• Last Reply
Full Tank Shot

IMG_1896.jpg

Main Island

IMG_1898.jpg

Little Island

IMG_1899.jpg

-Best regard

That is just amazing! Really clean, very nice and organized!

I agree aesthetically the sand would look nice, just keep it shallow. BB is the best way to keep a tank detritus free. You can always blow off the shallow sand bed twice a week and feed your corals. Wish now I had gone BB.

d'Espresso

I really appreciate everyone help! I will go check out some Fiji sand later this weekend. Should I get crushed coral also?

Is there any good Place to order online and great deals? I will try out some LFS also

Thank you for your nice comments. My current new lighting is a six bulb T5 system by Tek Elite Light. This lighting system had replaced a Maxspect G2 160w. I have been convinced by rehype and podpimp and decided to switched to a T5 system to be able to play with the coloring and also in hopes of enhancing the colors of my corals. Also, I like the fact that I can play with the different bulb combos to achieve my desired effect which i am still learning the concept of a full spectrum or pleasing to the human eyes.

Currently my T6 bulb combination, from front to back, is:

ATi Blue Plus

ATi Coral Plus

ATi Blue Plus

ATI Purple Plus

ATi Coral Plus

ATi Blue Plus

I agree t5 is amazing but I keep on looking at the radion, have you run Fiji pink bulb before, how would you compare those purple plus? Ive been thinking of upgraded to the elite to run 6 bulbs for more blue plus but at the current moment my money says no, so its just a plain 4 bulb for now.

According to grim reefer (reef central), I would put the purple plus as your second or third bulb from the front, i know it doesnt make sense but i switched my bulbs to this, and the color looks much better from the front of the tank.

F2B

ATI Blue+

KZ Fiji purple

ATI AB Special

ATI Blue +

IMO i would stay BB, but if you went with sand i recommend hawaii black from carab sea, it really helps my lps pop.

Spirofucci

Normally bare bottom looks horrible imo, but you've done such a great job on this tank. How come you are going with sand??

Thanks Brad, how's that ADA tanks going?

They are going well. LFS is having 25% of coral this weekend, so hope to have the cube fully stocked :)

d'Espresso
Hey man,

I think you should add just little sand, perhaps at a 1/2inch level from the bottom to up top. This is what I have as my sand, Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand 10 lbs.

If you don't want it to disrupt your tank elements level, suggest that you rinse the sand multiple times with old saltwater/ freshwater.

i probably going to do a blow out water change and let it sit for 5mins without the pump so that all the detritus settle to the bottom surface and I can easy siphon it all out. Then I will use my old water change and rinse out the new sand if I decide to take the sand route. Thanks for the advice!

+1

I'd go with the Fiji pink. It's got a nice grain size that doesn't get blown around that easy and the pink looks nice. IMO, the sand gives it a real natural look.

Yeah buddy I'm probably try to make the tank a more natural look then it is right now. I been working to much and just have 10min in the morning to glance at the tank before I walk out the door to work. So detritus been building up so much that I only get to siphon it out once every other week. So just wanted to try out some sand to see how I like it but definitely will put sand in my next rimless tank.

d'Espresso
How are the islands?

Hello MK, the islands was looking terrible and I accidently knock off one the rock that was supporting the balance on the heavier side which cause it to tip over and kinda ruin the main scape. I try to get it back together again but it didn't look the same so I did redo the scale and added 2 more small island for other corals to grow on. I need to get a new fts soon so you could see what I am talking about.

That is just amazing! Really clean, very nice and organized!

You're to kind sir! Thanks!

Definitely, definitely add some sand. Definitely, definitely.

+1 for Fiji Pink, too.

Do you have a link to a website that I could see? Thanks For your suggestion!

Ooh, no worries about the sand no rush. Your tank still looks awesome. One of the few bb I like. It's that scape, always awesome to look at.

I know how you feel about work. I'm in the insurance biz so it's always crazy and tiring. I usually do my reefing at night. Feedings, cleaning, testing and so forth.

I'm surprised your getting detritus build up with a bb and two vortichs. But shouldn't be much o a problem since it looks like yor algae problem has been licked.

d'Espresso
I agree aesthetically the sand would look nice, just keep it shallow. BB is the best way to keep a tank detritus free. You can always blow off the shallow sand bed twice a week and feed your corals. Wish now I had gone BB.

