Innovative Marine Aquariums

God dang. I love this tank.

Nov 2015 FTS

kgVEF6w.jpg

The FTS was awesome as it was one of the first times that every fish was out today.

Plus a nice picture of the Sunburst since I haven't taken a picture of him since he was added to the tank awhile ago. He was really shy for about 2 weeks but is now out swimming with all the fish. And the next is the Venustus checking out the Midas' house. I'd like to think that the Midas is going "Oh My God" as he sees this beautiful fish.

Bump to next page. :)

• Like 4

Scorched, your tank is amazing. To some 6 fish in a 12 gallon seems rather risky, is there anything special you're doing to keep up with the bio load other than water changes?

• Like 1

Scorched, your tank is amazing. To some 6 fish in a 12 gallon seems rather risky, is there anything special you're doing to keep up with the bio load other than water changes?

Ya 6 fish is a lot for a nano but its been a fairly slow ramp up without any problems in the algae department. Biopellets are extremely efficient at lowering both nitrates and phosphates. I've actually seen better health in many of the corals by having a higher fish load to increase the nutrient level. I still try to keep up on the water changes though to keep the elements more stable.

Your FTS archive is what made me get into reef tanks. AWESOME tank! I can't believe it is only 12 gallons. The variety of colors between the corals and fish is amazing. One of these days I am going to have to pick up a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon.

Definitely do it. Its an awesome size

Scorched,

How do you manage coral wars? You have so many nice pieces really close to one another. Do you have to break them off and move them, or do you frag them back when they get too close? I read that brains and favia have long aggressive sweepers, but you have some brain corals pretty close to their neighbors. Also, do your BTA's walk over other corals and kill them?

I'm trying to figure out how to stock and arrange my tank, but it's still in relative infancy.

And that FTS looks great with all the fish out.

The corals do battle and its always a struggle to keep them from taking over and killing eachother. Anything thats encrusting needs constant scrapping on the leading edge to stop it from running over the guy next to it. The plating montis are pruned on the rim every few weeks.

The favias and brains do send out sweepers and kill the edge of things next to them. But its rare that they do any major damage.

The BTAs have never moved since I've had them. When theres a split one usually appears on the back middle rock. The splits I try to remove as quickly as possible.

Just curious about your starfish, what species is that always admired it in your pics

Red Fromia Starfish

Looks Awsome but how do you keep the fish in lol I want a helfichi but I heard there crazy jumpers

Thanks!

Go back one page and you'll see someone asked the same question.

Still beautiful tank. I may have missed this its been a while since I read the whole thread.. Do you supplement/feed your corals ? What is your regimen?

Kalk mixed with my RO top off on a timed doser. It is calculated out to be matched to my evap rate.

Acropower and Reef Chili for coral foods. I try to add lugols iodine as well but my dripper has a crack in it and doesnt suck up any more fluid. Once I get a new dropper that will be added again.

Fish are fed a rotation of Frozen brine shrimp, pe mysis, and pe calanus. Then some flake, or pellet if I don't feel like going to the freezer that day.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok some news from the tank.

I picked up 2 sps corals from our local swap on Nov 21st. Red Dragon and Hawkins. Two corals I always want in my tank but never survive. The smooth skins are my kyrptonite. I hadn't tried them for over a year and wanted to give them another shot. I also picked up the gold torch I was after. Not super bright yellow like the Aussie version I had awhile ago but this Indo version has smaller tentacles and more heads that match the scale of the tank.

The day after adding all the corals everything looked great. The third day after the swap my Hawkins RTNed and there was nothing left besides a while skelly and some strings of flesh blowing in the flow. I removed the Hawkins skeleton and now say I'm never trying this coral again. I went into work on Black Friday to feed the fish due to the long 4 day holiday. In the location that the Hawkins was mounted multiple surrounding corals were dead or dying. I started to lose my spongodes, my cyphastrea, and red digi. They are not fully gone but may or not recover. My Phoenix frag from Dr Foster and Smith RTNed and was completely toast. I dipped the bare skeleton in an iodine solution and placed it in a back corner of the tank.

Today I came into work and the red digi is still losing polyps. The spongodes, and cypha seem to have stabilized with about half the coral remaining. The phoenix skeleton I placed in the corner MIGHT recover. I saw the faintest 1/4" patch of fluorescence when the tank was 100% blue. There still might be some surviving flesh but its going to take probably 6 to a year before it looks like anything again.

The fish are all doing great otherwise.

Interestingly enough i had also purchased a hawkins that RTN'd at the same swap. As well as it being close to the Hammer from your tank causing one head to Brown jelly and disintegrate and another to lose about 40% of its flesh.

Every other coral on the frag rack seems to be fine though. Many coming from the same hobbyist so i cant say that we are experiencing the same thing, only that its kind of an interesting coincidence

Wow, this is horrible. How does this happen so quickly - do you suspect something in your tank (bacterial?) is attacking this type of coral? Then the subsequent bloom affects neighbors? Or do you think something got introduced with the new frags?

Did you do a big WC on Friday, or what other actions did you try to take?

Sorry to hear about this happening to one of the most inspirational tanks.

Wow, this is horrible. How does this happen so quickly - do you suspect something in your tank (bacterial?) is attacking this type of coral? Then the subsequent bloom affects neighbors? Or do you think something got introduced with the new frags?

Did you do a big WC on Friday, or what other actions did you try to take?

Sorry to hear about this happening to one of the most inspirational tanks.

I did the water change on Nov 21 (The day of the swap) The water was exchanged and all filters cleaned. Then the corals were acclimated and added. Everything was fine for the first few days and looked to be in the clear. Nothing new waterchange or chemical wise has been done since then.

I try not to do big changes to fix things. I just grit my teeth and take the losses. I don't want to increase the chances of screwing more things up by doing large water changes or adjusting dosing etc. If I lose 3-4 corals it sucks, but so far its just those on the left of the right rock. Everything else is still growing and colorful so I won't be changing anything else.

:( well that sucks. The bacterial infection that may have developed passed on to surrounding corals?

It might have been bacterial. Thats why I did the iodine dip on the Phoenix frag to try to recover any tissue that might have survived. And some MIGHT have so to save a $100 frag from complete annihilation is definitely worth it even if I have to start over with a tiny speck of surviving tissue.

Interestingly enough i had also purchased a hawkins that RTN'd at the same swap. As well as it being close to the Hammer from your tank causing one head to Brown jelly and disintegrate and another to lose about 40% of its flesh.

Every other coral on the frag rack seems to be fine though. Many coming from the same hobbyist so i cant say that we are experiencing the same thing, only that its kind of an interesting coincidence

I'll PM you.

The hammer can be really powerful as well. Be careful placing it next to too many things. Definitely sounds like it got infected by something though, and that would support the theory that my coral death infected some neighboring corals as well. I had no LPS nearby that got brown jelly though.

• 3 weeks later...

I want a tank at work!

Go for it. I didn't even ask. Oops :P

But we also have action figures on our desks, sometimes have dogs roaming the halls and have 2 kegs in the kitchen. They are pretty lenient.

• Like 2

Where do you work at what do you do for a living?

Awesome shot BTW... the tank has really grown and looks amazing after all this time. Great job! I wish I had that type of vibe at my workplace I would feel so relaxed.