record highs for here this time of year. We don't have AC, so I've been melting all day. Luckily my tank stayed steady at 78 degrees because it doesn't get hot for long enough during the day and it cools off at night.

I'm sure you're excited to be getting your sprinklers! With this weather, you definitely need them. You made $900 quickly! Sounds like it will be no time at all before you can start that upgrade fund :)

Spirofucci

Sprinklers are a must in the Valley unless your whole yard is a cactus garden!!!

So.......what would be your ideal upgrade????

Yeah, needing to put the tank in the exact same spot would make an upgrade difficult. My idea of how to do that would be to drain most of the water out of the current tank into a big storage container for a few minutes and move the tank to a temporary spot. Then put all the water back into the tank. That way you could free up the current spot to cycle the new tank. I know that's the only good spot, but you could probably have the current tank in a temporary location for a while right? If you do decide to upgrade, I'll send you a couple hair mushrooms :)

Sorry to hear you didn't get your scooter. I'm glad your LFS owner is a good enough guy to pass on a skinny one though. Hopefully he finds you a fat healthy one soon :) That stinks that the mushroom melted on you. It has been really hot the last couple days. We hit 85 today which is near record highs for here this time of year. We don't have AC, so I've been melting all day. Luckily my tank stayed steady at 78 degrees because it doesn't get hot for long enough during the day and it cools off at night.

I'm sure you're excited to be getting your sprinklers! With this weather, you definitely need them. You made $900 quickly! Sounds like it will be no time at all before you can start that upgrade fund :)

Oh cool!!!! That's an excellent plan for my upgrade. I'll do just what you said!!!!! It can sit in a bad spot temporarily while the new tank cyles :)

We're about 100 again today! Fires are breaking out around us. I'm so glad we didn't move into the hills.

Yeah, sales have been good!!!! (knock on wood).

Sprinklers are a must in the Valley unless your whole yard is a cactus garden!!!

So.......what would be your ideal upgrade????

I actually wouldn't mind a cactus/succulent garden in the front yard LOL. Our sprinklers in the front yard work great, it's just the ones on the parkway that don't run at all. That grass is what I'm tired of having to water with the hose. This is why I had to pay for this on my own, cuz it wasn't a necessity. Just a convenience for me ;) LOL All the sprinklers are ancient in the front yard so that's why I'm just having the whole shebang replaced. Can't wait :)

Ahhhhh...my ideal upgrade will be a 45g cube. I'll probably go with the Marineland, like Banshee. Haven't figured out all the details yet. I do want a sump/fuge for it though...that's for sure. Looks like I'll probably be doing this upgrade!!!! Least that's how I feel right now :)

its 32 degrees and rain/snowing here in stupid Wisconsin. :-)

That actually sounds a bit refreshing :)

Good grief...it's Friday again :happydance: TGIF!!!!

Here's the yuma you requested a photo of, Banshee!

050313no1_zpsdcdf5c44.jpg

Moe, Larry and Curly LOL

050313no2_zpse5716dbc.jpg

New zoas. Haven't found a permanent spot for them yet.

050313no3_zpscd0b0b88.jpg

Superman rhodactis are doing really well!!!!

050313no4_zpsc530ff30.jpg

You can see my new green zoas in this photo. They are to the left of the trumpets and sunny d's.

356577ae-377d-4ac2-b34e-aefbe4870f0f_zps

A closer pic of the new green zoas.

4d2fb6f4-678b-4881-8298-9244660c38e8_zps

You can see the mellow yellow zoas in this picture. They are to the left of the Oxides.

050313no5_zps3849ceaf.jpg

My red mushroom from Randi is FINALLY truly forming a new head :happydance:

050313no8_zps9bf478f8.jpg

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!!! :happy:

Spirofucci

TGIF!!!! Great pics!!!! Love the three stooges!!!!

45 cube sounds very nice!!!!! I didn't want to drill my 34 Solona cube, so I got an overflow box from Jeff @ Lifereef.......works great so far.

TGIF!!!! Great pics!!!! Love the three stooges!!!!

45 cube sounds very nice!!!!! I didn't want to drill my 34 Solona cube, so I got an overflow box from Jeff @ Lifereef.......works great so far.

Thanks, Mark!!! :D

I'm going to talk to my LFS about ordering the tank. I think he even drills them. Least I hope so!!!!! I want to have it drilled. I'm going to need your advice on a sump and skimmer! I'm going to try to just keep the light fixture I have, for now. Eventually I may save for a T5/LED combo fixture.

I'm going to try to take this very slowly. I still have some money to save up. Plus I want to get a 100mm lens omgomgomg

I have a severe case of mushroom envy! Your tank looks fantastic!!

