Pod Your Reef

*My broken 40B Mix Reef

d'Espresso

d'Espresso
If the sandbed is deep enough I'd say get a goby/shrimp combo ! :)

I don't have a deep sandbed at all so I am not sure about having a pistol shrimp in there maybe for the pico tank.

Maybe a pair of randall prawn-goby shrimp??

Sweet stuff. :)

Wait til I show you the other stuff. Lol thanks!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why live sand? I used it in my tank and it made such a mess I thought I was going to have to remove it and start over. You are not supposed to rinse it so everything in the bag goes in. Live sand is a waste of money IMO, likely very little live anything. Just get dry sand, it will be live in a month. If you add live sand in your tank you will crash your tank. It has to be clean when it goes in.

Edit: so I back read again and I see it is done already. How is your tank doing? I see you did rinse it, good thing. Did you get any fines at all in the tank? I would blow off your corals a couple of times just to be safe. Picture?

d'Espresso
Why live sand? I used it in my tank and it made such a mess I thought I was going to have to remove it and start over. You are not supposed to rinse it so everything in the bag goes in. Live sand is a waste of money IMO, likely very little live anything. Just get dry sand, it will be live in a month. If you add live sand in your tank you will crash your tank. It has to be clean when it goes in.

Edit: so I back read again and I see it is done already. How is your tank doing? I see you did rinse it, good thing. Did you get any fines at all in the tank? I would blow off your corals a couple of times just to be safe. Picture?

It doing really great! I cover the surface with live sand very carefully by the help from everyone and especially from Mastermind9, I have rinse the residue off in a separate bucket with my old tank water from the water change I did the other night. I rinse it off about 4-5 times and pour out the nasty cloudy water and put in some new tank water. Then scoop some live sand and put it in a ziplock bag and carefully place it in the DT and slowly with all the pump off I empty the bag of sand out to the bottom surface, I did it couple times until I covered the whole area with sand.

Reason i use live sand because from experience from Mastermind9 he advise to If you have fish in the tank slowly add would be better,to reduce cloudy and slowly set the new cycle. From experiment he said, live sand have an advantage over the dead sand, no algea on the sand surface at all even low water current past through the sand. He also said that with dead sand, he have to stir almost every day to flip algea down to the bottom and that was a hassle.

So far so good. It look more realistic then just BB I would only do bb if I was doing heavy SPS only but since I have a mixed reef. I want a natural look with swallow sand bed.

Also I am starting to see flat worms (I think) it look like a flat clear slug like. Not sure but I found it while I was dipping one of the corals with lugol's solutions. I just found 3 so far and killed. If I squeeze them on the front glass will they divide more or should I go get something to treat it? Or what type of fish can take them all out? I can't believe bad things always happen to the next thing. Guess I learn as I go. But I did notice them in Refugium at first when I first got some cheatos from the lfs to replace my old dead cheato but I didn't think of nothing from it just thought it was part of the pods environment. Any comments and advices on how to deal with the flat worm is welcome. Thanks!

Best regard,

David

Also I am starting to see flat worms (I think) it look like a flat clear slug like. Not sure but I found it while I was dipping one of the corals with lugol's solutions. I just found 3 so far and killed. If I squeeze them on the front glass will they divide more or should I go get something to treat it? Or what type of fish can take them all out? I can't believe bad things always happen to the next thing. Guess I learn as I go. But I did notice them in Refugium at first when I first got some cheatos from the lfs to replace my old dead cheato but I didn't think of nothing from it just thought it was part of the pods environment. Any comments and advices on how to deal with the flat worm is welcome. Thanks!

Best regard,

David

For natural flatworm control you could buy a wrasse or if you want to try chemicals you could go with flatworm exit. Id recommend the natural method...melanarus or six line wrasse.

d'Espresso
For natural flatworm control you could buy a wrasse or if you want to try chemicals you could go with flatworm exit. Id recommend the natural method...melanarus or six line wrasse.
Wrasse time!

Thanks for some great advice? What type of wrasse should I get and how small should I start off with?

Deleted User 4
Thanks for some great advice? What type of wrasse should I get and how small should I start off with?

If I were you, haha I'd get a mystery wrasse. Not only is it pretty, but it also eats flat worms just like any other reef wrasses.

Or if you want something not too pricy, a 4-line wrasse is fine :D.

d'Espresso

You read my mind! :)

I saw a 4 line wrasse but it was sold yesterday when I got to the new grand opening lfs in the orlando area. It looks pretty cool then the regular 6 line wrasse. So tomorrow I will gonna order one!

On another note maybe I post up some new FTS and my new mystery fish I got.

