Coral Vue Hydros

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

I'm in the process of putting together my lights and I had a question. I'm using 4 drivers but I would like to power them using only to plugs. reason being that the fixture I have has two switches i'd like to incorporate. would there be any problems with running one power cord to two drivers?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi I have what is known to you lot in the states as the NanoWave 9. Its a 9-10gal all in one tank, 16 inches across x 13 inches front to back (including the sump area in the back) x 13.5 inches tall. *sorry for the weird sounding measurements, I am used to cms hehe*. Well I am wanting to up grade the light unit to LEDs to reduce the heating issue I have with the 2x 24W PC lights in the hood and would like help in deciding which LED kit from Aquastyles is best suited for my tank.

Am not interested in SPS but wouldn't totally rule it out either but currently its Softies and LPS. Was looking at the 14 LED (42w total) Dimmable DIY kit. Would this be plenty? To much? Not enough?

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

I have the 14 dimmable over my 11.4 gallon and it is perfect. Here it is at 60% intensity:

1HbtM.jpg

you guys all make me jealous...my LED's just shipped yesterday... I've got a typhon controller, 4 dimmable mean well drivers, a coolerguys digital fan controller, 4 80mm fans, 48 LED's and a massive heatsink just waiting to be built...i'll have pictures up soon as i get everything in, don't worry about that...

Hello!

Ray did not answer to me for weeks, until I make the order...After that he is very quick to answer.

And for everyone: the actinic violet(420nm) is out of stock right now, will be at the weekend.

Also one question how to order the LEDs? i bought a 24 dimmable kit 12xRB,10xCW,2xAV with 60degree optics,300x180mm heatsink for my 50x50x50cm cube...a made these designs:

post-71914-1329325044_thumb.jpg

post-71914-1329325058_thumb.jpg

Which will be the best, or do you have better order?

Thanks

Are those Red or 420s. if 420s you wont even be able to notice them. I would say atleast 8 420s.

Are those Red or 420s. if 420s you wont even be able to notice them. I would say atleast 8 420s.

Everyone says that but I've got 2 of the "pink" LEDs and they are definitely noticeable.

Everyone says that but I've got 2 of the "pink" LEDs and they are definitely noticeable.

yes... 2 pink would work

How do you like them?

I was looking at pink aka magenta about a year ago but decided to go with the standrd red LEDs. The magenta LEDs are a mix of 450ish and 620ish incase anyone is wondering.

Can I put a 72 led fixture that's gonna be 10 inches off the water in a closed canopy or will it get to warm for the LEDs?

you could always install it, if it gets to warm just install a few PC fans to help vent the hot air.

yes... 2 pink would work

How do you like them?

I was looking at pink aka magenta about a year ago but decided to go with the standrd red LEDs. The magenta LEDs are a mix of 450ish and 620ish incase anyone is wondering.

They look really good. When everything is on, I have shades of pink, purple and blue going with white. I have all of the blue on its own channel for the lunar phase. The frags right under one of the pink channels are responding really well and have opened more than ever.

Got my 24 kit all together over the weekend and I am very please. Haven't hung it yet since the tank is still cycling but i held it above for a little teaser. Hard to get a good look at it and make any adjustments but i have no complaints at all. There may be just a little spotlighting but once i get a chance to make adjustments and step back to take a look hopefully I can elmininate it or at least limit it. Kit was easy to assembly and everything was well packed.

Also I plan on taking the light to a local aquaculture facility to get the PAR reading with it hungover one of their tanks. They want to see what the difference is between the Cree's their running and the Bridgelux.

Awesome i was thinking that that would work im hoping having it closed will help with evap.

It's funny you should say that. I have constructed what I think is a simple and clean solution for a rimless tank lid. Materials involved:

- Custom cut glass piece from Lowe's ($5 including glass and cutting)

- White 1/2" glass molding from the door section of Lowe's (99 cents)

- Aquarium tank lid clips from Ebay ($3)

- Elmer's white glue

My spec gravity has stayed at 1.024 (by refrac) for 7 days without any top-off

rwAw2l.jpg

DimePieceReef
Hello!

Ray did not answer to me for weeks, until I make the order...After that he is very quick to answer.

And for everyone: the actinic violet(420nm) is out of stock right now, will be at the weekend.

Also one question how to order the LEDs? i bought a 24 dimmable kit 12xRB,10xCW,2xAV with 60degree optics,300x180mm heatsink for my 50x50x50cm cube...a made these designs:

post-71914-1329325044_thumb.jpg

post-71914-1329325058_thumb.jpg

Which will be the best, or do you have better order?

Thanks

Ok so Ill place my order and hopefully he will be able to change the led preference that I want. Thanks

Has anyone used a PAR meter on one of these kits yet?

there is a few out there yes - I would love to put one on my 40b - God ive been away from the forums for a little bit. I am sure glad everyone has finally got their orders in - As they attest.. It is well worth the wait - The quality ray puts out is second to none for the price!

and his email is support@aquastyleonline.com

He is very busy and getting all caught up - im sure it will be business as normal in a few days :) ie get a response back within 24 hours!

Can I put a 72 led fixture that's gonna be 10 inches off the water in a closed canopy or will it get to warm for the LEDs?

I wouldnt imagine them getting warm - they are fairly cool to be totally honest. The drivers is what generates the most heat! These bulbs dont run hot as hell like the crees do fortunatly

My 24 dimmable kit came today B) Shipping was fast, shipped Feb 11, 2012 3:27 AM HK time, on my door Feb 15, 2012 11:21 AM SoCal time :D this weekend i will put it together.

Has anyone used a PAR meter on one of these kits yet?

I'm taking my fixture to a local reef store this weekend to get the par tested. That's if I get it put together by then. 60 LEDs take a long time to solder. my fingers hurt

I wouldnt imagine them getting warm - they are fairly cool to be totally honest. The drivers is what generates the most heat! These bulbs dont run hot as hell like the crees do fortunatly

I agree with this assessment. I had purchased a cooler master fan to install on the LED rig but it has run pretty cool the past two days so I am just gonna leave the fan off. The drivers, on the other hand, get some heat. I recommend you set them just below max, try not to ever run them on max b/c they get heated. 80-90% is the sweet spot in terms of ceiling. I keep it at about 60% anyway. I just finished putting together the project box with the drivers inside and switches outside, and so far it hasn't gotten hot but it's only been about 2 hours. We'll have to wait and see. If it does, I may have to end up installing that case fan into the project box to cool the dimmer drivers.

I'm taking my fixture to a local reef store this weekend to get the par tested. That's if I get it put together by then. 60 LEDs take a long time to solder. my fingers hurt

Please keep us updated on this, I would like to know so that I can quit my search for someone with a PAR meter!

I ordered my 24 dimmable kit last night and cannot wait to put it together!
Just began emailing ray about ordering a 90 led kit! Cant wait!

Oh yeah, more takers! Yay for joining the club. These lights kick ass!!!

I like the pink and cupcake work cloth!

Seriously tho.. looks really good.

LOL. That was a left over from my wife's birthday the other day. She hit the big 3-0 so I threw her a kiddy birthday party to remind her she was still young and vibrant.

On another note, I just rested my forearm on a hot soldering iron a few minutes ago. Man that was a dumb move. Still I forge on. Should be done with the fixture tonight.

Archived