Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Calibrate with DI and cross check with a proper salinity standard. Cant go wrong.

I was just going to suggest this.

use your old refractometer with the calibration fluid of 35 ppt, and then test your salinity

Then calibrate the new red sea refractometer with DI, as per instructions, and then test your salinity.

I'll bet they're close.

So it sounds like Red Sea and D-D refractometers are different from the usual ones we all have. I wonder why there is an automatic disbelief of the accuracy of these instruments because of the calibration with DI? It's never to late to learn something new.

you said you're 63 , not much learnin' time left

*ducks*

• Like 2
jedimasterben

So it sounds like Red Sea and D-D refractometers are different from the usual ones we all have. I wonder why there is an automatic disbelief of the accuracy of these instruments because of the calibration with DI? It's never to late to learn something new.

That is explained in the article from RHF I linked to above, check out the graphs :)

I wrote a post a while back explaining it, but long story short when you calibrate at a point other than where you plan to measure, you will have an error because of the scale factor.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317951-refractometer-calibration/?p=4147326

• Like 2
I wrote a post a while back explaining it, but long story short when you calibrate at a point other than where you plan to measure, you will have an error because of the scale factor. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317951-refractometer-calibration/?p=4147326'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317951-refractometer-calibration/?p=4147326
I like your post. But there is also this:

Hold up. There are 2 types of refracto's that we see in the hobby. If it says calibrate with RO, it is a seawater refractomoter and you are fine to use just RO. You don't want to use another fluid on a seawater refractometer because it can lead to skewed results. Using a calibration fluid other than RO will most likely give you inaccurate results. If the refractometer says brine or salt anywhere on it, or the directions say to use a certain mS/cm solution, it must be calibrated using the specific fluid. Here's a good but long article on refractometers and how off they can get if not properly calibrated: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php'>http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php
  • Like 2

lol @ 62

Also - Kat, you have both refractometers.

Here's an idea, to follow up with NanoTopia's. Calibrate them both as per their instructions, and take a water reading with both. Then do it 2 more times, calibrating in between. Post all 3 runs of each of the 2 refractometers. Then we'll have a measure of how close or variable they are.

Again, my feeling is that the Red Sea refractometer may have some value, however because we use synthetic salt water (with 35ppt as the read out) and not actual, natural sea water the normal refracs are probably a better bet for our tanks. In addition, the companies that make the salt likely use standard refractometers for QC purposes, meaning that using normal refractometers put us more in line with their measurements.

I know reef builders used the Red Sea a bunch and said they found their water salinity was low, and they used some other refractometer for comparison to show that the Red Sea was correct.

• Like 1

I think I need to get a Milwaukee and test it all together and post it for y'all.

lol @ 62 Also - Kat, you have both refractometers. Here's an idea. Calibrate them both as per their instructions, and take a water reading with both. Then do it 2 more times, calibrating in between. Post all 3 runs of each of the 2 refractometers. Then we'll have a measure of how close or variable

Done and done. Results stay as previously reported.

Again, my feeling is that the Red Sea refractometer may have some value, however because we use synthetic salt water (with 35ppt as the read out) and not actual, natural sea water the normal refracs are probably a better bet for our tanks. In addition, the companies that make the salt likely use standard refractometers for QC purposes, meaning that using normal refractometers put us more in line with their measurements.

That is assuming the salt manufacturers use a the hand held kind which, frankly I don't see any mad scientists doing in a commercial facility. They likely have everything via a controller even. They do not use hobby grade refractometers. Only we do.

From that reef keeping article:

Refractometer Calibration

Assuming that a refractometer is made correctly for the fluid it is intended to measure, the way to calibrate a refractometer is to put a liquid of known refractive index on it, and adjust the scale's position by turning the calibration screw (Figure 3) until it reads correctly. When a refractometer is perfectly calibrated, it will show the fluid's exact refractive index (assuming that it reports the results in refractive index, but this is not always the case).

WORLD CUP YO!!!!!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The calibration fluid that you use will make ZERO difference if you are trying to measure a certain point on a scale. Refractometers all only measure one thing - refractive index. You can make different solutions that mix up to the same refractive index, it makes no difference, as they are all equal according to their reading, and refractometers will read them as the same and can be calibrated to that point, and any solution with the same refractive index will read as the same.

Moar.

Imperfect Refractometer Use: Scale Misunderstanding and Salt Refractometers

Refractometers can lead to incorrect readings in additional ways and, again, these issues abound for reef aquarists. One is that many refractometers are intended to measure sodium chloride solutions, not seawater. These are often called salt or brine refractometers. =>>Despite the scale reading in ppt (‰) or specific gravity, they are not intended to be used for seawater. Unfortunately, many refractometers used by aquarists fall into this category. In fact, very few refractometers used by hobbyists are true seawater refractometers.<==

Fortunately for aquarists, the differences between a salt refractometer and a seawater refractometer are not too large. A 35 ppt sodium chloride solution (3.5 weight percent sodium chloride in water) has the same refractive index as a 33.3 ppt seawater solution, so the error in using a perfectly calibrated salt refractometer is about 1.7 ppt, or 5% of the total salinity. This error is significant, in my opinion, but not usually enough to cause a reef aquarium to fail, assuming the aquarist has targeted an appropriate salinity in the first place.

Brazil should not have won that match

Right you are

That 2nd goal on the penalty was crap, but Croatia only scored because Brazil scored on themselves. The first and 3rd goal were legit, imo.

I think I need to get a Milwaukee and test it all together and post it for y'all.

Done and done. Results stay as previously reported.

That is assuming the salt manufacturers use a the hand held kind which, frankly I don't see any mad scientists doing in a commercial facility. They likely have everything via a controller even. They do not use hobby grade refractometers. Only we do.

They don't use mad scientists in their labs, I'd be willing to bet. I'd also be willing to bet you'd be surprised at how manufacturers cut corners ;) I'm sure they have hand helds all over

7:40 pm

DT is at sunset

Fuge on

That 2nd goal on the penalty was crap, but Croatia only scored because Brazil scored on themselves. The first and 3rd goal were legit, imo.

That self score was idiotic.

New life spectrum pellets are high in phosphates

:blush::wub:

Like you said Kat a lot of foods are high in phosphates. The trick is to get them in your fish as quick as possible so that they don't leave phosphates behind willy nilly without benefits to the fish. Of course the fish break it down and poop it out so its a cycle. The cycle of life. :P lol

I love NLS pellets and so do all my fish. They are keeping my Powder Blue and sailfin looking very healthy along with sheets of nori.