Innovative Marine Aquariums

Go for it. I didn't even ask. Oops :P

But we also have action figures on our desks, sometimes have dogs roaming the halls and have 2 kegs in the kitchen. They are pretty lenient.

i Build construction vehicles so no chance of a tank haha.

Im currently setting a little tank up myself using your overflow idea.

Hopefully it works as mine is a cube and not a long tank.

That's a great shot of the tank I love seeing a tank in the room - gives a good perspective. So have you converted any co- workers to reefers yet?

No converters yet. I have 1-2 people that are more interested than most and want to hear about new corals or fish that I get. How the aquarium works and grows coral. One of them is a Hydroponics guy so he can relate to a lot of terms and equipment.

Where do you work at what do you do for a living?

Awesome shot BTW... the tank has really grown and looks amazing after all this time. Great job! I wish I had that type of vibe at my workplace I would feel so relaxed.

I do 3D and Visual Effects for commercials and other short form pieces of video. Basically anything that isn't a movie. It could be music videos, advertisments in convention centers, game intros and graphics for stadiums etc.

You can check out stuff I've done at www.ericschulist.com or www.Pixelfarm.com I think my fish tank even makes a brief appearance on the company websites under the about tab. Watch the banner at the top. The color pallete of the website is overlaid over the top so it washes out a lot of the natural colors.

Anthias in a 12 gallon? Yikes

I guess I can stop feeling guilty about my plants to put one in my 33 long.

Very pretty tank.

The sunburst and blotched are more chillaxed than the others species and don't swim around that much. I'd say the angel and blenny are the ones that push the limit more on this size tank. The length really helps though. Having 3-4 feet of horizontal swimming room is way more beneficial than double the gallons of water in a cube shape, in my opinion anyway.

i Build construction vehicles so no chance of a tank haha.

Im currently setting a little tank up myself using your overflow idea.

Hopefully it works as mine is a cube and not a long tank.

It should still work. Having only 1 overflow is a bit more risky but I've seen 2-3 people copy the style on rimless cube style tanks and be successful.

You have a beautiful tank. Such healthy colorful coral and fish.

Thank you!

• Like 2

The Neptune WAV

w1K21qq.jpg

ivasRJk.jpg

QCmDuhI.jpg

These were won in a local club contest. They were just placed in the tank for comedic purposes. I wouldn't dare turn them on.

• Like 12

That would be game over if you switched those on!!!!

Can i just ask.... Do you switch your pump off or down when you feed?

When I feed the fish, no. When I feed the corals with reef chili or some other powered food, yes. In order to not let the water drop too far I close the valve each time. I feed the corals and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I open the valve back up and turn the power back on.

I'm really thinking about getting a DC pump and checkvalve going just for this reason. The Vectra by Ecotech is really cool as it has a feed mode that is cailbrated for your tank and head pressure. So when its enabled it still pumps water but its so slow it just keeps the pipe full of water and doesnt back siphon. Then when you turn it back on it goes up to your calibrated maximum so it never overflows your tank. Even though its rated for 2,000 gph after its caibrated for a small tank like this it would max out at 600 or so and wouldnt flood the tank.

• Like 1

The pump im looking to get has a feed mode but i think it just stops the pump for 10 mins as appossed to slows the rate. However it can be turned down to 30% power so i could do that.

I'm in the planning stage of setting up my first reef tank. I have been researching builds looking for inspiration, your build has definitely inspired me, wow man what an amazing tank!!. One of my main goals was a super clean look and you definitely nailed it with this tank. I plan to go with a Mr. Aqua 22 long and a bigger sump mainly for the extra cushion the added water volume will give me as a beginner. Do you think running three 1" drains and three returns would be enough flow for the 22 gallon with mixed corals? I was thinking of having two drains in the corners and one return in the middle on one side and one drain in the middle and two returns on the sides on the other. I would rather run multiple smaller 1" drains rather than a couple larger more obtrusive 1.5" drains. Also I had an idea about the return line, doesn't restricting the return with a ball valve put extra stress on the pump and possible shorten its life?. I was thinking of placing a y pipe on my return line, one side going to the tank and the other side going back to the sump with a ball valve. That way I can reduce the return flow going to the tank by diverting some of it back to the sump. Curious to hear your thoughts, I'm sure I will have many more questions. Really looking forward to following your continued progress. Thanks

I'm in the planning stage of setting up my first reef tank. I have been researching builds looking for inspiration, your build has definitely inspired me, wow man what an amazing tank!!. One of my main goals was a super clean look and you definitely nailed it with this tank. I plan to go with a Mr. Aqua 22 long and a bigger sump mainly for the extra cushion the added water volume will give me as a beginner. Do you think running three 1" drains and three returns would be enough flow for the 22 gallon with mixed corals? I was thinking of having two drains in the corners and one return in the middle on one side and one drain in the middle and two returns on the sides on the other. I would rather run multiple smaller 1" drains rather than a couple larger more obtrusive 1.5" drains. Also I had an idea about the return line, doesn't restricting the return with a ball valve put extra stress on the pump and possible shorten its life?. I was thinking of placing a y pipe on my return line, one side going to the tank and the other side going back to the sump with a ball valve. That way I can reduce the return flow going to the tank by diverting some of it back to the sump. Curious to hear your thoughts, I'm sure I will have many more questions. Really looking forward to following your continued progress. Thanks

Glad you like it!!

