Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

*My broken 40B Mix Reef

d'Espresso

Deleted User 4
haha you're right about that! But my bottom is white BB so it still look kinda natural i guess. Maybe i probably add some thin sand bed and hope the Mp10s doesn't get blown away.

+1

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
d'Espresso
Pico? What Pico?
Pico for a LPS tank. Maybe! i got the free Full spectrum par 38 from Mike C. from a contest they have over at R2R. i was pretty shocked that they announced the winner. Now i probably think i might start up a pico tank for inverts and LPS tank only. Or i can buy 2-3 more of the spectrum par 38 from LedTric and hook it up to the 40B. :happy:

spill it.
i spill water! :lol:

+1

wow you been online for awhile now. all day right? :lol:

The carab sea Hawaii black is non magnetic and larger grain than most sand, check it out in my thread for done pictures. I've always heard bad things but after using it I would never do white sand again .

Deleted User 4
Pico for a LPS tank. Maybe! i got the free Full spectrum par 38 from Mike C. from a contest they have over at R2R. i was pretty shocked that they announced the winner. Now i probably think i might start up a pico tank for inverts and LPS tank only. Or i can buy 2-3 more of the spectrum par 38 from LedTric and hook it up to the 40B. :happy:

i spill water! :lol:

wow you been online for awhile now. all day right? :lol:

Yeah, all day...I have no life outside my house now ahaha.

The carab sea Hawaii black is non magnetic and larger grain than most sand, check it out in my thread for done pictures. I've always heard bad things but after using it I would never do white sand again .

+1 Expesso, you should give it a try for your upcoming lps pico!!!Let it pop those colors out!!

Nice, there's always room anther tank. Hence why I'm setting up my "new" mangrove tank.

What's one more tank right? Never hurts :lol:

d'Espresso
Keep it bb!
How about i'll try to keep BB on the 40B and Sand on the Pico tank?

awesome! Can you list out where i can get Carab sea Hawaii Black sand?

Yeah, all day...I have no life outside my house now ahaha.

+1 Expesso, you should give it a try for your upcoming lps pico!!!Let it pop those colors out!!

I might probably try that route! :)

Nice, there's always room anther tank. Hence why I'm setting up my "new" mangrove tank.

What's one more tank right? Never hurts :lol:

Yeah, i was wondering how your new Mangrove tank is going? I am trying to find the perfect small tank to fit underneath the stand inside the cabinet and redo the sump. Or just try to get a tank from picoaquarium :)

Yeah, i was wondering how your new Mangrove tank is going? I am trying to find the perfect small tank to fit underneath the stand inside the cabinet and redo the sump. Or just try to get a tank from picoaquarium :)

Sounds good. A pico would be fun. You could make a dedicated nem shrimp tank. Like the shrimp I have. I know you want one! Ha ha

Deleted User 4

I think I would of went the black sand route if I didn't already have my sand from my old tank...Oh well, it might work on my future sps tank, maybe a yr or so.

Black sand, black sand, black sand!

Then let me know how you like it since I'm considering swapping out the sand in my 55g for black sand (although not looking forward to doing so .....)

I would be curious as to where they get the "Hawaii black sand" comes from. Pretty sure they don't harvest it from Hawaii.

MasterMind9

I suggest a few cm. of white sand will give you a better look than BB, I alway want to do BB but turn back to SSB every time.Black sand make the tank look too dark for small tank in my experience and IMO unless you have a lot of LPS at the bottom,black sand will make it jump off the page. Black sand look fantastic with the tank with 60'' up.

If you have enough time to clean the sand or suck it off and place a new fresh one,shallow white sand bed definely a good option on sand bed. ;)

d'Espresso
Sounds good. A pico would be fun. You could make a dedicated nem shrimp tank. Like the shrimp I have. I know you want one! Ha ha
I have the tank setup but i will not make a thread until i have everything how i want it. Mostly transfer so stuff from the 40b over. The rest will be history!

I do would love a Nem shrimp tank but kinda want a paired Yasha haze goby with a pistol shrimp. :P

I think I would of went the black sand route if I didn't already have my sand from my old tank...Oh well, it might work on my future sps tank, maybe a yr or so.

Then let me know how you like it since I'm considering swapping out the sand in my 55g for black sand (although not looking forward to doing so .....)

Thanks guys, It is a very hard choice but i know for sure i am going with a SSB.

Don't do it if you're not looking forward to doing so. lol

I would be curious as to where they get the "Hawaii black sand" comes from. Pretty sure they don't harvest it from Hawaii.

+1 Where does it comes from? i am curious myself since you mention it.

I suggest a few cm. of white sand will give you a better look than BB, I alway want to do BB but turn back to SSB every time.Black sand make the tank look too dark for small tank in my experience and IMO unless you have a lot of LPS at the bottom,black sand will make it jump off the page. Black sand look fantastic with the tank with 60'' up.

If you have enough time to clean the sand or suck it off and place a new fresh one,shallow white sand bed definely a good option on sand bed. ;)

I've always been a fan of a shallow sand bed, I tried bare bottom but now I couldn't get used to the look. A shallow sand bed is easy to clean but still gives the "reef bottom" look in tank. I will give it a try with SSB about few cm. of white sand.

I think i might scrape the black back of tank off to give it a cleaner look. Maybe :)

New Light but ugly color.. No worries, New light and now Newer color.

