Innovative Marine Aquariums

*My broken 40B Mix Reef

d'Espresso

It's friday fun day! Finally get to pick up some fish for my tank. Today i went to World Wide Corals and by far i have seen the best LFS in orlando area. Good service, cherry corals, wysiwyg, and loyalty. This place is a top-notch, most recommended.

I also have manage to pick up some fish i been wanting to get for awhile now. Brought them home and they all form a group and is swimming together into caves i have made for them.

i have picked up Apogon leptacanthus (Blue Streak Cardinal) x5

4670087966_bbd0bb4373.jpg

wonder what kind of food they like to eat? anyone knows? Do anyone have experience with this guys. i am so fascinated about these schooling fish and make the island look more natural with them in the tank.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they are awesome fish! It's so cool how they always stay in group schooling the area surround them. I wanted to get some redspot cardinals but i heard they get spook easy and they like to carpet surf alot. their survival is not all that great. so i took a chance and go with the blue eyed cardinls/ long spine cardinals/ blue streak cardinals. :D

Lol I read your question wrong and named them instead of giving you the food they eat. That's what's happens when you are typing on too many reef threads. They aren't picky eaters, from rods food, flakes, spectrum, PE mysis and Cyclopeeze.

Lol I read your question wrong and named them instead of giving you the food they eat. That's what's happens when you are typing on too many reef threads. They aren't picky eaters, from rods food, flakes, spectrum, PE mysis and Cyclopeeze.

That is to funny! Thank you for the info buddy, this week I went to ocean direct and the sea in the city if they will be caring those red spot cardinal you told me and they say sometime they can get them. Also I stopped by ocean blue in winter park and omg his whole setup was like rimless tanks and all ati fixtures. He got a nice display too that I fell in love with.

What other site do you hangout also beside nr?

all i have been feeding my cardinals is new life spectrum. they seem to love it.
That is what I am feeding at the moment. They seem to like feeding at night time after lights out. ]

That is to funny! Thank you for the info buddy, this week I went to ocean direct and the sea in the city if they will be caring those red spot cardinal you told me and they say sometime they can get them. Also I stopped by ocean blue in winter park and omg his whole setup was like rimless tanks and all ati fixtures. He got a nice display too that I fell in love with.

What other site do you hangout also beside nr?

Ya Jess the manager at sea in the city said she won't order the anymore because they are hard to ship. George the owner of oceans direct hasn't seen them on his list yet.

Oceans direct is opening a new store two spots over in the same plaza which will have twice the amount of stuff. That's why they are low in stock. But they get primo WWC type corals. But for a quarter of the price. Why buy the frag when u can get the colony in for 60-70% off. Lol he also has awesome inverts,like sexies are 12 bucks and Pom Pom crabs for 12. Then once in a while he's gets crazy mix of inverts you've never seen. Hence why this is one of my favorites stores. Yasha gobies go for $20 bucks at his store! Also that scoly you saw on my thread was only $40 bucks at oceans direct.

Sea in the city has some great acans lately. I even broke down and bought a rainbow frag. Also they have great btas. Always consistent with prices on those regardless of color. Just bought a orange bta from them and some people thought it was the WWC inferno it's so bright. But for half the price of WWC.

Then the oldest store is oceans blue and yes everything of his is rimless. Vin the owner is a true aquascaper (no rock walls for him). I'm getting a skimmer from him tomorrow at his other store called aquaria studio over in Waterford lakes. And you want to talk about rimless! He's got like 5-6 rimless displays there. Here is his nano arch, he has at that store.... Might give you more inspiration. Aquaria studio arch

Stop the vid at 1:18 to see the full tank shot.

Lastly before I forget, a friend of mine who's just as much addicted as I am is opening a brand new store in mid may in winter park. Top Shelf Aquatics.... They are having it catered by 4rivers BBQ (the best BBQ in Orlando). He wants to give WWC a run for their money though have not just massive frags tank but coastal tanks with sea horses and open water tanks with looks downs and seagrasses and everything else under the sea ha ha. Also without the WWC prices but same quality. So when he opens his new store he's giving me the order list and I'll order the red spots directly! So I'll hit you up when I do.

I have accounts on a bunch of sites from Orlando reefs to big names , like rc but mostly hang out here and reef2reef.

Dude I am in love with your tank build! Im actually going tomorrow to home depot to pick up that stand and replicate a lot of what you have done except a 50 breeder and spray paint the stand black, just to match the rest of my furnishings in the house. Thanks for this post it has inspired me to make another tank lol.

Lastly before I forget, a friend of mine who's just as much addicted as I am is opening a brand new store in mid may in winter park. Top Shelf Aquatics.... They are having it catered by 4rivers BBQ (the best BBQ in Orlando). He wants to give WWC a run for their money though have not just massive frags tank but coastal tanks with sea horses and open water tanks with looks downs and seagrasses and everything else under the sea ha ha. Also without the WWC prices but same quality. So when he opens his new store he's giving me the order list and I'll order the red spots directly! So I'll hit you up when I do.

I live in Orlando too. How do you find out about these things?!! lol. I just discovered Aquaria Studio's existence even though it's a little further from me. I havent been there yet, but I will soon.

It's friday fun day! Finally get to pick up some fish for my tank. Today i went to World Wide Corals and by far i have seen the best LFS in orlando area. Good service, cherry corals, wysiwyg, and loyalty. This place is a top-notch, most recommended.

I also have manage to pick up some fish i been wanting to get for awhile now. Brought them home and they all form a group and is swimming together into caves i have made for them.

i have picked up Apogon leptacanthus (Blue Streak Cardinal) x5

4670087966_bbd0bb4373.jpg

wonder what kind of food they like to eat? anyone knows? Do anyone have experience with this guys. i am so fascinated about these schooling fish and make the island look more natural with them in the tank.