I also agree with the both of you. I plan to keep it swallow so I can easy clean up the bottom mess and since I have painted the bottom sandy white I can easily cover all over the tank thin sandbed. I am looking for a medium size sand that doesn't get blown away from the 2 MP10s. I also don't want to make the tank weight any heavier then it is plus the reason I might try out sand is because I really get tired looking at detritus blown all over the tank and settling on rocks, corals, and small fine particles flowing around the tank. It's makes the water look dirty, even it is clean. I want try out to see if I can trap the detritus on the sand or crush corals and just siphon it out since I design the layout and open space for siphon and cleaning the stuff out. I like BB all my tank I had was BB but now just want to try a little bit to see how I like it.

I also agree with the both of you. I plan to keep it swallow so I can easy clean up the bottom mess and since I have painted the bottom sandy white I can easily cover all over the tank thin sandbed. I am looking for a medium size sand that doesn't get blown away from the 2 MP10s.

I also don't want to make the tank weight any heavier then it is plus the reason I might try out sand is because I really get tired looking at detritus blown all over the tank and settling on rocks, corals, and small fine particles flowing around the tank. It's makes the water look dirty, even it is clean.

I want try out to see if I can trap the detritus on the sand or crush corals and just siphon it out since I design the layout and open space for siphon and cleaning the stuff out. I like BB all my tank I had was BB but now just want to try a little bit to see how I like it.

Normally bare bottom looks horrible imo, but you've done such a great job on this tank. How come you are going with sand??

What I meant to said Above you a post.

I agree t5 is amazing but I keep on looking at the radion, have you run Fiji pink bulb before, how would you compare those purple plus? Ive been thinking of upgraded to the elite to run 6 bulbs for more blue plus but at the current moment my money says no, so its just a plain 4 bulb for now.

According to grim reefer (reef central), I would put the purple plus as your second or third bulb from the front, i know it doesnt make sense but i switched my bulbs to this, and the color looks much better from the front of the tank.

F2B

ATI Blue+

KZ Fiji purple

ATI AB Special

ATI Blue +

IMO i would stay BB, but if you went with sand i recommend hawaii black from carab sea, it really helps my lps pop.

Hi, thanks for your judgement. I will probably try out your layout since I am new at T5's I also build a retro LED light to supplement the moonlight with 9 RB Cree LEDs. I been working to try to get it to look extra clean because I also miss the color pop from the corals

Every time I go diving in the ocean, I never see a glass bottom. Usually there's sand and reef.. (insert sarcasm emoticon)

Tank is looking great.

d'Espresso
They are going well. LFS is having 25% of coral this weekend, so hope to have the cube fully stocked :)

That is awesome! I think alot of LFS is having a 25%off live stock sell. I gotta go check out our new fish shop this weekend.

d'Espresso
Black sand would be nice as well. Never went that route but it would make your corals pop more.

I heard rumors about black sand that it have something in it? I am not sure because it was long time ago when I had the solana tank and wanted to have it in there. I still would like to keep this tank looking natural and maybe my new project pico tank for Lps only. I'll probably try the black sand. Thank to Mike C. From LedTric company. He sent out a full spectrum par38 bulb the other day and I received in the mail and now deciding if I should start a new setup for a pico and also add sand in the tank or just wait and get 3 more par38 and put it over the 40b. :)

Deleted User 4

OOOHHH crapp, that sounds like a fantastic idea. ahaha. Well, I've always been subscribed to this tank thread, so will I do so with your incoming pico. ahahah.

Deleted User 4
Your right! That's what I remember reading last time about black sand.

Oh wow, never knew that. Ok, it's better to just try on your pico then... ;)

d'Espresso
OOOHHH crapp, that sounds like a fantastic idea. ahaha. Well, I've always been subscribed to this tank thread, so will I do so with your incoming pico. ahahah.

Thanks for your support and subscribe to this thread. Hope to achieve my goals of reek keeping and hopefully everything will come out good.

On the next pico, I will make it simple as possible. :)

d'Espresso

Thanks for your support and subscribe to this thread. Hope to achieve my goals of reek keeping and hopefully everything will come out good.

On the next pico, I will make it simple as possible. :)

d'Espresso
Every time I go diving in the ocean, I never see a glass bottom. Usually there's sand and reef.. (insert sarcasm emoticon)

Tank is looking great.

haha you're right about that! But my bottom is white BB so it still look kinda natural i guess. Maybe i probably add some thin sand bed and hope the Mp10s doesn't get blown away.

Archived