Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben
I don't have a lot of things to plug in, but i got a surge protector with 2 sockets plugged into one outlet (a plastic part goes into the other), with 6 outlets on it.. and i use 6/6,

1. t5ho's

2. Led strip

3 & 4- Koralia 425

5. Filter

6. Heater

And so far nothing has happened... I don't think i should be plugging so many things in one outlet, but thats less than yours!

50w

10w

8w

15w

60w

You can pull up to 15 amps from a single power outlet, and you're pulling about 1.3-1.5A.

Deleted User 3

Oh good. Thanks! I just don't wanna overload it. I'm always afraid my electric heaters are going to blow up too, or start on fire... I guess im paranoid about electric things, ha ha.

jedimasterben
Oh good. Thanks! I just don't wanna overload it. I'm always afraid my electric heaters are going to blow up too, or start on fire... I guess im paranoid about electric things, ha ha.

Usually the thing that scares people about heaters is that they sit for a while and get dust built up on them, then when they're flipped on they have that sorta burning smell, but it's pretty harmless.

I've only tripped one breaker one time in my house. I had three people over and we were playing video games, and when my dehumidifier kicked on and it tripped. We were just like WTF. That thing pulls like 550w when the compressor and heater kick on! My whole reef uses about half that much power. :o

Deleted User 3

Yeah, when you first turn them on in fall they have that smell.. blech lol. I don't use the one by the front door because mice get it underneath, and destroy the insulation, so i have some insulation under it, and i'm afraid something will happen :P I clean my heaters eery so often though. They suck, last night i had it on like 70 or 71, and it was still pretty chilly in my living room and bedroom, yet my friend who has the same heaters but lives in a different building, turns hers on for 5 minutes, and then off.. and it's hot as hades in her apartment ALL day.

That's crazy! I've tripped the breaker at my moms, i used the microwave when the A/C units were on... and poof the kitchen and living room electricity goes off lol. I've also had it happen when I lived with my sister and her dad, I don't remember what I was doing, but it tripped and i had to go in the basement in the dark and find the box and flip the right switch.. which took a bit since none of them were labeled.. lol.

U think so??

Yeah, I'd go with 2 rocks instead of one.

50w

10w

8w

15w

60w

You can pull up to 15 amps from a single power outlet, and you're pulling about 1.3-1.5A.

This.

It's not about how many things you plug in, but about how much current/power they draw.

You should have Albert put your pics in his new book.It might increase sales.

I'm sure he will do just fine on his own. I'm curious to read the chapter on lighting.if he had not burned his bridges with me, I would be honest and tell him what everyone else is too polite to say. albert has a brown tank. Brown corals are not normal. His are brown, either his parameters are screwed or his lighting is fit for the trash,. I can't blame people for trying to be polite in not pointing out the obvious lack of any color in his tank. I admire his googling abilities, and for reposting content from reef builders. Too bad all the actual Q and A is getting lost.

His knowledge on stuff is amazing and admirable, but his astounding weakness is identification of things. Simply clueless in that regard. If you post a picture of something asking what it is, he has no answer about 9 times out of 10. But if you ask a question without visuals, example 'I found colonial hydroids, how can get rid of them' his answer is absolutely on point, and excellently written.

Am I being harsh? Yes. Good thing I'm not running in a popularity contest. Oh oops, bad example. Ha ha.

This.

It's not about how many things you plug in, but about how much current/power they draw.

Well, Ben has freaked me out sufficiently so he should consider helping me figure out the amps I am using for my tank.

jedimasterben
Well, Ben has freaked me out sufficiently so he should consider helping me figure out the amps I am using for my tank.

I told you how you can easily calculate that, and you can use the Kill-a-Watt unit on everything that is in that room to add up how many amps everything pulls. :P

I told you how you can easily calculate that, and you can use the Kill-a-Watt unit on everything that is in that room to add up how many amps everything pulls. :P

:blush: I couldn't get past the "you're going up in flames" visuals.

The vortech foam guards are collecting too much detritus. I suppose that's not a bad thing, to have extra filtration, however unintended. Ever since I've installed the sump, the filter sock is all that I clean every 3 days. At 300 microns, it is obviously still not picking up everything. I suppose it has to do with the total volume of water that is actually filtered. I am not convinced that the entire systems water is circulated by one mag5 pump.

