Pod Your Reef

*My broken 40B Mix Reef

d'Espresso

d'Espresso

Thanks, 40g is a very good extra space size for coral placement and management. i wish i did this long time ago. I would make it my first tank for any of you guys/gals out there!

Right now i have a SC skimmer that i got from ebay for a great deal and VERY GREAT SKIMMER! I recommend. If you read back where i set up the skimmer there is the link i post up in that section. Thanks again for the nice comment!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
d'Espresso

Here is an update from the iphone 4s, please excuse for the bad picture quality.

FTS for June 2012

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Where free willy at?

IMG_0201.jpg

Do you see him?

IMG_0202.jpg

My Acans garden on the rocks

IMG_0199.jpg

So far everything been happy except for the 3 scolymias, i have been trying to recover them. All it been doing is puff up and then not puff when the lights are on. i haven't seen it tentacles sticking out yet maybe it is not hungry? My plate has recover and starting to show off it neon orange color again.

Now for the debate on redoing a smaller version of my overflow and should i keep the black back ground or should i scrape it off to show off my little free Willy (domino clownfish). He so black its hard to take a picture of him but if you look in person he is just beautiful pitch black.

Best Regard

Thanks a lot for the pictures and explanation! It helps a lot :) do you just drill a 1/8" hole in the street elbow, put the union fitting in and silicone or epoxy into place? Also, do you just have a piece of airline tubing with a check valve coming off of it? Where does the end of the tubing go?

Not sure if you saw this or not :)

I'm still drooling over your tank everytime I see it!

Sand looks good, I would leave the background on this one, it sets a nice backdrop for your scape and hides distracting hardware and piping in the back. Don't go out and buy acro crabs just yet, just keep a close eye on the worms activities.

d'Espresso

I guess no one see my new ORA domino clownfish (free willy) he is all black from ORA. The clown have the same parents as ORA midnights, but they are distinguished by their minimal white markings. The markings you see can occur as single dots on the cheek or elsewhere on the body.

To me it look like a teardrop and I wanted to call it by that name but he look so funny like a whale. So that's why I call him free willy! My little big whale and it like a pig. The black on him is so nice and pitch dark. He have a little orange around his little mouth and love to get in between the blue streak cardinals I have in there. He is my newest edition and welcoming him into his new home.

d'Espresso
Yeah, I missed it. Where? Pic?

It's hard to see him swimming because of my black back ground but here he is in the picture.

Can you spot free willy?

IMG_0201.jpg

Do you see him?

IMG_0202.jpg

Don't think I haven't forgot but I get back with you soon in pm.

Just love this tank!!!! That black backround looks so nice, I'd be hard pressed to change it.

I dunno but so tempted to change. Because I can't see the fish at all. :lol:

Sand looks good, I would leave the background on this one, it sets a nice backdrop for your scape and hides distracting hardware and piping in the back. Don't go out and buy acro crabs just yet, just keep a close eye on the worms activities.

Glad I put some sand in there too! I don't have any wires or equipment in the back at all so it's cool, trust, it won't be any distraction at all. I just can't see my little black whale. Haha.

Loving it.
thanks man!

Stunning rock work! I'm glad you added some sand.

Thanks you! I am glad I decided to add some sand too! Didn't know it made a different that much.

Looking great and so does that new clown. Even though nanotopia said dont Buy acro crabs yet...lol, I know of a few places where you can find stores just giving them away, no charge. Joking aside your tank is coming along great. Also I have started a new batch of water for a water change. So I plan on doing a whole tank clean. Rid my tank wall of all that coralline algae and for the first time in years get a fts.

FREE ! Well if there free why not, just make sure you get the right species, the hairy, black claw, grey/brown ones eat coral tissue. The smooth, often colourful ones with white claws are generally symbiotic. I know LiveAquaria was selling them, I got all mine as hitch hikers.

albertthiel

Great post and very nice view of all the components .. wow that is going to be super ....

Albert

Thank you all!

Hi,

Thank you for your inputs but unfortunately i have planned to modify one of the drawers for separating the compartment from the sump in a safety dry location for parts of the electrical units and basic controllers. I have finished building the supports foundation of the cabinet stand. I am not a carpenter and i don't have the tools to build my own stand. i have found the cabinet and got an idea from my last stand from home depot or lowes.

The last stand i used was from the kitchen section but this time i found the perfect size and height that match the exact size of the 40 gallon breeder. The cabinet i have found to match my setup was in the bath room section called VANITY. I found it to be very sturdy and modern. Just like my whole living room and dining room.

The tank will be in the dining room because we all can sit down while we eat and enjoy the aquarium. I did not want to put in the living room because we spend alot of time in the kitchen more and if it was in the living room, i will be staring at the aquarium more then i be watching TV.

I also picked up a few woods and pre-cut the 2x4's while i was there at home depot. I managed to reinforced the stand and prewired all the equipments into where everything should be layout.

Here is the finalizing touch:

The top drawers will be the basic functions of the Maxspect G2 160w, 2 Mp10wES, and basic RKL to control Temp, Skimmer, and Nano Led Lights for Fuge.

IMG_1078.jpg

Top View of the layout

IMG_1077.jpg

Main Controllers that i have hide from my daughter so that she cannot flip the switch on/off. I am thinking about adding a lock on the doors.

IMG_1075.jpg

My favorite dosing from Bubble Magus

IMG_1079.jpg

Also using a proflex model 1 from my last setup as a sump

IMG_1073.jpg

Here is the full view of the stand.

IMG_1071.jpg

I have tried to tuck away most of the wires i could to give it a clean look and away from my views. There is still a lot more to do but i will try to get it done before the end of this month. I am also waiting on my new skimmer to get here soon, i have research alot of website and forums about this particular skimmer that would actually fit in the proflex sump. The sump is very small so it is very hard to find a good skimmer and small to fit inside the sump. I have purchased one off ebay and hope it can do the job like everyone else have had with it. The Skimmer is called SC-65 and will decided if i will be using a berlin method or fuge method again.

FREE ! Well if there free why not, just make sure you get the right species, the hairy, black claw, grey/brown ones eat coral tissue. The smooth, often colourful ones with white claws are generally symbiotic. I know LiveAquaria was selling them, I got all mine as hitch hikers.

Heck ya free. Just don't tell too many people. Lol I have been also gathering a few different species for possible breeding in future setups. I hear ya about those invasive acro crabs. Ive seen them take out a few mini colonies at a store. That store learned their lesson fast. I've had one living in my biggest tabling acro for almost a year now and it's hilarious watch him defend it when fish swim by. It has a love hate relationship with my tongs cause it's a shiny invader and it's the food truck. The crab will venture out enough to grab a mysis off the tongs and then back into the acro.

d'Espresso

I just drill it until I can snugly fit the value inside the PVC pipe, because sometime it get clog up and you have to take off the value and clean or blow out the water trap inside. I usually clean it every water change to make sure it is working properly. The extra tube is just hanging out the side. It is use for when you want to give it a kick start siphon by holding down one finger on the endcap hole and siphon the value with you mouth(sucking air) til you see it start the siphon manually. Hope this help!

ahah good name, Free Willy!!!!ahah

Yeah, look like a little whale in my reef tank. So free willy it is for his name!

looking so amazing david.

Thank jr, but not amazing as your tank! I can't get my acros to grow right.

Indeed, the sand did make a difference. Pics came out really well also.

Just wanna slap myself silky for not using sand. Lol it did made a lot of different and I don't see much particles floating in the water much.

Looking great and so does that new clown. Even though nanotopia said dont Buy acro crabs yet...lol, I know of a few places where you can find stores just giving them away, no charge. Joking aside your tank is coming along great. Also I have started a new batch of water for a water change. So I plan on doing a whole tank clean. Rid my tank wall of all that coralline algae and for the first time in years get a fts.

Definitely let me know where I can get some acro crabs! Anything to help keep the SPS happy and healthy.

Yes I can't wait to see your FTS of your tank soon!

d'Espresso

Wow I didn't know that.

Archived