Cultivated Reef

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

basicfisherman

From the time you place your order till the time it ships feels like the longest week! I wouldn't worry about the slow response from Ray.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys dont' think AquaStyles is just some dude who is trying to get use a great deal on LEDS. AquaStyles is part of Advance Tech. In China. They are a huge company that deals in communications and software support. This is just one of their many businesses. And I doubt there is really a guy named "Ray" that works there. That is just the name they use on customer support.

Guys dont' think AquaStyles is just some dude who is trying to get use a great deal on LEDS. AquaStyles is part of Advance Tech. In China. They are a huge company that deals in communications and software support. This is just one of their many businesses. And I doubt there is really a guy named "Ray" that works there. That is just the name they use on customer support.

If that's true then that's really disappointing... Not to be a nag but, do you have proof of that?

Until then... PICS!!!!!

Before...

IMG087.jpg

After!!

IMG093.jpg

Playing around with the pots.. got a lot of different looks

IMG092.jpg

IMG091.jpg

IMG089.jpg

IMG095.jpg

All those pics are with the pots some degree less than 100%

Here is what happens to my camera when I put them to full power

both 100%

IMG094.jpg

Blues 100%

IMG090.jpg

I wasn't planning to mount the fixture until I got the par tested today but I couldn't wait to see the results

Still getting the par tested later today

If that's true then that's really disappointing... Not to be a nag but, do you have proof of that?

Until then... PICS!!!!!

Before...

IMG087.jpg

After!!

IMG093.jpg

IMG092.jpg

IMG091.jpg

IMG089.jpg

IMG095.jpg

both 100%

IMG094.jpg

Blues 100%

IMG090.jpg

I wasn't planning to mount the fixture until I got the par tested today but I couldn't wait to see the results

Wow! That looks really awesome. Now I really can't wait to get mine in so I can build it up!

basicfisherman

I would agree with the fact that there isn't a guy named "Ray" but that is not a big deal to me. On the other hand I'm not to sure about your theory of Aquastyles being owned by Advanced Tech. None the less I have gotten a good deal and am happy with the product.

Ralgo that is a great looking light you have built. Did you gut an old hood out to make that? What color combo are you running? Just 50/50?

I would agree with the fact that there isn't a guy named "Ray" but that is not a big deal to me. On the other hand I'm not to sure about your theory of Aquastyles being owned by Advanced Tech. None the less I have gotten a good deal and am happy with the product.

Ralgo that is a great looking light you have built. Did you gut an old hood out to make that? What color combo are you running? Just 50/50?

Yeah I gutted an old Tek Light 4 bulb unit. it works perfectly for the dimensions of my tank. I used 32 Blues and 32 Whites.

Ok so I went to the LFS to get the PAR tested today and I must say... I am quite impressed

Results

60 degree Optics

Blue only; Lights 12" above water

Right above the water level - 360

1" below water level - 285

15" below water level - 185

26" below water level - 125

White only; Lights 12" above water

Right above the water level - 320

1" below water level - 260

15" below water level - 165

26" below water level - 100

All Lights; Lights 12" above water

Right above the water level- 700

1" below water level- 525

15" below water level - 370

26" below water level - 200

The guys at the store were quite impressed with the readings considering the cost (less than $300 total).

We tested another commercially made fixture that put out similar readings but that was only half the width of my light.

So for $300 I have the equivalent of two $400 to $700 fixtures.

Yeah I gutted an old Tek Light 4 bulb unit. it works perfectly for the dimensions of my tank. I used 32 Blues and 32 Whites.

Ok so I went to the LFS to get the PAR tested today and I must say... I am quite impressed

Results

60 degree Optics

The guys at the store were quite impressed with the readings considering the cost (less than $300 total).

We tested another commercially made fixture that put out similar readings but that was only half the width of my light.

Those are some pretty impressive numbers! I cannot wait to do my new tank with them!

Hey Ralgo

What was the other fixture you were comparing it to?