Give you all a guess: it have one white spot and it's about 2" 1/2 fat. :lol:

d'Espresso
So you're getting a 4 line wrasse?? or 6line?

Striated Wrasse Found another option of wrasse. This one looks pretty unique too, has that white cheek ahaha.

Here are some better photos of it maturing...Matured Striated Wrasse

pygmy wrasse?

Probably go with a 4 line wrasse for temporary because there is some more other fish i would like to have in the future. :)

Pygmy wrasse is awesome but the price tag gonna hurt. lol

Deleted User 4
Probably go with a 4 line wrasse for temporary because there is some more other fish i would like to have in the future. :)

Pygmy wrasse is awesome but the price tag gonna hurt. lol

Just the way I like it. :D

What coral did you find them on? If it was SPS you may have AEFW. In such a case I am told flatworm exit will not work. The only product is ZeoVit Flatworm Stop, and not guaranteed it will work, it is new on the market and the results are not heard yet from users. Wrasse only eat them if they are free floating in the water after blowing them off the coral I am told. Dipping will kill the adults but not eggs, so if possible dip weekly. Hopefully they are not AEFW.

AEFW Info

First off I just want to say that I just read all 16 pages of this thread and am in love with your tank! Definitely gonna be a big inspiration to my next one I will be setting up shortly! A couple questions I do have though about your DIY overflow...

I looked at the link you posted to the overflow design, rendering, etc. but am confused on one part. What is the 1/8" to 1/8" barbed union used for? How and where do you put it in? Are you using it in your overflow setup? Here is a pic that shows what I'm referring to:

PAME05.jpg

Also, why did you decide to upgrade to 1" pipe for the overflow?

Thanks! :)

d'Espresso
What coral did you find them on? If it was SPS you may have AEFW. In such a case I am told flatworm exit will not work. The only product is ZeoVit Flatworm Stop, and not guaranteed it will work, it is new on the market and the results are not heard yet from users. Wrasse only eat them if they are free floating in the water after blowing them off the coral I am told. Dipping will kill the adults but not eggs, so if possible dip weekly. Hopefully they are not AEFW.

AEFW Info

Here is a great picture of what it really look like: This is not my picture but an example of what i found in the Chaeto but did not notice until later i started seeing on 1 of my scoly and digi monti and it has been eating up the SPS that i was trying to save. So far i killed 3 already. i haven't seen it anymore plus i just added live sand in the tank.

clear_flatworm.jpg

first discovered in the sump where i have the refugium with chaeto.

d'Espresso
First off I just want to say that I just read all 16 pages of this thread and am in love with your tank! Definitely gonna be a big inspiration to my next one I will be setting up shortly! A couple questions I do have though about your DIY overflow...

I looked at the link you posted to the overflow design, rendering, etc. but am confused on one part. What is the 1/8" to 1/8" barbed union used for? How and where do you put it in? Are you using it in your overflow setup? Here is a pic that shows what I'm referring to:

Also, why did you decide to upgrade to 1" pipe for the overflow?

Thanks! :)

Thank you for your time on reading my thread build. i am honored. welcome along.

Yes i still use the overflow, i was using the 1" pipe for the overflow because i wanted a faster drain but right now i have went back on using the original one that you see in the overflow model diagram. That one is smaller and works awesome! The 1" was just for looks. i have rebuild and using the smaller version for cleanness.

The 1/8" to 1/8" barbed union used for the check value when you insert into the whole. That's how it can restart the siphon but you have to give it a kick off start first for it to work properly.

Here are the example:

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Hope this help.

P.S. That one was a testing model. Built a better clean version of it and paint it to match the white wall on the back.

Best regard!

Luckliy if that is what they are. They are not aefw. Aefw have a brownish tint to them. I had a bout with aefw from dec 11' till march 12'. And coral Rx didn't do as much as I expected. Revive did a much better job of killing aefw. But couldn't find anything to kill the eggs except for a good old led flashlight and razor blade. Every few nights I cut away the eggs. All infected sps have recovered. I did notice that my sps with acro crabs were not infected by aefw. Is this a coincidence?. I'm starting to think that acro crabs are doing more acro protection than once thought. Jury is still out on this theory. Hence why I have started collecting acro crabs. I have a bin of 6 crabs waiting for acro colonies to inhabit.

Also great to meet you. First nano reefer I've met in person and cool guy. I noticed you didn't post any pics of the new fish. I wanna see pics even though I saw you buy them. No worries I won't tell anyone what surprises this thread has in stock. Let the public sweat! Lol

Thank you for your time on reading my thread build. i am honored. welcome along.

