inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

DRLOVEtoreef

pffft. why?! They're a great 'filler' coral. Yes it can be invasive sometimes.

:wub:

biggest problem with clove poylps IME is they tend to spread and take over your whole tank .. they aren't like green star polyps that you can isolate them ... they will pop up everywhere in your tank and eventually choke out all of the sexy goodness you are rocking :wub:

• Like 2

pffft. why?! They're a great 'filler' coral. Yes it can be invasive all the time.

ftfy. they spawn and grow in your zoas and on the frags of the expensive stuff.

refer to and take note of blue polyps growing in lower right. I put them in this tank because aside from the trash, this is the last stop for anything that goes in. Anyone wanting anything from here gets fair warning about fw's and cloves.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/322986-75g-deep-blue-rimless/?p=4651808

• Like 2

First dose of nualgi added.

I've not seen any diatom blooms. Watch your coral colors in about a week. Pick something that's not as colorful as it should be and see if it's any better. My guess is that any improvement in coloration is due to diatoms using up the phosphates. I can no longer wait for them to try and outcompete cyano.. i'm goin the chemiclean route.

• Like 1

Blue cloves is a great filler but I have had them grow on the stony part of lps making it impossible to frag them without getting some of the little blue SOBs on them. I got a beautiful frag of some zoas that has about 5 of the little demons in it I hope to kill them with aiptasia x before they start spawning. I should have quarantined the frag but I never expected the blue cloves in it. I don't like blue cloves in my tank in someone else tank they are fantastic just don't expect me to get any corals from them.

I've not seen any diatom blooms. Watch your coral colors in about a week. Pick something that's not as colorful as it should be and see if it's any better. My guess is that any improvement in coloration is due to diatoms using up the phosphates. I can no longer wait for them to try and outcompete cyano.. i'm goin the chemiclean route.

I'm not sure there are any freely available phosphates. I routinely prune the fuge which is stuffed with macros. The xenia is growing like a forest, and I run GFO. Hey I could be wrong, I don't know how exactly nualgi works. I'm also thinking the next dose should be put in the sump where the flow is gentle and it has a smaller area to work it's magic in before being sucked into the rest of the system.

jedimaster1138

I shall make the King's Ransom's pretty tonight, I hope. In fact maybe I'll put them in the big tank so the cyano can get to them :) The redred's have mostly covered the disk, I think, and the Sour Apples ate the disk :)

Tonight my brother in law is in town and tomorrow we're all at the game, but I'm home Thursday and free I *think*. If you want to hook up then, hit me up big man. Just don't judge me by my cyano!

Those twizzlers are insane. I smell a trade! I have just the spot for a red planet colony... *twitch*

EDIT - I've decided the red zoas are "commonly" called Bam Bams. Anyone say otherwise? This is under a 2:1 ratio of 450 nm and 405 nm LED's only. I was playing with the camera one night.

I can't do Thursday, we have a massive Easter party in the planning and I have so much to do! Here's a hint of a few menu items:

Lasagna, rib roast, BBQ octopus, broccoli rabb, shrimp....I better stop I'm getting hungry!!

Can u believe I was coming home from queens at 2am today and it was SNOWING!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

Oh and the Wild life inspector is coming on Friday. Would it be ok if I stashed 4 jumbo piranhas at your place for the weekend? Lol!!!! It's ok, I already confessed to having them, and they don't care. They'll just add them to the tab.

Lets hook up next week for sure.

Btw, your zoas and palys look HOT!

zoanthidsactinicLED_zps7e0a0ba1.jpg

Sounds good big man. Next week for sure. PS - I've been talking to Alyssa....twitch. I walked Penny in the snow last night. It goes without saying, she did not make the appropriate deposit...she hates making deposits in the weather.

Can I put the piranhas in the tub? And put the co-op board in there with them? (i'm not totally joking...)

Hi-resolution FTS. Rehype FTW. Click to enlarge

FTS_2-2.jpg

FTS_3-2.jpg

JF Setosa

setosa-3.jpg

Side view

side%2520shot_2-2.jpg

Bali Green Slimer

acro_1-2.jpg

Completely gorgeous pictures. Well played Kitty. I'm almost tempted to post mine in my thread, but I've told you I've my superstition when it comes to my pictures :) PS that Jason Fox setosa is nuts isn't it? I have the same one. I love how it glows even under 2 Blue+ bulbs. Nearly lights up the room.

