ReefCleaners.org

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

Deleted User 3

The cost of maintaining a big tank like that, scares me away!

Yeah no kidding, the initial costs are the biggie, but if you can set it up to be self sustaining, not add anything to it, just water change and top up, clean, etc it shouldn't be too bad. The work involved in WC'ing a 200 gallon setup... would suck lol

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That tank looks awesome! I don't think I'll ever find one of those that is "sea worthy". But, my son wants a bearded dragon, so maybe we can use one of those for it's home!

So the upgrade to the 45g cube is a go!!!!!! omgomgomg I've got the family on board LOL. We're going to rearrange the den for the upgrade. Move the couch to the other wall and get a NEW tv too LOL. A big one that hangs on the wall. That will make more room for us. The 28g can stay exatly where it is while I set up the new tank, what a relief!!!! I'm so excited about this upgrade!!!! Going to my LFS tomorrow to get some quotes :happydance:

My new tank will still be a mostly softy tank. Funny enough, the main reason for this upgrade is so I can get some giant hairy mushrooms from Felicia :lol: It'll be nice having more space of course. Right now I'm not planning to run a display fuge, but just a clump of chaeto and a skimmer. Seems to be working just fine in this current tank.

My husband has joked that this whole thing will be complete by May 15th. He knows I don't waste time once I have a plan. I think his predition is a bit early though. Guess we'll find out. We still need to make the stand.

You know, if you found one of those metal frame aquariums that leaked but all the glass was intact, you could just redo the silicone seams pretty easily. I actually really like how cool and vintage they look. Too bad I don't need another thank or I'd snatch that one up for $30 including the stand.

I'm so glad the upgrade is a go! Its going to make your life so much easier not having to move the current tank! I'm glad your family is on board. You do move fast! Lily's birthday is May 15th, so if you get your tank up then, it could have the same birthday as Lily :lol:

I will keep several hairy mushrooms on reserve for you in my frag tank. :D

Thanks :) Once this is done, it should be it! I wouldn't want to go any larger than this size. I don't need to dive in my tank LOL (for Felicia :)).

I always joke that I'd love a tank big enough to dive in, but the maintenance for that is the scary part. I'd need to have enough money to pay a service to maintain the tank, but then that takes all the fun out of it. Someday I'm going to have like a 250 gallon aquarium and that will be my dream tank :)

eitallent

So the upgrade to the 45g cube is a go!!!!!! omgomgomg I've got the family on board LOL. We're going to rearrange the den for the upgrade. Move the couch to the other wall and get a NEW tv too LOL. A big one that hangs on the wall. That will make more room for us. The 28g can stay exatly where it is while I set up the new tank, what a relief!!!! I'm so excited about this upgrade!!!! Going to my LFS tomorrow to get some quotes :happydance:

My new tank will still be a mostly softy tank. Funny enough, the main reason for this upgrade is so I can get some giant hairy mushrooms from Felicia :lol: It'll be nice having more space of course. Right now I'm not planning to run a display fuge, but just a clump of chaeto and a skimmer. Seems to be working just fine in this current tank.

My husband has joked that this whole thing will be complete by May 15th. He knows I don't waste time once I have a plan. I think his predition is a bit early though. Guess we'll find out. We still need to make the stand.

:haha:omgomgomg:happydance:

This is great news! Hooray! You are on the verge of not being a nano-reefer any longer. :lol:

jedimasterben
Yeah no kidding, the initial costs are the biggie, but if you can set it up to be self sustaining, not add anything to it, just water change and top up, clean, etc it shouldn't be too bad. The work involved in WC'ing a 200 gallon setup... would suck lol

There's a whole lot more that goes into it than that. Costs of maintenance on a large tank is still high.

You know, if you found one of those metal frame aquariums that leaked but all the glass was intact, you could just redo the silicone seams pretty easily. I actually really like how cool and vintage they look. Too bad I don't need another thank or I'd snatch that one up for $30 including the stand.