Perfectly matched the whole system, if i ever decide to go with a bigger tank, i can always peel off the white very simple to the Plasti-dip spray. i definitely recommended on using it on anything. i even use it on my grille on my car and wheels too! Well, i tape the parts i need and being to prep up the fixture and taken it apart. Here is a before and after picture.

Prep work and taking it apart

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

All done and looks amazing sitting on top

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

Finally GHA is over and i have been doing 10% W/C bio-weekly, everything been going smooth again. I got the itch to get a fish again but still think i am not that quite ready. When i discovery something wrong with the fish before i immediately have take all the fish out and put them in a QT for recovery but sadly weeks after weeks the fish just all past alway and i have been fish-less for about over a month now. Will i be able to put in a testing fish to see if it's safe to add more in or do i still need to wait about 2 more months?

When i was doing water change i accident knock over my rock scape and one of the piece have came off. So i decided to make a few changes. Also if anyone notice i picked up a few scoly but they were all in bad shape and i wanted to rescue them. So i talked to the guy that sold the corals and got a pretty good deal. Ocean direct is very helpful and very knowledgeable and can work around pricing if they see the health is bad and if the customer want to help regain the corals life. The two scoly i have notice a little plump and pale color starting to show up and looks like a good sign. I am not to sure of it's color but i hoping it will be the Bleeding apple scoly and Red pink scoly. The last one is about 3" but it is not looking to good. I am not quite sure how i should set up the bottom flow but as for the moment i have it on wave mode. Here is the picture of the scape i rescape after knocking it over and 3 scoly that need help. On another note, the Orange plate is looking awesome again. it went from pale orange to bright orange and the tentacles starting to show out at night time.

Full Tank Shot

IMG_1896.jpg

Main Island

IMG_1898.jpg

Little Island

IMG_1899.jpg

-Best regard

I love your BBT Drool :bowdown:

d'Espresso
I love your BBT Drool :bowdown:
Thankyou Kind sir!

Please excuse the Actinic lights making it to blue. But enjoy!

Here's some of my Acan garden collections that i have collected some 2 years ago and recently

IMG_1951.jpg

Here is my reconstruction of my small island scape for softies and rics

IMG_1956.jpg

That's how dirty it gets on the bottom and i have to siphon it out every week to keep it squeeky clean! But that is all about to change with a 1/2 of SSB

jedimasterben

It's called Hawaii black because Hawaii is one of the only known locations where there is black sand. And it looks sexy. :)

I've got ~80lbs of Tahitian Moon Sand cycling in a spare tank at the moment.

IMG_20120521_220833.jpg

d'Espresso
It's called Hawaii black because Hawaii is one of the only known locations where there is black sand. And it looks sexy. :)

I've got ~80lbs of Tahitian Moon Sand cycling in a spare tank at the moment.

Oh wow, that is pure black sand! What tank will this goes into?

Just love pics of this tank! What type of sand did you decide on?
Thank you so kind! Since i can't decide on which to use. i plan to use both sand on different tank :)

The only recommendation for black sand is loose the black background, too much black IMO. I used rustoleom sea blue for my back ground. I found this helped for more pop

Yasha would be awesome. I would like pair. I already have a pistol. I had a hi fin goby for a few years but unfortunately passed a while back. So I need to get my pistol a new roomie.

I'm doing the same thing with my second tank (mangrove). I want it mostly finished before I post about it.

d'Espresso
The only recommendation for black sand is loose the black background, too much black IMO. I used rustoleom sea blue for my back ground. I found this helped for more pop

Hey everyone after a long debate on what type of sand to use, I just could not take the plunge to add black sand in the tank and Jstn have a point, that it would really make the tank look to dark and I just wanted the tank to look more natural for the corals and fish. I went ahead and did a water change last night, I use the old water to clean out the 20lb. Of live sand, and wow I am glad I rinse out the sand before adding in to the tank. The water was so cloudy and a lot of builds up. I rinse the sand about 3-4 times and use a zip lock and put in the sand in the bag and carefully put in the tank bottom and carefully sake it out of the back so it won't get cloudy. The trick work really well and I am now happy I decided to add in the caribbean sea live sand. It is a sugar size grain sand and looks very white and natural. I only add about 10lb in the tank and spread them out to cover most of the surface. I will add the sand slowly each week so that I can avoid a mini cycle.

p-29681-39438-live-sand.jpg

I also added a testing fish to see if there are any more ick. So far do good the testing fish been doing really good. I will probably start adding some more slowly later on. Time to make a fish list of the exoctic fish I would like to have. Any recommendation? Since I have a small sandbed now I probably might consider a bottom dwell fish. Maybe a school of blue streak cardinal once more and something nice for the main fish in the tank. Suggestion and advices is welcome, please be my guest to give some ideas. Thanks!

Yasha would be awesome. I would like pair. I already have a pistol. I had a hi fin goby for a few years but unfortunately passed a while back. So I need to get my pistol a new roomie.

I'm doing the same thing with my second tank (mangrove). I want it mostly finished before I post about it.

You should get a fathead and a yasha too! I would live a blotched Anthia fish but they are very pricy and they can get up to about 7" size. I would love to have that but probably go with a fathead instead. Can wait to see your mangrove tank.

Archived