Jessy's Radion RSM 130d

Jessy-Ray

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

Anyone know what this is???? turned up uninvited slow grower

Looks very much like the piece I had - see here for discussion: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=303748

Mine melted away quite quickly .. yours is attached so stands a better chance, hope so because it's purdy!

Also ...

ololol if anything it's the other way around. Jessie with a y sounds more girly ahahah.

Yep, totally assumed you were a girl.

Looks very much like the piece I had - see here for discussion: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=303748

Mine melted away quite quickly .. yours is attached so stands a better chance, hope so because it's purdy!

Also ...

Yep, totally assumed you were a girl.

I definitely see some similarities, though mine

is individual flat leaves. Will post in that forum and shoot for a more positive ID

What is it that gives everyone this impression??

Perhaps I will roll with it, adjust my details and start swapping pics of heels with kat

Pictures look awesome, such a clean scape and tank! Also that macro is dragons breath.

Thank you kindly!, For the compliment and ID

The macro started growing quite rapidly, really strange as it took about 5 months to get to that size but in the last 3 weeks it has increased by 50%+.

070.jpg

075.jpg

072.jpg

068.jpg

Moved the clam 4 times tried in vain to secure it, it has claimed the sandbed for its own and has snuggled up with the Scoly :lol:

albertthiel
Thank you kindly!, For the compliment and ID

The macro started growing quite rapidly, really strange as it took about 5 months to get to that size but in the last 3 weeks it has increased by 50%+.

070.jpg

Moved the clam 4 times tried in vain to secure it, it has claimed the sandbed for its own and has snuggled up with the Scoly :lol:

Jessy-Ray look at my thread as this may be another algae ... is this green or blue ? If it is green I believe it may be Valonia and that would be a real nice round ball ...

Albert

Jessy-Ray look at my thread as this may be another algae ... is this green or blue ? If it is green I believe it may be Valonia and that would be a real nice round ball ...

Albert

LOL are you talking about the three balls in a circular formation??

because if you are they definitely aren't algae rather it is a trio of trochus snails.

They were having a secret snail meeting about secret snail business (productivity, escape and all that)

Sooooo update is late and less good than I hoped, was to busy to spend any real amount of time taking pics so all the ones I took look pretty crappy :(

IMG_5099.jpg

I love this viewpoint just wish I could take a nicer pic of it, any ideas?

IMG_5062.jpg

Clearly need to do a better job cleaning the glass before pics haha

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5057.jpg

The crappy painting and clock were there before I put the giant hangers in front of them

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg

Anyone know what this is???? turned up uninvited slow grower

So Further Updates are as follows....

Moved the Acan colony from the rockwork to the substrate on the front left side, it was joined by a similar sized colony of really nice tri-colour acans :)

A very small clam (pretty sure it is a Squamosa) took the Acans place on the rocks

488074_10150885586181790_823408118_n-1.jpg

I did not take this photo nor is it of my tank. It is the Clam I bought from my LFS, pic was taken by the owner. I have no pics of the clam where it is now

I bought another Scoly (no good pics)

Finally I am waiting to get ATO resevoir made which is going to be at least another week as the crowd who is doing the work for has shut down for this week :(

Your tank is really looking awesome!

Love your scoly collection especially that rainbow one. B)

Cheers Bud I will be getting more!!!!. They're one of my favorites.

Your tank is really looking awesome!

Thank you!!!!

albertthiel

because if you are they definitely aren't algae rather it is a trio of trochus snails.

They were having a secret snail meeting about secret snail business (productivity, escape and all that)

Well the color confused me ... so what algae where you talking about and can you post a pic of it as I could not see what algae it was then ... I thought it was the balls at the top which look like Valonia but obviously that is to it :-)

A pic of the algae itself would help Jessy-Ray

Red Titan algae is a possibility

Albert

A pic of the algae itself would help Jessy-Ray

Red Titan algae is a possibility

Albert

I already posted 2 pictures?????

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

The Radion is currently set to 60% peak power, for now this is where it is staying as one of my scolys and one of my plates started to show signs of bleaching.

Finally got my ATO reservoir all hooked up, it ended up with a 12 litre capacity which is about 8-9 days worth on average ( I think haha).

I've changed from Seachem Reef salt to Aquavitro Salinity. I am not entirely certain how to make the change gentle (or if I really have to). Any help/opinions or advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting a Helfrichi :D, but first I have to catch my Decora :(. While the tank is assembled this is practically impossible. However I may be moving in a couple of weeks so I will take action then.

I made a mesh top (in anticipation of the Helfrichi).

Finished my apprenticeship omgomgomg

Quick update

The Radion is currently set to 60% peak power, for now this is where it is staying as one of my scolys and one of my plates started to show signs of bleaching.

Finally got my ATO reservoir all hooked up, it ended up with a 12 litre capacity which is about 8-9 days worth on average ( I think haha).

I've changed from Seachem Reef salt to Aquavitro Salinity. I am not entirely certain how to make the change gentle (or if I really have to). Any help/opinions or advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting a Helfrichi :D, but first I have to catch my Decora :(. While the tank is assembled this is practically impossible. However I may be moving in a couple of weeks so I will take action then.

I made a mesh top (in anticipation of the Helfrichi).

Finished my apprenticeship omgomgomg

Bleaching with Radion at 60%? Hummm , What do you keep your ALK at? I have a theory that high ALK makes corals more susceptible to bleaching.

Salt switch, just make small WC's 5%, once/twice a week with the new salt. Slowly introduce it over the next month. I recently changed as well, Seachem Reef to H2Ocean. Aquavitro is a Seachem product, let me know how you like it.

I am getting a Helfrichi :D, but first I have to catch my Decora :(. While the tank is assembled this is p

Switching salts is like switching a cats litter or their food. You mix a little bit of the brand they're used to with a little bit of the new stuff. gradually increase the new stuff till that is all you are using. This prevents shock to the tank because water chemistry will be different with a new salt.

HTH.

Bleaching with Radion at 60%? Hummm , What do you keep your ALK at? I have a theory that high ALK makes corals more susceptible to bleaching.

Salt switch, just make small WC's 5%, once/twice a week with the new salt. Slowly introduce it over the next month. I recently changed as well, Seachem Reef to H2Ocean. Aquavitro is a Seachem product, let me know how you like it.

My ALK is actually quite low (to low perhaps) at 7dkh

Calcium is at 460

ALK has been low for a while, I am using API kits which I embarrassingly can't remember the age of (certainly less than 1 year though). I think I should get some new kits to confirm and perhaps I will have to dose???. What would you recommend for me here in regards to type of kit and possible dosing?.

Thank you for advice on salt, I will begin the changes immediately.

I will certanily let you know how it goes, it is supposed to be pretty top notch.

Switching salts is like switching a cats litter or their food. You mix a little bit of the brand they're used to with a little bit of the new stuff. gradually increase the new stuff till that is all you are using. This prevents shock to the tank because water chemistry will be different with a new salt.

HTH.

HAHAHA nice analogy!. Seems like pretty sound advice thank you!, I will use what both you and NT have suggested. Starting with 2 small water changes this week, 1st at maybe 70% Reef salt and the 2nd at 60%.

I will keep going on that pattern until I am at 0% Reef salt and 100% Aquavitro at which point I should perhaps continue with bi-weekly 5% before finally resuming weekly 15% changes

Sounds like a plan??

I've said this before: I'm quite the macho dude, but when it comes to my tank, I'm a nelly drag queen.

Dosing always scares me because I don't trust one time readings on any test kit. That's why I have at least two different types of test kits for results. I use the API for all of them, but I really like the Red Sea Pro for Ca and Mg. I use Hanna for Alk as well.

I think BRS has some vids on these kits.

I've said this before: I'm quite the macho dude, but when it comes to my tank, I'm a nelly drag queen.

Dosing always scares me because I don't trust one time readings on any test kit. That's why I have at least two different types of test kits for results. I use the API for all of them, but I really like the Red Sea Pro for Ca and Mg. I use Hanna for Alk as well.

I think BRS has some vids on these kits.

HAHAHA :lol:

I hear ya!

I watched the vids by BRS and I like what I saw particularly the titrator. I think I'll get a bunch next time I go to Vebas. Starting with reef foundation pro and depending on my ALK readings I'll grab a Hanna as well.

Thanks for your help boss!

So I picked up the Red Sea Reef foundation test kit today. I am pretty happy with it, my only gripe is the instruction cards which are quite vague other than that I really like them. My levels all tested pretty well.

Calcium: 545 ppm (pretty high?)

Magnesium:1320 ppm

ALK : 10.something dkh

These aren't definite results as I am new to these kits, I know that I ####ed up the ALK so I am testing again tomorrow and will repost or edit.

IMG_5340.jpg

New Ricordea, this is very close to actual colouring.

IMG_5163.jpgIMG_5329.jpg

The Dragons Breath has grown VERY rapidly lately, there is also a similar macro sprouting just next to it. The new macro has a dark almost grey body with a fluorescent orange outline.

IMG_5342.jpgIMG_5334.jpg

Archived