Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

You need a 10v ac adapter also for dimming the meanwells unless you have a controller instead. I see these kits you're using does not need this with the drivers you get. Thus the question.

I was told by one of the venders that it's more a pain and time to get things to Canada. Thus the second question.

you don't need 10V adapter with the Maxwellen dimmable LED driver. The dimming pot wires supply enough voltage to the pot.......

I brought my kits last December, it was shipped by Fedex, and I received the shipment three days after it was shipped from Hong Kong, roughly 2 weeks after I placed the order.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you don't need 10V adapter with the Maxwellen dimmable LED driver. The dimming pot wires supply enough voltage to the pot.......

I brought my kits last December, it was shipped by Fedex, and I received the shipment three days after it was shipped from Hong Kong, roughly 2 weeks after I placed the order.

So why are we told we do need the adapter with the Mean Well ELN-60-48D. I was told a way to use a lower voltage adapter. Yet the adapter is still needed.

Are you in Canada? East or West.

So why are we told we do need the adapter with the Mean Well ELN-60-48D. I was told a way to use a lower voltage adapter. Yet the adapter is still needed.

Are you in Canada? East or West.

You don't need AC adapter for Maxwellen dimmable LED driver, but you will need an AC adapter for Mean Well ELN-60-48D. Maxwellen and Mean Well are two different brands. :huh:

I am from Richmond Hill, Ontario, you know, just outside of Toronto. :P

Update: just checked tracking; my delivery is sitting in the local FedEx hub, ready to be delivered to me monday. I also got a deal on a non working tek light 36" fixture today that will house my build. just got to go get the u channel after work on Monday and i'll be ready to go. DIY FTW!

You don't need AC adapter for Maxwellen dimmable LED driver, but you will need an AC adapter for Mean Well ELN-60-48D. Maxwellen and Mean Well are two different brands. :huh:

I am from Richmond Hill, Ontario, you know, just outside of Toronto. :P

Opp. Me bad. I've been eying the 24 dimmable kit from aquastyle for a few days and got the names mixed up while typing. It happens.

Sorry to hear that. I'm in the West. :P

Thanks for the info. I think I will shoot an email off to them and see if I can get the color and ratio I want.

Package Delivered!

Got some extras too. 4 extra LEDs, a hanging kit (even though my order didn't include a heatsink) and a tester.

I was able to get a busted Tek Light 34 fixture for $15 from a local reefer and that's what I'm gonna use with this build so the hanging kit will come in handy.

My plan is to run 4 rows of 15 LEDs. I got 1"x 1/2" 1/8 C channel that will fit perfectly into the light fixture leaving me room for a splash shield in the light. I'm going to keep the large reflector in the unit and I found that if I place u channel in the middle of each reflector they match up with the openings the t5 endcaps use to be. These holes make perfect openings to run fan air through. I'll have one fan for 2 rows of LEDs and they will also be able to cool the drivers I will be mounting in the fixture near the fans

Here is my question. I know most people go with 1"x1" u channel but with the inclusion of 2 fans plus having the "1x 1/2" channel flush to the reflector do you think I would run into any heat issues?

I'm trying to determine project box dimensions for housing these maxwellen drivers. Can anybody tell me the dimensions of the drivers with the mounting tabs included? From the posted dimensions for the smaller driver it's unclear whether the 11cm includes the tabs or not.

Thanks!

I'm trying to determine project box dimensions for housing these maxwellen drivers. Can anybody tell me the dimensions of the drivers with the mounting tabs included? From the posted dimensions for the smaller driver it's unclear whether the 11cm includes the tabs or not.

Thanks!

I have my drivers sitting in a box right here. Let me find a tape measure and I'll let you know

I have my drivers sitting in a box right here. Let me find a tape measure and I'll let you know

Awesome! You are running 15 LEDs per driver so I assume you have the larger size driver whose dimensions refer to a length of 11.5cm. I eagerly await your findings.

Thanks!

i just realized you were talking about the smaller drivers. I have the 13-20 LED Maxwellen dimmable drivers. They measure 13.5 CM from tab to tab while just the body measures 12cm. I would assume if you built the box with this in mind you should be fine

IMG073.jpg

i just realized you were talking about the smaller drivers. I have the 13-20 LED Maxwellen dimmable drivers. They measure 13.5 CM from tab to tab while just the body measures 12cm. I would assume if you built the box with this in mind you should be fine

Thanks Ralgo,

I'm using the ballast box that came with my Nanocube 12 DX to house the drivers and I was wondering if I could fit 2 drivers length wise. It looks like the answer is no. If mounting 2 smaller drivers on each side of the box and one in the middle I have loads of room. It's a sweet little aluminum enclosure. I just need to drill some holes to mount the pots. Those pots look huge! Are they about an inch wide?

GztC7.jpg

Thanks Ralgo,

I'm using the ballast box that came with my Nanocube 12 DX to house the drivers and I was wondering if I could fit 2 drivers length wise. It looks like the answer is no. If mounting 2 smaller drivers on each side of the box and one in the middle I have loads of room. It's a sweet little aluminum enclosure. I just need to drill some holes to mount the pots. Those pots look huge! Are they about an inch wide?

