Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

2cm.

I ve finished the diy led kit.16 rb 16 white 10.000k 4 UV(actinic)with no optics.Although i bought 2 red I decided not to solder them because they where extra extra bright.All the parts excelent quality(wires,leds,heatsink,even the plaster glue)Only the potensiometers (dimmers)seems to have some breaks during turning but since it is set everything ok.

imag0208t.jpg

imag0211wg.jpg

Let there be light!

What is your tank's dimensions? looks great BTW

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is your tank's dimensions? looks great BTW

It is a Red Sea Max 130.Aquarium length 610 mm (24"),width 500 mm (19.7"),height 500 mm (19.7").

Here is a small video of 36led diy kit.

I did opened the hood and soldered the dimmers.They work super fine now.One small piece(hair size)of wire was making a connection between the dimmers and that was the problem!The best thing about those led kits is that they dont get hot like the crees.After 10 hours at 70% the hood is still cold and the fans are blowing cold air.

Well here it is over 1 week later and still no change in status shipping wise. Considering it costs $30 us dollars in shipping alone, I am so far not to impressed overall. Really hope the quality is out of this world. Not to sure why it takes a company over a week to process an order even given the fact of their holiday? Not trying to be to criticizing but just want to put it out there for anyone else considering a purchase, if it were free shipping then I could understand being at the senders mercy but when you pay top dollar for shipping I expect to receive my purchase quicker than this. Because I was told my order would be shipping out on Monday and here it is Monday 10pm their time and no shipment?

Well here it is over 1 week later and still no change in status shipping wise. Considering it costs $30 us dollars in shipping alone, I am so far not to impressed overall. Really hope the quality is out of this world. Not to sure why it takes a company over a week to process an order even given the fact of their holiday? Not trying to be to criticizing but just want to put it out there for anyone else considering a purchase, if it were free shipping then I could understand being at the senders mercy but when you pay top dollar for shipping I expect to receive my purchase quicker than this. Because I was told my order would be shipping out on Monday and here it is Monday 10pm their time and no shipment?

Wow everyone is overly critical on this - it is known he is extremely busy... he has never not shipped product - it may be going out a smidge late. And did he say monday his time or yours? i know when he talks about shipping to me i've ordered twice it was in reference to our time zones not his

Edit: I guess some people are just more impatient than others..

Wow everyone is overly critical on this - it is known he is extremely busy... he has never not shipped product - it may be going out a smidge late. And did he say monday his time or yours? i know when he talks about shipping to me i've ordered twice it was in reference to our time zones not his

Edit: I guess some people are just more impatient than others..

No not impatient at all I have been trying to give the benefit of the doubt all along see my previous posts. And I have also stressed to him that my order was needed because my current lights were not working properly. So when it takes over 1week to ship out a small order and then expect at least another week in shipping, yes to me thats unacceptable. Especially since the shipping costs $30.00, that no matter where you are on the planet should equate to around the speed of maybe 3 business days. Because I cannot see this merchandise weighing more than 8lbs or so. I ordered the 24 light kit. I was fully prepared to wait around a week for my order not 2 or 3, especially since the money was withdrawn immediately. He could have been more specific on his site with the shipping delay due to a holiday from 2 weeks ago now, or if it was a back order thing at least given the information to the customer so they could have the option to go elsewhere if they needed to. Thats whats got me uptight about right now, but like I said and like I told him I have heard nothing but good praise about his company here so I am holding onto that with my overall feelings about this purchase. I just wanted to give an update on my order so others that were entertaining the thought of purchase would know what to expect. And if he is running that far behind on his orders it might be time to hire some help.

I see your point - i do recall your light was on the frits that is for sure! If you were any closer to me id throw ya one of my lights to use for short term - i have a 36" pc with 2 bulbs and a t5ho with 2 bulbs - Im on the border of new york and pa right off 81. But thats too far to drive to pick up a 100 dollar light for short term hehe..

Rest assured Ray will do his best to make it right for you! I am hoping you dont get tied up in customs - my second package did - their random check crap delayed ma package some. But it was for my sump.

Yep need to give an update were it's due. Looks he kept good on his word an it was shipped today via fedex. Aside from any customs issues should be here by thursday. Just wanted to clarify and add that. And thanks again for your input Trogdor.

This thread had some awesome information on it. I am really enjoying the pics and stuff. I'm hoping to join the AquaStyleOnline Club soon, and was wondering if I could get a couple questions answered.

First - would two 11x7 inch with 18 led each 50/50 10k Royal blue be adequate for a 20 long and then for a 40 gallon breeder in the future? both fixtures will be on dimmable drivers to adjust color and intensity.

Second - would one UV and one Red on each heat sink be "enough" to add color? It seems everything I've read says they will, or there is no point in using them.

I've asked Ray all these questions too but I figure I would ask you guys as well and get a variety of opinions.

Looking forward to getting my lights and thanks for the help.

Thank you! They're hanging about 8" above the water line with the 60 degree optics.

