SaltCritters.com

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

Hi all quick question here...I just bought a used jbj 24 with no hood an would like to set it up with LED's wich DIY kit would be best for growing soft coral an some lps an mayyyyybeeee later sps...thank you for the help

24 dimmable kit would be plenty for sps :) you can go more if you'd like really kinda wasting power though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay order arrived today!!! Forgot about the overseas shipping thing so when ordering your package actually goes backwards in time lol. Anyway arrived a day early, so time to get cracking on this replacement. Now as luck would have it I feel like crap today, but hey my lights are here!!!!

I ordered a 24 LED kit yesterday to go over my 20L AIO build. My plan is to make a custom hanging enclosure to the heatsink, LED shield and fan since I run a plastics fab shop!!!

Yay order arrived today!!! Forgot about the overseas shipping thing so when ordering your package actually goes backwards in time lol. Anyway arrived a day early, so time to get cracking on this replacement. Now as luck would have it I feel like crap today, but hey my lights are here!!!!

Nice - :) damn chinese new year had everyone bent out of shape - Take you're time with the build ensure quality solders!

I ordered a 24 LED kit yesterday to go over my 20L AIO build. My plan is to make a custom hanging enclosure to the heatsink, LED shield and fan since I run a plastics fab shop!!!

Lucky you! You probably should not yap about the plastic fab shop - unless you're trying to whore some business to NR customers :)

Corbet_Jackson50

Im glad I found this "club" I havent been able to get much feedback on these kits on other forums. I am getting ready to put the 120 led kit over my 120g (replacing 2x250w halides and 2 54w T5's)

So are most of you happy with the 50/50 mix of CW and RB?

Quick question. I want to run 3 pair wire up to the lights from the control box I am making. Can I tie both negatives for the white and blue together and send the power up one wire instead of two? Otherwise I will have to run an additional lead up with my 3 wire cord. In my line of thinking it should be ok to do because all the voltage control should be through the positive, but I may be wrong.

Quick question. I want to run 3 pair wire up to the lights from the control box I am making. Can I tie both negatives for the white and blue together and send the power up one wire instead of two? Otherwise I will have to run an additional lead up with my 3 wire cord. In my line of thinking it should be ok to do because all the voltage control should be through the positive, but I may be wrong.

I am no expert, but I don't think that would work.

Go to Home Depot and get some 16g x 4 awg in-wall speaker wire. It is 4 strands of 16g wire in a nice and tidy package

I am no expert, but I don't think that would work.

Go to Home Depot and get some 16g x 4 awg in-wall speaker wire. It is 4 strands of 16g wire in a nice and tidy package

Yeah it was a special order for my local hd. The only 4 pair wire they had was 12 gauge!!! Way to big lol. So I will just have to use the 16/3 I have and run an additional wire up with the group then skin the whole assembly in wire sleeve and heat shrink similar to what you would do when sleeving a computer.

Yeah it was a special order for my local hd. The only 4 pair wire they had was 12 gauge!!! Way to big lol. So I will just have to use the 16/3 I have and run an additional wire up with the group then skin the whole assembly in wire sleeve and heat shrink similar to what you would do when sleeving a computer.

How many drivers are you running? Any fans? Could always run two strings of the 16x3 and use two of the strands for your fans. Would help to keep things nice and tidy.

How many drivers are you running? Any fans? Could always run two strings of the 16x3 and use two of the strands for your fans. Would help to keep things nice and tidy.

2 drivers the 24 led kit . One for blue, one for white. As far as fans go not sure I am going to need a fan considering the size of the heatsink and being suspended for now. Once I get the time to gut the nanocubes hood then there will be the cooling fan incorporated into the hood. I planed on using the supplied fan in the enclosure for the drivers. But that was a novel idea you had there. I have a ton of sleeve laying around so that might be the way I go.

