inTank Media Baskets

Jessy's Radion RSM 130d

Jessy-Ray

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems my firefish is dead which ####ing sucks. He started thinning out a few weeks back though it was very slow.

When he was healthy, at times just before feedings I could tell that he that he had an empty stomach but recently he looked more emasciated so I increased the amount of food he got. At first it seemed like it was working but then he deteriorated again not long after. last time I saw him 4-5 days ago he was quite skinny but he was eating like a pig as always so I wasnt really worried. it has been nearly a week now so I don't think I will see him again ;(

This is not cool.

Sorry about the fishy :tears: , Spirofucci is right, sometime there's nothing you can do.

dKH at 7 is fine, 7.5-8.0 will give you some room to play with incase you forget to dose once, your KH wont get to low.

Cheers guys

I didn't fully understand what you said about adjusting alk NT?

So I popped into the LFS a few minutes ago and spied a nice acro colony, what further caught my eye was the cute little acro crab nestled in between it's corallites. Needless to say I bought it, then in the car I had a quick gander in the bag and it turns out it was a pair of the adorable little bastards!!!

Cheers guys

I didn't fully understand what you said about adjusting alk NT?

What I meant was if you keep your target dKH at 8.0, you have some room to play with if it drops a little. I know many people who keep 6.5 dKH with good growth. But they need to stay on top of things, if it drops below 6.5 problems start. I have kept my reef at 10 dKH and 7 dKH and never saw any growth difference. I advocate for 7-8 dKH in the reef.

:happydance:

Funny you should reply first Kat, when I saw the first one I immediately thought about yours and it's shenanigans :D

What I meant was if you keep your target dKH at 8.0, you have some room to play with if it drops a little. I know many people who keep 6.5 dKH with good growth. But they need to stay on top of things, if it drops below 6.5 problems start. I have kept my reef at 10 dKH and 7 dKH and never saw any growth difference. I advocate for 7-8 dKH in the reef.

Oh okay then, excellent. That helps a bit for sure, once the move is out of the way I will strive for 8dkh. Thank you ever so much always good when someone can answer in such a way that it makes a confusing task seem a bit simpler.

It seems my firefish is dead which ####ing sucks. He started thinning out a few weeks back though it was very slow.

When he was healthy, at times just before feedings I could tell that he that he had an empty stomach but recently he looked more emasciated so I increased the amount of food he got. At first it seemed like it was working but then he deteriorated again not long after. last time I saw him 4-5 days ago he was quite skinny but he was eating like a pig as always so I wasnt really worried. it has been nearly a week now so I don't think I will see him again ;(

This is not cool.

Internal parasites or bacterial infection maybe ? That would be a possibility IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Well then, that wasn't so hard now was it.

Moved the tank yesterday 20/09/2012.

Start to finish (including procrastination and appropriate vehicle retrieval) I got it done in about 7 hours.

I just bought 8 extra 20 L buckets and started by mostly filling one of the buckets and chucking one of the three main pillars (corals all still attached) in said bucket and repeat 2 more times for the rest of the rock work. Then I drained the rest kept about 70% of the old water. Chucked all the sand away, cleaned the tank and the hit the old frog and toad more or less. Set up was simply reversal of the procedure, scape is 90% same as before with only changed position and better separate island.

Biggest change is I am now BB!

Well then, that wasn't so hard now was it.

Moved the tank yesterday 20/09/2012.

Start to finish (including procrastination and appropriate vehicle retrieval) I got it done in about 7 hours.

I just bought 8 extra 20 L buckets and started by mostly filling one of the buckets and chucking one of the three main pillars (corals all still attached) in said bucket and repeat 2 more times for the rest of the rock work. Then I drained the rest kept about 70% of the old water. Chucked all the sand away, cleaned the tank and the hit the old frog and toad more or less. Set up was simply reversal of the procedure, scape is 90% same as before with only changed position and better separate island.

Biggest change is I am now BB!

Don't take a break till you post some crappy phone pics!

Sounds like you had it all under control with the move. BB will really help keep the tank clean, my Pico is BB. I just use a turkey baster and blow the detritus around the tank once a day.

Don't take a break till you post some crappy phone pics!

Man I tried but the leds messed with my phone so bad you couldn't even see in the tank!

Soon!

Sounds like you had it all under control with the move. BB will really help keep the tank clean, my Pico is BB. I just use a turkey baster and blow the detritus around the tank once a day.

Yeah that is what I was going for, looks super clean and awesome to!.

Glad the move went well, nice one!

cheers man, spent 4 times as much time worrying about it than what it took to actually do it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
4015347[/url]']

Thanks heaps Amayeu, I was inspired by a few scapes here on NR (mainly MedReds). Your Av seems familiar, do you have a thread?

Just edited a pic of one of fish for an avatar. Saw this type of pic with another reefer. Head on pic of a fish, possibly a different anthia.

Btw. This sunburst anthia is in a RSM. lol.

Also cool to see a clock in your tank shots. No time stamp on a camera needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived