inTank Media Baskets

Missed the tanks birthday by about a week but its now 4 years old.

5GtvZ.jpg

gneiySI.jpg

Tank looks really great. It is great to see a tank that has more than a few years under its belt looking so good.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to upgrade my stand and plumbing eventually. Im thinking new stand in a dark walnut, maybe black accents with a black quartz or laminate top (Something that is hard and doesn't absorb anything or leave stains). New hard plumbing with easy to turn ball valves. My two little fishes valve is still original, while still turnable, it is not easy. I'd also like to add a checkvalve to the system. When I turn off the pump I drain a lot of water due to my 2 low return lines. There isn't a barb checkvalve thats easy to clean so if Im going rigid I thought Id get the Georg Fisher Wye version so its easy to clean. Last but not least would be a DC return pump. Something to control the flow in my tank without relying on the valves positioning. This should also make feeding corals and fish easier if I can enable a feed mode and have it slow way down without turning completely off.

Some layouts I was trying. I started by doing all the corners with 45s but this doubled the amount of connectors and took up too much room. Here are 2 thats I've kind of been liking.

bGwdDXp.png

vEwDADV.png

Same setup just fancier lookin'

iRZyHR5.png

After checking out the BRS Mini reactor that I was going to use for my media I noticed they can only be plumbed from Left to Right so both of these examples need to be flipped. In order to do either setup the drains would have to be on the far right. Sump on the right with and the reactors on the right side of the pump. The media reactors are located over the sump in both examples so when they are unscrewed any tiny bit of water that leaks out drips straight down. I don't lose a lot of water with my current setup. But it bugs me when there is a tiny pool of water I have to clean up when I put the reactor back together.

Let me know what others think and if there is ways to configure this in an even better way. I liked the idea of having the pump be external but I lose a lot of space for top off containers and other space for electronics and shelving for tools and food. Maybe small shelves and racks could be mounted to the doors on the inside?

I have the mini brs reactors and you can plumb them from right to left. There is a mounting bracket on top of reactor, unscrew it and flip the bracket around. super easy to do, surprised the website doesn't say anything about it.

this is what mine looks like

11209707_10106132936777383_7146330223935

• Like 2

I have the mini brs reactors and you can plumb them from right to left. There is a mounting bracket on top of reactor, unscrew it and flip the bracket around. super easy to do, surprised the website doesn't say anything about it.

this is what mine looks like

11209707_10106132936777383_7146330223935

Louy, you're back! It's been a long time. I think people have been looking for updates on your build thread.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Captain Nemo

Hey Scorched,

What do you think about the Quiet One PRO 2200 (594 GPH) - Lifegard pump from BRS? It seems that it would fit the bill exactly if I left it on max power. I'm setting up a tank following your build as close as I can.

Hey Scorched,

What do you think about the Quiet One PRO 2200 (594 GPH) - Lifegard pump from BRS? It seems that it would fit the bill exactly if I left it on max power. I'm setting up a tank following your build as close as I can.

Sounds like it would work fine. I honestly don't personally know that pump and its reliability though. The Eheim I'm using is a large pump but its built to last. Its been going 24/7 for over 4 years now without issue. It has even ran dry for a whole night last fall and continues to run very well.

Hey Scorched,

It will depend on your setup. If you're doing reactors then I would get a DC pump and go overkill. For example, I'm going to be swapping my Sicce Pro 1000GPH out for a 1500GPH DC pump to be able to run 3 reactors and my return. (MAME overflow)

Scorched, your midas is gorgeous. Bright yellow as opposed to timid, dark yellow coloring. Did it yellow up over time as it became more comfortable? Better food?

Missed the tanks birthday by about a week but its now 4 years old.

gneiySI.jpg

Wowza, that's some brilliant colors in this tank. What magic potion are you dosing in the water? :P

This is why I love rimless tanks with a clear back--makes it look so clean and also makes the colors pop.

• Like 1

Scorched, your midas is gorgeous. Bright yellow as opposed to timid, dark yellow coloring. Did it yellow up over time as it became more comfortable? Better food?

In the first few weeks when the Midas is getting adjusted it will be a muted yellow or splotchy coloration. Once its comfortable in a tank and has a nice mixed diet of high quality foods it will be brilliant yellow.

Wowza, that's some brilliant colors in this tank. What magic potion are you dosing in the water? :P

This is why I love rimless tanks with a clear back--makes it look so clean and also makes the colors pop.

Thanks!

My potion is reef chili and acro power. Im running out of the amino acids and will have to order more though. The chili I used to dose a lot back when that picture was taken. Lately I've been slacking on it so the colors have gone more muted. So it does show that good routine coral feedings do make a difference.

What is that blue/yellow fish front and center? (sorry for the noob question)

Not a noob questions. Its not a commonly seen fish.

It is a Venustus Angelfish. Its fairly hard to find fish even from online retailers. The difficulty in that fish is finding a healthy one that accepts frozen or pellet foods.

And I just broke 500,000 views!! Thanks everyone for checking it out and asking questions.

• Like 4

Thanks! Would it be a bad idea to keep that Venustus angelfish and a pair of clowns in a mr aqua 12 that didn't have a sump? Or is that extra water volume a necessity?

What program are you using are you using for your plans? Looks way sexier than anything I can make on sketchup.

Im using Autodesk Maya. I use it work all the time for projects like this. So this stand and plumbing layout was fairly simple just to give me an idea of how the pipes would be positioned and the number of fittings I would need.

newbalance_mens_shoe4_after.jpg

brewers_open2014_logo_after.jpg

After2.jpg

Thanks! Would it be a bad idea to keep that Venustus angelfish and a pair of clowns in a mr aqua 12 that didn't have a sump? Or is that extra water volume a necessity?

The sump is mainly needed for filtration to keep the water as clean as possible. And one of my main goals of this tank was no visible equipment (including powerheads) so for me a sump with a high powered pump was important.

The venustus is a one of the harder angelfish so only do it once you've had some experience under your belt. Also this fish was bought when it was a tiny baby. They can grow to be fairly large as they are probably the biggest of the dwarf angels.

• Like 1

I have had my venusts for almost 3 years and he has barely grown. 2.5" to 3", if even that. I hope one day it does get to 5 inches, because that would be one impressive fish.

• Like 1

I have had my venusts for almost 3 years and he has barely grown. 2.5" to 3", if even that. I hope one day it does get to 5 inches, because that would be one impressive fish.

Thats awesome.

I've had mine for almost 9 months and it hasn't grown much either. I love that tiny angelfish!

I really like could you from the first page you can upload photos again

Reupload the old photos that are located very early in my thread?

At some point they got deleted off the server they were hosted on. I probably have many of them on my computer still but don't know exactly which photos go where. Was there any in particular you were interested in seeing? Most the the newer photos of course show all the the same equipment or setup.

Scorched,

Great tank and Setup

Are you still just using the two BRS reactors, bio pellets & Rox 0.8 with no protein Skimmer.

What are you using as nutrient export other than changing out the Rox and water changes.

How are you dealing with the bacteria from the bio pellets?

Reupload the old photos that are located very early in my thread?

At some point they got deleted off the server they were hosted on. I probably have many of them on my computer still but don't know exactly which photos go where. Was there any in particular you were interested in seeing? Most the the newer photos of course show all the the same equipment or setup.

I want to build a tank similar photos would ask about the plumbing. You can also share the link of plumbing equipment you use you?

I want to build a tank similar photos would ask about the plumbing. You can also share the link of plumbing equipment you use you?

Screens

2X http://www.amazon.com/JT-Manufacturing-Bulkhead-Suction-Screen/dp/B005XACBEK/?tag=5336653614-20

FT1333 1/2 inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft - 8 @ $1.00 = $8.00

FT1334 3/4 inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft - 2 @ $1.79 = $3.58

FT1335 1 inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft - 8 @ $2.29 = $18.32

FT1513 Plastic Hose Clamp 1/2 inch - 4 @ $0.89 = $3.56

FT1514 Plastic Hose Clamp 3/4 inch - 4 @ $0.59 = $2.36

FT1515 Plastic Hose Clamp 1 inch - 2 @ $1.29 = $2.58

FT7533 Insert Elbow Fitting - 1/2 inch MPT x 1/2 inch Insert - 2 @ $1.99 = $3.98

FT7555 Insert Elbow Fitting - 1 inch MPT x 1 inch Insert - 2 @ $3.59 = $7.18

FT7943 Insert Y Fitting - 3/4 inch Insert x 1/2 inch Insert x 1/2 inch Insert - 1 @ $4.89

TL9135 Two Little Fishies Ball Valve w/ Hose Barbs for 3/4 Inch - 1 @ $7.39

2 1" threaded bulkheads

2 1/2" threaded bulkheads

Those are the main plumbing parts for my tank as it stands now, and has been for the last 4 years, but I've been toying with the idea to go all hard plumbing in the near future.

Scorched,

Great tank and Setup

Are you still just using the two BRS reactors, bio pellets & Rox 0.8 with no protein Skimmer.

What are you using as nutrient export other than changing out the Rox and water changes.

How are you dealing with the bacteria from the bio pellets?

Thanks

Yep still the same setup and same maintanence practices.

I don't know. The bacteria from the pellets stays in the tank to do its job of converting Nitrate and Phosphate. The main waste from the pellets breaking down does accumulate in the bottom of the sump. I try to give it a thorough cleaning every few months when I take things apart to soak the pumps and filters though.

• Like 2

Look familiar? Since I got it from you its survived alk spikes, too much light and a tank move. It's a relentless coral

DSC_0066_1.jpg

• Like 1

African Midas Blennies will be more mustard yellow in color. Red Sea and Indian Ocean Midas Blennies display the more yellow color.

• Like 1

Look familiar? Since I got it from you its survived alk spikes, too much light and a tank move. It's a relentless coral

DSC_0066_1.jpg

Thats awesome. Its the longest surviving coral in my tank and has gotten huge for a nano. Easily the size of a softball.

All those off shoots will create a cool looking colony in no time.