Well done tank. PS - why not put the crocea on that flat rock on the right? Looks like you have space there.

Kat, if you want some blue clove/snowflake and you cannot find anyone locally to give it to you or sell it to you really cheap let me know. I will get you a frag after its grown out again.

Yes it can be invasive but it doesn't really sting. So I am rather unconcerned about where it grows. I rather like the stuff, about 1/3rd of my rock was coveredin it before I crashed the tank last year. If I wanted to put a coral in a spot that had it I just did. It would always die back from the new coral.

• Like 1

pffft. why?! They're a great 'filler' coral. Yes it can be invasive sometimes.

:wub:

Let's see what are happening to mine. I bought a rock of them 6 months ago and put it in my 40. They seemed to stay put, no problem. 5 months later ... look, some blue clove polyps over here, other side of the tank, maybe 10 of them. Cute. Another month, same thing, only more of them in more places. The rock is now in my little 20 to spread the love. :)

I too like fillers and even some invasive corals, but I think these things can gain enough momentum to really be a problem. The biggest issue I see is polyps getting in the space between zoas and palys and becoming almost impossible to remove.

Side view

side%2520shot_2-2.jpg

What is the blue/green birdsnest/digitata/poci like coral in the middle? :)

Well done tank. PS - why not put the crocea on that flat rock on the right? Looks like you have space there.

Where? do some arrow pointy thingees on one picture.

Kat, if you want some blue clove/snowflake and you cannot find anyone locally to give it to you or sell it to you really cheap let me know. I will get you a frag after its grown out again.

Yes it can be invasive but it doesn't really sting. So I am rather unconcerned about where it grows. I rather like the stuff, about 1/3rd of my rock was coveredin it before I crashed the tank last year. If I wanted to put a coral in a spot that had it I just did. It would always die back from the new coral.

I first saw it and read about ElFab's attempts to get it to grow. It can be invasive but it is also easily brushed away and glued over.

What is the blue/green birdsnest/digitata/poci like coral in the middle? :)

The sides of the tank are darker than the front so the colors here are very blue. That is a yellow porites. and it really is yellow.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure flatworm exit makes it spawn.. i'mma test this theory pretty soon.

Well well, I used FWE 3 times in that tank and I was about to use it in my 20.

Alright so HYPOTHETICALLY if I were to get a pico going, what could I stock it with. Has to be completely different than my Max.

Softies

The Dollhouse fuge re-visited

Bright shrooms and gobies

Ruby Reds with, I don't know, maybe white pulsing Xenia

A huge tang

• Like 3

Alright so HYPOTHETICALLY if I were to get a pico going, what could I stock it with. Has to be completely different than my Max.

Softies

A huge tang

you can't put a single tang in a pico.. it will be lonely.. you're going to need at least two :)

stuff it to the hilt with shrooms of various colors and textures.. and one or two gorgs.. and some bright colored little fish.. B)

• Like 2

All SPS, fed daily, big water changes once a week. :) Maybe one hermit for cleanup.

I will do this one day. No fish to worry about and starting with all dry and clean rock.

I had this crazy will never do it idea of multiple picos each with a different acro and something on the rocks to balance the colors. No fish, just corals and big water changes weekly.

jedimaster1138

Where? do some arrow pointy thingees on one picture.

That's what, a Miyagi tort up front? Is there space behind, I can't tell. Looks like a flat rock...

clamspot_zpscebf6621.jpg

jedimaster1138

Softies

A huge tang

Pfft. THE KRAKEN

the-kraken-existence2.jpg

• Like 2

That's what, a Miyagi tort up front? Is there space behind, I can't tell. Looks like a flat rock...

clamspot_zpscebf6621.jpg

okay, yes it's a flat rock. It has 2 leptastreas on it (and some SPS and zoas) but that's not important. What is important is the PAR. That area gets about 250 PAR. which I don't think is good enough for a crocea.

Pfft. THE KRAKEN

OMG SHOULD I DO AN OCTOPUS?!