Ya that would definitely work. The Mr Aqua 22 I think could do the exact same 2 1" drain 2 1/2" return style. Its the same 36" with only a small increase in height and depth. If you were going to a 4 foot 33 gallon long style tank I'd recommend 3 1" drains / 2-3 returns or 2 1.5" drains and 2 returns. If you want to push the flow more than me you are sure welcome to use more drains and returns. It just gets to be a lot of pipes on the sides.

The Y with the waste water going back into the tank should help with pump wear. The Eheim im using is built really well though and I've been pushing mine nonstop for almost 4 years now. I'd honestly recommend looking into sing one as well or DC style pump now though (They weren't that popular when this tank was set up and I want to upgrade to one now). It would allow you to set the maximum without using a valve. Just be a little cautious though as many of these go 1,000+ and this style drain/return only uses about 500-600. The Vectra by Ecotech has a maximum that you calibrate so it never exceeds the amount you setup. And when you set the pump to "feed mode" it has a minimum calibration so it still pumps water but super slow forcing the pipe to be filled with water without back siphoning.

Let me know if you want to bounce more ideas around and if you have any other goals for your tank. I can also steer you towards some other builds that use this style setup.

Still looking good Scorched.

Ive just noticed you have a sump with no baffles.

Is the reason for this... that a normal baffled sump wouldn't cope well with the flow you need.

No reason other than I didn't have the need for one. There isn't a skimmer in the sump so water fluctuation isnt that huge. There is an ATO to keep it steady though. And I need lots of room for back siphoning when the power goes out as this plumbing style causes almost 4 gallons of water to drain from the tank. A baffled sump might have the first chamber higher and the pump section lower. That pump section might not be able to handle 4 additional gallons of water.

I wouldnt mind seeing some other builds that use this method as im trying to achieve it also.

No reason other than I didn't have the need for one. There isn't a skimmer in the sump so water fluctuation isnt that huge. There is an ATO to keep it steady though. And I need lots of room for back siphoning when the power goes out as this plumbing style causes almost 4 gallons of water to drain from the tank. A baffled sump might have the first chamber higher and the pump section lower. That pump section might not be able to handle 4 additional gallons of water.

Surely as long as you run the level in the sump low in all chambers it will be ok. As the water back syphins it will fill up the whole sump not just the return chamber wont it? I hope so as im gonna run a full sump. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank is just beautiful. Just beautiful.

Absolutely love this tank! So well done!

:blush: Thanks everyone.

I don't know if we can talk about other forums on NR but R2R put me at #1 on the featured threads for their email blast tonight.

2LlMFqW.png

It reached over 500 simutanous views a few times that I checked in to reply to questions.

fSl1kKJ.png

• Like 5

Almost 2 years since I've posted a video how about a new one.

Incredible. 4 years is a long time for a reef tank and you have kept yours in impeccable condition.

What do your coworkers think of your tank? Do they appreciate it as much as we do or not as much because they are less familiar with the difficulty of maintaining a reef?

• Like 1

Beautiful! There is a lot of life packed in 12 gallons. Has your blenny never jumped? Mine used to hit the top I had on my tank.

The tank has a screen cover that is on whenever I'm not at my desk. He has jumped one time while I was at work with the lid off. He took the worst route and went back behind the tank and inbetween the stand and the wall. He got caught on the wood trim by the floor and I couldn't fit my hand in there to get him. Luckily I had a long ruler on my desk and was able to fit that in there and pull him along the trim until he cleared the stand. He pretty shaken up by the experience but hes fine. This happened a month or two ago.

Incredible. 4 years is a long time for a reef tank and you have kept yours in impeccable condition.

What do your coworkers think of your tank? Do they appreciate it as much as we do or not as much because they are less familiar with the difficulty of maintaining a reef?

Thanks.

My coworkers like the tank but I don't any of them realize the difficulty in having a reef tank of this size with these types of corals and fish. There is a colleague of mine that used to work at this company that moved to a different place. He has a 75 gallon tank in his office. He hasn't visited our office in a couple years. If he saw the tank I'm sure he'd be the most impressed.

• Like 4