Nice fish D. I have the same lot..mine accept mysis and brine shrimp. Only 1 of the 5 eats pellets.

I live in Orlando too. How do you find out about these things?!! lol. I just discovered Aquaria Studio's existence even though it's a little further from me. I havent been there yet, but I will soon.

:lol:

I have a reef addiction. I honestly openly admit it. Any store your curious about just ask. I've probably been to it. I know alot of the owners and since I'm the young guy, I keep them on their toes with what's hot or not. Lol as one owner put it.

Always on the hunt for something new and different for my next tank. For instance I've found a mangrove farm! Ha ha with full size mangroves. I just sent my order and waiting for final price. No more seed pods for me.

If you have any questions or need to find best prices just ask. ;)

That's what I was planning to get some mangrove for the tank underneathe the stand. I gonna have to hit you up about those redspot cardinal then. Right now I am in California in LA. gonna stop by reef geek to ask about their ATI and TEK elite fixtures. Hope to being the goodies home soon.

That's funny About keeping those owner on their toes. Right now I am on the hunt for a orange tail damsel for my main fish. Everyone I called say they haven't seen them around much so I will keep trying until then.

:lol:

I have a reef addiction. I honestly openly admit it. Any store your curious about just ask. I've probably been to it. I know alot of the owners and since I'm the young guy, I keep them on their toes with what's hot or not. Lol as one owner put it.

Always on the hunt for something new and different for my next tank. For instance I've found a mangrove farm! Ha ha with full size mangroves. I just sent my order and waiting for final price. No more seed pods for me.

I you have any questions or need to find best prices just ask. ;)

you've become my new best friend lol

Me too!

Where your link to the tank thread! Did you get a chance to setup the 29g tank?

That's what I was planning to get some mangrove for the tank underneathe the stand. I gonna have to hit you up about those redspot cardinal then. Right now I am in California in LA. gonna stop by reef geek to ask about their ATI and TEK elite fixtures. Hope to being the goodies home soon.

That's funny About keeping those owner on their toes. Right now I am on the hunt for a orange tail damsel for my main fish. Everyone I called say they haven't seen them around much so I will keep trying until then.

Do you have a pic of which orange tail damsel you have in mind? If I see one I'll let you know.

You gotta post pics when you get the lights. Should be awesome.

Sweet. :D

Good lord! The tank looks incredible Dave!

First off, the 'scape is incredible! Second, you have once again impressed me with your hardware organization. The tank looks great, and when it grows out, those SPS will be crazy!

I hope all is going well outside the aquarium world!

d'Espresso

Hi to All!

Good news and bad news,

Good news: Order the new 36" TEK Elite 6x39w/bulbs combo with the help from reHype and crazy4Acros. Thankyou for pointing in the right direction. This will replace my old Maxspect G2 160w Leds system. I had also went ahead and order the ATIs 4x 39W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent and 2x 39W Coral Plus T5 HO Fluorescent. I also got a chance to fly over to California over the weekend for a family reunion and managed to checkout reefgeek.com in Torrence, CA near L.A. it was a amazing trip for only a short period of time but i had fun while i was there.

Bad news: Came back from 3 days trip and all the fish have ick on them. Manage to try to catch all of them but notices 3 of the blue streak died, 1 tailspot blenny that i had for a year died, and 1 Red Elongated Dottyback died too. i am to bump out about it but i try to rescue the others and put them in the little tank. So far they are doing okay. i do not know why what had happen after my trip. Just over 3 days, and all this happen to the tank. Today i notice a full growth of GHA and diatom all over the tank and i am not so sure what i can do to help reduce the problem. There is currently no fish in the tank right now and i think there is still ick in there but if i don't do something about the GHA it will take over all the corals and rock.

For how long will i need to wait to be able to add the fish back? What can i do to ambush the GHA and diatom or just let it alone? Any comment or advice is welcome.

Sorry to hear that :( I think the tank has to lie fallow for a few weeks, not sure exactly how long.

NanoTopia

I would leave the tank fish-less for 30 days minimum. For the algae I would pick up a Phosban Reactor and run Rowaphos 24/7. You could also try adding some MB7 from Brightwells to help establish and seed some more bacteria. You will not be feeding now with no fish so you should be able to starve the algae. Reduce the photo period. Stick with regular water changes, don't go crazy and change large volumes of water, your coral will be shocked. Algae and ick will go away in time.

Not sure what happened while you were away but it looks like your tanks water was not fully stable yet. After getting the new fish you increased feeding, this slowly raised the nutrient level and caused algae to develop. I love your tank and the scape, I would just give it some time for things to even out a little. You need to develop a better biological factory in there, that takes time. I'm following this thread and look forward to success with this wonderful tank.

I would leave the tank fish-less for 30 days minimum. For the algae I would pick up a Phosban Reactor and run Rowaphos 24/7. You could also try adding some MB7 from Brightwells to help establish and seed some more bacteria. You will not be feeding now with no fish so you should be able to starve the algae. Reduce the photo period. Stick with regular water changes, don't go crazy and change large volumes of water, your coral will be shocked. Algae and ick will go away in time.

Not sure what happened while you were away but it looks like your tanks water was not fully stable yet. After getting the new fish you increased feeding, this slowly raised the nutrient level and caused algae to develop. I love your tank and the scape, I would just give it some time for things to even out a little. You need to develop a better biological factory in there, that takes time. I'm following this thread and look forward to success with this wonderful tank.

+10

Archived