Cant remember the name unfortunately. I'll check with the guy and let you know

scubasteve247

hey buddy, its kyle from Eco reef,

The lights we found comparable in par was the Eco Ray 60, and the AI sol white

the eco ray put out slightly higher numbers, deeper in aquarium, but in shallow water your light was right on spec,

And both your fixture and the eco ray out perform the ai in par,

I was very impressed that your unit covered a area of about 14"x40" at 64 watts, and had comparable par to the eco ray 60, (coverage area 10.5x13) at 60 watts, and the AI coverage area about 14"x36" at 72w

As we discussed the other day i found your unit to be very powerful, its par numbers smack around other lights.

I think the only improvements that could be made would be some RGB stips inbetween your rows. i think this would allow for a more complete color rendition on your corals as well as a more complete spectrum, however that will depend on intensity of the the rgb strips.

another thing i like is if you use mean well ballasts the unit can be controlled by units such as the apex and the reef keeper,

all in all sweet light, especially for the price,

only downside, most likely problems with customer service and repair, my guess is your going to be on your own there, they may send out replacement parts, but your prob gonna be on the hook for the work, but i doubt you care about that lol.

I have the 24 over my ten gallon. It sets right above the water maybe 3 inches without optics. All my coral seem to be doing great but my zoas seem to be stretching is this normal? They are at 75%

hey buddy, its kyle from Eco reef,

The lights we found comparable in par was the Eco Ray 60, and the AI sol white

the eco ray put out slightly higher numbers, deeper in aquarium, but in shallow water your light was right on spec,

And both your fixture and the eco ray out perform the ai in par,

I was very impressed that your unit covered a area of about 14"x40" at 64 watts, and had comparable par to the eco ray 60, (coverage area 10.5x13) at 60 watts, and the AI coverage area about 14"x36" at 72w

As we discussed the other day i found your unit to be very powerful, its par numbers smack around other lights.

I think the only improvements that could be made would be some RGB stips inbetween your rows. i think this would allow for a more complete color rendition on your corals as well as a more complete spectrum, however that will depend on intensity of the the rgb strips.

another thing i like is if you use mean well ballasts the unit can be controlled by units such as the apex and the reef keeper,

all in all sweet light, especially for the price,

only downside, most likely problems with customer service and repair, my guess is your going to be on your own there, they may send out replacement parts, but your prob gonna be on the hook for the work, but i doubt you care about that lol.

Thanks Kyle.

basicfisherman

So this brings up a question that I have been thinking of for some time. I tossed this same question around before buying these DIY LEDs. Where do some of the people that have multiple $300-700 fixtures above there tanks find the money for this?

On a different note I'm glad to see that someone has posted some PAR readings of these LEDs. I could tell that they have decent PAR because my corals have been responding nicely. Thanks for the info.

I have the 24 over my ten gallon. It sets right above the water maybe 3 inches without optics. All my coral seem to be doing great but my zoas seem to be stretching is this normal? They are at 75%

Is this for real? I have 16 over my 11.4 gallon and it's already intense. Haha...24...damn, that is bright.

Got my 24 dimmable kit over my 20L this weekend. If I were to do it again though I would definitely say the 36 kit with a longer heatsink would have been better for the long tank. I think if i had a 20H or even a 10gal this kit would be great for either.

I also had my PAR rating checked at a LFS. The were pretty impressed at the readings we got compare to the money spent on the unit. The have been testing out numerous LED fixtures in the shops and have been building their own. He had a new fixture that was just released last week and retails for $1300....for some reason it is not lighting like it should and my $135 DIY kits PAR numbers for the same it not a little higher when checking just under the waters surface.

Can't wait to get my second order now omgomgomg

Order Date: 17th Feb 2012

today This order is marked as Awaiting Fulfillment

Your Order Contains the Following Items:

1 x 36 LEDs DIY Dimmable Kit

(LEDs Color Options: 18 White 14 Blue 2 Red 2 UV, Heatsink(with a fan): No)

OR

18 blue 14 White thanks 2 Red 2 UV

Please help what would you get thanks guys

I just received tracking info for my order.

