Top Shelf Aquatics

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again Ralgo comes thru! Again this is great work and great information. I dont care what anyone says about you Ralgo.If you want to do DIY's with cupcake workclothes be my guest. :D

Just wait till I pull out my Disney princess welding helmet!

I'm planning some upgrades to the fixture too.

acrylic splash shield

2 or 4 12" cold cathode moonligths or a couple RGB controllable led strips

also gonna redo some of the wiring to sure up some of the connections and move most of the exposed wiring to the other side of the heatsink

will keep you updated

Ordered my 72 led build gonna be a 34 blues and royal blues 34 whites 4500k and 6500k and 4 UV ill post when i start my FIRST EVERY DIY build and i have never soldered before so recommendations would be grand oh and here is my thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=294247

tips for soldering..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfXXRfRIzY

Sorry first one i copied the wrong video

Of course -these guys have clips and such - you should not need to worry so much about this - but practice a little bit on the wires before you go soldering the led - you dont want to be nervous as all hell when starting.. Its nothing to be nervous about!

Ya i was gonna use my good bro Youtube for some help lol only thing i don't know is how im gonna wire both fixtures into one power cord. but ill fig it out and im planning on having all the blue on one dimmer all the whites on one and the UV on one as well so should be fun. Oh and there gonna be in a canopy thats gonna have them 10" off the water ill post all that when i get the LEDs want to see how much room im gonna need for my Canopy.

Also whats a good splash guard? like plexi glass or do i have to use acrylic or glass?

Ya i was gonna use my good bro Youtube for some help lol only thing i don't know is how im gonna wire both fixtures into one power cord. but ill fig it out and im planning on having all the blue on one dimmer all the whites on one and the UV on one as well so should be fun. Oh and there gonna be in a canopy thats gonna have them 10" off the water ill post all that when i get the LEDs want to see how much room im gonna need for my Canopy.

Also whats a good splash guard? like plexi glass or do i have to use acrylic or glass?

I have a glass top :) acrylic works good and wont melt on these - but everything in between is going to reflect light away no matter how transparent it is.

I have a glass top :) acrylic works good and wont melt on these - but everything in between is going to reflect light away no matter how transparent it is.

The eco reef guys recommended mounting the splash screen flush to the optics to reduce reflection. thats what I plan to do

So u would say glass or acrylic

anything else really is going to be cloudy etc - and as suggested optics right on glass / acrylic to reduce reflections

i had never even solder anything in my life and i just order the 24 led kit for tiny 8g nano lol so im going to have to dim the led down alot. i went with 8RB,2NB,4 45K, 4 10k, 4 420 true violet, 2 cyan. That should cover most of the spectrum the corals need.

DimePieceReef
How long do I need to let the Plaster dry before soldering?

Ray suggests 10 mins but others have said it takes longer. I would let it dry overnight to be safe.

basicfisherman
How long do I need to let the Plaster dry before soldering?

I let mine dry about 30 mins and they were pretty good. They could still be moved around if not careful.

DimePieceReef

I just recieved my 24 dim kit! Ordered on the 15th and recieved today the 23rd at Noon. Not too shabby for coming from the other end of the planet. Ray gave me 4 free LEDS too! Thanks Ray Ray!

Anyway I have a few questions. In all I have 29 LEDS. Do I have to use 12 to each driver or can I do more? Say 13 to each driver? Or maybe 14 on one and 12 on the other? Like i mentioned b4 this will be a first for soldering for me. Here are my color options:

13 RBs

4 10ks

4 65ks

4 45ks

2 pinks

2 UVs

Could I do 12 RBs and 2 UVs on one driver...and four 10ks, three 65ks, 3 45ks and 2 pink on the other driver? If not I can take out 2 RBs. Whatchas think?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

I just recieved my 24 dim kit! Ordered on the 15th and recieved today the 23rd at Noon. Not too shabby for coming from the other end of the planet. Ray gave me 4 free LEDS too! Thanks Ray Ray!

Anyway I have a few questions. In all I have 29 LEDS. Do I have to use 12 to each driver or can I do more? Say 13 to each driver? Or maybe 14 on one and 12 on the other? Like i mentioned b4 this will be a first for soldering for me. Here are my color options:

13 RBs

4 10ks

4 65ks

4 45ks

2 pinks

2 UVs

Could I do 12 RBs and 2 UVs on one driver...and four 10ks, three 65ks, 3 45ks and 2 pink on the other driver? If not I can take out 2 RBs. Whatchas think?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Depends on you're driver - If you have the bigger drive - which i'm assuming you do as the small driver is like 8-14 or something.. the large driver can handle 12-20 i believe thats just off the top of my head and giving a reply - but the label on it should advise you the max and min for it -

DimePieceReef
Depends on you're driver - If you have the bigger drive - which i'm assuming you do as the small driver is like 8-14 or something.. the large driver can handle 12-20 i believe thats just off the top of my head and giving a reply - but the label on it should advise you the max and min for it -

Thanks trogdor! I have the small driver I believe. It says (7-12) X3W on the driver. Ill just stick with 12 per.

As for the color ratio. After testing the UV leds with the tester they didnt seem very bright at all. So i was thinking about using all 12 RBS on one driver and maybe throw the UVs in with the whites and pinks? Maybe 3 65k, 3 10k, 2 45k, 2 pink and 2 UV on one driver and 12 RB on the other? Whatchas think? I dont want it to be too white.

Thanks trogdor! I have the small driver I believe. It says (7-12) X3W on the driver. Ill just stick with 12 per.

As for the color ratio. After testing the UV leds with the tester they didnt seem very bright at all. So i was thinking about using all 12 RBS on one driver and maybe throw the UVs in with the whites and pinks? Maybe 3 65k, 3 10k, 2 45k, 2 pink and 2 UV on one driver and 12 RB on the other? Whatchas think? I dont want it to be too white.

no too bright to the eye but corals will love them B)

Ok Aqua Style Fans....

I am ready to take the plunge. Ordering the 36 Dimmable kit 16 whites, 16 blues, 2 reds, and 2 UV

Any thoughts on my color selection?

Also which driver? Maxwellen 12-20 or MeanWell LPF-60D-48

Archived