Thanks :happy: My tank is definitely not lacking in the mushroom department LOL!
Spirofucci

I think drilled is much better, but I didin't want to do it myself. As you know I got my custom sump from Jeff....it was totally worth it for me, but it was $$$$. :blink:

The only advice I could give you is try and get the biggest sump you can fit. Not sure if you are going to make you own stand, but if you do make it bigger than the tank so you have a lip or shelf and have more room underneath. I'm sure you and yer hubby would have fun maing your own stand and sump!!!!

I was looking forward to your photos all afternoon! The tank is looking beautiful as always, but very full. Aren't you glad you're going to be upgrading? :D Oh, the reef bug. I hope its a while before I get a serious itch to upgrade.

A 45 cube sounds perfect and I'm glad you're getting a sump this time around. I kind of wish I had one just so I wouldn't have my AC70 HOB, but oh well. Maybe that'll be what I do when I get the upgrade itch, just plumb in a sump :lol: I'm am super excited to see what you do with a new tank. I was not kidding one bit about you being a reef master!

The new stuff from Reefs2Go looks great! You got me looking at their site now and they have some nice cheap zoas and the shipping is cheap. Ugh! I have no more space! I will admire your stuff instead of buying anything. Btw, I noticed the Devils Armor zoas really pop in the 2 photos they were in. They are going to look awesome when they grow out into a colony in there.

Oh and Larry, Curly, and Moe... :wub:

I think drilled is much better, but I didin't want to do it myself. As you know I got my custom sump from Jeff....it was totally worth it for me, but it was $$$$. :blink:

The only advice I could give you is try and get the biggest sump you can fit. Not sure if you are going to make you own stand, but if you do make it bigger than the tank so you have a lip or shelf and have more room underneath. I'm sure you and yer hubby would have fun maing your own stand and sump!!!!

I was looking online, and it seems some of these cubes can come with a predrilled corner-flo. And apparently my LFS carries these. I did the zipcode look-up and they were the only ones that popped up. How convenient :happydance:

I'll probably go with a custom sump to fit our custom stand. Oh...so excited about this!!!!! I want a really good skimmer too. I've noticed a big difference since I added my cheapo little skimmer :D

I was looking forward to your photos all afternoon! The tank is looking beautiful as always, but very full. Aren't you glad you're going to be upgrading? :D Oh, the reef bug. I hope its a while before I get a serious itch to upgrade.

A 45 cube sounds perfect and I'm glad you're getting a sump this time around. I kind of wish I had one just so I wouldn't have my AC70 HOB, but oh well. Maybe that'll be what I do when I get the upgrade itch, just plumb in a sump :lol: I'm am super excited to see what you do with a new tank. I was not kidding one bit about you being a reef master!

The new stuff from Reefs2Go looks great! You got me looking at their site now and they have some nice cheap zoas and the shipping is cheap. Ugh! I have no more space! I will admire your stuff instead of buying anything. Btw, I noticed the Devils Armor zoas really pop in the 2 photos they were in. They are going to look awesome when they grow out into a colony in there.

Oh and Larry, Curly, and Moe... :wub:

I am glad! I don't look forward to tranferring everything, but it will be worth the headache! This will be my first sump too!!!! omgomgomg

You're too kind with that "reef master" label. I think of myself as more of a "lucky reefer" that follows directions well LOL.

I'm on the fence with reefs2go. Still waiting on some of the zoas to open. One zoa looks nothing like the picture. But, for the price it was fine. I'm going to stick with "Felicia Frags" from now on ;) Those Devils Armor are my favs!!!!!

I was looking online, and it seems some of these cubes can come with a predrilled corner-flo. And apparently my LFS carries these. I did the zipcode look-up and they were the only ones that popped up. How convenient :happydance:

I'll probably go with a custom sump to fit our custom stand. Oh...so excited about this!!!!! I want a really good skimmer too. I've noticed a big difference since I added my cheapo little skimmer :D

I am glad! I don't look forward to tranferring everything, but it will be worth the headache! This will be my first sump too!!!! omgomgomg

You're too kind with that "reef master" label. I think of myself as more of a "lucky reefer" that follows directions well LOL.

I'm on the fence with reefs2go. Still waiting on some of the zoas to open. One zoa looks nothing like the picture. But, for the price it was fine. I'm going to stick with "Felicia Frags" from now on ;) Those Devils Armor are my favs!!!!!

I'm getting jealous of the upgrade plans now. This already sounds like it is going to be an amazing tank! So excited to follow along! And I am only telling the truth when I call you a reef master. You may think you're lucky and follow instructions, but I read a lot and put a lot of work into my tank as well and while I know I have a nice tank, your tanks just go above and beyond. You definitely have a knack with corals and making everything looks so natural! :D

Well at least the new zoas were inexpensive then. I will definitely continue to be your zoa source if you'd like :) I like the sounds of Felicia's Frags. Sounds like I should start a business. The pink hippos and pink zippers are growing great so I should be able to frag those soon. I'm irritated because my single polyp of CARs was doing well but then a hermit knocked it over and now it hasn't opened for several days. I hope it stops being touchy and opens back up soon.

