Top Shelf Aquatics

*My broken 40B Mix Reef

d'Espresso

Thanks buddy, i went to most of the LFS here and they don't carry GE6500k bulbs. Where did you order yours?

You can order them from reefgeek

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
hmm maybe i was looking too far back

i mean the SC skimmer

i guess any super budget skimmer is going to have it's problems.

It took me about two weeks to get rid of the microbubble problem. It's just a longer break-in period.

so is the sc-65 worth it? or should i get something better when i build a new tank?

Totally worth it. All skimmers perform the same function, and ones that are significantly more expensive will perform only marginally better (if the skimmer is rated for around the same size tank, bigger skimmers will work better, etc, but then again, you can do the SC-150 or 180 :) ).

It took me about two weeks to get rid of the microbubble problem. It's just a longer break-in period.

Totally worth it. All skimmers perform the same function, and ones that are significantly more expensive will perform only marginally better (if the skimmer is rated for around the same size tank, bigger skimmers will work better, etc, but then again, you can do the SC-150 or 180 :) ).

Thanks for answering the right question!

Jedi is correct! I had to get the sc-65 because of my tight fit inside the proflex sump model 1, if I had a larger sump I would get the sc-150 for larger skimming. It's very quite also if anyone want to know about the noise level.

this is seriously one of my favourite tanks here on nano reef

Oh wow. Thanks you, it's an honor to have you here.

Check your inbox I have replied back, hope it helps out!

Hey guys/ gals

Some close up of some zoas frags I have and slowly disappearing. I guess they don't like the new light and start to shrink. What causes them to shrink?

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Best regard!

I'll never understand zoas. I've had some stay closed for weeks then randomly open again.

Nice looking zoa's btw.

jedimasterben
I'll never understand zoas. I've had some stay closed for weeks then randomly open again.

Nice looking zoa's btw.

This. I have some that I can stick under a rock or an inch from the light and still be open, and others that don't look happy no matter where I put them.

My LFS once soaked a container in freshwater for two days to kill off some zoas growing on it, said after the two days they looked at it and all of the zoas were open!! They were like, yeah, these apparently aren't going to take the hint, and put them right back into the frag tank where they were lol. To this day they're still there and multiplying like mad.

Those zoas look fine to me!

Mine still look like crap. I did do a FW dip a few weeks ago and they did show some improvement. Maybe I'll leave them a little longer, but not two days. :)

Deleted User 4

All of them look fine except for the 2nd picture. No need to worry though, it's probably the lights if you had just recently switched it.

Nice looking zoa's btw.

Me too! I will never understand them one day they happy next day they PO and later proof they're gone! Should I use lugol's solution dip them and FW?

This. I have some that I can stick under a rock or an inch from the light and still be open, and others that don't look happy no matter where I put them.

My LFS once soaked a container in freshwater for two days to kill off some zoas growing on it, said after the two days they looked at it and all of the zoas were open!! They were like, yeah, these apparently aren't going to take the hint, and put them right back into the frag tank where they were lol. To this day they're still there and multiplying like mad.

I will try this out on one of the frags that is infected badly.

Mine still look like crap. I did do a FW dip a few weeks ago and they did show some improvement. Maybe I'll leave them a little longer, but not two days. :)

Good to know that they look a little better! I will dip them tonight and see how they do the next morning.

jedimasterben
Me too! I will never understand them one day they happy next day they PO and later proof they're gone! Should I use lugol's solution dip them and FW?

I will try this out on one of the frags that is infected badly.

Good to know that they look a little better! I will dip them tonight and see how they do the next morning.

Please don't leave them in overnight, although it may not kill them, it definitely won't be that great for them.

Great post and very nice view of all the components .. wow that is going to be super ....

Albert

Thanks you for the nice comment Mr. Thiel. Welcome to Nano reef! I hope to see your tank setup soon, I definitely tag along when you get yours up! Have you plan out what you wanted yet?

Deleted User 4
Thanks you for the nice comment Mr. Thiel. Welcome to Nano reef! I hope to see your tank setup soon, I definitely tag along when you get yours up! Have you plan out what you wanted yet?

He's thinking about PiCO.... :D

Please don't leave them in overnight, although it may not kill them, it definitely won't be that great for them.
I won't leave them overnight. They all looking PO right now.

Tonight I did the lugols solution dip for 5-10min each zoas and also dip the scoly again every other day. It kinda looking much better each day as I start to see it color up little by little. I can't wait to see its tentacles stick out so I can feed it them. This is going to be a long progress on recusing them.

i have zoas spread like wildfire then die the next day. fickle little critters.

I feel your pain. Especially the expensive one and colorful one. I have problem with palys that tend to shrink and disappear. Just couldn't figure it out.

He's thinking about PiCO.... :D

That's a good choice!

How did i not see this.Wicked tank and even better scape.

Welcome on board, haven't seen you on nano reef for ages. How's everything going for you? Thanks for the great comment you left. I am most honor by your words.

Best regard

jedimasterben
I won't leave them overnight. They all looking PO right now.

Tonight I did the lugols solution dip for 5-10min each zoas and also dip the scoly again every other day. It kinda looking much better each day as I start to see it color up little by little. I can't wait to see its tentacles stick out so I can feed it them. This is going to be a long progress on recusing them.

Just wanted to make sure! :D

The dips you did should work well, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

David, a noob question for you. Does a lugol's dip "cure" different things that a FW dip? Would it be best to do both say a week or two apart? How long do you really dip them in FW?

Thanks,

-mark

jedimasterben
David, a noob question for you. Does a lugol's dip "cure" different things that a FW dip? Would it be best to do both say a week or two apart? How long do you really dip them in FW?

Thanks,

-mark

They are for different things, iodine dips usually are for infections and helps heal torn tissue and such, whereas freshwater dips will kill some bugs, parasites, and bacteria that iodine doesn't kill (at least not quickly).

What are you trying to cure with your dip, Mark?

They are for different things, iodine dips usually are for infections and helps heal torn tissue and such, whereas freshwater dips will kill some bugs, parasites, and bacteria that iodine doesn't kill (at least not quickly).

What are you trying to cure with your dip, Mark?

Good point out Jedi, noob question: is it okay or bad to put the fish(clown) in fresh water to kill off some parasites or ick beside using the copper in a separate tank?

Thanks,

-mark

Follow Jedi, he point out a lot of good info. I use lugols because I am trying to rescue the scolymias I have. I usually dip mine for a good 10min and rinse with FW and put them back in the tank. The next day they get puffy and start to see it coloring up each day. The zoas I would do FW dip for like 5-10mins zoas tend to be more hardy so it's up to you but I am not sure because I don't have much zoas. Maybe some good nano friend on here can chime in.

I came for the sleekly organized stand, I stayed for the livestock. Great tank!

Thanks twan, welcome aboard! Since my equipment is almost done organizing. I can focus more on taking picture of each corals progress.

Thanks David and Ben, sorry for the Hi Jack :)

I have no proof, I think my zoas are being bothered by pods. All other corals look great with params just fine.

Archived