inTank Media Baskets

Pinched Mantle disease

ZephNYC

jedimasterben

I usually dip all corals in an iodine solution (using Lugol's), and then a freshwater dip before going into my tank. All fish get a freshwater dip, as well.

Soon I shall have me a clam... soon!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
I usually dip all corals in an iodine solution (using Lugol's), and then a freshwater dip before going into my tank. All fish get a freshwater dip, as well.

Soon I shall have me a clam... soon!

Good for you Ben ... before you do make sure you talk to Zeph and get his recs on how to handle it as he does not use the standard type dips if I remember correctly ...

Zeph ... are you back ?

Albert

jedimasterben
Good for you Ben ... before you do make sure you talk to Zeph and get his recs on how to handle it as he does not use the standard type dips if I remember correctly ...

Zeph ... are you back ?

Albert

That was my plan! Zeph is the man!

That was my plan! Zeph is the man!

THanks Jedi ! I FEEL LOVED !!! Im coming home Tuesday and have lots to talk about...lots of bad new too :angry: . I will cath up soon.

Edit: Are you getting that maxima we spoke about?? I hope so It will look great in my tank.

albertthiel
THanks Jedi ! I FEEL LOVED !!! Im coming home Tuesday and have lots to talk about...lots of bad new too :angry: . I will cath up soon.

Edit: Are you getting that maxima we spoke about?? I hope so It will look great in my tank.

Good to hear you'll be back and hope the bad news is not BAD, just not good ...

Guess we'll hear from you then ....

Albert

jedimasterben

No, I'm not getting that one, though it is recovering, surprisingly! Last time I was in there it was open wide!

I don't want to spend a ton of money on one, but I do want a T. maxima, and they are always on the pricey side. One LFS got in a shipment of about 5 or so around 5-6", but they want $140 apiece for them. They are not even sitting upright in any substrate or rockwork, so if they attach their byssal threads anywhere, they'll not hesitate to cut them or break them off to remove the clam immediately to make a sale.

They did the same with a rose bubble tip anemone to me - it was in a small glass bowl in their frag tank and the owner just pulled it right out and tore the anemone's foot in at least five places. I didn't see him do it, but I saw the damage to the foot before I acclimated it. I immediately brought it back and exchanged it for another one, this time I took the bowl it was in home and waited for it to move on its own. The other anemone that I took back did not survive two weeks. A shame.

No, I'm not getting that one, though it is recovering, surprisingly! Last time I was in there it was open wide!

I don't want to spend a ton of money on one, but I do want a T. maxima, and they are always on the pricey side. One LFS got in a shipment of about 5 or so around 5-6", but they want $140 apiece for them. They are not even sitting upright in any substrate or rockwork, so if they attach their byssal threads anywhere, they'll not hesitate to cut them or break them off to remove the clam immediately to make a sale.

They did the same with a rose bubble tip anemone to me - it was in a small glass bowl in their frag tank and the owner just pulled it right out and tore the anemone's foot in at least five places. I didn't see him do it, but I saw the damage to the foot before I acclimated it. I immediately brought it back and exchanged it for another one, this time I took the bowl it was in home and waited for it to move on its own. The other anemone that I took back did not survive two weeks. A shame.

ITs not like the guys at your LFS dont know these things, They just dont truly care and are usually in a hurry. Clams in retailers need to be sat in rubble. THis way they can attach all they want and still be removed easy. I once purchased a carpet and the LFS employee proceeded to RIP it from the nice sized rock it was on. Long/short - I wound up purchasing the rock too. I'm on my way home today. I have not seen my tanks in 4 days but my babysitter said " I think the clams are dead".

I know why too. Right before I left I switched the sump from a 20 to a 40 breeder. The display is only a 30. I filled the new sump with 30 gal of new reef crystals...upping the system from 40G to 60G. A 50% WC is a lot. Long ago I learned that clams do not like water changes. ESPECIALLY clams that MIGHT be carrying perkinsus. The way I feel now I will not attempt to cure them. Back to the drawing board. ALso these clams came from Dr.Mac, and were in QT. I also spoke with another NR member who purchsed a clam that was in the same lot as mine, and his just died of PM too.

it is relentless.

jedimasterben
ITs not like the guys at your LFS dont know these things, They just dont truly care and are usually in a hurry. Clams in retailers need to be sat in rubble. THis way they can attach all they want and still be removed easy. I once purchased a carpet and the LFS employee proceeded to RIP it from the nice sized rock it was on. Long/short - I wound up purchasing the rock too. I'm on my way home today. I have not seen my tanks in 4 days but my babysitter said " I think the clams are dead".

I know why too. Right before I left I switched the sump from a 20 to a 40 breeder. The display is only a 30. I filled the new sump with 30 gal of new reef crystals...upping the system from 40G to 60G. A 50% WC is a lot. Long ago I learned that clams do not like water changes. ESPECIALLY clams that MIGHT be carrying perkinsus. The way I feel now I will not attempt to cure them. Back to the drawing board. ALso these clams came from Dr.Mac, and were in QT. I also spoke with another NR member who purchsed a clam that was in the same lot as mine, and his just died of PM too.

it is relentless.

Oh boy. That's terrible news. This is why I don't want to purchase a clam from anywhere online, and I don't want to purchase one from that LFS either - I found a derasa clam in a different section of the frag tank that has pinched mantle, so I'm assuming that all the new clams that were all just ripped from the ocean are all bound to die very soon. Pretty disappointing. :/

my babysitter said " I think the clams are dead".

it is relentless.

Your clams were showing no signs of the disease in QT, how did they go from healthy to dead in 4 days?

Your clams were showing no signs of the disease in QT, how did they go from healthy to dead in 4 days?

I havnt even seen them yet, but if Glen says he thinks they are dead, they either are, or are dammed close. I believe they were carrying perkinsus ( i now take it for granted that they ALL do). I think my insane use of carbon kept them looking good for the 6 weeks they were in QT. Then hitting them with a dose of iron via 50% change ignited the parasite. I suggest that when you fill your new sump, fill it with as little new water as necessary to get the plumbing working. Then wait at least a week before adding more. I keep hearing Julian Sprungs voice saying " water changes are a disruption" I am starting to feel he is correct, especially when it comes to bivalves.

jedimasterben
I've been making water for 2 days now, I'm guessing by the time I fill the sump it will qualify as old water.

Maybe take a "piddle" in it and it should be ready for the clam. ;)

jedimasterben
:o

I'm convinced that's what Zeph does in his basement even though he doesn't fess up to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A better smiley: icon_rofl.gif

albertthiel
I havnt even seen them yet, but if Glen says he thinks they are dead, they either are, or are dammed close. I believe they were carrying perkinsus ( i now take it for granted that they ALL do). I think my insane use of carbon kept them looking good for the 6 weeks they were in QT. Then hitting them with a dose of iron via 50% change ignited the parasite. I suggest that when you fill your new sump, fill it with as little new water as necessary to get the plumbing working. Then wait at least a week before adding more. I keep hearing Julian Sprungs voice saying " water changes are a disruption" I am starting to feel he is correct, especially when it comes to bivalves.

Not sure if you are home yet but give us an update and maybe some pics of what you find upon your return so we can see what they look like

And if they are gone ... sorry to read it Zeph ... really sorry

Albert

I guess massive water changes yes but smaller ones IME not ... but I guess you did quite a large one by changing that system around ... what a shame ...

Albert

Not sure if you are home yet but give us an update and maybe some pics of what you find upon your return so we can see what they look like

And if they are gone ... sorry to read it Zeph ... really sorry

Albert

Albert,

I am on my way home this afternoon and am not looking forward to the mess I will be returning to. The only thing bad about having a ton of tanks is im always scared to take a vacation.

albertthiel
Albert,

I am on my way home this afternoon and am not looking forward to the mess I will be returning to. The only thing bad about having a ton of tanks is im always scared to take a vacation.

Understood. That was feeling as well when I ran a lot of tanks and was not always able to find someone to take care of them who was really knowledgeable about the systems and what had been and needed to be done to them.

Unfortunately I think that happens to a lot of us when we go away for a few days unfortunately.

Automation and more automation I guess is probably part of the answer

Albert

:o

I'm convinced that's what Zeph does in his basement even though he doesn't fess up to it.

There ARE some secrets I have managed to keep to myself. I still regret telling you the penny trick. Im going to have to frisk you on Sunday. :o

jedimasterben
There ARE some secrets I have managed to keep to myself. I still regret telling you the penny trick. Im going to have to frisk you on Sunday. :o

Pics or it didn't happen.

:naughtydance:

albertthiel

The penny trick ... you'll have to tell us ...

Albert

Quick question... Are clam shells usually see through when they are babies? My lfs had 3 tiny clams, no larger than maybe.... 2-2.5 inches and were sort of transparent. I didn't think of taking a picture.

Quick question... Are clam shells usually see through when they are babies? My lfs had 3 tiny clams, no larger than maybe.... 2-2.5 inches and were sort of transparent. I didn't think of taking a picture.

The entire shell??? Which would be bad... or just the edges where new growth occured ??

If more than just the edge at 2 - 2.5 inches, it is definitely not a good sign. If you said 1.5 inches I would say its ok. Growers use high strontium levels in water to get clams ( and sps) to grow faster, and it works. BUT the clam shells grow weak and thin and often see through.

The penny trick ... you'll have to tell us ...

Albert

Whooaaaaa boy....ME AND MY BIGGGGGG MOUTH!!!!!!

Sorry I have not gotten to the clam info yet Albert, Ive been very busy after 4 days away from my tanks. Im getting some ideas together to post about what I am going to do now about my PM syndrome, and will go postal ASAP. ...

The penny trick...oh boy...i will tell you in pm's.

The entire shell??? Which would be bad... or just the edges where new growth occured ??

If more than just the edge at 2 - 2.5 inches, it is definitely not a good sign. If you said 1.5 inches I would say its ok. Growers use high strontium levels in water to get clams ( and sps) to grow faster, and it works. BUT the clam shells grow weak and thin and often see through.

Whooaaaaa boy....ME AND MY BIGGGGGG MOUTH!!!!!!

Maybe it was a bit smaller than that... I just glanced at it and said "oh" then kept on walking.

And no pm ing the secret. What is a forum but a way to help EVERYONE. >:(

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived