5mL of decapsulated brine shrimp

a full cube of Hikari-brand mysis shrimpies

1/8th teaspoon of Coral Frenzy

1/8th teaspoon of Reef Cleaners Filter Feeder Food

1/8th teaspoon of frozen Cyclop-Eeze

1/4 teaspoon Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets

1/8th teaspoon of New Life Spectrum small fish Thera+ pellets

lol

Also, added 5mL of Aquavitro Fuel, which is absolutely wicked awesome. If you don't currently use it on your reef, I'd recommend you get some soon. :)

That' a lot of food Ben ... guess you turn all pumps/filters off but for how long ?

And how is the nutrient level in the tank affected by that heavy feeding if I may ask?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
That' a lot of food Ben ... guess you turn all pumps/filters off but for how long ?

And how is the nutrient level in the tank affected by that heavy feeding if I may ask?

I turn off my return pump for 1-4 hours. I forget about it a lot. ;)

I dont know how it affects the nutrient levels, i have always used sugar as control.

I turn off my return pump for 1-4 hours. I forget about it a lot. ;)

I dont know how it affects the nutrient levels, i have always used sugar as control.

Yes I do remember that you use the sugar additive (VSV method) to control nutrient levels.

I feed mostly Cyclop-eeze, and turn off the HOB filter and the Skimmer (just installed yesterday), but let the internal power head run to keep the food particles move around.

The Bi-color Blenny feeds on it with vim and vigor, but the Yellow Rose Goby is not interested in it that much, but I add it mainly for the corals that are in the tank, which appear to capture it pretty well at night after the lights are out, and the tank is in the semi-dark and the coral's feeder tentacles are out, or the particles stick to the other corals (I use the frozen variety).

I am going to try some other foods and get them when I go to the LFS next time.

jedimasterben
Yes I do remember that you use the sugar additive (VSV method) to control nutrient levels.

I feed mostly Cyclop-eeze, and turn off the HOB filter and the Skimmer (just installed yesterday), but let the internal power head run to keep the food particles move around.

The Bi-color Blenny feeds on it with vim and vigor, but the Yellow Rose Goby is not interested in it that much, but I add it mainly for the corals that are in the tank, which appear to capture it pretty well at night after the lights are out, and the tank is in the semi-dark and the coral's feeder tentacles are out, or the particles stick to the other corals (I use the frozen variety).

I am going to try some other foods and get them when I go to the LFS next time.

Cyclop-eeze isn't the best to feed the fish with often, it's very high in fat and can lead to issues down the road. That's why I feed so many different things, no fish grabs only one type of food. ;)

The best frozen food is Piscene Energetics brand mysis cubes, but I use Hikari brand mysis because they are smaller and my fish eat them more readily.

For pellets, Ocean Nutrition Formula One & Two are a good combination, and as is New Life Spectrum brand. I have been feeding the Thera+ pellets because my molly's poo has been white and stringy, and Thera+ can help with that without having to add additional medication to its food. If it doesn't improve, it will go into QT to cure it.

Cyclop-eeze isn't the best to feed the fish with often, it's very high in fat and can lead to issues down the road. That's why I feed so many different things, no fish grabs only one type of food. ;)

The best frozen food is Piscene Energetics brand mysis cubes, but I use Hikari brand mysis because they are smaller and my fish eat them more readily.

For pellets, Ocean Nutrition Formula One & Two are a good combination, and as is New Life Spectrum brand. I have been feeding the Thera+ pellets because my molly's poo has been white and stringy, and Thera+ can help with that without having to add additional medication to its food. If it doesn't improve, it will go into QT to cure it.

Thanks Ben, with all the new foods on the market nowadays it is hard indeed to keep track of what is best, or what is considered better. In my days in the hobby when I was running TAT, the choices were kind of limited as you may remember. Nowadays it seems that every week something new that claims to be better comes on the market (well not quite every week, but often enough).

I also feed the fish micro pellets and both fish go for those voraciously.

I'll have to try some of the ones you recommend (not the Thera+ though at this time).

BTW did you see those Purple Rimmed Monti's I posted on my thread ? Wow, aren't they super looking

Awesome shot of Gigas clams playing in low tide. Girls just wanna have fu - un!

splashae.png

Great ... no damage due to air contact ... but this may only apply for these (gigs? cannot tell from the pic but in view of the size ...

You know I do. I would literally kiss them.

And bring one back ... but you would need a "slightly larger" aquarium for one of those :)

You know I do. I would literally kiss them.

or use them for a bathtub, I bet even you would fit in there! those are enormous.

How many people could say they had a bath in a clam-tub.

Of course if it decided to eat you..... :blink:

jedimasterben
or use them for a bathtub, I bet even you would fit in there! those are enormous.

How many people could say they had a bath in a clam-tub.

Of course if it decided to eat you..... :blink:

he'd just go beefcake on them and hulk zeph smash his way out.

B)

he'd just go beefcake on them and hulk zeph smash his way out.

B)

LOL. Hey, If I had to choose a way to die, what would be more appropriate than getting eaten by a giant clam? Kind of like Steve Irwin and that giant sting ray.

jedimasterben
LOL. Hey, If I had to choose a way to die, what would be more appropriate than getting eaten by a giant clam? Kind of like Steve Irwin and that giant sting ray.

:(

I believe I have found FOURTEEN GIANT clams in this picture. If the object breaking the water surface is white, you can be assured it is a clam shell. Also note the macro I cricled in white.

splashedit.png

• 3 months later...

Wording if you could tell me if this looks like a pinched mantle to you, I purchased it but they are holing it for me I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

69275438-D1C0-49BE-B4A2-3FFF170C598B-580-000000BFAD3AA767.jpg

It seems like the end closest to the camera is possibly pinched but I have no experience. Thank in advance. :)

Wording if you could tell me if this looks like a pinched mantle to you, I purchased it but they are holing it for me I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

It seems like the end closest to the camera is possibly pinched but I have no experience. Thank in advance. :)

Look ok to me

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived