Cultivated Reef

*My broken 40B Mix Reef

d'Espresso

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was doing my monthly water change and cleaning maintenance around 12-2am in morning because for several weeks i was neglecting the tank and corals wasn't looking to happy except for all my zoas and palys were growing like wild fires. When i was getting ready to put back my frag racks back where i wanted to be the magnets that holds the frag rack was so strong that the mag slip out of my fingers and snap into the glass where the rack was at. i heard a big crack and looked over and saw the crack. My heart just sank and i was not so happy. I got worried that it will not hold up overtime and will cause a major leak if i left the tank like that. I also had work the next day at 10am. i was frustrated, tired, and exhausted.

Lucky i have not return the extra 40g breeder tank that i bought last month from the dollar per gallon Sales they have at Petco.

Peace Out!

David

Lots of work for sure and a setback especially when it happens that late at night or should I say early in the morning, but glad you got it all under control and back up and running.

Great job (and I would personally not worry too much about the color of the trim : - )

It's good to see you didn't let a tragedy force you to take a break from the hobby. I'm sure this tank will be as epic as the last. Are you keeping the same scape and everything or are you doing something different? I might have to make an order from the guy you got those frags from. I just got a 30 gallon innovative marine tank that I am planning to stock with high end stuff like that.

Thanks! This tank is for temporary use only. I am trying to plan if I can get a rimless straphire 40b tank. So far it is just a thought stage. I probably try to keep the same scape as possible but who knows, I might change it as this tank mature more.

Yes the guy from frag junky is awesome! Tell him Dave sent you from Nano reef! He gonna hook u up with some nice frags that he grows out. I am planning to get some more from him.

Send me a link to your thread page so I can check out that new tank of yours. I see it all over my lfs and yes it have catch my attentions. It look very nice!

Oh man! So glad you got all of it fixed! What a hassel it must have been!!!!

I can't wait to see what you plan to do next!!!

I hope no one have to go through what I went through. It's a pita but so lucky I got an extra tank I bought from the dollar per gallon special at Petco. I almost return it because I was planning to upgrade but I guess I new that tank now for the replacement.

Great to see ... and a quick turnaround !

Good for you and happy you were able to get everything going again

Power to You !

Thanks Albert, I just got lucky but it was very tiring. I slept or 2 days.

Sorry for all that stress you went through!!!!! Sounds like you did a great job getting things back in order though. We all learn from mistakes. This definitely will remind me to be very careful when handling those super strong magnets around the glass!!!!!! I can see how easily it could happen and I'm sure you are NOT the first!!!!!

Your rimless starphire 40 breeder tank plan sounds awesome :happydance:

Wow! Sad story. 'Hope the recovery goes well.

Good luck man!

Yes very sad story but now it's getting better! I got rid most of the sandbed that was covering holding up the bad waste. I did save some sand to keep the bacteria and water quality from having a spike!

I am glad that it all worked out in the end. I hope everything goes well with the tank move.

Thanks for your nice comments! I hope it will be better later on. I would like to get a tank like your rimless also!

Lots of work for sure and a setback especially when it happens that late at night or should I say early in the morning, but glad you got it all under control and back up and running.

Great job (and I would personally not worry too much about the color of the trim : - )

Yes, after I was done I had to call in from work and just slept for 2 days to regain some energy. Lol

Yes I imagine it was but power to you for getting it done !
I didn't want to lose any of the corals and tank mates. I put so much invest through time and didn't want to risk it.

Now I really need to invest into a good nano size R/O Di unit. Anyone recommend for one? I live in a condo apt. So I can't do much with anything until I move in a new house.

Sorry for all that stress you went through!!!!! Sounds like you did a great job getting things back in order though. We all learn from mistakes. This definitely will remind me to be very careful when handling those super strong magnets around the glass!!!!!! I can see how easily it could happen and I'm sure you are NOT the first!!!!!

Your rimless starphire 40 breeder tank plan sounds awesome :happydance:

I definitely need to set up a true frag tank again. Lol so I won't run into this problem again.

Thanks! This tank is for temporary use only. I am trying to plan if I can get a rimless straphire 40b tank. So far it is just a thought stage. I probably try to keep the same scape as possible but who knows, I might change it as this tank mature more.

I definitely need to set up a true frag tank again. Lol so I won't run into this problem again.

Decisions, decisions..... To rimless or not to rimless. I knows you've eyed the rimless, like Vin's.

Then you can make your current into a frag tank. Just Trying to help :lol:

Decisions, decisions..... To rimless or not to rimless. I knows you've eyed the rimless, like Vin's.

Then you can make your current into a frag tank. Just Trying to help :lol:

Haha yes I ask my wife if I can have a new rimless tank. She said let me break the 40b and you can have a new one. I said oh no!

I like the rimless but first I need to invest in some new updated equipments and a rodi unit. Getting tired of driving to the fish store because I always walk out with something I am not suppose to get!

This is like Walmart, you come to by one thing, you come out with 10 things. Lol

Just checked the thread and I love it! Great work, Another one of my favs,

And that sucks about the magnet incident... :(

I'm in Orlando too, D! The shops here are great so far.

Good job now let's see some pics of the new tank :naughtydance:

I think you got off easy though....... I had a 180 spring a leak on me omgomgomg

Anyhow glad to see you took care of it and didn't give up

Good job now let's see some pics of the new tank :naughtydance:

I think you got off easy though....... I had a 180 spring a leak on me omgomgomg

Anyhow glad to see you took care of it and didn't give up

Oh nk that's not good! Hope you have taken care that issue really fast! I love this hobbies so I probably stay in for awhile. It's getting tougher each year.

I will post a new thread soon! Stay tune everyone!

hypersnyper694788

Man what a quick save. I have the same frag rack and those magnets are rediculously strong, I have had them do the same thing i have just been luck to not have a crack. Look forward to some new photos.

Wow David, disaster averted. Glad you got everything transfered with no losses. Get pics up when everything is looking good again. I loved your previous scape, all you guys with 40B's make me so jealous.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW that sucks about the crack! I'm glad you have things under control. Looking forward to a positive update!

Yes indeed ... that was a "super" save indeed ...

• 1 year later...

I honestly can't even explain how awesome I think everything about this tank is, that scape, the stand and just everything you put into this build is on a whole other level. Sorry to hear about accident with the tank, glad you were able to overcome it. Quick question, would you happen to recall your bulb combo in the August 2012 picture?

• 9 months later...

Archived