inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Good morning miss Kat,what are we learning about today?

:blush: Good morning to you.

College Football? I need to learn about it actually.

Like you said Kat a lot of foods are high in phosphates. The trick is to get them in your fish as quick as possible so that they don't leave phosphates behind willy nilly without benefits to the fish. Of course the fish break it down and poop it out so its a cycle. The cycle of life. :P lol

I love NLS pellets and so do all my fish. They are keeping my Powder Blue and sailfin looking very healthy along with sheets of nori.

NLS FTW. I bought another bottle of Dr G's LPS liquid food. The copious fluid is crammed with copepods, roe, mysis, brine shrimp etc. It's designed for LPS as the name suggests but I feed it for my mandarins. Sam looks to be on the brink of death by starvation, especially when I travel. He gets target fed when I don't travel, twice a day at least. He likes to eat everything, but never more than one morsel. It is very frustrating. I wish I could catch him to put him in the sump where he will not have competition for food and can take his own sweet time.

Well, any juicy scandals like Honey Badger? (and anybody think it's funny that he gets picked to be in a state with legalized marijuana? :lol: )

Cant believe Im the only one that questioned this....LOL!

Well that's because we were discussing refractometers.

I was looking for the redSea refractometer, where per chance did you pick it up?

My LFS gave me the one that was dropped off by Red Sea to try

I've been emailing Red sea about it for over a month

Going on the subject, bought the Apex conductivity module/probe, calibrated to 53 mS to 35 ppt.

Instant Ocean hydrometer (sacrilege) reads my tank at 1.026. Apex tells me 32 ppt. Which one to believe. (Hence question of refractometer)

Between the 2 I would go with Apex. But truthfully I use a hydrometer when I mix up water. I test the tank with it then my water with it. If it matches I'm good. The hydrometer can be off of course, however I use it to match the new water to the tank water, not to test for accuracy of the salinity in my tank.

• Like 1

Well, any juicy scandals like Honey Badger? (and anybody think it's funny that he gets picked to be in a state with legalized marijuana? :lol: )

It's the off-season. No major scandals right now. The 5 big conferences want autonomy from the NCAA when it comes to rules and stuff. They are beginning to pay student athletes now. The BCS bowl series is different now, with a vote-in playoff style thing. It's going to be weird. I'm starting to be over NCAA football, which is saying a lot because I grew up a HUGE NCAA football fan. Too much nonsense and hype and drama.

It's the off-season. No major scandals right now. The 5 big conferences want autonomy from the NCAA when it comes to rules and stuff. They are beginning to pay student athletes now. The BCS bowl series is different now, with a vote-in playoff style thing. It's going to be weird. I'm starting to be over NCAA football, which is saying a lot because I grew up a HUGE NCAA football fan. Too much nonsense and hype and drama.

Who's your team?

Who's your team?

Georgia. Rough season for us, but I'm just tired of the whole college thing. Sommuch hype, so much pressure on kids to play a game. Not to mention I am biased working in academia right now... sports gets a LOT of money. Science, not so much ;)

Thats what I basically do. My frags are taking off now and have encrusted the disc over the past 2 and a half weeks. Don't want to rock the boat so I have been leaving it at 32 ppt and a stable hydrometer reading.

• Like 1

Oh. I apologize. I actually skipped past the 3 hour lecture on how to calibrate a refractometer.

<YAWNN>

• Like 1

Hooked up the canister filter for a deep clean weekend. Crud be gone. Also pulled out some tufts of bryopsis.

Like cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer,satisfying lol.

Also my calendar says flag day,I got excited and thought it said Frag day lol.

• Like 1

:lol: probably not, he makes rather thoughtful sculptures.

BTW I'm still looking for blue clove polyps. Mike TR sent me a plug but it didn't survive. PolarCollision sent me a plug and it took 10 days to get to me. Package was destroyed and of course smelled lovely. Good thing I was away from home and TS got the privilege of opening it.

blue_daisies.jpg

• Like 1