Here's some more pics of the light fixture and the LED's.

_DSC1320.jpg

_DSC1322.jpg

_DSC1323.jpg

White and Blue on lowest setting.

_DSC1325.jpg

White 100%

_DSC1326.jpg

Blue 100%

_DSC1327.jpg

White and Blue 100%

_DSC1328.jpg

We tend to leave the LED's on at about 85% Blue and 80% White, at 100% it's a little too bright.

In the 4th picture what dimmers are u using? The nobs or whatnot

@ bdehlin

What size of channel did you use for those heatsinks? How cool do they keep.

I'd like to know as well. Also where did you get them? Online or Lowes/HD?

I changed my order with Ray over the weekeknd. I was originally going to get the 36 LED kit with the largest heatsink but Ray said it may not be enough for my 50g

I then took the heatsink off the order and added a 24LEd kit. Turns out the total with shipping was $1 more than the 72 LEd kit with shipping so I went with that one.

My question now is, will 72 leds be too much for my tank? Dimensions are 36"Lx18"Wx20"D

I could always use the extras for my sump/fuge/frag tank.

How many should I put above my display?

In the 4th picture what dimmers are u using? The nobs or whatnot

Those are the standard knobs and pots that came with the kit. I tried upgrading the pots with some linear 10k Ohm pots from Fry's, but they didn't work at all. Here's a better pic of the stock knobs and pots:

_DSC1324.jpg

@ bdehlin

What size of channel did you use for those heatsinks? How cool do they keep.

I used .125" wall 1.5" aluminum U-channel (or C-channel). I bought the U-channel from a local metal supply store, any typical metal shop should carry the same thing. I bought a little over 9' for $12, much cheaper and heftier aluminum than Lowe's or Home Depot would ever carry. I'm not sure about the temp exactly, but they are barely warm to the touch without running any fans. We'll be installing some fans to cool them off come summer when it can reach over 100 degrees here.

I'd like to know as well. Also where did you get them? Online or Lowes/HD?

I changed my order with Ray over the weekeknd. I was originally going to get the 36 LED kit with the largest heatsink but Ray said it may not be enough for my 50g

I then took the heatsink off the order and added a 24LEd kit. Turns out the total with shipping was $1 more than the 72 LEd kit with shipping so I went with that one.

My question now is, will 72 leds be too much for my tank? Dimensions are 36"Lx18"Wx20"D

I could always use the extras for my sump/fuge/frag tank.

How many should I put above my display?

We're running the 36 kit on a 40 gallon, which is only a bit shorter than your tank. With our lights maxed out we are getting 400-500 PAR in the SPS garden, and 225 Par on the sandbed. If there was something in between their 36 and 72 kit I would say you should buy that, but there isn't. I'd just hate to order the 36 and find out it isn't enough light for SPS, so I would order the 72 and dim them back to acceptable PAR levels.

Those are the standard knobs and pots that came with the kit. I tried upgrading the pots with some linear 10k Ohm pots from Fry's, but they didn't work at all. Here's a better pic of the stock knobs and pots:

_DSC1324.jpg

I used .125" wall 1.5" aluminum U-channel (or C-channel). I bought the U-channel from a local metal supply store, any typical metal shop should carry the same thing. I bought a little over 9' for $12, much cheaper and heftier aluminum than Lowe's or Home Depot would ever carry. I'm not sure about the temp exactly, but they are barely warm to the touch without running any fans. We'll be installing some fans to cool them off come summer when it can reach over 100 degrees here.

We're running the 36 kit on a 40 gallon, which is only a bit shorter than your tank. With our lights maxed out we are getting 400-500 PAR in the SPS garden, and 225 Par on the sandbed. If there was something in between their 36 and 72 kit I would say you should buy that, but there isn't. I'd just hate to order the 36 and find out it isn't enough light for SPS, so I would order the 72 and dim them back to acceptable PAR levels.

That's what I did. with the life I should get out of these lights I could run them dimmed on this tank and not have to upgrade lighting if I choose to go to a bigger tank in a couple years

PS: Order updated to awaiting shipping. YAY!!!

PS: Order updated to awaiting shipping. YAY!!!

Mine says awaiting shipping also. Does that mean anything really other than it's still not shipped?

Mine says awaiting shipping also. Does that mean anything really other than it's still not shipped?

It means the order has been filled and packaged but not sent on its way yet

It means the order has been filled and packaged but not sent on its way yet

k i appreciate your explanation but i i was being facetious. i am saying the status change doesn't mean anything, really.

k i appreciate your explanation but i i was being facetious. i am saying the status change doesn't mean anything, really.

And I'm saying it does mean something

Didn't see this thread.. I have 32 LEDs over my 20L. It is perfect and I have had it running for 3 months now no problems. Will post up pics when I can snap a clean pic

Hi all quick question here...I just bought a used jbj 24 with no hood an would like to set it up with LED's wich DIY kit would be best for growing soft coral an some lps an mayyyyybeeee later sps...thank you for the help

Archived