WANT MOAR PICS

:lol:

Next week, my friend :happy:

I'm getting jealous of the upgrade plans now. This already sounds like it is going to be an amazing tank! So excited to follow along! And I am only telling the truth when I call you a reef master. You may think you're lucky and follow instructions, but I read a lot and put a lot of work into my tank as well and while I know I have a nice tank, your tanks just go above and beyond. You definitely have a knack with corals and making everything looks so natural! :D

Well at least the new zoas were inexpensive then. I will definitely continue to be your zoa source if you'd like :) I like the sounds of Felicia's Frags. Sounds like I should start a business. The pink hippos and pink zippers are growing great so I should be able to frag those soon. I'm irritated because my single polyp of CARs was doing well but then a hermit knocked it over and now it hasn't opened for several days. I hope it stops being touchy and opens back up soon.

Thank you :blush: I hope I don't let you down with the new tank!!!!

It's going to be so much work! But once it's done, it's done! And then I'll have my dream tank. Sumps seem a little scary to me. The whole overflowing thing. I'll hopefully have my LFS guy come out and help me with the plumbing. He's a great guy...very helpful.

I like the sound of "Felicia's Frags" too! You should definitely get into the frag business ;) Yay for new coral growth! You were so right....my red hornets are already popping out a baby :happydance:

I am sure you will do a great job with the new tank! I'm glad you're going to get your dream tank. I am not that easy...my dream tank would be big enough for me to dive in :lol: :lol:

Plumbing sumps does make me nervous too because of the overflow issue. I'm sure you'll do fine with some help though!

And woohoo! Baby hornet! Those grow fast in my tank so I'm glad they're growing fast in your tank as well.

Hey, Gena! Check out this vintage metal frame aquarium someone near me is selling on craigslist for only $30. Reminded me of some of the photos you posted of your dad's aquariums back in the day. I'm not old enough to have ever had one of these, but they're pretty cool looking.

3J33N13H95Ga5Ec5J5d4r946cfd29f6d712ec.jp

surgicalsense

Wow those were great pictures! Everything is so happy ... where is your black clown? Where did she go? :(

Oh... I just texted you and sent you pictures. I realized I did not give the new cell. The last four are 6536.

Hey, Gena! Check out this vintage metal frame aquarium someone near me is selling on craigslist for only $30. Reminded me of some of the photos you posted of your dad's aquariums back in the day. I'm not old enough to have ever had one of these, but they're pretty cool looking.

3J33N13H95Ga5Ec5J5d4r946cfd29f6d712ec.jp

That tank looks awesome! I don't think I'll ever find one of those that is "sea worthy". But, my son wants a bearded dragon, so maybe we can use one of those for it's home!

Wow those were great pictures! Everything is so happy ... where is your black clown? Where did she go? :(

Oh... I just texted you and sent you pictures. I realized I did not give the new cell. The last four are 6536.

Thanks, D!!!! I sold the black clown. Well, actually, I traded her in for some coral at Vivid. I knew those pics were you the minute I saw them....I know an SS scape when I see it :D

So the upgrade to the 45g cube is a go!!!!!! omgomgomg I've got the family on board LOL. We're going to rearrange the den for the upgrade. Move the couch to the other wall and get a NEW tv too LOL. A big one that hangs on the wall. That will make more room for us. The 28g can stay exatly where it is while I set up the new tank, what a relief!!!! I'm so excited about this upgrade!!!! Going to my LFS tomorrow to get some quotes :happydance:

My new tank will still be a mostly softy tank. Funny enough, the main reason for this upgrade is so I can get some giant hairy mushrooms from Felicia :lol: It'll be nice having more space of course. Right now I'm not planning to run a display fuge, but just a clump of chaeto and a skimmer. Seems to be working just fine in this current tank.

My husband has joked that this whole thing will be complete by May 15th. He knows I don't waste time once I have a plan. I think his predition is a bit early though. Guess we'll find out. We still need to make the stand.

I'm jealous and excited at the same time!!! :D :D Can't wait for your upgrade! :o

Thanks :) Once this is done, it should be it! I wouldn't want to go any larger than this size. I don't need to dive in my tank LOL (for Felicia :)).
Deleted User 3

I want a tank I can swim in lol. have to place a coral, so you put your wet suit in and hop in... lol. In all reality the biggest i'd go is prob 200 or so, but I doubt it'll ever get there. I want a big tank, it's harder to observe like I do now, but all in all.

Spirofucci

So cool that you are going to get started on the big fat upgrade!!!!! and....that you won't have to move your curent tank!!

Your son is going to love the bearded dragon!!!! They make great pets!!!

Archived