GztC7.jpg

yup. the base has a 1" diameter

Has anyone installed a kit in a 28 gallon Nano Cube. I think I am going to order the 24 dimmable kit! Looking forward to it! Would love to see some pictures from people who have installed the heatsink inside the hood. I am removing the metal halide light from mine. I haven't set the tank up yet, but don't want to deal with head issues.

I bought the 24 dimmable kit and it is perfect in my opinion. Anything more would just be a waste of light. And way better looking than the stock halide light. I have not had a chance to retro it in the hood but it will definitely go in. You might have to either shave a 1/4 inch off the heatsink or cut the plastic away in the stock hood in order for it to go in but other than that I anticipate no problems when I decide to do the swap. I used the hanging kit that was included and I honestly like the topless look better. Another option for these tanks is they do make a glass top for them and you could rest the light on that if you didn't want to cut anything away, those tops go for like $40.00 last time I checked.

Just finished putting together the 14 dimmable kit last night with 2 violets on the ends. Holy crap this thing is powerful. Gonna waste plenty of time setting up a proper hanging fixture and project box tonight.

This is what it looks like with the lights at about 50%. No photo retouching, taken with my phone.

1j8M3l.jpg

This is with the blues off, optics on. You can see the violet is spotlighting in the corners.

BdhOil.jpg

I bought the 24 dimmable kit and it is perfect in my opinion. Anything more would just be a waste of light. And way better looking than the stock halide light. I have not had a chance to retro it in the hood but it will definitely go in. You might have to either shave a 1/4 inch off the heatsink or cut the plastic away in the stock hood in order for it to go in but other than that I anticipate no problems when I decide to do the swap. I used the hanging kit that was included and I honestly like the topless look better. Another option for these tanks is they do make a glass top for them and you could rest the light on that if you didn't want to cut anything away, those tops go for like $40.00 last time I checked.

I am stuck between doing the Aquastyles Kit and the Ecoxotic strips. Do you think one is better than the other?

Well Aquastyles kit is like 1/2 the price, I am just wondering about here quality.

Quality is fantastic. See above. I am trying to get a hold of a PAR meter to get more specifics on my setup but after I flipped em on last night I was thoroughly impressed.

After assembling my kit I will be ordering a couple more for my shallow tank in the near future, as I am also impressed by the quality and the coverage of these. I am currently using 3 boost par 30 leds over my shallow frag tank and next to this light they don't even look like there on. And I payed more for all three of those lights then this kit!!!

DimePieceReef

Hey everyone! I was curious if anyone had any other way of contacting Ray other then the contact us link on the website. I used that feature on friday and have yet to recieve a response. From reading this thread I know hes a good guy but lately not so easy to get a hold of. Thanks again in advance.

Hi I have what is known to you lot in the states as the NanoWave 9. Its a 9-10gal all in one tank, 16 inches across x 13 inches front to back (including the sump area in the back) x 13.5 inches tall. *sorry for the weird sounding measurements, I am used to cms hehe*. Well I am wanting to up grade the light unit to LEDs to reduce the heating issue I have with the 2x 24W PC lights in the hood and would like help in deciding which LED kit from Aquastyles is best suited for my tank.

Am not interested in SPS but wouldn't totally rule it out either but currently its Softies and LPS. Was looking at the 14 LED (42w total) Dimmable DIY kit. Would this be plenty? To much? Not enough?

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

Hi I have what is known to you lot in the states as the NanoWave 9. Its a 9-10gal all in one tank, 16 inches across x 13 inches front to back (including the sump area in the back) x 13.5 inches tall. *sorry for the weird sounding measurements, I am used to cms hehe*. Well I am wanting to up grade the light unit to LEDs to reduce the heating issue I have with the 2x 24W PC lights in the hood and would like help in deciding which LED kit from Aquastyles is best suited for my tank.

Am not interested in SPS but wouldn't totally rule it out either but currently its Softies and LPS. Was looking at the 14 LED (42w total) Dimmable DIY kit. Would this be plenty? To much? Not enough?

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

The 14 led kit should be fine. Ray always sends a couple extra LEDs as well so you'll be good with that kit.

Hey everyone! I was curious if anyone had any other way of contacting Ray other then the contact us link on the website. I used that feature on friday and have yet to recieve a response. From reading this thread I know hes a good guy but lately not so easy to get a hold of. Thanks again in advance.

Hello!

Ray did not answer to me for weeks, until I make the order...After that he is very quick to answer.

And for everyone: the actinic violet(420nm) is out of stock right now, will be at the weekend.

Also one question how to order the LEDs? i bought a 24 dimmable kit 12xRB,10xCW,2xAV with 60degree optics,300x180mm heatsink for my 50x50x50cm cube...a made these designs:

post-71914-1329325044_thumb.jpg

post-71914-1329325058_thumb.jpg

Which will be the best, or do you have better order?

Thanks

Archived