DimePieceReef

Yo Reef Peeps! I plan on joining the club as well. I currently have a 20L with 4X24 T5HO. Like most peeps out there Im tired of buying bulbs every year and with all the great reviews Im ready to jump. I have a mixed reef of softies LPS and SPS. I want to make sure I make the correct purchase. I was thinking of going with the 24 led dimmable kit. I have never soldered anything in my life but there was also a time when I never drilled glass as well. Thats why I love nano-reef and youtube! :D Anyway any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Should I go 80 or 60 optics? What do u guys think of 12RB 8CW and 4UV? Im not sure which drivers to get either. Thanks!

Got the leds all wired up and installed and tested out. Now that I am blind!!!! My only complaint is with the lenses. Future builders beware, pay attention to how the lenses fit onto the star boards because if you leave too much solder or a few stray strands of wire it may interfere with how they seat. Other than that no problems and very happy overall with the quality of the materials and packaging. Perhaps I will take a few pictures and post them up in a few days.

Two questions.

1. How well are your dimmers working as they don't seem to need the 10v adapters to work.

2. Has anyone from Canada ordered from aquastyle. If so. How long did it take to get the items.

Two questions.

1. How well are your dimmers working as they don't seem to need the 10v adapters to work.

2. Has anyone from Canada ordered from aquastyle. If so. How long did it take to get the items.

Not sure who the question is directed at? As far as the quality of the dimmers I feel they are perfectly fine as long as the leads are soldered. Not sure once again what you mean by the 10 v adapters? And for the last question I am sure it would be the same for anyone who has ordered in any country, you are at the mercy of customs. Rest assured for a diy kit these are of impeccable quality and they really do work well and look well. Props to Ray and his company they have provided a quality product that seems well built, and at an unbeatable price in my opinion.

The directions say heat plaster dries in 10 minutes.

I call BS...

Over 4 hours and they still move. Has anyone else had an issue with the thermal adhesive?

Yeah same problem with the plaster. I just left mine overnight and they were rock solid.

same here.I plastered even the drivers and left in all night.The next day all seemed perfectly glued.

Very good. It held enough to solder them up- but once I started to tweak the wires around making up my harness one popped off. I guess I'm done for the day.

Thanks guys

Not sure who the question is directed at? As far as the quality of the dimmers I feel they are perfectly fine as long as the leads are soldered. Not sure once again what you mean by the 10 v adapters? And for the last question I am sure it would be the same for anyone who has ordered in any country, you are at the mercy of customs. Rest assured for a diy kit these are of impeccable quality and they really do work well and look well. Props to Ray and his company they have provided a quality product that seems well built, and at an unbeatable price in my opinion.

To anyone that has bought a dimming kit from Aquastyle.

You need a 10v ac adapter also for dimming the meanwells unless you have a controller instead. I see these kits you're using does not need this with the drivers you get. Thus the question.

I was told by one of the venders that it's more a pain and time to get things to Canada. Thus the second question.

I apologize for the crappy ipod pictures my camera batteries were dead. Also the low light as this is located under my 28 gallon nanocube stand. The first picture is of the top view with the cooling fan,I used the rubber mount no noise. The next picture is of the vent slots I cut into the side using my deremel. The last picture is of the inside showing the wiring, the cut leads are additional and not being used currently, they will be used for sending power to moonlights in the future. All wires coming in have grommets and everything is soldered as well as covered in heatshrink. I ended up running 2 (black extension cord wire) 16 gauge x 3 conductors each wires up to the light again the extra leads will be used in the future. I still need to connect some 4 plug molex connectors onto those wires for quick disconnect. And the drivers were attached to the base of the box via velcro.

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Now for temps the drivers are at 78* F and the heatsink is at 104* F . Not to shabby and no cooling fan on the heatsink both drivers set to about 85%. Man these pics suck and do no justice for how clean the install actually turned out.

I have not tried without yet as mine is still above the tank by about 8 inches. But I do not notice any spotlight effect perhaps once I install it in the hood things will change?

Archived