Edited by metrokat
jedimasterben
:blush: I couldn't get past the "you're going up in flames" visuals.

The vortech foam guards are collecting too much detritus. I suppose that's not a bad thing, to have extra filtration, however unintended. Ever since I've installed the sump, the filter sock is all that I clean every 3 days. At 300 microns, it is obviously still not picking up everything. I suppose it has to do with the total volume of water that is actually filtered. I am not convinced that the entire systems water is circulated by one mag5 pump.

:huh: Why wouldn't it be? I have a cheap no-name waterfall pump that runs my tank right now, and it turns over the water at least 4 times an hour.

btw, I've got no mechanical filtration right now, and my tank is looking better than ever. B)

jedimasterben
I know what it says on paper. I'm not convinced IRL if ALL the water gets circulated.

Why wouldn't it? The pump pulls water around it, which would make a void if there was not water also falling from the overflow into the sump and through the chambers. Unless you have something that is sealing water off somewhere, it is being turned over, even lower-flow areas get water movement and turnover.

I suppose you have a point... Kat, have you tested your drip loops? I hear that water can sometimes climb power cords through capillary action and explode fish tanks.

Who's familiar with Downtown Miami? Ben! Where you at? I have a few hours each day to go off and do fun stuff... (sad to find out that Coralmorpologic doesn't have a storefront) where the hell are the University chicks hanging out every night? What time do bars close in Florida?

jedimasterben
I suppose you have a point... Kat, have you tested your drip loops? I hear that water can sometimes climb power cords through capillary action and explode fish tanks.

Who's familiar with Downtown Miami? Ben! Where you at? I have a few hours each day to go off and do fun stuff... (sad to find out that Coralmorpologic doesn't have a storefront) where the hell are the University chicks hanging out every night? What time do bars close in Florida?

#### miami with a roasted spatula. That whole city is a big pile of garbage as far as I care.

Then again, I'm boring as #### and would rather spend my time on my own couch than out partying, so what do I know. :lol:

#### miami with a roasted spatula. That whole city is a big pile of garbage as far as I care.

Then again, I'm boring as #### and would rather spend my time on my own couch than out partying, so what do I know. :lol:

You're the married Floridian version of my brother. I don't understand... Zeph! I assume you've gone clamming down here! Where are the good spots?

jedimasterben
You're the married Floridian version of my brother. I don't understand... Zeph! I assume you've gone clamming down here! Where are the good spots?

:haha: :haha:

:rolleyes:

South Beach is where the action is. Specifically on Ocean Drive.

You can hang out at the Delano, out back with the cabanas and infiniti pool. The hottest clams make that a hangout.

Kat would hang out with me.

I havnt been to Florida since I was a kid, But I think Kats right - South Beach is the SHIZZLE!

I havnt been to Florida since I was a kid, But I think Kats right - South Beach is the SHIZZLE!

Z ocean hotel, on collins avenue, with it's private rooftop roman tubs with a duplex suite. Ahhh memories.

Britto gallery, Lincoln road hang outs. Perfect. Too bad I'm not a sun and beach person.

I just want to say that Wyoming white clownfish have a prime spot in the ugliest fish hall of fame list I carry in my head. As a scientist or biologist or genealogist or whatever, I am certain that the morphs are cool to create, like dogs and cats of mixed breed lineages. I'm just expressing my personal opinion that these poor fish look revolting.

jedimasterben
I just want to say that Wyoming white clownfish have a prime spot in the ugliest fish hall of fame list I carry in my head. As a scientist or biologist or genealogist or whatever, I am certain that the morphs are cool to create, like dogs and cats of mixed breed lineages. I'm just expressing my personal opinion that these poor fish look revolting.

people grab the up like hotcakes because they're high-priced. Sanjay Joshi calls this collectoritis, and that it is pushing the hobby into a place that no one wants it to go. I don't want a tank with 150 different 1/2" frags of SPS and be like "oooh, this one is an 'OMG berry blitzy acro' and cost $150 an inch, this one is 'clown puke in a can' milli, and was $400" etc. I'd be happy with a friggin ginormous monti cap, a birdsnest the size of my head, and a nice tabling acro. DONE.