SaltCritters.com

I run 6 bulbs for only 3 hours. And I moved the fixture up 4". Every coral has been improving for the last 2 weeks then BAM. RTN. :/

That's why I wonder if it's a pest of some sort. Always starts at night?

I could be totally wrong of course but it might be time for some late night observing of the tank. I've had horrible horrible luck with acros but never sudden stn or rtn. I know I have a few digitate hydroids that were annoying some of my montis. Something odd like that.

I could be totally wrong of course but it might be time for some late night observing of the tank. I've had horrible horrible luck with acros but never sudden stn or rtn. I know I have a few digitate hydroids that were annoying some of my montis. Something odd like that.

Can't now. I'm at school. :/ I'll as the 'rents

Thanks. It's been a long road getting them colored up. It seems like I take 2 steps forward 1 step back. But I think I'm going in the right direction. :)

Well ur hard work is showing, I've only tested my salinity in my tank since I've set it up :)

thanks. :) i always seem to over-test/analyze/worry about things in my tank. :unsure:

I just let it ride lol once I start dosing I'll start doing tests but even then I'm lazy lol

• Like 1

i found something interesting. all of my oldest coral colonies are necrosing.

bali green: purchased may 2012

granulosa (just started necrosing) purchased january 2012

pink mille purchased january 2012

ugh. i'm now only running 4 bulbs at the peak for 8 hours. 10 hours total.

feeding has been increased as well.

:( i may pull these colonies frag what i can and move them to the frag tank.

I don't really know what it could be. It is either nutrients or an alk issue.... or some kind of contamination?

I don't think it's an alk issue. Or else everything would be going south. It's frustrating cause it's just my older colonies. Imma up tr water changes. 10g per week instead of 5.

What does your two part dosing consist of? Could it be an imbalance of some sort due to lack of dosing something combined with the smaller water changes?

What does your two part dosing consist of? Could it be an imbalance of some sort due to lack of dosing something combined with the smaller water changes?

BRS ca, soda ash, and mag. It's hard to justify an imbalance since only a few corals are going south.

I am inclined to say that it is a low nutrient problem then. IME, I would get STN from the base up on some corals and not others.

I know everyone has been hounding you to feed more, but I am not sure what else you can do if you feel that you can't feed more? Are you phosphates/nitrates always low? Maybe try running your skimmer off for 4 hours a day and see if anything happens? Just a thought.

I am inclined to say that it is a low nutrient problem then. IME, I would get STN from the base up on some corals and not others.

I know everyone has been hounding you to feed more, but I am not sure what else you can do if you feel that you can't feed more? Are you phosphates/nitrates always low? Maybe try running your skimmer off for 4 hours a day and see if anything happens? Just a thought.

I've been feeding a lot. 2x a day sometimes. But at least one full tank feeding per day. I think turning the skimmer off would help but I was worried how it would influence the ATO. markalot suggested dumping the cup of crap back in the tank. If I could figure out a way to keep the water level consistent in the sump regardless of if the skimmer is on or off I would have the skimmer run 12hours.

I dk. I had a 29g with less water and the same skimmer but I didn't have this problem? So frustrating.

BRS ca, soda ash, and mag. It's hard to justify an imbalance since only a few corals are going south.

I think this is either a false premise or is actually explainable. If you are missing a key ingredient that corals need then it might make sense that the older corals would go first. Strontium for example, most 2 part solutions include this but you aren't dosing it. Perhaps something else like iodine or potassium?

I think you are on the right track with larger water changes for a while, if for no other reason than removing some of the unknowns. I think most people who use BRS mixtures also make sure to dose the trace elements.