inTank Media Baskets

Flameback is off to its new home. The Venustus however is not showing up tomorrow. Kevin thought the fish wasn't looking its best and was going to delay shipping for a few days to make sure it went back to its normal self.

venustus are great fish. they just seem far more interested in their human keepers than other angels.

i love this tank btw, been following for years but just never left a comment haha

• Like 1

venustus are great fish. they just seem far more interested in their human keepers than other angels.

i love this tank btw, been following for years but just never left a comment haha

Thanks dude.

Ya I felt the same way when I watched the angel in the display tank. It seemed more interested and curious. My Midas blenny does it as well and it is why I love him.

Once they're all at home in the tank, you'll have to post a video clip of how they get along.

BTW, what kind of lid do you use? I never saw one in your photos. I have the same size tank, and it really makes my fish suicidal, so now I'm paranoid to leave it open whenever I'm not around.

The Venustsus is a sweet looking fish. Is is already trained into pellets/frozen (not sure if it readily accepts pellets since it said more to be more of a sponge eater)

Do keep us posted on the acclimation, and training. You are the first guy I know who is going to get this beauty. We could always learn :)

Once they're all at home in the tank, you'll have to post a video clip of how they get along.

BTW, what kind of lid do you use? I never saw one in your photos. I have the same size tank, and it really makes my fish suicidal, so now I'm paranoid to leave it open whenever I'm not around.

3HY0k.jpg?1

Its on whenever I'm away from the desk, even during lunch breaks. I had at least 2 jumpers before I started using the screen. Since then I've only had one suicide in the last 2.5+ years. And it was probably my fault for not having it on completely straight. Or forgetting to put it back on.

A video update is definitely needed. I haven't posted a good youtube video of the tank in over year and lots of things have changed.

The Venustsus is a sweet looking fish. Is is already trained into pellets/frozen (not sure if it readily accepts pellets since it said more to be more of a sponge eater)

Do keep us posted on the acclimation, and training. You are the first guy I know who is going to get this beauty. We could always learn :)

Luckily LiveAquarias Divers Den does a ton of the work up front which is great. Getting it used to aquarium life, brighter lights and being less shy. He said the fish is currently eating frozen Mysis and Brine. I have both of those as well as cyclopeze and pellet/flake. Well see if I can get him to eat the dry stuff.

iammrhappy123

The only actual plumbing I would change would be the returns somehow. I love the height that they are at inside the tank. It causes nice water movement and surface rippling. Too low and you lose the rippling effect, too high and it could cause splashes. But since they are 1.5"-2" below the water line the water really drops if I lose power. If I cut power manually to do cleaning I close the valve so that the water doesnt back siphon. So if a check valve was installed with unions it could be cleaned regularly and it would stop the water from draining so low. Installing a tiny pipe or drilling a hole at the corners of the overflow elbows may also increase the water draining speed allowing the pump to run at 100% but I never tried it out since it was running quiet efficiently already and didn't want to mess with it.

Hi! I've been lurking your thread for about 6 months lol. I want to do exactly what you did with ur set up to a dot lol.

2 questions:

1. What would you do differently with your drilling locations and size?

2. Also, you mentioned the idea of adding a check valve. Can you explain a bit more about where you would add a check valve,with unions, in your plumbing system? Also can you explain some more about how this would benefit you?

Thanks!

Hi! I've been lurking your thread for about 6 months lol. I want to do exactly what you did with ur set up to a dot lol.

2 questions:

1. What would you do differently with your drilling locations and size?

2. Also, you mentioned the idea of adding a check valve. Can you explain a bit more about where you would add a check valve,with unions, in your plumbing system? Also can you explain some more about how this would benefit you?

Thanks!

Thanks for lurking

I honestly wouldnt change much in the drilling or plumbing. If you put the outputs maybe 1/2" higher it would help with back siphoning as I lose quite a bit of water when the main pump is turned off. This is also the reason for the check valve. Its not a perfect solution as they can fail. But I'm running without one at all so working most of the time would be beneficial. I'd get the Wye Checkvalve I believe, as it allows you to take the valve out and clean it and then put it back in.

Sometimes I think about redoing my plumbing in all rigid tubing, and if I did this would be the setup. Eheim powerful pump, or a nice DC version. Union above the pump so you can easily remove the pump for cleaning. Check valve above the union to stop back siphon. And then last A Cepex Ballvalve. This will allow you to control the total amount of water going into the display as thats very important with this setup. It controls the amount of flow and stops the tank from overflowing as there is no true Overflow Box. The valve at the top is high quality allowing for easy opening and closing as well as letting you close the valve completely to access its own unions. You can then disassemble everything below the valve for cleaning and put it back together without draining a large amount of display water. The drains dont need valves as the drains will always flow at the max amount they can handle. You only need to adjust how much water is being pushed back up.

Right now I only have flexible tubing, barb fittings and a little fishes valve. Its main benefit is that everything can be taken apart by pulling on the tubes or heating them up if they are on super tight. I've had to move my aquarium so this was good to have. If you used hard tubing there is almost no way to take the aquarium apart from the stand as the hard tubing with be going through it. You could have 4 Unions on the outside of the stand that would allow you to lift the tank straight up when all the unions are loosened. But I would hate the visual look of all bulky stuff on the outside. You could maybe do a hybrid of hard and rigid as there are adapter fittings. Right at the Wye that splits the water to both sides you could switch to flexible tubing and this would allow for complete disassembly if it would ever be necessary.

