Pod Your Reef

**WARNING: UNRELATED TO REEFING**

i've been contemplating what to do after my undergrad. my initial plan was PT school but as i did my credited internship there i can say it's not for me. (granted a 6 figure paycheck would-a been nice). being an athlete it was painful to see people come in with problems that prevented their daily activities. Initially it was my future goal to get people healthy again to chase their goals. as time went on it wore on me; seeing people in their weakest state crawling their way back to normal. i couldn't handle it. i now have a new found respect for the medical industry: seeing pain, heartbreak, and frustration on a daily basis got exhausting.

So i began a new path, collegiate xc and track coaching. granted it's not the most well paid job but involves working with people that are trying to be great. It may be ignorant of me to prefer to work with people who are healthy versus those that aren't but due to a variety of reasons i began the chase for a coaching job.

Right now i go to North central college, a DIII XC powerhouse, with a coach that was named coach of the century across all three collegiate NCAA devisions. He's been helping me find a volunteer/GA coaching job in division I and after a few weeks i received my first call from Boise St. in Idaho. He's an alumni of NCC and has a pretty established reputation in DI, and he said that if i wanted, the volunteer coaching spot was mine. as of right now i'm 80% committed to taking this job. the only thing holding me back is graduate school. Right now the most logical choice would be to attend graduate school there and get a master's in kinesiology while coaching and working.

This is so exciting i can't even think straight. unfortunately i can't leave 2 tanks in the care of my parents. so one will either be sold off or is coming with me. i'll for sure have a little reef out there if i decide to take the job, and i've already given it some thought... ;):ninja: it's gonna be top freggin notch.

TLDR?

i might be a DI XC coach if i take the offer

i may sell the frag tank livestock off

i'm gonna set up a bad ass nano ;)

• Like 5

That sounds like a game plan! Reefing can always wait but your career and future can't. When I was still in university, my reefing path took a plunge... But a few years later I am back :) I am sure you will be the same since you have a passion for this hobby.

• Like 1

That sounds like a game plan! Reefing can always wait but your career and future can't. When I was still in university, my reefing path took a plunge... But a few years later I am back :) I am sure you will be the same since you have a passion for this hobby.

For sure. The Plan is to save up piece by piece and set it up and shock the world. Lol

• Like 1

Have things gotten better with the STN?

I figured out that the recent STN of my blue palmers mille and steve elias frags were due to too low DKH. I am not running ULNS anymore, so I raised my DKH from 8.0 to 9.5 (or was rather forced to do it because of a high DKH water change). I have upped my alk dosing to maintain 9.5 and lo and behold, I am getting better PE and new growth all over the place on most of my acros. I am going to continue to hold the DKH at 9.5 and see what happens.

It could be too low alk, not too high. Just something to think about as you try to problem solve your issues.

• Like 1

I figured out that the recent STN of my blue palmers mille and steve elias frags were due to too low DKH. I am not running ULNS anymore, so I raised my DKH from 8.0 to 9.5 (or was rather forced to do it because of a high DKH water change). I have upped my alk dosing to maintain 9.5 and lo and behold, I am getting better PE and new growth all over the place on most of my acros. I am going to continue to hold the DKH at 9.5 and see what happens.

It could be too low alk, not too high. Just something to think about as you try to problem solve your issues.

I'm keeping my tank at 7dKH, no STN and reasonable growth. Even in higher nutrients NSW Alk levels shouldn't cause STN, maybe slower growth but not STN. I solved all my STN problems when I took bio-pellets and GFO offline just over a year ago. In any case, corals don't like change, at least not rapid or frequent ones. I know there are many ways to do this and I think I've tried most of them now, it's all about the biology as far as I am concerned.

Roger, get the aminos dripping in, and don't fear algae, repeat after me the mantra... "Algae is my friend, algae is my friend" :lol:

• Like 1

I'm keeping my tank at 7dKH, no STN and reasonable growth. Even in higher nutrients NSW Alk levels shouldn't cause STN, maybe slower growth but not STN. I solved all my STN problems when I took bio-pellets and GFO offline just over a year ago. In any case, corals don't like change, at least not rapid or frequent ones. I know there are many ways to do this and I think I've tried most of them now, it's all about the biology as far as I am concerned.

Roger, get the aminos dripping in, and don't fear algae, repeat after me the mantra... "Algae is my friend, algae is my friend" :lol:

Ya, I know that many, many people run their DKH NSW levels (around 7dkh), but for some reason that has never worked for me. It is weird, I know. Even in my 60g cube with biopellets I ran my DKH at 9.5 and everything looked great and grew well. I have tried keeping DKH stable in this current tank at 7, 8, 8.5 and now 9.5 DKH and the higher the better. I agree that no longer using biopellets and GFO atm is helping.

That's why I took the skimmer from 24h to 12. Hoping it'll prevent excess nutrient removal. So far so good. Everything looks good.

All the coral I move to the frag tank looks amazing. Polyp extension galore. Maybe I should make that tank the display. Lol not so sure what the difference between the tanks are....

I'm not sure. My frag tank isn't an ULNS and the dkh is 7.4 and everything look stunning. I'm trying to get the systems to be the same. Lol

• Like 2

The coaching career sounds exciting, and you are right that the medical field is not for everyone as it can literally take its toll on you with all the bad things that happen around you on a day to day basis from what I have seen with my wife being an RN in open heart recovery.

I for one could never do it but working with people who are already good and only want to be better is a very appealing atmosphere imo.

Looking forward to your next build once you have gotten settled in.

The coaching career sounds exciting, and you are right that the medical field is not for everyone as it can literally take its toll on you with all the bad things that happen around you on a day to day basis from what I have seen with my wife being an RN in open heart recovery.

I for one could never do it but working with people who are already good and only want to be better is a very appealing atmosphere imo.

Looking forward to your next build once you have gotten settled in.

i guess that why the internship at a PT clinic was so beneficial to me, it really showed me what i would be doing on a daily basis, and i found it wasn't for me. life's about learning i guess.

as for the new build part of me wants to go over the top, but the realistic part of me wants to keep it simple.... lol

• Like 1

i guess that why the internship at a PT clinic was so beneficial to me, it really showed me what i would be doing on a daily basis, and i found it wasn't for me. life's about learning i guess.

as for the new build part of me wants to go over the top, but the realistic part of me wants to keep it simple.... lol

keep it simple with stupid nice equipment... oh hey check out my bubble king on mah 10g with pac sun lighting... just let me bust out my webcam view so I can watch the fish eat on my ipad while they eat in the tank right in front of me.

• Like 1

keep it simple with stupid nice equipment... oh hey check out my bubble king on mah 10g with pac sun lighting... just let me bust out my webcam view so I can watch the fish eat on my ipad while they eat in the tank right in front of me.

so tempted to make a thread planning it out, but i kinda wanna develop it out further and keep NR in the dark for a bit :P

• Like 1

I'm not sure. My frag tank isn't an ULNS and the dkh is 7.4 and everything look stunning. I'm trying to get the systems to be the same. Lol

Ya, there is no one way to do anything. Maybe you should plumb them together and let a little of the "good tank" rub off on the problem one? :D

Ya, there is no one way to do anything. Maybe you should plumb them together and let a little of the "good tank" rub off on the problem one? :D

i'd do that, but just my luck it'd go the other way. lol

• Like 1

CYANO ON THE SAND! lol

never thought i'd be so happy. hah gonna run the skimmer 16H now instead of 12H. gotta find the balance point.

also ramped up the 2 mp10's debating on switching to a pulse mode.

• Like 1

i can't understand why the ecotech marine youtube shows a video on how to upgrade a radion to the g3 radion pro, but once you try to buy the replacement kits it says you have to send it in get charged a $275 processing fee + the kit and then they ship it back. i'd have no problem doing the upgrade myself.... i'd like it for a future build.

i can't understand why the ecotech marine youtube shows a video on how to upgrade a radion to the g3 radion pro, but once you try to buy the replacement kits it says you have to send it in get charged a $275 processing fee + the kit and then they ship it back. i'd have no problem doing the upgrade myself.... i'd like it for a future build.

Hmmmmm I thought we could do the upgrade ourselves kinda like ai sol to vega...

Hmmmmm I thought we could do the upgrade ourselves kinda like ai sol to vega...

From ecotech:

"

Ryan Greenawalt (EcoTech Marine)

Jan 21 12:05 PM

Roger,

We will be having the upgrades available in the next couple of weeks. Current pricing is available on our parts store online. Gen 1 lights will have to be sent into us for service due to the change in some internal parts."

Also if you try to go to the parts store it says unavailable for purchase. And there's a note that says you have to send your light in.

I'm guessing that's what the $275 is for.

wish i could just leave the top be since i actually like the buttons and just get new clusters/fan/whatever else i need to upgrade to instal it myself.

but from what i've gathered from ecotech its just the $275 + shipping to upgrade.

bleh

I actually went to my LFS to check them out today, looks like a really sweet fixture. They offered me 20% discount on each unit I buy, which would be two If I intended on upgrading. It's soo tempting, my bulbs change is coming up in 2 months too. <_<

I actually went to my LFS to check them out today, looks like a really sweet fixture. They offered me 20% discount on each unit I buy, which would be two If I intended on upgrading. It's soo tempting, my bulbs change is coming up in 2 months too. <_<

discount? is that even possible? i remember they had that big sale a while back but that was before gen3.

what are you thinking of upgrading to? i love your 40G!