I'm so glad the upgrade is a go! Its going to make your life so much easier not having to move the current tank! I'm glad your family is on board. You do move fast! Lily's birthday is May 15th, so if you get your tank up then, it could have the same birthday as Lily :lol:

I will keep several hairy mushrooms on reserve for you in my frag tank. :D

I always joke that I'd love a tank big enough to dive in, but the maintenance for that is the scary part. I'd need to have enough money to pay a service to maintain the tank, but then that takes all the fun out of it. Someday I'm going to have like a 250 gallon aquarium and that will be my dream tank :)

That does sound like an excellent price for that aquarium! I should check CL for those as well.

I'll have to remember May 15th is Lily's birthday :happy: I don't think there's any way I'll have the tank going by then. I may have some equipment purchased, but I don't see the stand being together by then. Depends on if we work on it next weekend.

Thank you so much!!!!!! I can't wait to buy some of your hairy mushrooms!!!!! Hairy mushroom just sounds wrong :lol: But I LOVE them!!!!!

:haha:omgomgomg:happydance:

This is great news! Hooray! You are on the verge of not being a nano-reefer any longer. :lol:

:happydance: I won't be a Nano reefer anymore????? What's the cut-off? I'm still going to consider my tank a nano ;)

So I have been doing some research. So far this is what I've come up with for the upgrade:

*Marineland 45g Cube. I'm going with the NON Reef Ready version. I've read a lot of bad reviews on the factory drilled version. The overflow box is small, no emergency drain, and the placement of the holes is weird too. I'm going to see if I can have my LFS do the drilling for me. Or if he knows someone that can do it.

*I'm going to either paint the back black, or that funky cool color that trueisb used on his tank. Still looking into that.

*We're building the stand ourselves. I think I'll paint it a burgundy color.

*Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB110 4" Pinwheel from BRS

*Return pump: Eheim 1260 (BRS)

*Sump/fuge: Eshopps R-100 Refugium II. It's 24x12x16. It's a 20g sump. Has 3 compartments with the nice refugium section in the center. I have a light I can use already, I think. Should work. (From The Doctor's).

Any comments on what I've figured out already? Any comparatively priced items that might work better? I'd love a life reefs sump/fuge but those are way out of my price range. Looks like this upgrade is going to be around $1000.00. Heck...probably much more. We all know how that goes!!!!!

I'm going to see what equipment my LFS can offer too and at what prices. Least I have something to base his suggestions on now.

Have I mentioned how excited I am about this???? :D

I'll have to remember May 15th is Lily's birthday :happy: I don't think there's any way I'll have the tank going by then. I may have some equipment purchased, but I don't see the stand being together by then. Depends on if we work on it next weekend.

Thank you so much!!!!!! I can't wait to buy some of your hairy mushrooms!!!!! Hairy mushroom just sounds wrong :lol: But I LOVE them!!!!!

:happydance: I won't be a Nano reefer anymore????? What's the cut-off? I'm still going to consider my tank a nano ;)

Have I mentioned how excited I am about this???? :D

Well May 15th is sort of Lily's made up birthday. She was a rescue, so I don't know exactly what day she was born. The vet that first looked at her for the rescue and estimated her age listed an estimated birthday as May 15th, so I just use that as her birthday. I've got to figure out a fun toy or something to get her. She is already spoiled rotten and has a giant pile of toys :lol:

I figured you wouldn't make it by May 15th, but sounds like you're getting going pretty quickly. Exciting! I'm soooooo excited to follow along. I'm going to be living vicariously through your upgrade since I refuse to upgrade again for quite a long time. Also, you're still a nano reefer imo. The cut-off is usually anything 60 gallons or under I think.

Gena, you won't have to buy the mushrooms. They'll be my tank warming present to you if you'll just pay shipping, which will be cheap since they can go USPS priority (assuming it isn't super hot when I ship). :D I've got 2 of them in my frag tank that I'll save for you. Hairy mushroom does sound wrong, so I normally call them fuzzy mushrooms. That sounds a little better, I think...