Yes i still use the overflow, i was using the 1" pipe for the overflow because i wanted a faster drain but right now i have went back on using the original one that you see in the overflow model diagram. That one is smaller and works awesome! The 1" was just for looks. i have rebuild and using the smaller version for cleanness.

The 1/8" to 1/8" barbed union used for the check value when you insert into the whole. That's how it can restart the siphon but you have to give it a kick off start first for it to work properly.

Here are the example:

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Hope this help.

P.S. That one was a testing model. Built a better clean version of it and paint it to match the white wall on the back.

Best regard!

Thanks a lot for the pictures and explanation! It helps a lot :) do you just drill a 1/8" hole in the street elbow, put the union fitting in and silicone or epoxy into place? Also, do you just have a piece of airline tubing with a check valve coming off of it? Where does the end of the tubing go?

WTF? I didn't even know this tank existed. :mad:

This tank is GORGEOUS. I love how clean and simple it is! And as always, you deliver on the scape. Amazing tank!

How do you like it with the sand? I actually love it without the sand!

Acro crabs eat AEFW's ... or do they just push them away? Interesting however, if they do eat them that would help keep AEFW's away. I have some acro crabs (good kind) in a couple of colonies, I would imagine it might be hard to get them to colonize small frags as they prefer deep hiding spots. I wonder if they eat the eggs, if they did this would really be something.

I agree with NW, it does not look like AEFW, but that doesn't mean they would not eat coral. I would act swiftly before they multiply out of control just to be safe.

Acro crabs eat AEFW's ... or do they just push them away? Interesting however, if they do eat them that would help keep AEFW's away. I have some acro crabs (good kind) in a couple of colonies, I would imagine it might be hard to get them to colonize small frags as they prefer deep hiding spots. I wonder if they eat the eggs, if they did this would really be something.

I agree with NW, it does not look like AEFW, but that doesn't mean they would not eat coral. I would act swiftly before they multiply out of control just to be safe.

Agreed better to get rid of these than chance it. Don't get me wrong about the acro crabs. I just observed that the colonies with acro crabs had no infection from the aefw. So I'm trying it out to give all my acros one little crab just in case. Just like with your zeovit experiment but I'm just trying to see how these little reef cleaners do. So far so good.

d'Espresso
WTF? I didn't even know this tank existed. :mad:

This tank is GORGEOUS. I love how clean and simple it is! And as always, you deliver on the scape. Amazing tank!

How do you like it with the sand? I actually love it without the sand!

Because you always forget about me. hahaha. It's bout daym time you stop by, I couldn't upgrade to a 60g Solana with you man but maybe in the future. Thanks for the nice comment btw!

Sand is cool, Just i am always busy at work and couldn't clean the BB every other day and the yucky stuff that floating around in the water i just can't stand it any longer plus this sand make it more natural.

Now deciding if i should scape off the black background off to give it a cleaner look.

Now you want me to go try out some acro crabs. i need to go get some mini colonies first! lol i haven't seen any flat worm yet for this week. but the eating has been stop!

Agreed better to get rid of these than chance it. Don't get me wrong about the acro crabs. I just observed that the colonies with acro crabs had no infection from the aefw. So I'm trying it out to give all my acros one little crab just in case. Just like with your zeovit experiment but I'm just trying to see how these little reef cleaners do. So far so good.

I believe you! lol

albertthiel

Looks nice and you seem to be on the right track from what I can see in the pics. Good luck setting it up. You say you selected a small size ... guess 40 gallons is not really all that small but it's a manageable size as you indicate. Lots of extra filtration in the cabinet with a good sump and adequate circulation in the tank should allow this to develop in a real nice if not super looking aquarium. What skimmer are you adding ?

Albert

My New 40g Breeder Build

:welcome: Guys/ Gals,

Not to long ago i had to take down my last recent tank so now it is time to get back into my favorite hobby. I'm going to setup new tank in a couple days and will be mostly SPS mixed reef some zoas and acans. Very similar to the old one.

I choose something small because it will be easy to keep clean and also going for a minimalistic look i hope with an open space to promote good growth and flow.

JUNE 2012

IMG_0216.jpg

Midway MAY 2012

IMG_1896.jpg

MAY 2012

IMG_1538.jpg

APRIL 2012

IMG_1185.jpg

Established: APRIL 2012

Here are the first photos of the Build:

Tank: 40g Breeder 36' x 18' x 16'

IMG_1069.jpg

The stand look solid but i would like to get it a stronger foundation so i will work on reinforcement the stand cabinet better.

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

I already had the layout in my head. i got most of the supplies and looks like it is ready to get started soon. I will be working on the stand for the next few days and plan as i go.

Archived