Here is what I'm doing for a layout:

chmZI.jpg

Driver 1: 4 cool white: 2 neutral white, 2 deep red 660nm, 2 royal blues 460nm, 2 turquoise 495nm.

Driver 2: 8 royal blues 460nm

Driver 3: 7 Trues Violet 420nm (design only shows 6 but I will probably add the 7th right in the middle)

These will be driven at 680ma max and likely dimmed 50% (adjusted for proper color balance). there will be 2 60mm fans blowing across the heatsink which is 30cm x 80cm. I will be mounting inside the hood of my Nanocube 12dx.

Ray at Aquastyles sourced the turquoise 495nm LEDs for me so if you are looking for a one stop shop for your more exotic colors, I'd say Aquastyles fits the bill. I had problems getting a timely response until I put in an order then there was prompt communication. Keep in mind the timezone will put you on a 12 hour communications lag. I went back and forth with Ray and had 8 responses over a period of 3 weeks but when the 420s finally came in, my order was finalized, I was sent a Paypal invoice and my order shipped the next day.

Now I was originally told the 420s would be in stock by Feb 12th. They were delayed a week further and came in Feb 19th. In the meantime I made a significant change to my design and now needed the 24 LED dimmable kit plus 3 LEDs and an extra driver vs the 14 LED dimmable kit I originally ordered. Ray sent me an invoice for the 3 extra LEDs and driver but gave me a FREE upgrade to the 24 LED kit for my patience with the delay on restocking the 420s. I was shocked at the gesture considering that's a $29 difference in price and it included 4 of the expensive 420s.

I think my total was about $131.00 and that included 3 day Fedex shipping. :D I just hope everything arrives as ordered.

Ray if you are reading this...Thank you!

Can't wait to get my second order now omgomgomg

Order Date: 17th Feb 2012

today This order is marked as Awaiting Fulfillment

Your Order Contains the Following Items:

1 x 36 LEDs DIY Dimmable Kit

(LEDs Color Options: 18 White 14 Blue 2 Red 2 UV, Heatsink(with a fan): No)

OR

18 blue 14 White thanks 2 Red 2 UV

Please help what would you get thanks guys

I'd say 18 blue 14 White thanks 2 Red 2 UV would give a better color balance.

Got my 24 dimmable kit over my 20L this weekend. If I were to do it again though I would definitely say the 36 kit with a longer heatsink would have been better for the long tank. I think if i had a 20H or even a 10gal this kit would be great for either.

I also had my PAR rating checked at a LFS. The were pretty impressed at the readings we got compare to the money spent on the unit. The have been testing out numerous LED fixtures in the shops and have been building their own. He had a new fixture that was just released last week and retails for $1300....for some reason it is not lighting like it should and my $135 DIY kits PAR numbers for the same it not a little higher when checking just under the waters surface.

I looked hard at the commercially available LED lighting solutions and came to the conclusion that if you want effective and affordable then DIY was the only way to go. I'm happy to hear the 24 kit can go head to head with the high $ stuff in the PAR test. My guess is the DIY Aquastyles kits can even look better too. Thats my hope anyway.

I'd say 18 blue 14 White thanks 2 Red 2 UV would give a better color balance.

Thanks ray is a great guy and takes care of his people A+

This order is marked as Awaiting Shipment omgomgomg

DimePieceReef

Until then... PICS!!!!!

Before...

IMG087.jpg

After!!

IMG093.jpg

IMG092.jpg

IMG091.jpg

IMG089.jpg

IMG095.jpg

both 100%

IMG094.jpg

Blues 100%

IMG090.jpg

Sweet! thanks for sharing! How bout we get everybodies FTS and put them on the 1st page. It has to have the aquastyles fixture above the tank of course...and under each pic will have the specs. Can we do that OP?

DimePieceReef

Results

60 degree Optics

Once again Ralgo comes thru! Again this is great work and great information. I dont care what anyone says about you Ralgo.If you want to do DIY's with cupcake workclothes be my guest. :D

Archived