Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

removed all acropora. seriously considering taking the whole damn tank down.

idk wtf is going on.

expect a huge FS thread in the near future.

:o NO No NO NO No

• Like 1

:o NO

i just can't do this anymore. everytime i come home there's a nightmare. yet everytime i move the coral to the frag tank it recovers. what's the point of having an SPS display if no SPS will survive in it? I'd rather enjoy a healthy frag tank than a stressful display any day.

• Like 3

i just can't do this anymore. everytime i come home there's a nightmare. yet everytime i move the coral to the frag tank it recovers. what's the point of having an SPS display if no SPS will survive in it? I'd rather enjoy a healthy frag tank than a stressful display any day.

I do understand, nothing worse than seeing things die in a tank. What about converting it to LPS or a nem tank like Mr. Microscope's conversion. Just an option to selling it.

I do understand, nothing worse than seeing things die in a tank. What about converting it to LPS or a nem tank like Mr. Microscope's conversion. Just an option to selling it.

Mom likes LPS. Might just do that... Maybe give zoas a try. Sucks when you can't keep the coral you want the most for mystery reasons.

You think it could be the lights? That's the only difference since things started going south

• Like 1

Easy way to tell if it's your lights. Put a frag on the sandbed and see how it fairs. I've Rtn'd a birdsnest in a day by putting it in too much light, however I cannot explain why my tubs birdsnest does well up top but my magenta bird only does well near the sand. I've also had encrusting montis grow from dime sized frags to about 2" in diameter and then bleach out and recede.

I had an ALK/Calcium swing which took it's toll on a few SPS. They STNd and wouldn't stop even after fragging. I was making changes too rapidly to correct the swing which did not help either. I'm moving more slowly now and for the moment the problem has not persisted.

Dont give up.

One more strike and I'm done with this tank.

Thanks for the support though. ;/

Easy way to tell if it's your lights. Put a frag on the sandbed and see how it fairs. I've Rtn'd a birdsnest in a day by putting it in too much light, however I cannot explain why my tubs birdsnest does well up top but my magenta bird only does well near the sand. I've also had encrusting montis grow from dime sized frags to about 2" in diameter and then bleach out and recede.

i guess it's not the lights. acros from top to bottom all began to STN.

Have you tested for stray voltage?

Last resort I'll probably try is dumping food in the tank daily, something like live phyto. and oyster feast every night. Try growing some algae on those rocks.

Have you tested for stray voltage?

Last resort I'll probably try is dumping food in the tank daily, something like live phyto. and oyster feast every night. Try growing some algae on those rocks.

how would i test for stray voltage? i'l do a quick google now.

i've been feeding daily and running the skimmer less. i finally have some brown/green algae on the glass and rocks.

Stn from bottom up?

yep. slowly. very slowly. <1cm per week

Mom likes LPS. Might just do that... Maybe give zoas a try. Sucks when you can't keep the coral you want the most for mystery reasons.

You think it could be the lights? That's the only difference since things started going south

Probably not your lights unless you are not running a long enough photo period.

In any case I think it is likely chemistry causing the issue. "101 Reasons SPS STN"...

#1. Alkalinity fluctuations, changes in alkalinity cause stress on corals resulting in STN.

#2. Maricultured corals (in general), rapid change from NSW parameters, shipping stress, and introduction to an artificial seawater within a relatively short period of time, in many cases a couple of days. Extreme stress on the coral resulting in a gradual STN.

#3. Salinity out of range, high or low salinity that falls out of NSW range, or out of range for a given species.

#32. Too much or too aggressive carbon, tissue thins and begins to STN. Mystery cause because you can't test for it.

#61. Lack of trace elements in the water, usage, lack of water changes, poor salt quality, over skimming, and skimming wet can deplete water of trace elements over time.

#88. Relying on crappy test kits that give false readings and makes you over react to a situation that does not even exist. e.g.. Hanna Checkers.

#101. Going on vacation and having an under qualified person take care of your tank. e.g.. babysitter.

-- from my book LOL.

• Like 1

Chuckles help I guess. :P

Hopefully whatever was stressing the sps in my 65 out doesn't make its way into the frag tank.

Ya, mostly just kidding around, the only chance you could transfer the problem to the other tank is if it was a bacterial infection or AEFW causing the STN. Otherwise I think your safe.

after meticulously writing down everything i do (or is different) with each tank and compared the lists the only things that are different are:

lighting: t5 vs halide relatively same photoperiod around 10H

Waterchanges: frag tank gets 10G, display gets 5G.

feeding: display gets fed way more

sump with LR on frag tank vs. fuge/sump on display

frag tank has 60x turn over for flow, display has 2 mp10wes pulse mode @ 75% (whatever turnover that is) + 600gph RP

So display is halide? Any chance IR is making it into the tank via a missing light shield? I don't do halide so I'm echoing what I've heard others ask, so the question might be silly.

So display is halide? Any chance IR is making it into the tank via a missing light shield? I don't do halide so I'm echoing what I've heard others ask, so the question might be silly.

frag tank is halide