Another thing I've thought about but never pulled the trigger on is a SCWD. Switching Current Wave Director (I think thats the name) that is in place of the Wye that causes the water to pulse back and forth between each return. The only negative is that they have bad reviews for clogging or failing to alternate after awhile and they are hard to clean. The smaller one is impossible as it doesn't have an access hole on the top.

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

I've been using a SCWD for years & really like it. A few observations if you ever decide to go that route...

-Don't buy the larger 1" redesigned model that you can take apart, bad reviews that they fail a lot. I have a 3/4" regular sealed one that I bought used 5 years ago that's still going strong. Don't know how long the other person had it, but I've been using it for about 3 years. I also bought a brand new one as a backup just in case because of the mixed reviews. It's still in the box & going on my new tank & my current one will be the backup.

-They need to be cleaned every so often. I found that soaking in straight vinegar for about an hour when I do water changes/tank maintenance is pretty optimal & keeps it going strong. I think i let it go initially until it stopped switching for about a year, then soaked it & it was fine, so now i just do it every 6 months & never had another issue.

-You'll lose some considerable flow from your pump. I think the consensus was something like 40%. I just go oversized on the pump & that takes care of the issue. Going controllable DC on the new tank & did a flow test & it looked pretty good, switches about every 7 seconds.

-I did the drill out mod, which enlarges the input & 2 outputs and helps with more flow. Can't remember the drill bit size to enlarge, but a google search would give you the info from RC. Pretty simple for the extra flow. Modded both the old one & the new a couple years ago.

-It's a dead silent (other than your return pump) option to random flow without extra powerheads/wavemakers in the display. I'm like you, I hate all the clutter.

I was apprehensive too when i first purchased, that's why i bought a used one. But I've been pretty impressed with the longevity. If you're up for the little bit of maintenance it requires, it's an excellent option.

I've also been looking at those Wye check valves, pretty sweet, BRS has them, but damn are they expensive! I have a regular one for my new tank, but been salivating over the Wye. Looks like a breeze to clean & the regular one I have is not a union, so will be a PITA to clean & it will fail at some point. My sump will hold all the back siphon, but I'd like to keep the extra inch in the display if possible. Plus, I read that they don't restrict the flow near as much as the flapper ones. Huge plus! We'll see, I'll probably buy it! Lol, maybe the next group buy!

• Like 1

Even the magazine was a Venustus

This has been the largest box I've ever received, let alone for a single fish. It was also at least sextuple bagged.

E04idOC.jpg?1

Fish is doing well but all the nights are off and hes hanging out under the overhanging so there wont be any nice pictures of him in the tank for a few days.

Until then here is another iPhone picture of the tank I took a few days ago of the fish hanging out.

Avuu389.jpg

• Like 1

Man it didn't take him long to venture out of his cave / overhang. I had to turn the lights on to take a picture. One of the prettiest fish I've ever seen.

I8dhqup.jpg

• Like 13

Gorgeous fish, I love the venustus, one of my favorite angels for sure. Hope yours fares alot better then mine did! Mine had complications with its catch/ decompression as it appeared to develop an infection or something from being "popped" and didn't make it but a few days in the tank.

• Like 1

Gorgeous fish, I love the venustus, one of my favorite angels for sure. Hope yours fares alot better then mine did! Mine had complications with its catch/ decompression as it appeared to develop an infection or something from being "popped" and didn't make it but a few days in the tank.

Ya they are deeper water angels so I can see that being a cause. Just need to buy from quality sources when the fish are more rare/finicky.

Ya they are deeper water angels so I can see that being a cause. Just need to buy from quality sources when the fish are more rare/finicky.

I got it direct from the same wholesaler LA uses through my old LFS. Complications happen from time to time tho, but if LA has had it for a while I'd imagine its fine as far as that goes atleast :)

Nov 2015 FTS

kgVEF6w.jpg

The FTS was awesome as it was one of the first times that every fish was out today.

Plus a nice picture of the Sunburst since I haven't taken a picture of him since he was added to the tank awhile ago. He was really shy for about 2 weeks but is now out swimming with all the fish. And the next is the Venustus checking out the Midas' house. I'd like to think that the Midas is going "Oh My God" as he sees this beautiful fish.

D6YxeU6.jpg

PVMC373.jpg

• Like 9
Marc.The.Shark

You're right buddy, that fish was well worth the wait! It's a beauty. Are they known to peck @ coral? Also go back up a few posts & read the review I did for you on the SCWD.

You're right buddy, that fish was well worth the wait! It's a beauty. Are they known to peck @ coral?

Supposedly no, but I've seen him take nips at the brain and a few of the other corals. They don't seem damaged but are closed up more than usual. Which isn't the worst. Some of the corals show better coloration that way.

Scorched,

How do you manage coral wars? You have so many nice pieces really close to one another. Do you have to break them off and move them, or do you frag them back when they get too close? I read that brains and favia have long aggressive sweepers, but you have some brain corals pretty close to their neighbors. Also, do your BTA's walk over other corals and kill them?

I'm trying to figure out how to stock and arrange my tank, but it's still in relative infancy.

And that FTS looks great with all the fish out.

• Like 1

Your FTS archive is what made me get into reef tanks. AWESOME tank! I can't believe it is only 12 gallons. The variety of colors between the corals and fish is amazing. One of these days I am going to have to pick up a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon.