inTank Media Baskets

Jessy's Radion RSM 130d

Jessy-Ray

Uh huh, you saw his site then? I have to say though, I did not pay anywhere near those prices for my 5 JF corals but boy are they purdy! They are brilliantly colored and make a statement.

The ones you picked up at the frag swap?? I'll have to go scour your thread to see what ya got. That is two things that are sadly nonexistent here, frag swaps and people like Jason fox as the aquarium industry is many years behind IMO

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, this thing is really coming together!! I know I've said it before, but I really am diggin yer scape!!

albertthiel

Go for it ... sounds like a real good topic too ... and I am sure you can do it Kat

Go :)

Albert

how to survive your first year of reef keeping. Yes I can write that.

Bad news, huge storms and total blackouts mean the tank has been without power for 16 hours!, I'm really stressing right now have to go to work but will be getting a generator while I'm there and heading home early with it.

Generator is powered up all systems back up and running. Total no power time equals 21 hours. Tank temp hit 22c or 71.6f. On my way back to work now, when I get home I'll do a 15% WC and new CPE, everything appears okay so I'm hoping everything for the best

that scoly is even prettier in daylights!

I wholeheartedly agree! Never seen this colour before! Looooove it

Man, this thing is really coming together!! I know I've said it before, but I really am diggin yer scape!!

Tanks Mark its slowly going the way I want it to, up until yesterday that is :(

very nice!!!

Thanks Jr!! Appreciate ya takin a look

Oh man!! Glad the power came back on!! I live in a hurricane area and sometimes the power goes out for no reason. So I did get the ecotech battery back up for the mp10 and I have a generator. My tank is only 7months old and I have used both a couple of times already!

IMG_0215.jpg

albertthiel

Sorry to read it and I hope everything works out well for you .. would be a shame if it did not

I have always wondered whether one can actually insure one's tank and it's content against power outage that last for so long .... I'll have to check on that

Albert

Bad news, huge storms and total blackouts mean the tank has been without power for 16 hours!, I'm really stressing right now have to go to work but will be getting a generator while I'm there and heading home early with it.

Good investment to protect your tanks indeed. When I lived in NM I had a large one too as there it was not the weather that would cause the outages but just the power company that was I guess no so well equipped and power went out for no reason whatsoever too ... never figured out why although I did ask them a couple of times so the generator came in as a savior for sure .. not cheap some of those but I guess it's all a matter of what it is protecting ...

Albert

Oh man!! Glad the power came back on!! I live in a hurricane area and sometimes the power goes out for no reason. So I did get the ecotech battery back up for the mp10 and I have a generator. My tank is only 7months old and I have used both a couple of times already!

IMG_0215.jpg

I ran a 75 gallon on a generator for two weeks after Katrina hit me. I was living in Hattiesburg MS. Ran my freezer, my fridge, my tank and a fan. Kept rotating 1 liter frozen water bottles in the sump. Didn't lose anything. People had to be wondering what was going on in my house. Bright blue glow coming from the windows at night in a pitch black neighborhood.

Hey Mark, almost every time I visit your thread (pretty damn often) I see that you budgeted in a genset. Each time I think to myself that your a seriously prepared guy and that maybe I should get one. I feel like a reckless idiot now! After spending 5 hours driving around searching for a genset I realised that I was completely at fault and I had put my pride and joy in the terrible place where it was at. This is a lesson learnt for me. With no casualties I got off lightly IMO

Sorry to read it and I hope everything works out well for you .. would be a shame if it did not

I have always wondered whether one can actually insure one's tank and it's content against power outage that last for so long .... I'll have to check on that

Albert

Good investment to protect your tanks indeed. When I lived in NM I had a large one too as there it was not the weather that would cause the outages but just the power company that was I guess no so well equipped and power went out for no reason whatsoever too ... never figured out why although I did ask them a couple of times so the generator came in as a savior for sure .. not cheap some of those but I guess it's all a matter of what it is protecting ...

Albert

Thank you Albert, it does appear that everything is largely unscathed. After about 14 with no power the fish looked very lethargic and even lost colour, it was at this stage that I became truly desperate and grabbed a large soup ladle type utensil and began manually stirring water (purposefully introducing air with each stroke), I did this for a few minutes every ten minutes, I went to work in search of a generator but my brother continued the job for me and I strongly believe that action is the only reason I didnt lose any of my animals in the unpowered time.

I am considering shortening the photoperiod for a few days and slowly increasing it over another couple of days, would you see any benefits to be had in such an excercise?