The tank and the stand sound great to me! What color background besides black are you considering? I don't remember seeing that. Is it a blue color?

I'd give you input, but I know nothing about sumps since I've never had one and haven't researched buying one yet. I also don't run a skimmer, so I'm useless in that department as well. If you ever decide to put an awesome LED fixture over the new tank though, then I can be of help :D

Well May 15th is sort of Lily's made up birthday. She was a rescue, so I don't know exactly what day she was born. The vet that first looked at her for the rescue and estimated her age listed an estimated birthday as May 15th, so I just use that as her birthday. I've got to figure out a fun toy or something to get her. She is already spoiled rotten and has a giant pile of toys :lol:

I figured you wouldn't make it by May 15th, but sounds like you're getting going pretty quickly. Exciting! I'm soooooo excited to follow along. I'm going to be living vicariously through your upgrade since I refuse to upgrade again for quite a long time. Also, you're still a nano reefer imo. The cut-off is usually anything 60 gallons or under I think.

Gena, you won't have to buy the mushrooms. They'll be my tank warming present to you if you'll just pay shipping, which will be cheap since they can go USPS priority (assuming it isn't super hot when I ship). :D I've got 2 of them in my frag tank that I'll save for you. Hairy mushroom does sound wrong, so I normally call them fuzzy mushrooms. That sounds a little better, I think...

The tank and the stand sound great to me! What color background besides black are you considering? I don't remember seeing that. Is it a blue color?

I'd give you input, but I know nothing about sumps since I've never had one and haven't researched buying one yet. I also don't run a skimmer, so I'm useless in that department as well. If you ever decide to put an awesome LED fixture over the new tank though, then I can be of help :D

Awww....so sweet! I'll definitely pay the shipping. Thanks for the gift :) Can't wait!!!! I will want to buy a frag of green slimer from you though. I'm not adding any SPS except for that!!!! I like that SPS tooo much not to add a piece to my new bigger tank :happydance:

The background color is a blue/grey shade. I'll probably just stick with black though. I'd hate to not like the different color and be stuck with it. Black is tried and true!

Yay upgrade! *happy dance*

I know!!!! omgomgomg

Went to my LFS today. He can order everything on my list and it sounds like he'll price match what I found online. He asked for the prices I found for the items online. He recommended not going with the eheim pump though. Said if something goes wrong with it, you can't get parts. So we're going to go with a Mag 500??? I think that's what he said. It's what he uses in the store. Says they are great pumps.

He'll have marineland make the cuts at the factory. They'll cut to his specifications. And...they can do complete installation...so phew!!!! I don't have to worry about plumbing at all :happydance:

This weekend is Mother's Day weekend. I'm going to request building the stand as my gift :D

You're very welcome, Gena. The mushies will look very nice in your new bigger tank :) I figured you might want some slimer. I'll make you a nice big frag when you're ready for it. That will probably need to go overnight shipping though, so if you want to keep an eye out for it locally, it will probably be cheaper for you.

I think you're smart to stick with black as the background. You can't change the color if you don't like it and you already know you like black.

Sounds like you have an awesome LFS! Glad he's helping you so much and that they can take care of all the drilling and plumbing for you. That's the part that scares me about having a sump. Too much you can mess up and either ruin a brand new tank or flood your house. Let the experts handle it for you!

That sounds like a perfect Mother's Day gift. Too bad my mom isn't into aquariums. I would love to do something aquarium-related for her for Mother's day :lol: My mom has taken care of some of my tanks over the years because she's a great mom, but she definitely doesn't enjoy the hobby. I sent my mom some plants for Mother's Day. She'd been admiring the bougainvillea when she was out here visiting, so I sent her two different varieties of that from a nursery. I also sent her a Lowe's giftcard to go get hanging baskets for them.

I haz tank videos and new photos sooooon.

Awesome!!!!

