ReefCleaners.org

Jessy's Radion RSM 130d

Jessy-Ray

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That scoly is beautiful :D

Thanks Paige it's currently my favourite piece in the tank!

UPDATES;

Been ignoring my thread a bit recently but no major changes so no harm done i guess

I'm still trying to make my mind up on this light, The hybrid fixure Spiro is messing around with got me thinking that i might also want to go that way or try an ATI 6 bulb powermodule ahhhhh decisions decisions.

I would love to know what all you guys think??

Got a few new corals

Fungia.jpg

Green Fungia- Love this

Rics.jpg

Got these same time as the scoly so not that new just been trying to get pics

Trachyphilia.jpg

Found this Trachyphyllia thought the colour was pretty interesting (being dirt cheap didn't hurt either)

Backshot.jpg

Pair of Trachyphyllias

Spirofucci

Nice pics of some purdy corals! As you know the stock lighting on the RSM is pretty good, but you can do better! I wish I had a good recommendation for ya. All lighting has it pros and cons, I do love my Radion. The advantages for me are full spectrum, (I think), fully programable, shimmer, less heat, less cost to operate, and never having to change the bulbs. Having said that guys like Rehype and others have gone back to multi bulb t5 combos with incredible results.

So far I really like my radion/rsm combo. Time will tell if it will be an improvement.

Nice pics of some purdy corals! As you know the stock lighting on the RSM is pretty good, but you can do better! I wish I had a good recommendation for ya. All lighting has it pros and cons, I do love my Radion. The advantages for me are full spectrum, (I think), fully programable, shimmer, less heat, less cost to operate, and never having to change the bulbs. Having said that guys like Rehype and others have gone back to multi bulb t5 combos with incredible results.

So far I really like my radion/rsm combo. Time will tell if it will be an improvement.

Thanks Mark for the compliment and for your opinion.

I definitely want the Radion for all the reasons you have listed and the hybrid seems like a really good way to go (best of both worlds) this is the way I'm leaning atm. I think if i do a hybrid i will go with two individual 24w reflectors, obviously one either side. I hope this will give me a reasonable amount of flexibility. Although regardless of my choice i will no doubt go Radion first then slowly make a fixture and fit the T5's later

I also got some slightly better pics of the Scoly!, I have some serious troubles getting good pics of this thing

Scoly.jpg

IMG_4982_hf.jpg

Little update, while doing a water change on Monday I cleared a bit more sand bed and moved the plate. It is now much happier and I hope to get another one on Saturday (along with whatever other crazy animals catch my eye).

P.S. Tank hits 6 months in about a fortnight - Time to start thinking about a MANDARIN!!!!!!

Spirofucci

Way cool Jessy! My tank is just over 6 mos.

I really think a Radion is the best light for the RSM!

Mandarin? Super cool fish! I think in last months, Coral Magazine, there were a few good articles on them.

albertthiel

Absolutely Gorgeous .... wow ... and if only $60 it's a steal indeed

Albert

$60 is a score. They usually run from $200 - $redic. Those master scolys fetch a hefty price tag. This one below probably sold for a 1K.

cherry_knocker.jpg

Beautiful ... love them ...

Albert

Thanks Mark for the compliment and for your opinion.

I definitely want the Radion for all the reasons you have listed and the hybrid seems like a really good way to go (best of both worlds) this is the way I'm leaning atm. I think if i do a hybrid i will go with two individual 24w reflectors, obviously one either side. I hope this will give me a reasonable amount of flexibility. Although regardless of my choice i will no doubt go Radion first then slowly make a fixture and fit the T5's later

I also got some slightly better pics of the Scoly!, I have some serious troubles getting good pics of this thing

Scoly.jpg

IMG_4982_hf.jpg

Absolutely Gorgeous .... wow ... and if only $60 it's a steal indeed

Albert

Beautiful ... love them ...

Albert

WHOA, thank you so much for taking a look at my thread albert

I'm sorry that I don't know more about your work (I believe you were lecturing and publishing etc. before i was born). I do know enough to say you are a legend!

Thanks for the comments on the Scoly, It hadn't even been in my LFS display for 3 hours before i grabbed it!

The owner tried to take a photo and was disappointed as i had already bought it!

P.S. Tank hits 6 months in about a fortnight - Time to start thinking about a MANDARIN!!!!!!

Oh gosh has it been that long already! You're right you started 2 days before me.

I'm digging the warm colours in your tank. Are you still running the t5s? I added some LEDs for all the SPS I have. Still going to add one more light.

Oh gosh has it been that long already! You're right you started 2 days before me.

I'm digging the warm colours in your tank. Are you still running the t5s? I added some LEDs for all the SPS I have. Still going to add one more light.

Hey Kat, Thanks!. Yes I'm still running the T5's for now changing to Radion as soon as I can though. As you can see I have no SPS, this is the case for two reasons 1: I'm a total rookie and have no experience with them. 2: Online sales here are crap and LFS has little to offer in this field!!. This may be about to change as the last time I was at said LFS the owner told me about the upcoming build of their dedicated SPS frag/display tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Kat, Thanks!. Yes I'm still running the T5's for now changing to Radion as soon as I can though. As you can see I have no SPS, this is the case for two reasons 1: I'm a total rookie and have no experience with them. 2: Online sales here are crap and LFS has little to offer in this field!!. This may be about to change as the last time I was at said LFS the owner told me about the upcoming build of their dedicated SPS frag/display tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birds nest will be fine under T5s, keep all of them high up till you change to radions. I would send you some frags but you live next door dontcha.

Birds nest will be fine under T5s, keep all of them high up till you change to radions. I would send you some frags but you live next door dontcha.

Really?, I really like the way birdsnest looks to! I find this news pleasing..... :happy:

Next door???????????????????????????, I do not believe this is the case hahahaha

albertthiel

And if I may ask what Town or City are you in that LFS do not stock good marine stuff and no frags or other hard coral frags ... that is odd ... I find as I have been going around LFS that unless you go to a non large chain one you may indeed run into that problem. I was at a Petsmart two days ago and at 2 Petco's and none had hard stoneys and their choice of other corals was minimal to say the least. Their aquarium selection was just th standard stuff (rectangular and front bowed anything you wanted with or without stands) but nothing for Nano reefs or pico ones.

Even their selection of Marine fish was very poor (Petco as Petsmart did not have any marine section at all).

Book selection at those chain stores was very poor as well and besides stuff by Axelrod (TFH) they did not have much to offer.

I did find one store though in Duluth (ATL) called Atlanta Aquarium that had just about everything we reef keepers can think of. Super choice, great looking small and large to very large tanks. Not much for Nano though except for the Oceanic BioCube and the newer Coralife/Oceanic one (29G) as the newer one has more lighting options than the basic Oceanic one from what I could determine.

Anyway let me know ... I am interested.

Thanks

Albert

albertthiel on NR

Spirofucci
Really?, I really like the way birdsnest looks to! I find this news pleasing..... :happy:

Next door???????????????????????????, I do not believe this is the case hahahaha

Jessy, for sure you can put some birdsnest and montipora in there with the stock RSM lights!

It totally cracks me up that Australia has the largest reef in the world with some of the most beautiful corals and you guys have such a hard time getting corals. :(

Sounds like a great business venture to me! :)

And if I may ask what Town or City are you in that LFS do not stock good marine stuff and no frags or other hard coral frags ... that is odd ... I find as I have been going around LFS that unless you go to a non large chain one you may indeed run into that problem. I was at a Petsmart two days ago and at 2 Petco's and none had hard stoneys and their choice of other corals was minimal to say the least. Their aquarium selection was just th standard stuff (rectangular and front bowed anything you wanted with or without stands) but nothing for Nano reefs or pico ones.

Even their selection of Marine fish was very poor (Petco as Petsmart did not have any marine section at all).

Book selection at those chain stores was very poor as well and besides stuff by Axelrod (TFH) they did not have much to offer.

I did find one store though in Duluth (ATL) called Atlanta Aquarium that had just about everything we reef keepers can think of. Super choice, great looking small and large to very large tanks. Not much for Nano though except for the Oceanic BioCube and the newer Coralife/Oceanic one (29G) as the newer one has more lighting options than the basic Oceanic one from what I could determine.

Anyway let me know ... I am interested.

Thanks

Albert

albertthiel on NR

Hey albert, I'm in Perth Western Australia!!!

sorry if I wasn't clear, Their Marine selection is top notch-huge range,very healthy.

It is just a good range of small polyp stony's they lack (for now). They also stock a great range of dry goods sell pico to XL sized tanks as well as a pretty impressive library

albertthiel

Good advice indeed .... Need specific light and I think Kat is right, Radions would be better but if you keep them at the top or towards the top they will probably do fine, just keep a close eye on them to see how the do and increase light if needed ... and ... Kat is always right with her recommendations .... She should write a Book! I mean it ... Go for it Kat ...

Albert

Kat is always right with her recommendations .... She should write a Book! I mean it ... Go for it Kat ...

Albert

how to survive your first year of reef keeping. Yes I can write that.

Put some shrimp on the Barbie, I'll be right over.

lol shrimps are in ma tank! we eat prawns you crazy americans

Jessy, for sure you can put some birdsnest and montipora in there with the stock RSM lights!

It totally cracks me up that Australia has the largest reef in the world with some of the most beautiful corals and you guys have such a hard time getting corals. :(

Sounds like a great business venture to me! :)

Laugh it up Mark, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me

haha I wish I'm just a dumb ol' mechanic

Spirofucci

"How to survive your first year of reef keeping, and look good while doing it" Yep, you can write that. :)

Chapter 1: So you want to keep some ocean aye? lols you crazy!!!!!

Chapter 2: Got much money? no that's probably not enough.

Chapter 3:.........

writers block dammit

lol shrimps are in ma tank! we eat prawns you crazy americans

Laugh it up Mark, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me

haha I wish I'm just a dumb ol' mechanic

JESSY RAY! Did you not know that Jason Fox is a car mechanic? He sells corals the size of a US quarter for 100s of dollars! Omg.

Make mine jumbo prawns then.

"How to survive your first year of reef keeping, and look good while doing it" Yep, you can write that. :)

:lol:

JESSY RAY! Did you not know that Jason Fox is a car mechanic? He sells corals the size of a US quarter for 100s of dollars! Omg.

Make mine jumbo prawns then.

:lol:

ahhhhh no I did not, I guess my argument loses a little strength

That bloke is nuts! $700 for a 1/2" chalice??????

Uh huh, you saw his site then? I have to say though, I did not pay anywhere near those prices for my 5 JF corals but boy are they purdy! They are brilliantly colored and make a statement.

Archived