I ran a 75 gallon on a generator for two weeks after Katrina hit me. I was living in Hattiesburg MS. Ran my freezer, my fridge, my tank and a fan. Kept rotating 1 liter frozen water bottles in the sump. Didn't lose anything. People had to be wondering what was going on in my house. Bright blue glow coming from the windows at night in a pitch black neighborhood.

Whoa two weeks!!!, kudos for being prepared. As far as suspicions about the bright blue light. I believe it is common occurence for members of the public to be of the opinion that we are not carefully tending to marine aquaria but rather that we are in fact cultivating large amounts of illicit substances hahah!

Hey Mark, almost every time I visit your thread (pretty damn often) I see that you budgeted in a genset. Each time I think to myself that your a seriously prepared guy and that maybe I should get one. I feel like a reckless idiot now! After spending 5 hours driving around searching for a genset I realised that I was completely at fault and I had put my pride and joy in the terrible place where it was at. This is a lesson learnt for me. With no casualties I got off lightly IMO

I am considering shortening the photoperiod for a few days and slowly increasing it over another couple of days, would you see any benefits to be had in such an excercise?

I used to live in Los Angeles and went through all the earthquakes and now I live in deep South Texas, where hurricanes are not common, but we did have one a few years ago where the power was out for 12 days. I didn't have a generator then, but wished I had! Fortunately no fish tank either!

I would leave the lights on. Even if you get an algae bloom, it should be fine because algae eats all the bad stuff. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

I used to live in Los Angeles and went through all the earthquakes and now I live in deep South Texas, where hurricanes are not common, but we did have one a few years ago where the power was out for 12 days. I didn't have a generator then, but wished I had! Fortunately no fish tank either!

I would leave the lights on. Even if you get an algae bloom, it should be fine because algae eats all the bad stuff. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Crazy stuff, 12 days is a loooong time. The storm that caused my blackout isn't excessively bad just managed to hit several key points in the network I guess as there is still widespread blackouts, winds only topped 135 km/h

Alright I will maintain normal photoperiod with close observation

Hi Jessy Ray, hope everything turned out alright after your ordeal. I have a "million-air" back up oxygenator. It's a small pump with a tube and an air stone. Runs with a big D battery and plugs in to the wall socket. When it detects no electricity, the pump comes on and there is oxygen in the water. It cost me $10.

A live in an apartment building so a genset is not possible for me, but I am looking into a battery backup, an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) that will power basic things: filter and heater and possibly a small light.

Hi Jessy Ray, hope everything turned out alright after your ordeal. I have a "million-air" back up oxygenator. It's a small pump with a tube and an air stone. Runs with a big D battery and plugs in to the wall socket. When it detects no electricity, the pump comes on and there is oxygen in the water. It cost me $10.

A live in an apartment building so a genset is not possible for me, but I am looking into a battery backup, an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) that will power basic things: filter and heater and possibly a small light.

Thanks Kat!!, Everything seems as happy as so I'm incredibly relieved at this point. The storm is however returning tonight and tomorrow reportedly more destructive than before :scarry: :scarry:, I am more prepared now though thank goodness.

I am now familiar with the battery powered air pumps as my favourite LFS offered to drop them off to anyone in need of one up until midnight the first night of the power outages!!. I think what you say about a UPS is a brilliant idea, I was considering something similar that would compensate for a shorter power outage ( couple of hours) and then fire up the generator if it lasts any longer.

On a less serious note my green tentacle plate decided to go for a walk, straight into the scoly!

:slap:. moved it as soon as I saw it no harm done haha

albertthiel

A genset generator I guess ... always comes in handy to have a generator but some of them an run a hefty price ...

Albert

Thank you Albert, it does appear that everything is largely unscathed. After about 14 with no power the fish looked very lethargic and even lost colour, it was at this stage that I became truly desperate and grabbed a large soup ladle type utensil and began manually stirring water (purposefully introducing air with each stroke), I did this for a few minutes every ten minutes, I went to work in search of a generator but my brother continued the job for me and I strongly believe that action is the only reason I didnt lose any of my animals in the unpowered time.

Great idea ... and for $10 that's a super way to go but how long will it run and pump oxygen in the water? I guess what it does is pump air into the tank and some oxygen at the same time right ... sure a lot less expensive than a generator and as you say in an apartment that is a bit difficult to use (and usually noisy) :)

Albert

Wow very nice work on the scape. I am following now. :)

Thanks man, I'm quite happy the corals will be getting shuffled soon when I begin trying SPS!

Hope all is well with your tank, it looks wonderful.

Thank you very much ma lady, your tank is quite sensational to I might add.

Archived