You're very welcome, Gena. The mushies will look very nice in your new bigger tank :) I figured you might want some slimer. I'll make you a nice big frag when you're ready for it. That will probably need to go overnight shipping though, so if you want to keep an eye out for it locally, it will probably be cheaper for you.

I think you're smart to stick with black as the background. You can't change the color if you don't like it and you already know you like black.

Sounds like you have an awesome LFS! Glad he's helping you so much and that they can take care of all the drilling and plumbing for you. That's the part that scares me about having a sump. Too much you can mess up and either ruin a brand new tank or flood your house. Let the experts handle it for you!

That sounds like a perfect Mother's Day gift. Too bad my mom isn't into aquariums. I would love to do something aquarium-related for her for Mother's day :lol: My mom has taken care of some of my tanks over the years because she's a great mom, but she definitely doesn't enjoy the hobby. I sent my mom some plants for Mother's Day. She'd been admiring the bougainvillea when she was out here visiting, so I sent her two different varieties of that from a nursery. I also sent her a Lowe's giftcard to go get hanging baskets for them.

I wouldn't mind paying overnight shipping from you. I love your corals :)

They charge for installation, but he said he'd give me a great deal. I'm just thrilled to know it will be completely taken care of. Sumps always scared me, but now I'm just so excited about having one. The den is tiled so even if there is a mishap, I'm not destroying wood floors!!!!

My mom actually LOVED my dad's reef tanks, but she was completely clueless about the care. Only thing she could do was top-off. Sounds like a really nice gift for your mom. I'll do my typical restaurant GC for my mom. She loves that :)

I'm happy and sad to hear about the upgrade. I'm sure it will look fantastic, with lots of shrooms, but I really like this tank. :)

Resistance to change!

Awesome!!!!

I wouldn't mind paying overnight shipping from you. I love your corals :)

They charge for installation, but he said he'd give me a great deal. I'm just thrilled to know it will be completely taken care of. Sumps always scared me, but now I'm just so excited about having one. The den is tiled so even if there is a mishap, I'm not destroying wood floors!!!!

My mom actually LOVED my dad's reef tanks, but she was completely clueless about the care. Only thing she could do was top-off. Sounds like a really nice gift for your mom. I'll do my typical restaurant GC for my mom. She loves that :)

Glad you like my corals so much! At least you're in the state, so overnight shipping isn't too expensive.

I'm glad you don't have to stress over the installation and that you have the tank on tile floor. My tank is sitting on carpet in my upstairs apartment, so if it ever leaked its going to be dripping on my downstairs neighbors. That would not be good.

My mom enjoys my tank, but she doesn't like the maintenance involved. My dad is pretty much the same way. He set up a tank with me when I was young kind of on a whim, so he got me into the hobby but was never very into it himself. Restaurant GC's are always a good mother's day gift. :D

I'm happy and sad to hear about the upgrade. I'm sure it will look fantastic, with lots of shrooms, but I really like this tank. :)

Resistance to change!

I would agree with you, but Gena has such a blue thumb that I'm positive the new tank will look even better than this one in no time at all. :D

Resistance to change!

I understand. I'm actually not too sad though. I've never been super crazy about the AIO. I've always wanted a true cube tank too!!!! And I'm keeping all the same corals. It will just be bigger and hopefully better!!!!

So far the only additions I'm planning are:

Fuzzy mushrooms (hairy)

Green slimer

Red goni

And you know I'll add even more mushrooms. I'm addicted LOL.

Glad you like my corals so much! At least you're in the state, so overnight shipping isn't too expensive.

I'm glad you don't have to stress over the installation and that you have the tank on tile floor. My tank is sitting on carpet in my upstairs apartment, so if it ever leaked its going to be dripping on my downstairs neighbors. That would not be good.

My mom enjoys my tank, but she doesn't like the maintenance involved. My dad is pretty much the same way. He set up a tank with me when I was young kind of on a whim, so he got me into the hobby but was never very into it himself. Restaurant GC's are always a good mother's day gift. :D

I would agree with you, but Gena has such a blue thumb that I'm positive the new tank will look even better than this one in no time at all. :D

I don't just REALLY like your corals...I ADORE your corals!!!!! :lol:

Yeah...having a sump on carpet, on a second floor, in earthquake country, no less, would be very scary!!!!!

I'm feeling pressure omgomgomg....just kidding :D I've already been planning the new scape in my head LOL.

Deleted User 3

Youre addicted to mushrooms like I am zoas lol. Zoas and mushrooms are what I love, but I only like the ricordea ones, and the rhodactis. I like other coral too but I can't get too much to fluoresce like I want so.

I don't just REALLY like your corals...I ADORE your corals!!!!! :lol:

Yeah...having a sump on carpet, on a second floor, in earthquake country, no less, would be very scary!!!!!

I'm feeling pressure omgomgomg....just kidding :D I've already been planning the new scape in my head LOL.

Well thank you! I am glad you like my taste in corals. :blush:

Its scary enough having a tank on carpet, on the second floor, in earthquake country. I don't need to add plumbing to that. The ATO even makes me nervous, but I LOVE it so much now. So convenient. I want one for the frag tank when I sell enough frags to buy another one.

No pressure! You're just awesome at this hobby! What are you thinking for scape? Arch, pillars, grotto, bonsai, shelves, etc?

jedimasterben

I'm moving my tank from faux-wood floors (that are now ruined lol) to carpet (which I already flooded last year lol). I'm a winner!

I sure wish they made the 45g tank in rimless, I would totally use one for my 'little' tank instead of the 30g I have now. That extra 6" height makes a world of difference! But now I'm thinking of making the shallow tank a clam tank.... :ninja:

And if you have a local glass shop that sells 1/4" glass cut to size, I would very highly recommend to make your own sump out of a Petco $/g special.

I would also consider the SCA-303 skimmer like I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-Gallon-Fresh-Saltwater-Fish-tank-Protein-Skimmer-/380448876410?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item589485277a

It is rated for a larger system than the RO one, and is cheaper. I used its little brother for several months before upgrading to the SCA-303. Pulls skimmate like a champ from 20-25 fish. :)

Youre addicted to mushrooms like I am zoas lol. Zoas and mushrooms are what I love, but I only like the ricordea ones, and the rhodactis. I like other coral too but I can't get too much to fluoresce like I want so.

A tank full of mushrooms is so pretty!!!! I like the zoas too. Mushrooms and zoas = win!!!!!

Well thank you! I am glad you like my taste in corals. :blush:

Its scary enough having a tank on carpet, on the second floor, in earthquake country. I don't need to add plumbing to that. The ATO even makes me nervous, but I LOVE it so much now. So convenient. I want one for the frag tank when I sell enough frags to buy another one.

No pressure! You're just awesome at this hobby! What are you thinking for scape? Arch, pillars, grotto, bonsai, shelves, etc?

I'm thinking very similar to what it is now...a mountain LOL. Just bigger. I'll be ordering more rock from KPA too. Maybe a little mushroom island off to one side. It's going to be so nerve-wracking scaping the tank with coral already on the rocks. Plus the worry of there being a little fish in one of the holes!!!!!

I'm moving my tank from faux-wood floors (that are now ruined lol) to carpet (which I already flooded last year lol). I'm a winner!

I sure wish they made the 45g tank in rimless, I would totally use one for my 'little' tank instead of the 30g I have now. That extra 6" height makes a world of difference! But now I'm thinking of making the shallow tank a clam tank.... :ninja:

And if you have a local glass shop that sells 1/4" glass cut to size, I would very highly recommend to make your own sump out of a Petco $/g special.

I would also consider the SCA-303 skimmer like I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-Gallon-Fresh-Saltwater-Fish-tank-Protein-Skimmer-/380448876410?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item589485277a

It is rated for a larger system than the RO one, and is cheaper. I used its little brother for several months before upgrading to the SCA-303. Pulls skimmate like a champ from 20-25 fish. :)

:lol: winner!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!! It certainly would be more economical to do the sump myself. We do in fact have a glass shop right down the street. I'll give it some thought. I should get my quote tomorrow. That may push me to do the sump myself.

I'll look into that skimmer too!!!! Thanks for the money-saving tips :D

I'm thinking very similar to what it is now...a mountain LOL. Just bigger. I'll be ordering more rock from KPA too. Maybe a little mushroom island off to one side. It's going to be so nerve-wracking scaping the tank with coral already on the rocks. Plus the worry of there being a little fish in one of the holes!!!!!

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm a big fan of the traditional mountain scape and the rock you got from KPA is awesome. My dry rock doesn't look nearly as nice, but luckily its pretty much covered in coral at this point :lol: That awesome live rock made your tank look so much more lush and natural! I like the idea of mushroom island too!

And yeah, the whole move is going to be super stressful. I don't envy you that part. Luckily it will just be a few hours of stress and then it will be all done. Just do a lot of prep work, have tons of extra water on hand, and take your time and it will all go fine. Hopefully your little fish won't give you too many troubles. My pistol shrimp gave me the most issues when I moved tanks because as soon as I picked up the rocks, he burrowed down into the sand. He's tiny so I had to spend forever running my fingers through the sandbed of the 10 gallon once everything else was out before I bumped into him and he snapped at me.

eitallent

Felicia that pistol shrimp sounds so cute! What a feisty little fella. :D

Gena, you are on a roll! I cannot wait to see you reach your final destination, but the journey getting there is half the fun. Please do not spare any of the details. I want to live vicariously through you! :lol:

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm a big fan of the traditional mountain scape and the rock you got from KPA is awesome. My dry rock doesn't look nearly as nice, but luckily its pretty much covered in coral at this point :lol: That awesome live rock made your tank look so much more lush and natural! I like the idea of mushroom island too!

And yeah, the whole move is going to be super stressful. I don't envy you that part. Luckily it will just be a few hours of stress and then it will be all done. Just do a lot of prep work, have tons of extra water on hand, and take your time and it will all go fine. Hopefully your little fish won't give you too many troubles. My pistol shrimp gave me the most issues when I moved tanks because as soon as I picked up the rocks, he burrowed down into the sand. He's tiny so I had to spend forever running my fingers through the sandbed of the 10 gallon once everything else was out before I bumped into him and he snapped at me.

It will be very stressful, but like you said, when it's done, it's done. I'll make sure to have a LOT of water on hand. Luckily I don't have a pistol shrimp!!!! That must have been surprising when he snapped at you!!!!

Felicia that pistol shrimp sounds so cute! What a feisty little fella. :D

Gena, you are on a roll! I cannot wait to see you reach your final destination, but the journey getting there is half the fun. Please do not spare any of the details. I want to live vicariously through you! :lol:

:D

I'll be sure to document and let you all know every step of the new build. Today I did nothing with it ;) I'm thinking of ordering my LR from KPA now and cycling it in a bucket. Get an early jump on it. I'm going to buy cured this time, but it will still go through a cycle.

Yep...that sounds like the one.

Had more thoughts on the new tank. I'm going to do two islands. One will be my green cloves, and the other will be the green rhodactis and superman rhodactis. Those corals seem to be the fastest growing so it's probably better to isolate them from the main rockwork.

Can't wait :happydance:

They run warm and are electricity hogs.

Good to know. What do you know about the Rio brand of return pump? I've always heard Rio is bad but my LFS thinks they are great pumps and much less expensive. I'm not sure exactly which model of Rio. Do you have another pump suggestion?

Edit: The plan is to build the stand this weekend. I'll then paint it next week. :happydance:

surgicalsense

Sweet! Up grades are always a treat! .... I have a Fluval Spec pico 2g I will putting in my bedroom ;)

Archived